Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Previews are popping up (I post the Athletic ones)!

They have new incomprehensible numbers !

Also, no I won’t spam the thread with full re posts of the articles. Just the main screen shots.

How to attempt to read the numbers:
"Offensive Rating: A weighted combination of goals, primary assists, secondary assists, individual expected goals, faceoffs, penalties drawn, expected goals for impact at five-on-five, goals for impact at five-on-five, power-play goal impact and usage.

Defensive Rating: A weighted combination of blocked shots, faceoffs, penalties taken, expected goals against impact at five-on-five, goals against impact at five-on-five, penalty kill impact and usage."

Example:

Anyway. Boston vs Florida:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Having McDavid is a huge advantage and he unsurprisingly has the largest impact on series odds of any skater with a Net Rating of plus-29. That’s as much as Los Angeles’ top seven forwards combined."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

I love the part of this that suggests that Jared Spurgeon is the best defensive defenseman in the league. Looking forward to Karlsson winning the Norris this year. It's too bad there's not an award for actually playing D like the Selke is for forwards who actually play D.

Anyway, go Wild.

I have tickets to the Avs v Kraken game 3 though, and the best I can hope for is minor but month long injuries for a half dozen skaters and a 9-8 scoreline. But I figure Grubauer will start and it's still the Kraken defensive structure so it'll be more like 7-3. I hate Dave Hakstol.

Yeah, for the record I enjoy posting the Athletic stats stuff, but I def don’t take it super seriously or think it’s like, super accurate.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any playoff prediction thread or no ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evan Rodrigues , 1st line winger.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Pavelski was calling his shots at the All Star game in Vegas when they had him shooting at the huge board of cards and he was cool for that reason alone.

Also, he had a cat named after him during the 2016 run.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That’s a super good point and true, but every time it comes up on athletes and ethics, it’s a downward spiral because the majority of NHL hockey players have horrible opinions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It is time. For Lol Leafs.

Edit: low hanging fruit but still lol

“The vibes in a handshake line can only go so far.”

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 17, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like Toronto traded a whole bunch of assets to improve their defense and actually didn’t improve it at all.

I haven’t followed the before and after, but supposedly McCabe was a good pickup ?

ThinkTank posted:

Keying in on ROR at the deadline seemed so odd to me. If ever there was an opportunity to move a bunch of assets for a defender like Chychrun that was it. Really any defenceman who could provide long term stability on the back end. Hell, even the Hronek trade would've made a lot of sense for them (and he cost nearly the same as ROR). I will never understand Dubas' fascination with moving picks for one and done aging assets.

All the “anonymous coaches and executives” hot takes on Leafs Tampa is that RoR is gonna bring that championship pedigree.

I guess we will see.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

We've done a few all-time drafts over the offseason in the fantasy forum. The 2020 version is a pretty decent read: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510

Somewhere in this thread is a legendary post on the career of a fighter who did play in the NHL plus like, 20 other leagues and did a whole bunch of crazy poo poo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Three, though two of them were as a backup

He played half the 2017 playoffs as the starter (although yes he was technically the backup).

He then went right back to the finals with Vegas in their 1st season Cinderella run.

Then a Vezina a year or so later.

His ups and downs are pretty crazy, although that said he’s def making the HoF.

All I know is I want him to get his last dream of having a fight in the NHL.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I can't believe I'm now so old that I'm posting with people who don't remember when defensemen would "accidentally" shoot the puck over the glass 30 times a game and it definitely was not to give themselves a bit of a breather no siree

Probably 80% of NHL players are younger than you. You are now ancient.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Matt Martin: “at home especially you want to be bangin’ early”

Also, someone is going to die before the end of this Isles Canes game. NHL reffing worse than normal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Leafs literally cannot win tonight.

Either they lose and it goes to a 2-2 series.

Or they win, and the Leafs go to the dreaded 3-1 playoff lead.

Leafs are def winning tonight !

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

I think we all recognize the Leafs will blow this somehow. The only question is will it be more or less depressing than 2021 against the Habs?

Nothing can beat how hilariously depressing 2021 was. Not just how badly they blew it, but also did it to end cap the season spanning documentary being filmed at the same time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

I'm starting to think that maybe Philly was the problem not Hakstol.

