Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fermun posted:

Even worse is living in pacific but wanting to watch an eastern team. You can always show up tired and hung over to work, but getting off work early?

No game should start before 9pm EDT

9pm Eastern is the perfect time to start. I can have a normal evening then go wild for 3 hours and still get 7 hours sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You can cheer for the team trapping and grinding and being boring as hell or the team that loves to do sick dangles and passes playing at 100mph and loves to score goals.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

I really think it's Arthur Kaliyev's and uhhh... Rasmus Kupari's time to shine

So Oilers sweep. Gotcha

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They decided to party hard and tear each others shirts off before the playoffs this year, and not after.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I had forgotten what its like to have hope and excitement squeezed out of you in mere minutes.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

As long as the Oilers stop taking dumb gently caress penalties they SHOULD be fine but ugh

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Dumba hit was lovely, dirty and predatory, but unfortunately I'm not sure any part of it was illegal except maybe the timing because the NHL doesn't care about safety.

He made significant contact with the upper arm first. Incidental head contact is allowed in the NHL.

He launched into it, but that's also allowed as long as you're not in the air on contact.

Pavelski didn't see it coming, but that's not their definition of blindside.

Timing is only a maybe because late hits are not well defined.

Thus a basically what I thought last night when I saw it. Nothing that seems technically illegal just gross.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Goalie is Mike Smith

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am once again excited and hopeful for the EDMONTON OILERS. Goilers, baby

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How different is the Leafs system to years past? Like during the regular season they were a better defensive team than they've been but is that just a results thing or did they switch things up beyond having different players?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

NON-COVID illness is the same as flu like symptoms: hungover

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

actionjackson posted:

talk about loving around and finding out

Josh Archibald missed most of last season cause he refused to get the vaccine then got myocarditis from covid.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

actionjackson posted:

alright i'm definitely a convert to this NHL thing, at least during the playoffs

these games are insane

I'm glad you now understand why 4 rounds of 7 games is worth it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers dominated the game again outside of taking hilariously bad penalties and almost blew it. But they didn't. God bless Leon Draisaitl.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hey everyone:

Oilers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Singh has spent the last five years trying to go viral like his BONINOBONINOBONINO call at every opportunity and it's quite annoying.

Singh is a hall of farmer compared to Jack Michaels.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I'm gonna feel pretty bad for him if they fire him.

Don't worry Andrew Brunette proved himself a fantastic playoff coach last season!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Brock_Seguin/status/1649463412630454296

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/12uwkv4/zoomed_focused_slowed_video_of_the_puck_rotation/

You can see the puck tap the stick and push it up a little. The puck's rotation also changes.

It was the most gentle of taps. It reminds me of this joke from the Simpsons movie.

Ya it seemed pretty clear it touched last night but also pretty clear that they were not going to change the call because it was like 95% clear it touched not 100%.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably 80% of NHL players are younger than you. You are now ancient.

Now that Craig Anderson has retired it's 100% for me. Don't like it!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

What an awful OT winner

I think it was pretty good!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That second one is probably the refs not wanting to have dudes getting run behind the net considering everything that has happened in that series so far.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nurse has been real bad this series which is definitely not a good thing! Especially considering he'd had his best season since he played down the lineup 5 years ago while being saddled with a broken down Ceci for most of the year.

He's doing the thing where he's trying to do way too much again and its definitely causing him to do some crazy stupid poo poo.

Edit: I also think part of the problem on the PK specifically has been him playing on his offside half the time when he plays with Ekholm but its that or play Desharnais which WOOF

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 24, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Gallant needs to step it up. He’s getting out coached by Lindy loving Ruff and it’s embarrassing.

I have no idea what adjustments he can make but he needs to find a way to get Kakko up into the top 6 more. Aside from Vinny, he was the best forward tonight.

People in this thread were saying Ruff should be fired mid series lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1650696850733776907

He's trying to tell them how cool it is to have a banner up at scotiabank.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Edmonton traded for Keith with the understanding they'd get a cap credit from the recapture penalty. The league decided to block it, but from that perspective they bought a veteran and additional cap space for a nothing player and a pick. It's funny they didn't quietly double check with the league if they intended to allow the cap credit to happen first though.

Almost like they should not have had to considering it was the literal rule, but that's the NHL baby!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

my favorite rumor ever along these lines was that Edmonton had an understanding with Chicago that they would eat poo poo on the Duncan Keith trade (literally everything in that trade favored the Hawks) but that later on in the season the Hawks would flip Marc Andre Fleury to the Oilers for next to nothing for the big Oilers playoff run. Speculation was that after Bowman got fired a few months later the new front office didn't feel bound by the understanding and the 2nd part never happened.

Nah, they were riding with Smith, that rumour is nonsense. They signed him to a 2 year deal (that was really a 1 year deal spread over 2).

As to the Keith trade it looked really bad when it happened (like super bad and I'm not defending it), but it turned out fine other than Keith made too much. He was effective and pretty good for them. You see this a lot with defenceman being traded and I'm pretty sure that private tracking data is helping more on that end vs forwards. Or the Oilers got lucky what the gently caress do I know.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pacific division cannot be stopped.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

So when he gets deported are they going to have to carry that cap hit for the next million years, or is the league going to create a new Nichushkin Island category

fakeedit: actually he's been in the US 8 years now so he might be a citizen by now?

I'd assume it gets treated like Voynov's did and his cap hit didn't count while he was suspended.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

How long of a suspension do you get if you participated in sex trafficking

Depends if you're an owner or a player

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kupo! posted:

I did not expect that to be the “personal reasons” Nichushkin was suddenly disappeared by the Avs. What the gently caress, no wonder they tried to sit on it as long as possible. You gotta wonder whose custody he’s in now, the Avs couldn’t be stupid enough to let him loose when they could have liability.

Should they have kidnapped him?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How much of that is even strength?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kupo! posted:

Fair enough, I know gently caress all about how these things work. I'm just surprised the Avs would just tell him "go home" and wash their hands of it.

The Avs were the ones who called the police. We don't know what they did with Nicushkin but they weren't hiding anything that we know of. They just haven't commented.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kupo! posted:

I think I've discovered the problem here, I'm an idiot who did not read the article correctly and missed it was the Avs who made the call. My bad, sorry for the posts.

Considering the history of NHL teams and sexual assaults you have every right to be suspicious

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not too concerned about who wins this playoffs but man I hope Toronto doesn't go out like this again. That's just too depressing.

On the other hand the cool thing about sports is seeing unbelievable things happen!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Penalties being equal doesn't mean the series has been called fairly. It could mean the refs game managed it.

Granted I haven't watched that series at all.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Slo-mo only replays are the worst.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Goilers

Thank you to Armstrong and the Blues for sending uKlim Kostin to Edmonton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

just how we all thought the series would end, with a Kailer Yamamoto GWG

And a Klim Kostin 3 point night