Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We don't know. It was in the coming weeks as of the 21st of March.

Edit: Finished reading the new aid package, fuel and SATCOM stuff seems to be standing out a little bit. Also, how much ammo 23 million rounds are, really - how quickly is infantry expected to be spending normal bullets?

Wait, I skimmed over that at first - 23 milion is a significant increase from the previous shipments from what I recall. They were given around 15 mil in the previous packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay so Zelensky is in Warsaw, has spoken to Duda in private and there is a press conference where both talk about the war. First he was given the White Eagle Order, the highest Polish award. Mostly symbolic as we've had some ridiculous nominees to that, but still a nice gesture.

So far Duda has said that while we have a well modernised and NATO compatible MiGs, we won't be giving them away just now, as we'll need them for possible Air Policing by NATO. But once they will be phased out from our stock, they might go to Ukraine. However we've given four old ones and four more old ones are on the way. Six more are being prepared for sending sometime down the line. There's also a lot of talk of economical support and future collaboration to rebuild Ukraine. And some sort of a new treaty to support that.

I mean this is mostly Fluff with a capital F since this is Zelensky's first fully official visit somewhere, so there will be a lot of pomp and decorum will be kept, but some details are interesting.

For example he said when asked about Bakhamut that the situation is the hardest there, however it is important that Russia does not control the city. Despite ammo shortages.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

The big cruise missiles for this purpose in NATO inventories (see KEPD 350) are launched by aircraft. Ukraine does not have the launch platforms for them.

The problem with ground-launched cruise missiles is that they have to expend a lot of energy to get into the air, while aircraft can fly to a release point and the missile doesn't have to get up to speed.

So to enable Ukraine to strike deep, it would first have to receive aircraft, and then modern missiles compatible with those aircraft. Beyond the technical problems it seems there is scarce political will to ship those aircraft.

Same for Russia, when you hear about those air strikes on Ukraine cities, the bombs are launched from long range bombers, not ground units. Which is why anti-air and air superiority in general is so important in this war.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm a little confused here... Why is okay for Russia to literally raze entire Ukrainian cities but they can't do strikes in Russian territory?

War goals are different. This isn't a symmetric war and never will be. Ukraine wants Russian troops to get out of Ukraine and to be independent. Russia wants to conquer Ukraine. If both countires wanted to conquer one another, Ukraine would strike into Russian territory but they don't and won't because they don't want to cause russian civilian casualties, they want to avoid ukrainian civilain casualties. Razing even 10 closest border cities to the ground would not bring Ukraine any closer to "Russian troops in our turf gently caress off" and would be a war crime that would cut off all support from their current allies.

There should be no retaliation on Russian soil. And it is massively unfair. But this is not about fair, this is about survival of the Ukraine as a nation, the people and the culture. This is an existential threat and you don't always secure your existance by threatening someone else.

Unless you know, there's some military goals to achieve there, but I think first things first, there's a lot of russian stuff to blow up in Ukraine. And it's not like you can realistically cripple their airforce without invading.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Somaen posted:

Please just say mud season

There's no reason to use the local words for the same concepts that exist in English as if they're mysterious oriental phenomena (same for dezinformaciya, maskirovka, blat, pizdesh, naebalovo)

Roztopy :v:

Actual content:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1650797230629040131

I guess this is where the rumble of counteroffensive comes from.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Did they take those "ERA bricks on everything" comics seriously and just stuck them on the front? :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Maybe this is some 5th dimensional chess to cancel the V-day Parade because all of the stuff that would be on that parade is on the front, including the soldiers.

In any cause, this is an insane developement.

