Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
damnit who let galeev into the tweep list

i mean, granted, "dubious tweep" is an apt descriptor, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

VostokProgram posted:

Could it be some quirk of translation or hyperbole? Like in English you might say "so-and-so is 'officially' canceled" even though that's not a real thing

the word used, юридический, has a very narrow meaning. it's only law- or court-related: https://www.lingvolive.com/en-us/translate/ru-en/%D1%8E%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9

законный, by comparison, has a dual sense of legally or legitimately/officially https://www.lingvolive.com/en-us/translate/ru-en/%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Discord hasn't been "for kids" for ages now. It's even starting to replace free/open source software discussion groups in Slack. And I know some PhDs who had to use Discord for online conferences during the pandemic lockdown.

the average meme youtuber channel, however, is probably comfortably in mostly zoomers territory

that said giving your kid your classified materials laptop to chat on seems profoundly stupid and unlikely. doubly so since the docs are paper copies that someone took pics of. if anything got taken home and left around where the kids could find them, it was probably those. what idiot with legit access to classified docs just casually snaps phone pics of them and uploads those to their home computer?

Popete posted:

Article is pay walled, does it name the company?

the typical paywall circumvention site is offline today, but there's still good ol' other publications reposting stories from whomever got the scoop originally https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/04/07/british-firm-ships-12bln-of-electronics-to-russia-despite-sanctions-ft-a80753

Mykines Corporation LLP, some no-name solar power company registered to an (ostensibly) Ukrainian national and/or his wife, apparently. their website is also (albeit for likely different reasons than the paywall circumvention site) currently offline (https://mykinessolar.com/about-us.html) and so irrelevant that Wayback Machine has no record of it. Bing has a very basic cache: https://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?d=4889373818444149&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=LbinDoO0S3mvblCAp-LFUXzWuQXEMOJO

they straight up have no DNS A records at present, and basically nothing comes up trying to search for either historical news coverage or site history. best i can find is some place claiming they used to be hosted at some Hong Kong shared hosting outfit that currently returns a 404 if you force resolve the domain to that IP: https://ipinfo.io/103.27.108.60

im not saying it's definitely some Russian security services front co, but it looks odd, to say the least

yet one more edit: damnit, if only i could channel my somewhat capable digital forensics autism mania into more useful, consistent work

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 8, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

He was a technocrat who didn't care about foreign policy, just domestic policy.

watching Medvedev waltz down into the TV Rain offices to be so excited about the new internet-focused media company in F*ck This Job is so bizarre now

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Despite all his failings Medvedev is still in my Top 3 of Russian presidents.

do Lvov and Kerensky count for this

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

do we get to count Yeltsin's stints as president of the RSFSR and Russian Federation as separate entities

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Good chance the leaker is left-handed....

Edit: also, Измир but Izmer? What version Cyrillic would that be?

Edit #2: oh, Rubles as currency? So probably someone roleplaying a Russian whole not actually knowing the language or spelling.

cyrillic and latin representations of turkic language vowels are kind of a crapshoot, but i wouldn't read too much into that either way

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

How would they even find them or suspect that it's some place worth putting resources on? Discord servers are ephemeral, can change names, and can be unsearchable.
Some random 20-person private racist meme server is so far off the path that I can't imagine it being possible. The only reason it was traced is because people were willing to say where they saw it and the theoretically 'original' server doesn't even exist anymore.

PRISM didn't just magically disappear after Snowden leaked it. i wouldn't be surprised if NSA has a bulk collection system into place to collect everything on Discord for later search. Discord's normal access controls and search limitations wouldn't apply.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s been said before but it can’t be overstated how easy it is to get “secret” clearance in the US. Mine was dudes show up to the people I myself named, and then I get interviewed by another dude who is like “promise you don’t have any compromising drug addictions? I see that passport but you love our man B-Rock and not Hollande right? :911: right? Eh checks out.”

