Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens trading Zucker would have been an absolutely insane thing to do as well. Then again, they did acquire Granlund so I guess you can't completely discount any rumor of stupidity regarding them.

and because granlund is an untradable contract they basically guaranteed they can't re-sign Zucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gonna need a poster count by team to find out whether we really post more of if we're just making up a proportional amount of chatter

I mean it's not my fault no one wants to talk about how sad the coyotes are for pages on end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope they get countersued and driven into even deeper debt

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If they're not going to fire him he should be in charge of the roster.
He may have vet blindness but he still knows who (externally) to target and it ain't Kulikov or Granlund

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It'll either work or be incredibly funny
I see no downsides

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tomasino seems like he has a chance to turn into something.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

They should trick someone by trading them the other Elias Petterson. Could probably fool Chuck Fletcher.

edit: Oh wait, they finally fired him, didn't they?

If that doesn't work they could make a run at Sebastian Aho

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not sure what exactly you're even talking about other than rex's occasional six paragraph meltdowns to be honest.

I've been consistently saying since last summer that the Pens would most likely finish 8th or 9th, for which the rest of PAS calls me Marvin. If anything PAS in general is too optimistic. They just (justifiably) hate Hextall, who wasn't there for the Cups.

If you mean pessimism about next year and beyond, that's fully warranted, seeing as how it's the oldest team in the NHL and almost certainly going to miss the playoffs. I have trouble seeing how it's even mildly controversial to say next season they will most likely finish 10th or 11th.

Sometime this summer I'll probably do the actual work and make an effortpost about it, but if you look at all NHL teams whose average age is 30+ I would bet that 80% of them or more got worse compared to the previous season. Certainly 80%+ of players who are over 30 get worse year-over-year.

Boston's drat near as old and just had the best season ever, so age is just a number baybeeeee

Granted they've got a better everything in every way on their roster save for the two old centers but just sayin'

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Penguins roster is skewed at this point because of all the corpses they brought in at the trade deadline but I was referencing this: https://leftwinglock.com/teams/biometrics/

And while not as old at the start of the season, https://novacapsfans.com/2022/10/11/average-ages-for-all-32-opening-night-rosters-for-2022-23-season/

Which is why I say "drat near". The pens could shuffle out the corpses if they wanted to move aggressively this offseason and bring that age down. Smith comes in for Dumoulin, a dead possum comes in for Carter, etc.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

gently clasps your hand and stares sadly into your eyes my friend, it can be so much worse.

don't forget we went from dementia Rutherford to Hextall

How he went from fleecing Toronto for Kessel to trading a 1st round pick for Ryan Reaves is beyond my understanding but yeah, he should not still be working
that said I hope he continues to work because we're gonna need his... talent... to unfuck our situation a little bit

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

.Spec posted:

It's wild to me that the year where both Sid and Geno both avoid missing large swaths of games is the year they miss playoffs

This is the only bit that really hurts.
It's not just a failure but it's squandered potential

but ah well

fire Hextall

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHL_Watcher/status/1646549559466655751?s=20
Jfresh to pens E5

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Burke, hits/60 isn't "analytics"
I don't even think we have that tracked, sir

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

FSG are very impressed with Sullivan and will probably let him pick the new front office, though.

Hextall deserves his shitcanning for refusing to ever be in the same room as a smart roster move, but I think you're going to find the obsession with playing old guys and older the better and refusing to play young guys was all Sullivan and will continue.

Sullivan wanted to sell the farm for Chychrun, which was a stupid move
but a better move than giving up any assets for the mummies we brought in

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Why is Brian Burke even considered a brilliant hockey mind anyhow
he lucked into one cup his entire career on a team he barely had to add to

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zegras-Bedard is gonna be a fun duo for the rest of eternity

Granted, I wouldn't mind him setting up Laine for dingers for the next decade either so I'm cool with that too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

praise be

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1646894593139507207?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

let's get loving wild now
buy out Petry, dump Granlund in arizona
sign Dumba for too much money

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is probably what they'll do but they'd actually be better off signing Klingberg for less money. Of course if you're gonna do that why buy out Petry.

Whoever gives Dumba 7 years at $7M a year is going to regret it hard and soon

I probably don't even hate Petry if they keep him on another year, it's not like they're hard up for cap space.