OddObserver posted:

You have to consider Ukraine's national myth though:

(Even if entirely inaccurate, as those things tend to be)

I am a huge fan of this myth as I am 100% cetrain that pen and paper shitposting was totally a thing :colbert:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

If you know anything about Ukrainian cyberspace scene, you know it is a big deal. These are the guys who hacked the John Deere tractors, they are the ones who crack most of the games and get most of the leaks. Well, at least before the war, but Ukrainian hackers are really, really good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah you'd have to be completely oblivious to the last... 60 years of history to assume that surrendering is a good option for Ukraine here. No amount of "good faith" excuses such naive view.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You do not get to play "actually they are fascists" card against a nation that got invaded by it's militaristic neighbor and is currently, daily, getting bombed, it's cities razed to the ground and people genocided.

Also it's because that's how their (and as a matter of fact, most European countires) laws about conscription and military service are written. We are still new to this whole crazy "equality" movement and nothing moves slower than army legislation.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And again, there is only one actor in this play that can say "okay the war is now over" and it's Russia, not Ukraine. Ukraine saying that is a political, national, cultural and literal suicide.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

They can be wrong and dumb without being bad faith pro-russian propoganda

which was my point

This is what we call an "useful idiot" and they are as dangerous as actual propaganda spewers and should be identified and labeled as such.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

OAquinas posted:

1) It gets some...problematic yet mutually-aligned people out of Ukraine
B) It gives Putin and Russia a bad black eye domestically and on the international stage
iii) Given that the defenses there consist of "2 guys and a BTR" it forces Russia to pull precious BTGs from the front to the rearguard. This can create openings for AFU to put pressure on and possibly break
four) It has a real chance at disrupting and possibly destroying materiel stockpiles and distribution. This also helps the counteroffensive (assuming its imminent)
ε) It's funny and a satisfying "turnabout is fair play" move

I think that there is also another aspect of this and that is showing that Russian borders are not well guarded. So you know, places like Kazahstan could join in on the action. Not that I think that they want or need to, but the door has been kicked in, it will be a while till the lock is repaired.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Gentlemen, please, you can't fight here, this is the war thread!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

BillsPhoenix posted:

This was not unilaterally agreed and it's a weird claim to make given how recently the Soviet Union existed.

I don't think continuing the war can be dismissed as irrational at the nation state level either. The majority of wars are prolonged affairs, the initial blitz failing had lead to improved ties with India & China. Europe is still, to this day, purchasing Russian oil & gas - the sanctions aren't that damning. Some Russian tech has been shown to be inferior, while others (attack helos) are superior.

I'm all for Russia ending this war of aggression. I just don't see how that's the obvious logical choice from their perspective.

It's not. They have lost all trust, good will and any political progress with countries that wanted/thought that were forced to to do peaceful business with them and will appear weak and inefficient to anyone looking for any less-peaceful business.
Imagine some new perspective comes for new gas sources for the Baltic countries. Who wouldn't jump on it? Before there was no reason to do even look for such answer, but now the first source that proves a reliable alternative will be making money hand over fist, even more than Russia ever did. I seriously believe the Polish "small nuclear reactor in every town" program that is currently getting off the ground is a direct response to energy security.

But back to Russia - additionally to the international outlook, if Putin decided to fold, it's political suicide. And given who he is, it might even be actual suicide. Shame, because I think that his knowledge and leverage are the only things keeping the current mafia/warlord structure of the government together. If he goes, all bets are off the table.

...but it's the only option I see where Russia doesn't just grind itself into dust. So, just like the original war goal stated - a regime change is what will end the war. Just not in Ukraine :v:

Throwing my hat into the "realist" discussion - it loving sucks, but from my perspective, the worst crime people who claim to be realists do is take away agency from countries because only the biggest boys in the sandbox have any "real" power. loving assholes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't know if I should feel relieved that the IAEA is taking Ukraine's claims seriously enough to investigate or nervous that the on site investigators couldn't immediately go verify explosives being on the roofs.

I think there are only two people on site, so I don't imagine they are able to monitor everything with a daily walkthrough, but not having full freedom of movement in the facility was a surprise to me at least.

