Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BIG HEADLINE posted:

More people would've fallen for it without the "Shoigu plushie."

That’s what sealed the deal to me. I started to get doubts about how Russia would be able to source the thermal optics.

Russia pulling out WWII tanks seems to be something completely feasible at the point, even if the graphic looks way too modern for that era…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RIP cinci. Great mod who kept this thread one of the better ones on the entire forums.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Between going to bed and Prigozhin making weird statements that probably are theater and waking up to 400+ new posts a lot has happened.

I’ve mostly lurked here to get a reliable news feed instead of the fake news, troll factory hellscape that’s twitter. I ran into @igorsushko and he’s making some crazy claims. Anyone know if this is just speculation or a more reliable account?

“Best case” scenario I guess would be Putin/Prigozhin both get rid of and we’ll get someone more stable in charge while they give back UA territories. Seems incredibly unlikely, but the past ~ 12 hours is also something absolutely nobody would’ve predicted so I guess there’s hope.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

nimby posted:

I'm really curious how this is going to impact russian logistics into Ukraine. Prigozhin said he wants to let the military continue to run the war, but this has to have some pretty debilitating effects.

If they are indeed looting military bases, fortifying Rostov and moving to Moscow that’s quite a few weapons that aren’t going to be used in Ukraine.

I’d expect the logistic supply chain to Ukraine to be on hold for the time being.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Would this total chaos be a good moment for a Ukrainian push or would it be better to wait and keep seeing how things unfold?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

fatherboxx posted:

Also, things are still crazy, apparently

At this point I’m not ruling out that Prig will turn around and go back to Moscow for a second time, if Putin backtracks his decison to let Wagner off the hook.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure how someone becomes a banking SVP at the ripe old age of 28. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone below 45 to ascend such a position.

Was she from a wealthy, powerful or well connected family?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ynglaur posted:

I maintain my earlier assertions in this thread that the US and NATO should be looking to increase defense spending to ~6% of GDP if they want to help Ukraine win, deter Russia from further aggression against its neighbors, and deter China from invading Taiwan. And that's to say nothing about keeping the latest Gaza-Israeli war from expanding further.

This seems incredibly unlikely to happen as many NATO countries are not even spending the mandatory 2% of GDP right now (or at least weren’t pre Ukraine invasion).

Tripling that will probably not get through any of the parliaments. You’re probably right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Charliegrs posted:

drat apparently at least 40 people are dead in the Moscow terror attack according to CNN. I hope Russia doesn't blame it on Ukraine and then invade their country :ohdear:

Looks like 3 people with machine guns entered the Crocus City Hall theater and started shooting. The building is on fire and according to russian media some people have been rescued from the basement.

The roof on which people are hiding is burning and looks like it might collapse…

Ukraine already came out denying any involvement in this.

Edit:
Source: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/what-we-know-about-shooting-concert-venue-near-moscow-2024-03-22/