The leaker was almost certainly just some dumbass 19-year-old

there's still need to know restrictions. why would we give the dumbass 19 year old who has a clearance so they can work on navy reactors or whatever all our Ukraine troop attrition info and intercept data from the Egyptian military? maybe some idiot young congressional aide for someone on an intelligence committee though. idk how we handle what they have access to

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

cr0y posted:

Who is managing the provisioning of the encryption keys?

I'm not saying that it can't be done, and I agree that in this case someone is playing real fast and loose with granting privileges to computer toucher accounts.

There are a million people who would have access to this stuff as part of their day job. Off the top of my head the following job types could argue the need for access to everything:

-Database admin
-Backup/recovery
-Certain levels of application support and customer service (customers in this case being analysts whose specialty is intelligence but not necessarily IT)
-Auditors
-maybeeee app developers in some cases
-document management support for whatever this poo poo is stored in
-key management app support
-app owners of whatever facilitates sharing this stuff throughout the federal government/military
Etc etc

the sysadmins.

the point isn't so much that they operate the systems that mint the keys, it's that the systems involved say "hey, if anyone but x, y, or z USE these keys, sound alarm". after initial setup and outside exceptional scenarios, sysadmins should not have free access to the systems they manage in high security environments

you can and should design access control systems where the people tasked with managing it do not have free access to everything under it indefinitely

this is demonstration that US control over secret information post-Snowden failed to realize that you need to ensure that people with keys to the kingdom cannot use them freely, and instead (from my own anecdotal experience) doubled down on existing security models, where you just try to be real sure nobody without keys to the kingdom can walk out with anything they _do_ have access to

pre 9/11 siloing is brought up as a cause, but we apparently failed to distinguish permissive access controls between agencies from permissive systems in general. CIA and DOD analysts should be able to share information, but that doesn't require exposing the same information to the sysadmins who keep the network links between CIA and DOJ running

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Are there any good reading/books out yet about this?

good books aren't going to be a thing until years after the dust has settled, and it is very much still up in the air. at present you're going to get good journalism that later becomes the sources for those books, among other things

on the russian side, meduza and holod have been producing good work and translating their major pieces into english. novaya gazeta has now shifted into the same, but i haven't been following them as much. historically their english coverage has been rather crap and i'll cop to being lazy and not reading longer pieces in russian. mediazona produces some good work, but is probably the most biased of the russian publications. i should read doxa for extremely zoomer content, but they definitely have no english coverage, and again, i am lazy

the ukrainian side is unfortunately limited. idk, afaik prewar media there was more local and dominated by powerful local interests, which produced a different dynamic than russia's state/opposition media dichotomy. the kyiv independent is decent but kinda-sorta newly formed, and also (understandably) biased in a charm offensive sense. honestly, despite their typical failures reporting on the region, major american and european media have done better stories on the ukrainian side.

in the same vein as plokhy's forthcoming book, the recorded snyder lecture series is good comparative history for the background leading up to the war, with the caveat that its coverage of post-USSR history is more limited than i would want (idk how plokhy's books do in that regard--obviously the one isn't out yet, and i still need to start Gates of Europe), but that's kinda understandable since Ukraine circa 2005 is both fairly niche and very recent as far as historical work goes

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Somaen posted:

...biased towards what? Not imprisoning people?

To contribute, the insider does great osint and publishes opinion pieces and analysis by russian experts and dissidents in both russian and english

bias can fall on either side; that's a normal thing in media analysis. it's the same thing you'd use to describe fox news or mother jones in relation to, say reuters

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

So maybe no actual counteroffensive yet, but ongoing active preparations that people mistake for the final phase.

the OSINT crowd have started playing Who's That Pokemon!?, at least

https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1648761759354740765

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Somaen posted:

Please just say mud season

There's no reason to use the local words for the same concepts that exist in English as if they're mysterious oriental phenomena (same for dezinformaciya, maskirovka, blat, pizdesh, naebalovo)

someone's gonna be real mad if they ever start reading contemporary informal russian and seeing how many english loanwords are in use for things that could reasonably use a word of russian origin

dehumanize yourself and face to фейки and смайлики

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

OddObserver posted:

I feel obligated to point out that someone has remarked on how інцелпостінг is comprehensible in Ukrainian (sadly can't find whom to credit), which really shows the influence of US cultural stuff (as do things like Ukrainian, or for that matter, Russian, rappers). I do wonder to what extent this happens in countries with lower familiarity with English, though.

loanwords are very much a historically common thing, and while a bit of a кринж reaction when you encounter a new one is pretty normal, they're pretty much inevitable. which source language is a factor of the times, but it's something that has been happening forever, and words sorta nativize over time. nobody bats an eye at шанс or журнал anymore, even though im sure there were plenty of people in 18th and 19th century russia complaining about all the drat french loanwords (hell, Stepan Trofimovich in Demons is in part literally a parody of fancy aristocrats insisting on using french for everything). on the other end, we're pretty used to the idea of "the White House drug czar" or whatever. it's always a bit of a joke when it first shows up in either direction:

quote:

Ругались матом на английском языке,
Но это - loving trend, а значит, всё окей!

there's definitely some degree of English -> Russian -> other language lag, but it definitely happens. peak twitter nonsense moments for me include seeing some random Uzbek foreign affairs official complaining about "feiklar" or similar, from the original loan of фейки (for "fake news") into Russian from English, and then into Uzbek via chopping off the original loanword Russian plural suffix and attaching the Uzbek equivalent

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

There was at least one Zambian student who died in Ukraine fighting for Wagner. But he was recruited in a Russian prison.

https://www.africanews.com/2022/11/29/unknown-aircraft-targets-wagner-base-in-c-african-republic/

For almost a year now, there's been a lot of propaganda talk about bringing in literally millions of eager volunteer freedom fighters from Syria, North Korea, Mali, etc., and literally nothing has happened since, as far as anyone can tell, to make this a reality. Western intelligence have no information about foreign recruits being shipped to Russia for training, or even any Wagner recruiting recruiting campaigns for war in Ukraine abroad (if anything, they're starting to recruit more Russians to send to Africa again).

can north koreans even freely leave?

i guess maybe the regime there would be okay leasing people as yet another shady revenue stream to supplement drugs and ransomware, maybe

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Willo567 posted:

How does any of this help Ukraine? It's just going to make Russia take it out on innocent Ukranians more

yeah i dont think you could really encourage russia more on that front

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Chalks posted:

You may be correct, but I don't think the mere capacity for one side to act irrationally tips the balance of probability here. Their previous mistakes have been easy to explain with poor intel and corruption, here we need to leap to them successfully pulling off a complex operation that simply makes no sense.

If this is a false flag, I'm much more prepared to believe there's some rational plan with flawed assumptions, just like all their other mistakes. They're not brain dead. Their track record in this war is bad for actual reasons that can be understood, it's not just a series of totally nonsense actions.

the myriad reasons that the 1999 apartment bombings are considered a possible false flag operation, along with the bungling of the Dubrovka and Beslan sieges, are demonstration enough that the Russian security services are perfectly capable of screwing up operations on home turf

i am doubtful we'll have a good explanation for this (or the above events) until decades down the road when archives get unsealed, but a poorly-conceived and executed false flag operation isn't outside the realm of possibility

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

From the Chief Foreign-Affairs Correspondent of The Wall Street Journal.

So, maybe it wasn't a false flag

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1654138239387664437

those are just boat tours on the moscow river, it's completely normal

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sekenr posted:

If anyone is interested how is Belarus after 2 years away.
1. Airport sooks sad, even Kutaisi which is least important of Georgian 3 intl airports (for reference 3.5 million Georgia is operating 3 while 9 million Belarus has 1) I saw a bunch of Wizzair planes and 1 Belavia which I rode. Minsk airport, 2 Belavia planes not even single Aeroflot or Utair.

hey now, Georgia's an exception since their economy runs on tourism. most post-Soviet airports are a bit... iffy. i don't recall Minsk being any less dingy than Astana or Tashkent, or even Sheremetyevo circa 2010 (the latter has since had a considerable glow-up because lol infinite Moscow money funnel). that's maybe not a resounding endorsement. i can't remember Volgograd, Irkutsk, Manas, Almaty, or Pulkovo at all, but i figure they mostly have a similar "planes land here and you can go through migration control, don't expect much else" vibe

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

whats the status on more soup though

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Young Freud posted:

I was listening to the "Helluva A Way To Die" podcast and Joe Kassabian lives in Armenia and frequently goes to Georgia and he was going on about how both countries are filled with "visiting" Russians right now and the public is getting tired of them, especially Georgia, for all the reasons you could imagine.

