Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Первый этаж второй класс :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

We at day 3 yet?

We're at day 400 of the three day war.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

After the 2014 invasion prompted economic sanctions on Russia, Russia retaliated by banning food imports from Europe, famously including cheese from The Netherlands and other places. Russian cheese is awful so they then started to produce their own "Gouda" and other European styles to replace imports. The results were predictable. Here's a Vice piece about it:

https://youtu.be/Eq1-XRfUb7o

e: I was mistaken about which country sanctioned what, and corrected my post.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 1, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

They literally 0osted the code to Github. Code repositories store old versions forever. The only thing they could do would be to remove access, but I'm sure lots of people created forks (copies) of the original.

Elon owned himself pretty hard.

Github can and has rescinded access to forks based on the original repo being closed or banned or something like that. But plenty of people cloned it probably.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

The US is changing to 6.8mm for infantry, scouts, combat engineers, and special forces, too. I have a bunch of thoughts on that new platform in the context of what we're learning in the War in Ukraine. I just need to find time to write it (and, honestly, I'm unsure if regulars itt would even be interested.)

Fwiw I would be interested.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

At this point I'm unsure if that now-deleted MrLuca account was genuine, or a troll.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Haystack posted:

War in Ukraine: Minecraft Discord Steals War Thunder's Thunder

This is pretty good. Ditch the second Thunder imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

Where did this current topic come from anyway?

It all started this morning (Europe time) when Z telegram groups started circulating a doctored screenshot where the casualty numbers were crudely photoshopped.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

Aha poo poo, by topic I meant thread title. Sorry my english brain is not so good today.

Can't help you there, sorry. Don't speak Moomin.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paranoea posted:

It was set on the day Finland's NATO application was officially ratified (approved? accepted?). So: *hacker voice* I'm in.

Oh it means "hacker intonation" haha nice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/arictoler/status/1644464614850035714
Thug Shaker Central

This timeline I swear to god

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pretty sure the Ukrainians have bulldozers, so that's gonna be a speed bump at best?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

(Or maybe Macron actually achieved something with his diplomacy?)

lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Morrow posted:

Do the nukes even, like, work. Because one half of the start inspections is making sure that reported nuclear arsenals are actually extant.

I for one would never like to find out, tbh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Szarrukin posted:

One Polish (minor) far-right group unironically got mad that he gave Kaliningrad to Germany, not Poland.

We all know it really belongs to Czechia.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I saw an announcement of a new book about the war by Ukranian historian Serkhii Plokhy. Coming out next month:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63326676-the-russo-ukrainian-war

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vlad is an academic and intellectual, as far as I can determine he seems to have good insight into the Russian psyche. His video's have been very insightful and enlightening. Imo he suffers a tiny bit from some arrogance and talking down to his audience a touch but it's barely worth mentioning really. His insights into Russian politics and Russian public opinion and what drives it have been peerless on youtube, imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I used to think the NSA was worth poo poo, but this Discord stuff hase doubting

Unless it's a limited hangout psyop for that exact purpose of course

Well, NSA isn't the only game in town, by far. The US "Intelligence Community" is comprised of a massive number of different organizations and personnel. There are 18 or so "main" agencies and numerous smaller military, counter-terrorism, homeland security, etc. agencies.

And the recent leak suggests that the US disseminates highly classified and very sensitive intelligence reports very broadly. Hard to keep a tight ship if there's 2 million eyeballs on your top secret reports.
(It's hard to say how many people with TS clearance also actually have access to those kinds of reports, but it would seem to be many.)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Willo567 posted:

So EuromaidanPR is considered a lovely source right? Would this footage then be likely fake?
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1650439450155970560

GOIDA 09.05

heh, that's pretty good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if there was an offensive underway there would be evidence of an offensive underway

The offensive knows when it is underway because it knows when it isn't.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

gonna go down to Бургер Кинг and get myself a juicy биг кинг :v:

просто кринж бро

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In conclusion, using loanwords is fine and OP complaining about распутица should lighten up a bit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

No

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Based on reports about civilian casualties, and very little fanfare from Russia from recent attacks, it does seem like the numbers are at least very close to real. What is maybe used for propaganda by Ukraine is when a downed missile hits residential area, and it's not clear if it was going to hit it anyway or was targeting a supposed military facility. But then I'm not sure even Ukraine would be able to confirm it either way reliably, while Russia obviously claim they only attack military targets.

