Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

I dont know what SMG is. But sure:

The film is lonely. The characters are all isolated from each other and their relationships are falling apart because of it.

The two main characters are for lack of a better word "obsessed" with each other but only share a few minutes together.

LA is portrayed as a vast and impersonal sprawl.

Neil's house is blank and set against waves. It might as well be nowhere.

The love interest story arch is basically two people from completely incompatible backgrounds searching for connection and failing.

Edit: this isn't like, my interpretation. A simple google search yields multiple results from established critics discussing the films themes of lonliness, isolation, etc.

yeah and he also continues the theme in Collateral. which is just as good as Heat imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

"Pacific" by Alex Colville (1967)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is Blackhat worth watching?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there is so much to love about Heat but i think this is my favorite thing about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJCrpvYyMo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Not the best quality but i liked it when Tom Cruise eats it hard on the rolly chair and they just left it in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j01f25dsNI

he was the same age filming this movie as i am now, and i'm not in terrible shape but if i ate it on a chair like that there is no loving way i'd be able to recover instantly like he did. i'd be on the ground for like the next ten minutes

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tumble posted:

also the nightclub scene is one of the best shootouts, the moves Cruise pulls are so drat tight, like when he rolls over and fires between his knees before twisting himself upright and firing again, all in like 5 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFwTw0Z6nM

i enjoyed the tribute to this scene in Hitman 3

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Remulak posted:

One thing not mentioned here is Mann’s consistently pushing the technical envelope on night scenes. One of the weaknesses of Miami Vice (IMO) is that it didn’t quite make it; the digital camera he used didn’t have the contrast and did some odd poo poo. I remember the skies bing really blown out and distracting. That was a world I was deep in at the time though, Mann doesn’t do much by accident and if you didn’t know what was going on it may have worked.

as someone who doesn't know anything technical about cameras or filmmaking, i thought miami vice was real pretty and started out as a good movie but the characters aren't terribly interesting, almost stock really, and the plot kind of wore out its welcome by the end. it's the only one of his films from that era that i haven't gone back to and rewatched a bunch of times.

i feel like heat and collateral and last of the mohicans did a very good job of pairing visual aesthetics with music, and then in miami vice that aspect really felt like it was missing to me. i can't even remember any of the music from that movie whereas collateral and especially heat and mohicans have several standout moments where the music really carries things.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 23, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ronin is a great movie, its just as good as Heat imo just a different kind of movie. ive been meaning to watch it again actually.

a long time ago for some photoshop contest on these forums I made a Chick Tract about the boathouse scene and i cant find it anymore. DRAW IT AGAIN!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i mean its not just like a david mamet film, he co-wrote it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

haljordan posted:

lol I feel like a total moron for not realizing that. I am forever shamed now.

well it definitely has a different feeling than most of his other movies, especially since he didnt direct it. i cant think of any other mamet film with so much good action.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

He apparently also has a viscerally scary penis (because it's big)

i guess that weird little bathroom scene with him and Denzel Washington in Inside Man is a nod to that?

which is also a very good movie btw.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also speaking of david mamet, and heist movies, Heist is pretty good for what it is, but kind of weird. its got that kind of stodgy feeling that happens when mamet directs his own stuff. but i love the cast and the dialogue is fun. like, its clearly A Heist Movie For Old People but i guess thats where i am now

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hey maybe someone in this thread can help me with this

i have a very strong memory of a 70s spy thriller. kind of fell somewhere between Ronin and Spy Who Came In from the Cold, atmosphere-wise. cold war paranoia, lots of running around different cities in Europe, and also with a tense scene involving the old shuttle at Dulles airport. in my memory this movie stars Richard Burton and Alain Delon. but i cant see anything in either of their imdb listings that looks like it. does anyone know what im talking about?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh yes that is it! i guess i confused richard burton and burt lancaster somehow. i guess because burt lancaster's character is a lot like leamas from spy who came in from the cold

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was surprised how much i liked the pattinson batman. like when it came out i was really tired of batman movies and batman as a concept, and i thought it was stupid that they were making more batman movies with anyone because like come on. but eventually i saw it and actually enjoyed it a lot. colin farell was really good too

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when is the last time someone made a crime thriller as good as Heat or Collateral?

most recent one i watched was The Drop with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini. it was enjoyable but also a very small scale movie, no big set piece action scenes or anything. and also its from like 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh yea there's also a pretty good modern western bank robbery movie, Hell or High Water, from 2016. Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh yeah Sicario was very good

Drive starts off cool but i like it less and less over the course of the movie. good music tho

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

Sicario rules but the fact they haven't made a movie around Jeffrey Donovan's character is criminal...

i would rather just watch a movie about the real Mike Vining himself. but most of the poo poo that dude did is probably still classified

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Hahaha that's awesome, Brando ruled.