I have no loving idea why Lavrov's next of kin would visit this place when they could have just stayed in Russia.

it's honestly kinda weird that ive only had one "fuckin russians" moment on this trip (as a russian-speaking american that normally defaults to russian in post-soviet countries because english is a crapshoot)

it was in tajikistan to boot, arguably one of the more russia-friendly former republics. ain't nobody wearing "Tajikistan" clothing (with the exception of the national football team, which was inexplicably staying at my hotel), but plenty of people wearing "Russia" jackets or hats (usually with the english spelling for god knows what reason)

shoutout to the one kid wearing an "СССР" jacket

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

A spokesperson for the Main Directorate of Intelligence of Ukrainain MoD had this to say:

"conveniently they have obtained a number of russian tanks, as we understand, from a shop"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What would you do when they ask you to produce a list of undesirable neighbours?

As a practical matter, occupations generally have collaborators. Debating individuals over their hypothetical moral convictions isn't that meaningful: you're going to end up with some people in collaboration, some people in resistance, and some people just trying to weather the storm with their heads down regardless.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Libluini posted:

Tadschikistan

Germany wtf is this spelling

on a broader note im sad we probably won't get Родные 2 since Russia has maybe realized at this point that Mansky isn't actually a pro-regime filmmaker.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Grape posted:

Do you actually honestly seriously believe Ukraine is encouraging Orthodox jihad

it's only fair after all those years when Muscovy declared that all non-Muscovite orthodoxy was invalid and forced migrants to get baptized again

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

following another concerted terror strike against kyiv, ukraine is sending a pleasant good morning response to moscow

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1663398514477658112

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1663413883053195264

ed: apparently a significant size attack fleet. a bunch shot down, but two got through to targets within the MKAD: https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1663472769265287168

---

unrelated tangential personal anecdote fluff: russian tourists in regions that typically have russian tourists very much do not discuss current events or ask americans about their opinions of them. central asian locals do!

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 30, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Cantide posted:

Say about Putin what you want at least he's not active on loving social media

putin can barely into a computer himself so...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

beer_war posted:

quote:

READE: The food is really good. And you know what's remarkable about the food is, it really shocked me because no one really talks about this, but, it tastes like it does... food tasted when I was a kid and I was like, what is that? So I asked around and what it is, is they don't allow GMOs. They don't allow hormones, they don't allow any of that Monsanto... anything.

woo poo poo about GMOs aside, are we sure Reade is in Russia?

as someone with enduring interest in the country and appreciation for some of the things it produces, NOBODY should be lauding the food

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Chill Monster posted:

Not having access to this water is going to have serious financial implications for the russian government if continue to control and occupy Crimea.

In my opinion, for the Russian Government to say 'gently caress it let's blow this piece of poo poo up' signals that they are flailing or scrambling to cut losses.

i mean do we think Putin had a long thoughtful rumination on whether to approve blowing it up after consulting with advisors across the government on the long-term implications of that action or do we think some general said "yo we could blow this up and impede Ukrainian attacks" and Putin was like "YOLO gently caress it" without consulting Nabiulina or Minselkhoz in the slightest

like if he were the sort of person nowadays to take the former approach i don't think we'd be in this situation in the first place

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

boofhead posted:

I thought most competent security services already knew who the likely spies were, and it was political/diplomatic/"decorum" reasons (as well as the desire to keep an eye on the foreign agents you've already identified) that precluded them from expelling them etc

To put it politely, it sounds like empty nationalism-adjacent rhetoric, but I don't know what the political context is with this guy or Czechia in general so maybe that's just his schtick