Let’s maybe not get ahead of ourselves they won 3 games so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
DoPS has been terribly inconsistent and wrong this playoffs round 1 even by their standards, and given how much they suck poo poo and are incompetent that is saying something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Down goes brown for the win

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Okay what are the five reasons

Reason 1: The Leafs winning is good for business

Reason 2: This had all been a lot of fun for other fan bases

Reason 3: The drought was causing an existential crisis for some of us

Reason 4: Leaf fans needed this… and yes, they deserve it

Reason 5: It’s the end of a chapter, but not the story

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Athletic is slowly turning into buzzfeed with the constant fan mailbags and 5 Leafs Facts You Didn’t Know, Number 3 Will Blow Your Mind

While I like his articles and podcasts specifically , as well as a few others, you aren’t wrong with this take.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Now I want them to go all the way to a game seven cup final overtime loss in Toronto.

Leafs fans would literally burn Toronto to the ground.

:gritin:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Kite posted:

Well I said Doughty and Richards earlier when we were discussing top 10 picks.

Yes, Kopitar was a smart draft pick at 11. Kings took a chance on him and it paid off.

Anything else?

There's a big difference between:

sucking for a few year resulting in a few top-10 picks then surrounding them with trade acquisitions, FA agent signings, and deeper draft picks.

vs

sucking for a decade and having half your roster be top-10 picks

Most teams do the former; the Oilers have done the latter. I think it is fair to point that out.

Jesus Christ your posts are making me stupid, everything looks good if you cherry pick your “facts,” so just shut the gently caress up.

Also, while we are at it gently caress the Kings too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It was Chicago getting swept by Nashville as the #1 seed in 2017

I can’t for the life of me find the tweet, but imagine I posted the tweet of Patrick Kane with his head down with the caption “that feeling when you are the only Predator not to advance to the second round.”

Edit: bonus! I found the Corey Perry picture from the conference finals !

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

do we all owe paul maurice an apology

Def not

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

secret volcano lair posted:

the leafs oilers final looks incredibly plausible actually. that would be hilarious

I am all for this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1652876363970256896?s=20

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also, regarding the Corgi Prophet, if I remember right there are multiple posters here who own Corgis specifically, and the obvious solution is to post pictures of your Corgi in your teams fan gear as a way to appease the Corgi Gods.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zodijackylite posted:

The Athletic polled 392 active NHL players a few years ago and 71% said McCauley was the best referee in the league. Only one other ref got more than 3% of the vote.

https://theathletic.com/1536630/202...ddies-and-more/

On the flip side there are NHL players who can’t spell the word banana.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

How many of these hockey players actually care where they play? I feel like the only one I've heard that loved their trade was Matt Duchene going to Nashville, and that's only because he's a big country music fan. I guess there's Tavares going to the Leafs, but only those two.

Are you telling me people would willingly sign in Arizona, considering the bullshit like playing in a loving college arena?

A lot, but because they’re good ole boys they have their agents do it all behind the scenes (well, sometimes they’re more blatant).

The NY Rangers have a Norris trophy caliber defenseman because Adam Fox refused to play anywhere but NY. Panarin specifically signed for NYR to live and play in New York.

PLD got Columbus to trade him to get out of town and is going to Montreal as soon as he can.

Johnny hockey would be in Philly if Chuck Fletcher was not completely incompetent.

A lot of players have LA, San Jose, Florida, Tampa on their list just because of the nice weather.

The Blackhawks had to basically force Patrick Kane off their team (extreme irony intended).

The answer for Arizona is sure, there are def players who want to play for the coyotes. Making a NHL contract of a few mil to stay in the NHL versus having to play minor leagues is super enticing. Arizona still has great weather, and you’re guaranteed to play golf in April.

The difference is major players can dictate where they go to, so sometimes it’s more “where do players choose NOT to go?” No one wants to play in Winnipeg, Calgary, Arizona (again unless you are desperate), etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

Johnny Hockey chose to live in Ohio instead of New Jersey.

Well, this is just common sense.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If New Jersey gets a league average goalie in the next 2-4 years they’re winning the cup lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mennoknight posted:

he should've speared draisatl in his dick - i think you're allowed to do that

Ryan Kesler was known for doing this, specifically it was a whole thing for Preds be Ducks in the 2017 Western Conference Finals.