I mean, it is a war zone.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hmm, so the current news in Poland is that we've apparently given Ukraine, in secret, 12 Mi 24 choppers. The source is apparently this https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraine-war-counteroffensive-frontlines-russia-add3e4e4 WSJ article, and I see it parroted as "WSJ source" but I had to find it myself because no polish news sties actually link to the bloody article.
So this is not surprising to me in the slightest, there was an understanding that there were under-the-table arms deals between the countries as arming Ukraine is also valuable for Poland, but drat, choppers? That's a bit too close to the controversial jet issue. I understand that aerial superiority is important, and it was not pointed out what roles exactly will these fullfil, but drat that's a bit of a hot topic if you ask me.

Hey but don't give us all the heat, the Czechs have given 2 as well :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1678699399570939904

"New" munitions, but SCALPs are basically Storm Shadows, so it's just more of the same.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Djarum posted:

Ukraine has the aid faucet and that isn't drying up any time soon. When the conflict is over you will see massive investment from the West into Ukraine as well. There was already a huge demand for Ukrainian IT and Engineering before the war but I am sure that demand will be even higher afterward. If there was uncertainty for aid drying up I believe that you would see a mad rush of equipment and anything else needed to end things quickly.

Oh sweet lord I just realized that they will need housing. Given that half of the workforce in Poland is already from Ukraine, I cannot even imagine how happy will the housing developers like Robyg or Górski be once it's time to rebuild. They will certainly throw themselves at any government contract from Ukraine they can get, and will get to underpay workers even more because it's gonna be a patriotic effort to rebuild the country.

Humankind doesn't know the word for the height from which I spit on those greedy fuckers, but imagining them getting even fatter from a project like this makes me even madder.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And it's not just who Russia sends on the front, it's where they're from. Since they are pulling from the more rural areas where going to the army is a real chance to improve your life, they have a fairly secure postion in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Once those areas are emptied from men fit to fight, there will be noone to gather for an uprising there. Even those who come back (assuming they get paid, this is the uncertain part), despite seeing the horrors of war will be hesitant to do so, as they will now enjoy life with luxury and prestige (and lifelong injuries and PTSD).

Those who live in Moscow and St. Petersburg have already won life anyway, so they also don't have any incentive to stir the pot. They are also aware that they are surveyed more than the general population and need to be on their best behaviour or they might just piss off the wrong people and disappear.

So they've really played their cards right so there is little chance of any civil war/rebelion/uprising. So that possibility is as real as the nuclear one.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
A video from the morning train going across, so I guess the rail part of the bridge is fine:
https://i.imgur.com/UMg7LDg.mp4

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay apparently that is not a regular train as train service seems to be halted: https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3736626-train-services-stopped-on-kerch-bridge.html

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1682340996590473216

Don't know what to think of the Spectator Index but they report that he was also charged with "Extremism"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Huh.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-extends-eligibility-military-call-up-by-least-five-years-2023-07-18/

Was this mentioned in the thread? Girkin is 51, they could send him back to the front if they demote him lol.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Orthanc6 posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66368016.amp

I mean sure it's possible that a drone could crash into the same tower as yesterday. But in the name of never believing anything Russia says and in fact deliberately going against what they say as a matter of principle, I'll say this is apparently a target.

Pretty hard to ignore the war, even if one somehow ignores friends and family coming home in bags, when your capital starts exploding on a daily basis.

Might be it took the same route and some sort of electronic jammer made it crash the same way. You know, as an experiment to check electronic warfare capabilities of Moscow.

Or it's a target.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Groda posted:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that "Danzig" wasn't the English name.

As someone living in Gdańsk, what? But it isn't, it's the German name! I know the regional naming is all a mess due to changing borders and the Freistadt Danzig period but come on.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the other two do differ between the german and polish transliteration, but that one is quite literally pl wiki:Nowoołeksijiwka

make the l spooky and call it a day! (i guess that's a polish vowel-consonant rule thing? it seems kinda strange to change "ооле" into "oołe" when you could just use "oole")

Yes it seems strange if you're not from the region I guess. Polish has a lot more in common with the cyrylic-written languages than the roman-written ones, and it's not "making the l spooky". "Ł" and "sz" and "cz" and "ch" and "ci/ć" and "ż" and "ź" all correspond to different letters/sounds in those languages, ones you literally do not get in english. I don't knock on people not being able to pronounce the names because if you don't grow up here talking these languages, it is possible that you literally can't say these sounds as your whole mouth and throat just develop differently.