I also have no idea how something like what he's talking about would look like or how it would be any benefit at all for the reasons he's implying. Incredibly expensive security theatre at most, and probably actually something a lot lot worse in reality

"spies" is ambiguous. officers who work under official cover as part of a diplomatic mission are hopefully known as "not actually an agricultural attache" if your CI people are good at their jobs, but you don't expel them because the other country will usually turn around and do the same to your official cover spooks (which you definitely have, and who are similarly probably known to host nation CI). agents are not employed by state; they're regular residents that officers recruit to feed the officer intelligence or do secret squirrel ops

recruiting among emigre populations is something russian (and other) security services do do through both carrot and stick means, hence why you get things like security clearance denials because of foreign relatives

poo poo like planting compromised people in foreign territory to do dirty work also happens and is a longstanding tactic employed by the russian security services (i still need to read The Compatriots by the Agentura people, but afaik that's the one of its main areas of focus), so Pavel isn't entirely out in left field. however, the suggestion that you should apply blanket surveillance to every russia-associated person you can find a la japanese internment is a bit daft, especially since the comparison example is generally regarded as a mistake. even if you toss ethical concerns to the wind, you'll spread your CI resources way too thin and mostly just dragnet a bunch of randos who aren't security service agents

Orthanc6 posted:

Sure but even if he gets half that he's still gonna spend his entire youth behind bars, and then have zero career prospects when he gets out. 30 years ago was before Ukraine signed the Budapest memorandum, for a scale reference for all the things this guy gets to watch fly by from behind bars.

maybe the media and cultural landscape will have shifted so much in 30 years that this isn't an option, but surely he could find "work" as yet another "i was a rebel!" talking head in the right wing grift space

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Russia: Has multiple troll farms actively spreading misinformation and propaganda, affecting elections, world events, etc.

US: Some dude wrote a paper using math

Both sides are at fault here people!

we also do the same thing, we just suck at it

quote:

Importantly, the data also shows the limitations of using inauthentic tactics to
generate engagement and build influence online. The vast majority of posts and
tweets we reviewed received no more than a handful of likes or retweets, and
only 19% of the covert assets we identified had more than 1,000 followers. The
average tweet received 0.49 likes and 0.02 retweets. Tellingly, the two most-
followed assets in the data provided by Twitter were overt accounts that publicly
declared a connection to the U.S. military.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Grape posted:

There was a map of Turkish expat votes for one of Erdogan's creepy power extending amendment things a few years back that really told a story about each community abroad. Is there any Russian equivalent I wonder? Are have those elections been too borked for too long to have meaningful open data?

russian election results, especially presidential elections, have been skewed for quite some time for a variety of reasons, but you can still track trends and qualitative stated voter positions`1

StumblyWumbly posted:

Another friend who has a Russian wife and was planning to move to Moscow for lower cost living

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Grape posted:

There was a map of Turkish expat votes for one of Erdogan's creepy power extending amendment things a few years back that really told a story about each community abroad. Is there any Russian equivalent I wonder? Are have those elections been too borked for too long to have meaningful open data?

russian election results, especially presidential elections, have been skewed for quite some time for a variety of reasons. you can still track trends and qualitative stated voter positions. tl;dr you have some expected opposition-minded expats, but a lot of people that vote for putin more as a show of support for russia in an environment they consider hostile to the russian nation. there are also plenty of post-soviet olds that vote on nostalgia vibes and support putin's restoration of empire tack

raw per-precinct data is available (VPN into serbia or whatever; like many russian state sites, requests from US IPs are currently binned) but a pain to analyze because they just give you precinct numbers, which you'd then have to collate with info about what those precincts actually are. find an academic librarian if you're really curious; any good analysis is gonna be buried in some obscure poli sci journal if available at all. wikipedia has a self-sourced data map that indicates the aggregrate expat vote is generally more pro-putin than many domestic regions, but that's not particularly useful absent turnout figures alongside it

StumblyWumbly posted:

Another friend who has a Russian wife and was planning to move to Moscow for lower cost living

i mean, while probably technically not wrong if they can work remote and pull a foreign salary, lol at the idea of moving to Moscow for low cost of living