A few pages back someone mentioned this and it just popped back into my mind: Do we ever find out what's actually in the case in Ronin? I remember the case itself being the kind of case you'd carry figure skates in, but not if it's ever opened or anything.

the case is:

[ ] heavy
[ ] explosive
[ x ] chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BasicLich posted:

the story gets even weirder from there when you examine the details of the events,

uh.. yeah

wikipedia posted:

though significant resources are still dedicated to the case, the most recent arrests are of the now-retired original senior detectives themselves, for alleged evidence tampering.

also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madani_Bouhouche

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i mean not to derail the thread or anything but everything in those wikipedia articles makes it pretty clear that a faction of the gendarmerie did all that poo poo and didnt even really try to hide it very much. so yea obviously the cops are going to be easily overrun by robbers if those robbers are literally the country's own paramilitary security force lol

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 30, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

You guys are nuts if you don’t think Robert Pattinson isn’t the best/ second best Batman.

he was fine but they just need to stop making batmans altogether now. enough.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Interesting to see James Belushi in a non-wacky role & he was fine, did have a question about the ending. why did Caan blow up his house & businesses? Was it to symbolize he was abandoning his dreams to be more than his mentor & resigning himself to always being a thief with no connections? I was confused as Leo didn’t want those places or even mention them & Caan wasn’t faking his family’s deaths, felt like an unnecessary act & likely to injure himself before a risky one man attack.

i think he was removing any aspect of his life he thought could eventually be used against him or to control him, by either the mob or the cops.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i watched The Killer (2023) and it is one of the worst action thrillers ive seen in a long time. i wanted to like it because im a huge trent reznor fanboy but he could not save it

but a lot of the reason its so bad is because of the horrible and constant voiceover narration which makes the protagonist into an ultra cringe character, there was some good stuff in the cinematography and sound etc seems like it could be fixed somewhat by just deleting a lot of that crap

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

also the character is a 100% false narrator, and the droning dialogue about being the best and so calculated is complete bullshit - everyone in the movie sucks at their job. Fassbender missing the shot in the opening is a pretty big tell I dunno if its the editing or what, but the movie plays that straight and it just gets lost.

i think it's the writing of those monologues, and his delivery. i like fassbender in other stuff too but it seemed like he had absolutely no idea what to do with that character

brad pitt would have probably added a much more comedic element, which would have helped for sure, tho also been kind of at odds with the overall atmosphere of the movie. i enjoyed him in bullet train tho

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thinking about it more, brad pitt would have been fine, but i think actually the ideal actor for that part is jon hamm

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I passed on that in theatres for whatever reason. Does it get within shouting distance of this thread’s content?

its not that kind of movie. its more like a guy ritchie style movie from the lock stock/snatch era (but his character is very different from his snatch character) but more cartoonish and over the top violence

i enjoyed it a lot but its not the same caliber as heat or collateral etc

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its a perfect airplane movie imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

it's the kind of stupid that John Wick is imo. the teeming underground economy of professional murderers

john wick changed what kind of stupid it was over the course of the series

like the first movie is just john wick killing a few hundred russians because they killed his dog, thats the entire plot, and the whole "society of gentleman assassins" or whatever is just a silly aesthetic they came up with to flesh out poo poo like where he stays to rest up and how he gets his weapons. by the third movie it had become about all that stuff.

i like the second one the best because its got a good balance between those elements, and i loved common in it. still haven't seen 4 tho.

bullet train is more like the first john wick. it has hints of that kind of worldbuilding especially with sandra bullock's character, but its just kind of window dressing really and hopefully stays that way (if they make more)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 8, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

speaking of The Insider i love that Mann uses Neubauten's Armenia again in that, as well as in Heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgXvzMCinog

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

iirc most of that soundtrack is by Lisa Gerrard, i.e. half of Dead Can Dance, who was launching a solo career at that time. she had one track on the Heat soundtrack as well, from her first solo album, then she did a bunch of stuff on The Insider, and then her really huge hit was the Gladiator soundtrack a few years later

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i don't think Last of the Mohicans is a "weak" movie in any sense, it's very good, it's just much more of a typical hollywood blockbuster than anything else he's done and has elements of old school swashbucklers and cheesy romantic scenes. but given the novel it's based on that makes perfect sense and it's well done, still got great music and lots of amazing cinematography and moody scenes, the ambush in the meadow and that last fight on the cliffs with that scottish violin riff playing the whole time are two of my favorite scenes in all of movies.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I’m sure you dorks already know about, but I came across the novel Mann and a real writer wrote: Heat 2

Going to read it, use my imagination to make a movie version of Heat 2

yeah there is a bunch of discussion of it earlier in this thread. ive been meaning to pick it up. most people itt said its pretty good

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

seems like most people are pretty down on his most recent one, the ferrari movie? should i bother?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thathonkey posted:

maybe the guy from the bear

that's a good choice, he's a great actor

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

what's your recommendation for an above average to slightly awesome , unusual cops and robbers story with some richly developed love stories, that feels very fresh, in a good way

i don't agree with that poster because i love Heat, but that said i would say Inside Man is an example of a more fresh and modern feeling cops and robbers story. even tho its 20 years old at this point. and it didn't have any elements of a love story at all.

the most recent cops and robbers movie i saw was Hell or High Water which was very good but i wouldn't call it "fresh" because in many ways its a traditional western just with a more current setting

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i never watched the tv show either but i thought the movie was pretty good. not as good as heat or collateral, but still enjoyed it a lot

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

except that both robbers died on the scene, one killed himself after being shot a bunch of times and the other bled out on the street after being shot a bunch of times and the cops wouldnt let an ambulance come close. no one got away long enough to drive longingly past their ex's sting operation or have a one on one confrontation on the LAX tarmac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i want to see a movie about that hosed up set of incidents someone linked way earlier in the thread, from belgium. bunch of robbers with clear military training assault several businesses including i think a grocery store and seem to outnumber or scare off the cops. but then the more you read about it, the more clear it becomes that the robbers are gendarmes (military police) themselves. but it wasnt really clear what the aim of the whole thing was and they didnt end up taking a lot of money or anything. i think there was some connection to operation gladio/"stay behind networks" and all that as well