Far more important they just let Dumoulin walk, try to find a buyer on Rust (which honestly shouldn't be too hard, $5 million for 20 goals is not wildly expensive) and try to dump Granlund in arizona.
Maybe convince Carter to move to a nice farm upstate.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Backlund for Granlund swap, let's make it happen. Flames need term

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd rather have Guentzel and Debrincat if we're actually trying to win. Guentzel for Debrincat is a bit of a lateral move other than getting younger.

Dunno what Ottawa's price will be though. They're on the cusp of competing so they might actually prefer roster players over picks.

they need a proven winner like 2-time cup champion Bryan Rust

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'd be sad about it but sentimentality is how you end up with the hobbled corpse of Brian Dumoulin playing 20 minutes a night so

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Do people around the league really even know/respect Guentzel as a player anyway?
He's 30th in the league for points and 16th in goals since his first full season in 2017-18 but I get the sense that he doesn't really rate that highly in people's minds

and his game in general is just very... plain as far as a PPG player's game can be. He's not flashy.

e:
and granted when guys like McCann and Kempe are potting 40 goals, maybe it's not as impressive a feat in people's minds as it was a few years back

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 15, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Dumo became so utterly ineffective at exiting his own zone.

It can't be overstated how bad he is now. Like I feel bad for whoever signs him because his body his broken and the two defensive plays he has left are "get pinned to the boards and give up the puck" and "get pressured to shoot the puck up the boards to a player on the opposing team, giving them an in-flight scoring chance"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

there's plenty of reasons for the Sabres to be optimistic. Tage is the real deal, as is Dahlin. The rest of the defense is super young and only gonna get better. Levi and Luukkonen seem promising, if a little ways off from full time roles.

my big questions are like... Jeff Skinner... is he fixed?

Does Tuch have another season like this in him or is he really a 50 point guy?
Same for Cozens and Mittelstadt.

But the good news is that success doesn't really rely on the forwards repeating this sort of performance (which is unlikely). They're 3rd in the league for GF, but they absolutely have to get better defense/goaltending. There's not a single team close to 300 goals against that have sniffed the playoffs

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grack posted:

Tyler Myers' neck has gotten longer as he grows older.
like the mighty oak
if you want to know how old he is, just count the rings

so he's 0

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

It always fascinated me when I would go comb KHL stats to see which NHL washouts were over there, and he was consistently not only there, but a decent scorer.

he lead the league in goals one year, even

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

And how many of the people involved in decisions like that are still involved with NHL teams today?

Too loving many.

Cole Caufield being the latest sterling example of that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope someone threw Wheeler's clothes into the shower

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

What the hell would Montreal even trade for him? They're not moving Suzuki or Caufield. They're not moving their first I don't think, even if they don't win the lottery.

I would assume Winnipeg would want at least one NHL ready player back for him unless they're going to totally blow it up this off season.

Anderson, Dvorak... Maybe Dach if that's what they really want

You don't get gold for players that are gonna walk anyhow

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm curious to see if the lightning system will still pull that bullshit of having some random 3rd rounder or unsigned college kid turn into a 60 point player or if that was Yzerman magic

Like whoever Alex Barre-Boulet is seems poised to do it so I guess we'll see

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They just signed Pastrnak to $Texas for 8 years, they ain't rebuilding

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's not wrong that the playoffs are probably too long to the point where chance/health is a huge component of success

but that's like the best part about that and he's absolutely wrong to want to change that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Arivia posted:

i dunno, it kinda sucks to have poo poo like what just happened to cogliano where the heat goes up in the playoffs and you can pretty much tell that's the end of someone's career

fighting through injuries is a big part of cup mythology but the players still deserve non-broken bodies so they can be good dads and stuff for the rest of their lives, y'know?

Oh that's a different thing and I also hate how they call the game entirely differently in the playoffs - that is certified garbage, for sure.
the league does nothing to protect the players and it's baffling to me how far the machismo culture can carry them in the face of the NHLPA no doubt having those broken players saying "hey I got a fractured neck and I wasn't even getting paid, what's the deal guys?"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What are the odds Drury decides they got too flashy and lost their edge and then doubles down on grinders

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Forcing Adam Fox to play Sutter hockey would be like caging a dolphin until it gets that droopy dorsal fin thing that depressed dolphins get

Like just one of the worst mismatches for team construction to coach out there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd probably still take Laf #2 out of that crowd in a redraft tbh.

That's madness. He'd be struggling to stay in the top 10 for me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I'm super high on Lundell. If he develops more he's gonna be Barkov/Bergeron good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll take a knock for slight exaggeration but I won't stand for Pavel Bure erasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

heard he was playing with a ruptured Perbix all through the playoffs