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

We had some viral fakes going around on the Hungarian socials about some Russian woman shopping in Moscow for pennies, showing the receipt etc. Meanwhile the government claims that all the inflation (highest in the EU, with almost 50% on food products) is because of the "disastrous sanctions of the EU". I know that the whole cheap living in Russia thing is bullshit, because I still have friends and relatives living there.

much of russia does have way lower cost of living than the rest of europe, but moscow is extreme levels of "imperial center where all the rich people live", with way higher cost of living than most of a country noted for its stark wealth disparities

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nenonen posted:

I specifically said that Prigozhin cannot win, not that Putin can't lose. Prig can't create a new civilian political apparatus to replace United Russia and all of its governors and local councilors and so on, nor can he expect Russians to bend knee to a private military company's boss trying to take power at gun point.

sure they would, just call him False Dmitry IV. raising a private army to usurp the Russian throne is a time-honored tradition. the people will happily cry "да здравствует царь Дмитрий Иванович!" to the successor of an unpopular leader AT LEAST UNTIL THEY REALIZE HE'S A DIRTY CATHOLIC

quote:

I brought this up because someone said that we should be scared of the option where Prigozhin does win and becomes Russia's new fascist tsar. It's just not going to happen. See how the August coup went for comparison. Gorbachev's career was over but everything else went completely against the coup's goals.

while i am also skeptical of Putin's ability to maintain control after this, contemporary Russia does lack an equivalent to the forces that took advantage of the post-GKChP power vacuum. there's neither a clear set of government officials discredited by coup association (Prigozhin appears to have done this without much support other than his guns) nor a set of challengers to fill the void. there's no obvious Yeltsin and band of nationalists waiting in the wings to take advantage of the fractures in Putin's control structures

anyway, good day to relisten to some fascist punks out of rostov with choice album art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu8Y0y2U6DU

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 24, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

whydirt posted:

How do you say Outer Heaven in Russian?

"Vyshe Homiel", apparently. luka got some balls letting coup bro settle down in his backyard

i envy whoever gets to play Peskov in the forthcoming Iannucci film. fuckin lol, after all this you trot out ol' sandy mustache?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Tigey posted:

his name always kept coming up in my peripheral vision as a 'Russia expert' that some people love to cite

he works more to promote himself on social media than actual experts, and has been doing so for longer than academics broke out of their bubble a bit and started using social media

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

khwarezm posted:

What does he even do these days.

get drunk and shitpost

honestly someone should buy him an account

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

hitchensgoespop posted:

I've been reading the crayon eating thread over the last few days so I'm qualified to provide an unbiased answer to this.
The counteroffensive failed, Ukraine's army has been destroyed "to a man" and Ukraine is on the verge of being balkanised within weeks. This is increasingly the fault of perfidious albion and specifically Boris Johnstone who tricked the gentle but foolish Ukrainian government into not accepting Russia's offer of rolling over and being genocided which would be the better outcome in terms of world hegmony.
Also Russia is now "stronger than ever" due to recent events because reasons.

Hope this helps.

why would you do this to yourself

it's like when i was so excited about the coup attempt i thought to strike up a conversation about it with a taxi driver, and was then promptly reminded that most people's knowledge of world events does not extend beyond charge they phone and eat hot chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BillsPhoenix posted:

On the surface I completely agree. Anyone in Eastern Europe should have this reaction as well.

But for Americans - this isn't our neighbor. So is this a topic Americans must have a reaction to? And if so, to use a different example, why is the current genocidal killings in Ethiopia something that very few Americans have any thoughts on?

It's a bit philosophical, so I don't think there's a "right" answer, though there's a few clear wrong ones (supporting Russia).

the US has significant allies in eastern europe, but that maybe matters more for federal politicians

if i had to point to anything it's that ukraine both has a lot of material for a charm offensive (because the russians are brutal and callous) and learned how important it was to conduct one after 2014. comparatively, americans i talked with about the prior invasion usually had no idea it'd happened. current events abroad just usually aren't a concern for most people