Did you miss the part where Russia hit a residential building, killing 20+ people including small children, and the Russian MoD posted the following image on their social media?

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1651864900220723200

The translation is "Right on target".

It happened last Friday. Russia isn't even pretending to only target military targets anymore.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So Zelensky was in Finland today. He flew there with a Dutch government plane, which seemed a bit strange at the time but it's now been confirmed that he's on his way to The Netherlands and will meet the prime minister tomorrow, and possibly make a speech in The Hague.

It's notable because tomorrow The Netherlands has it's remembrance day, where victims of the second world war and all the wars afterwards are commemorated. So it has a symbolic meaning. I don't know if Zelensky will speak at the event itself (which is always in Amsterdam instead of The Hague), but nevertheless it's a big deal for the Dutch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/bbcstever/status/1654364944295501824

Steve Rosenberg is a BBC reporter still living in Moscow and he provides interesting insights into daily life in Russia, by highlighting what the newspapers are writing, or in this case the general mood in Moscow in the run up to the May 9 celebrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

adebisi lives posted:

I don't like the guy either but can we not poo poo on people for having disabilities?

Kind of scraping the bottom of the concern barrel there, bud.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1654962737494016001

Grozev with a thread on a Q&A with Prigozhin stating that Wagner is done and pulling out, citing artificial shell hunger as a reason.

Notably if you read the (pretty long) Q&A there's lots of details in there but one of them is Prihgozhin saying that the goal of the Bakhmut operation was not to take Bakhmut but Akshually to grind down Ukrainian troops by taking advantageous defensive positions and inflicting maximum casualties on Ukrainian forces.

To which I say lol, lmao

e: the q&a: https://telegra-ph.translate.goog/Otvety-Evgeniya-Prigozhina-na-glavnye-voprosy-kotorye-est-u-obshchestva-05-06?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 6, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So assuming the single Patriot battery shot down one of these missiles, what happens if they shoot 5? Can a Patriot intercept them all? Does Russia just have to send a larger volley of them, assuming they have the stocks? Or as wet_goods suggested, maybe shooting them all off from different directions to avoid head-on interception?

What Russia has been doing is launching a volley of slower cruise missiles alongside with the khinzal(s) to distract air defense, so that they're more likely to get through. It had been working so far.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The North Atlantic and Baltic and Black Sea Treaty Organization

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's Battleground Ukraine with British military historians Patrick Bishop and Saul David.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Salty Licorice Appreciators Group

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bashez posted:

I haven't seen any evidence of Bradleys or Challengers or anything of that sort. It seems Russia is getting smashed by local counter attacks and recon more than the actual counter offensive.

At least one Bradley was used in the southern flank Bakhmut counterattack:

I made the screenshot from :nms: this video :nms:
which discusses the counterattack and thus combat footage, hence :nms:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bashez posted:

I think most people agreed it was a YPR-765 but I don't know poo poo.

Perhaps it is, it's pretty blurry, and I'm no expert either.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Willo567 posted:

He's literally asking people to determine that the war ends this year
That's your interpretation of it. He's saying that this year we determine when the war ends. He's not saying that the war ends this year.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Willo567 posted:

I'm not saying it's bad or the end of the world, I get why he does it. It's just that his administration has done it before with regards to Russia about to run out of missiles, or them kicking Russia out of Crimea soon where it's clear that it won't happen within a few months where in reality it will probably take longer.

I logged into discord to get the latest intel and the assessment is that russia is too busy blowing up hospitals, so our balls are safe for now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kavros posted:

The people who went into this conflict saying "remember grozny? ready for russia to keep groznying?" had a complete assessment of what future cruelties would be exercised by russia

True. Same thing in Syria, really.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCdmKFrDOso

The real reasons might never be known, but I thought this was a pretty decent summary of the political powerplay surrounding the Bakhmut quagmire.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/nlwartracker/status/1659863843135275008

Seems like Bakhmut has finally been given up by the Ukrainians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah to clarify, they gave up their last footholds in the city itself, but are continuing making gains on the flanks.