:cmon: show some respect

I'll stop the derail here.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Man, those are unusually fast and spectacular photos compared to all of the recent "near-Moscow explosion" ones.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Let's not indulge the realist perspective at all, please. It's a bunch of outdated bullshit that should not be spread around.

Also there are no "regimes" involved in this genocidal war of conquest wagered by an imperialist dictator Ukraine is defending itself from. The war can end anytime Russia wills it, they just need to go home. The only forseeable way to force that is attrition or massive changes at the top in Russia. That's why we should support Ukraine with means to inflict the former until the latter happens.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The only countries involved in any peace talks should be Ukraine and Russia, and supporting countries should be used as arguments for peace, not mouthpieces or "big bro EU/USA/NATO came to argue in my name" type of tactics. Long term peace will require significant military force in Ukraine as we cannot count on Russia to respect any treaties they will sign without a deterrent of that kind.

Of course, a change at the top may change that. But I seriously doubt it, I can see the successor of the succesor of Putin maybe be able to work some kind of an actual peace deal, assuming the actual successor would try to improve the country, not his own wealth.

EDIT: wow I cooked this one too long, pretend it's right after my other post

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Chill Monster posted:

Sure, the train tracks may not be getting blown up anymore, but that's no longer useful for undermining the Russian/Belarusian government. I've seen no evidence that the anti-government sentiment has gone anywhere. Sources like The World Bank rank Belarus extremely low stability.

This is pure speculative Clancy chat, but if I was the Machiavellian Polish King, and I hated Russia, I would want to destabilize/promote regime change in Belarus as much as possible, and keep it as quiet as possible.

I can't deny the deniability/proximity are good reasons in themselves

Unfortunately, all Polish governments have ever destabilized is themselves. Including the current one. We're quite good at that :v: I also think Luka is very unlikely to ever turn coat. He can stutter and delay when it is convenient, but he is not only a puppet of Putin, he is a firm believer in his ideology, extending beyond how to run a country.

So make that two regime changes.

Rappaport posted:

The point is, no government in Europe* wants an imperialist-aimed, war-faring and genocidal Russia next door. I was pleasantly surprised at how unified this response was this time around, and how threatening German grannies with freezing to death didn't deter a joint European response to aiding a nation being invaded.

Gotta convince Latvia to finally help us annex and divide Kaliningrad then. Because as of now, Russia is at the border of NATO and has been since Poland joined the coalition. But since nothing is happening there, and even Putin is too smart to try something stupid like move troops through the Baltic, Kaliningrad (sorry, Królewiec as we went back to calling it) and Belarus, noone talks about that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

My immediate question is if it has some kind of civic pride or prestige or something.

Or I suppose it could be like a murder in effigy kind of thing. Showing the people of Moscow what they easily could do but are choosing to not. So far.

Or possibly some UAF officer's wife ran off with the architect 10 years ago and this was somehow personal. There is the problem with these kinds of conversations that we have no way of knowing if we know all the relevant information.

It is a skyscraper in the business district of Moscow. It's like asking if hitting the WRC TV Tower in Washington DC is a civic prestiege thing. It's a building in the capital, it's clearly sending a message that if Ukraine wanted, they could royally gently caress up Moscow.

