Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
News/views

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Propaganda Hour posted:

14/22//36 worst full season of his career. I think he forgot, too.

Yeah, he's just not been good. Shame, but at least he got the streak

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Vgk say gently caress your rules

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1648041306352939020?t=ds3nx-jfKgbKhmhiPwHOOw&s=19

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Jhet posted:

I very appreciate that this tweet is sponsored by an Injury Law firm.

It's a thing of beauty

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

FBS posted:

Cool let's just do that three more times

Of all the ways I was worried Vegas would lose, it was not like that

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Congrats to Vegas on doing the thing nobody else did this round

It's great! And did not look at all likely after the shitshow of game 1

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

th3t00t posted:

Jack Eichel won a playoff series before Auston Matthews. Lol.

OMG.

God the Leafs are brutal

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

ThinkTank posted:

All three of these series better go to 7. They are all too funny and have the tantilizing promise of top quality meltdowns.

100%

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I am slightly sad that we've been denied some g7s, but all will be redeemed if the Bruins get bounced

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Literally posted:

Yeah, I don't see the knights beating the oilers but it is nice to see a rebound season after last years injury ridden bullshit.

I dunno. Between Stone being back, refs calling less in the postseason and Skinner looking a little nervous, I think they have a shot.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Feels about right odds I guess. Lol at both +34 good lord and the supposed gap between Skinner and Brossoit

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/choi_aj/status/1653485813571923968

lol

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Lessail posted:

vgk has been trying to force "expressive mark stone" for some years now and that's the best they got lol

That is somewhat hindered by the fact that he plays roughly a third of the season these days

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

The Dirty Burger posted:

It’s time to let Matt Murray cook

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1656282855507472384

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

mcmagic posted:

IDK if the other Devils fans here are going to agree with me but the playoffs has kinda make me think that Bratt is expendable, especially if they need that money to sign Meier. He seems to really impact these games a lot more.

You sure that's not small sample size? In the first round, seemed like mostly devils fans were prodding Meier wondering when he was going to do something?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Duckman2008 posted:

If New Jersey gets a league average goalie in the next 2-4 years they’re winning the cup lol.

We have this lightly scratched Robin Lehner?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
N: https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1656348503633960960

V: ruh roh

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Mind_Taker posted:

Nurse suspended and Pietrangelo about to be suspended.

Talk about a win/win for the Oilers!

Was going to say, one of these things is not like the other.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah that was a bad call for the league. Pietrangelo and Nurse are guaranteed to be back for at least one game. This series could get real ugly.

It's on course to set a record for total PIM in a series, it's already loving ugly.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wait really? That seems nuts.

I thought I saw it in an athletic article and now can't find it, so I may be talking out my arse, but there have been mass brawls the last two games.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
In other news, delighted to see the Knights win the post-brawl game. Edmonton's PP is so good, and the rest of their game so average that the series feels like it's going to come down to how badly the refs swallow their whistles for the likely game 7 in Vegas

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

The Dirty Burger posted:

Bruce Cassidy he’s a hell of a coach.

He really is.

He's in a great spot too, as very few of the Knights have enough career left to grow to hate him

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How many of the inaugural Vegas players are still around on Vegas

Smith, Karlsson, Marchesault, Theodore and McNabb. Hague and Whitecloud might've been in the first draft class if that counts.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Aphrodite posted:

Go Seattle.

Going through Vegas with their "some guys" team while Vegas is doing a full on Lakers would be fun.

They're sort of Lakers, but honestly both playoffs and regular season they've got a lot of mileage out of always being able to field 18 credible skaters.

The Oilers partly got undone because their 19th and 20th guys got absolutely caved and they had to just burn McDavid and Draisatl for heavy heavy minutes.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Draisatl got six goals in the first two games, but by game six was a shadow of himself (also possibly the slashing I will admit).

The Knights are due a change of injury luck - they've only got two meaningful injuries at the moment, compared to the rotating MASH ward they had during the regular season.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Go Knights. They're going to be in trouble if the Stars actually click properly, but a win is a win

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Aphrodite posted:

They seem to focus more on actual career performance for goalies over hardware. In that case even with a cup Bobrovsky wouldn't deserve it, but also they're arbitrary so who knows.

I wonder if the years of being a cap anchor will drag him down in voters eyes

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Habibi posted:

From my limited observations, while the Stars are a very skilled team they are not a quick or mobile one. Every time they start skating it up the ice it looks like they're mired in molasses. As a result they rely on their positioning, and if they're not where they need to be they really struggle to adjust and get there in a way that's not so noticeable with the better skating teams.

I think the biggest edge the Knights have on the Stars is Cassidy. He's head and shoulders above every other coach left, and I think their ability to overcome early goals and win in OT is directly related to his skill at finding good matchups and holding the team to the plan

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Not that I think it's the wrong call necessarily, but getting two games for that when Pietrangelo got one for that slash seems odd

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Shinjobi posted:

When the Stars scored eleventy goals and lost by eleventy plus one might have been the coolest goddamn season ever until the Blues decided to just murder everyone

My hatred of referees runs across all sports but you can probably start with NHL playoff refs as my villain origin story

I have a lot of sympathy for most refs. The NHL approach of "we will enforce a new, worse set of rules every time the playoffs come around" really challenges this

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It feels a massive toss up series. Both sides are hosed if their goalies come back to earth, either is hosed if Eichel/Tkachuk misses significant time, both are comfortable playing tight games. I think Vegas will win if they can string it out to six or seven games, just cause they're much deeper, but I could easily see either team win it 4-1 with 3 OT winners.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

The Dirty Burger posted:

Stone’s linemates being Brett Howden and Chandler Stephenson is wild, Vegas is a magical place

Don't overlook playoff contributor Michael Amadio

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Nah, Karlsson's gonna win it.

There will still be nuclear hot takes, but different, fun nuclear takes.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Aphrodite posted:

Those weren’t even big trades.

Those were idiot GMs selling superstars for nothing.

The Eichel trade worked out pretty well for Buffalo. Tuch has been great, they seemed to hit on the 1st and they've got a bunch more cap space.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

ThinkTank posted:

The players care way more about escrow. The Canadian teams don't even have the highest taxes, that's California but you never hear people saying they're disadvantaged in signing UFAs.

Also most of Vegas' players didn't come in as free agents. Pietrangelo did, but he didn't take a discount, Stone sort of did but didn't take a discount. Everyone else was either developed internally, signed an extension while with the team a while after they were acquired, or was traded/claimed with their current contract.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

BitBasher posted:

They aren't casual, just new They first watched hockey 6 years ago and he hasn't hosed VGK yet. It's just not enough history.

Hey, I started watching hockey during the Misfits run, and I know enough to boo Bettman

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

ThinkTank posted:

Why would Vegas fans boo Bettman? The guy gift wrapped them an instant contender that quickly won a cup.

You can acknowledge that the league has generally been kind to Vegas while still being mad for the various reffing/safety/Arizona debacles.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I need to go back and read who people thought Vegas should have taken.

The Kraken one was interesting where they had five or six picks who they straight up cut before the season, which just seems insane. But can distract you from all the stuff they got right.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I think the key difference is the panic draft picks that Vegas managed to extort and the Kraken, through no fault of their own, couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/sdpnsports/status/1671239062156345346?t=PYWWMo9K4a8vAxXf86UG-Q&s=19

Lol Leafs?