Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Yeah, my memory of 2007 was that Kane wasn't seen as a strong first overall.

It also contains my favourite draft moment of the Kings going way off the board and selecting Hickey fourth overall, and everyone collectively saying, "who?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Kane wasn't even ranked 1st. NHL Central Scouting had Turris as the top ranked North American. In retrospect that's completely insane considering Kane had 145pts in his draft year, but also he was the first player under 5'10 to go 1st overall and teams are run by idiots.

My guess is that him not seeming like a strong first overall was entirely due to his size? I don't remember. But, 145 points in his draft year, plus 2 PPG in the playoffs, plus a strong WJC, and I am not even sure what else he needed to do?

But, the NHL was also in a weird transition period.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

2011 was maybe the worst Leafs draft in recent memory. They went way off the board to select Tyler Biggs, a guy who had no business being drafted in the first round. Then they traded their 30th and 39th pick to draft 25th and get Stuart Percy. Anaheim took those picks and got Rakell and Gibson.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Will Smith ends up with 20 points in 7 games (tying Jack's American record, and one shy of Kucherov's all-time record) and the MVP in the US's gold at the U18s. Think he goes above Leo Carlsson? Surely he's going at worst like 5th or 6th. Does Michkov fall all the way to 5th with Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith looking like can't miss prospects who ancient GMs don't have to wait for?

Gabriel Perreault and Ryan Leonard also had huge tournaments on his line, with 18 and 17 points respectively (and Leonard scoring the OT winner in the finals). Both could go in the top 10 as well (Wheelers got them #8/#11).

e: Celebrini had a huge tournament too. If a team walks away with one of the top 5 guys this year and him or Eiserman next year that's a really exciting core to build from

FWIW, Pronman put Will Smith on the same tier as Carlsson in his draft rankings today -- "projected NHL all-star".

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Ryan Smyth: Captain Canada.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Tavares was on the trajectory for being on the level of Crosby and Ovie, but he never built on his phenomenal 72-goal season at 16. He still had great seasons in the OHL, but nothing historic.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: it's actually kind of amazing that Matthews is already 25 and his 85 points this year, in a new golden age of scoring, is the second-highest of his career. 2020-22 was the only period he was really a megastar and he probably isn't going to get back to that level.

While this is true, it also has more to do with COVID shortening two seasons.

But, I am not entirely worried about Matthews...yet. Even with a bad wrist, he scored 40 goals this year. To me, that's remarkable.

My only wish list for this offseason is that Keefe is fired and that they trade Marner. Marner is one of the better players in the league, but every year it's the same thing again and again. I think they need to do something to shake up the core. Matthews is too good, Tavares wouldn't get much, and Nylander is too good of value. So, that leaves Marner. I am not really sure what kind of deal is out there, or what Marner could realistically return, but I would be looking.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Nylander is a great value but he won't be on his next deal.

Definitely not. But, the Leafs are still in win-now mode, and Nylander does give them more flexibility because of his cap hit.

Also, he was the best player on the ice for the Leafs against Florida. Maybe even against Tampa.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

But none of those players were as good as Sergei Shepelev.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

what really did kill them?

Bobrovsky remembering he won 2 Vezinas.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am learning that every unemployed former GM actually sucks poo poo.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Is this the first awards season in a while where the winners are all known? I think McDavid, Ullmark, Beniers, and Bergeron will all win handily. Maybe Karlsson/Fox is the closest race, but I think it's still Karlsson because he hit 100-points.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I like what Columbus is doing. They have been near the bottom of the league for years and have a great pool of prospects. They are now going to probably add Carlsson to that pool (or Will Smith). I don't think they are a playoff team this year, but I like that they are trying to build a better team around their prospects.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Many teams have tried to accelerate the rebuild and I'm scrunching up my face trying to think of one that did it successfully. Mostly what you end up doing is capping yourself out prematurely and you have to start jetissoning assets just to re-sign your good young players. Making expensive additions to try and get a cruddy young roster in gear is effectively a nonviable strategy in a hard cap world. You supplement a young core that's started to show promise with shrewd veteran signings. You don't swing for the fences and hope your basement team is two defencemen away from the playoffs.

I feel like it's a tricky balance, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just wonder how long a team should be bad for? Columbus already has one of the best prospect pools in the league, and are about to add a potential star, so why not start building to becoming a good team? What else could they be adding in 2024? I like them signing a guy like Gaudreau at free agency, because players like Gaudreau don't become available too often. Adding Provorov and Severson to their roster also feels good, because they didn't take much to acquire, and now their D looks that much better. Again, I don't think this team makes the playoffs this upcoming season, but I like that they are trying to build a better environment around their prospects.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

He's worth $2.5m for his name alone.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jeremy Roenick is now the top HHOF-eligible scorer all-time.

Vernon is a really bad choice.

Glad Barrasso is finally in. He does deserve it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am well aware of Barrasso being a huge rear end in a top hat. Still think he deserves to be in. Then again, I also think Joseph should be in.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The problem with the HHOF is that its selection process is shrouded in so much mystery. Maybe Mogilny just barely missed getting inducted this season? Maybe he has no chance? Who knows!

Also, I do find it funny when they reach back and select a guy like Vachon. I don’t mind the selection, but why now?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was reading a list for eligible players next year for the HHOF and the only slam dunk is Datsyuk.

I think Rinne and Miller will be interesting. I am not sure how I feel about Rinne making it, but I think there's a case to be made. Ryan Miller is a no from me, but I can see how people would try to argue for him.

Marleau is a no from me, but I also feel he eventually makes it in.

So, they may go for a Datsyuk only induction year, or maybe they actually induct Mogilny. I don't think Mogilny is the glaring omission everyone else thinks he is, but I would like to see him inducted. I'd also like for to be Joseph inducted.

2025 will be interesting, because it's Chara and Keith who are definitely going in, and then some interesting names like Spezza, Getzlaf, Rask, and Subban. I am sure some person will try and debate Dustin Brown to be inducted.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol. Rinne and Miller were both way better than Tom Barrasso, who was better than Mike Vernon. That horse is a long way gone from the barn you're trying to close.

I am not trying to close anything. I’m open to letting in more goaltenders.

You know, with the power I have over the HHOF.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

fawning deference posted:

6 Selkes for Bergeron. 4 seasons as runner-up

He has been a finalist for 12 years straight now!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The Leafs are doing a great job at doing things that I absolutely hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

When you can sign someone entering their age-37 season for three years, you have to do it.