It's a strong message and a good position in this part of the war to be in. Violence is the language that Putin works with, so Ukraine showing that they can, but they aren't, is a good bargaining position to hold if any peace talks arise.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The pilot clearly was an astronaut at heart and decided to replicate the success of the most recent Russian moon landing :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nenonen posted:

GUR claims they made a commando raid in the Crimea this morning to destroy a S-400 unit :stare:

They claim that the "Special operation"t, as they call it, continues, so it's quite possible this isn't the last thing they destroyed:

https://twitter.com/gloooud/status/1694630060299321557

Unfortunately, I can't find a better english source at the moment than twitter, but it's going around. The message is real, whether the claims of the message is real is still undetermined.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Neorxenawang posted:

I know this is true further north, but not so much in the warmer/drier south of the country. Does the area around Tokmak get hit hard by mud season?

If it does, it might be better for Ukraine, as they are currently moving closer to being the ones holding it. Pardon the language im the tweet, but it's citing Ukraine telegram:
https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1694845226181972379?t=wEqtGoWJtjaVYqm86ZvciQ&s=19

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

MikeC posted:

The claim he is making is likely correct. I have seen repeatedly seen some variants of the claim that on average, a US infantryman spent 240 days under combat conditions per year while on average a US infantryman in the Pacific spent 40 days in combat on entire war. The key word average here is doing a lot of work and I am sure different US infantrymen in different theatres have large variations but I have never seen a rebuttal to that argument nor is it likely given the pace of WW2 operations that even the most heavily used formations would average out 240 days out of a year in combat. Some marines for example spent 77 continuous days under siege at Khe Sanh alone without rotation.

Why the gently caress are we talking about the Pacific front like it was the crux of WW2, are you guys nuts?

84 years ago almost to the day (Happy new school year, Polish kids :toot:) the biggest war of the last century started in my city, on the ground, on mainland continent of Europe. Not some piece of water where most people involved are on ships and in military bases. How the gently caress can you compare fighting over islands and water to the march of armies and tanks through villages, towns and cities, razing many of them to the ground, some of them (including a few in Ukraine) twice by both sides. How does that make any kind of fair comparison when thinking about combat intensity? Am I the insane one here?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My issue with "I don't see Ukraine having a pathway to win" is....They are...? At the bare minimum Ukraine is objectively reclaiming territory, however slowly.

Maybe once they're in an actual stalemate for an extended period of time, or Russia successfully deploys a counter-offensive we can reasonably and effectively start making declarations of no path to victory?

Well it's always good to ask what a "Win" is so we don't get into another slapfight with moving goalposts.

Is it "Ukraine retakes the lands Russia occupies"? - well they better keep on fighting and moving forward
Is it "Ukraine retakes the lands Russia occupies and returns to 2014 borders"? - see above
Is it "Ukraine secures enough of the area for NATO Peacekeepers to come in and start protecting it"? - see above, however unlikely this scenario is
Is it "Ukrainian people stop dying at the hands of Russia?" - guess what still see above because no peace treaty or anything else other than military might or other means of force will stop Russians from killing Ukrainians when Putin himself called the country "a mistake" and wants to eradicate the culture one way or another. No peace treaty, no promises, no words. Force.

And as always, remember - Ukraine doesn't want to fight this war but has to. Russia doesn't have to, but wants to. It's Russia who can take their toys and go home, not Ukraine, and they should fight tooth and nail to kick out the genocidal aggressor.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
SO HOW ABOUT THOSE AIRPORT BOMBINGS HUH

Four IL76s gone, that's kinda big.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hmm, not quite War Economy but getting there.
Awkward that many of the former USSR war industry is in Ukraine :v: Although I am sure that Russia itself has a lot of factories they can re-activate on their own. Or build new ones.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah I would also add that aside from sending money, accommodating migrants has had a huge impact on housing, employment and social stuff here in Poland, I think that impact is wayyyyy past the rounding error.

I do not mean that it is a bad thing and we should lock borders or send people back, just to be clear. It's just that the impact of that shouldn't be ignored, but the exact numbers are really hard to measure. Especially since most of those things are, uh, not the most important for either government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, like the did with Crimea. You can just look there to see how Russia will act once any kind of treaty is signed. Hell, we even had reports of them doing it now!