Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Island Nation posted:

That happens is if the top four except Toronto fall in round 1

Do you want Toronto to succeed?

please, do not post as if 1-8 reseeding still exists, it makes me sad

(nothing Toronto does affects NY teams)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Just gotta call those cross checks. The one away from the play is obnoxious, but it's the playoffs and dirty play will happen if it's let go. The one in front of the net is something you do every single time if the refs have swallowed their whistles. I imagine they'll tighten up game 2.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Bolts in 4

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

MJeff posted:

Ugh, where do the Red Wings rank on longest series win drought now, it's gotta be a lot closer than it was 10 minutes ago.

There is still Buffalo

and New Jersey apparently, but that won't last long

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

clean ayers act posted:

how many teams have even won a cup in the post lockout era without a top 5 pick on the team?
i know detroit did it but that was absurd luck with datsyuk and zetterberg

One of my favorite weird NHL facts is that all cup winners since the 2001 Avs have had a top 3 draft pick on their team

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

"WE WANT FLORIDA!"

E:f,b

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fawning deference posted:

"We have no idea". Exactly. Maybe nobody even close to Bratt becomes available via UFA and now you're 3 or 4 years into your winning window.

What are the odds a player like him becomes available who's 24 years old? It doesn't make sense to just hope and see when you already have the player you would be waiting for imo.

And if a player better than Bratt does become available, then the whole league is bidding for them. There's only around a dozen potential UFAs in 2024 or 2025 in that range and they'll all be older than Bratt. His contract will not be without risk, but you don't want to be placing your Cup hopes on like, trying to get Marner in two years.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm cool with it because it's funny when teams are in cap hell for as long as my team is garbage

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

it is terribly stupid that the cap structure makes NHL fans have to give a poo poo, at all, about revenue

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

to be entirely fair, it is not uncommon for sports teams to play in suburban hellholes. Florida are the worst in the NHL but it's not like the Islanders and Sens are much better

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

FunOne posted:

Gut punch of a loss last night for the Canes. Need my teams to step their poo poo up or I'm gonna be rooting for the Knights in the next round.

loving LOL that Reddit is going ape-poo poo over non-calls in the Canes threads. You'd think the problem would be high-quality scoring chances and the fact that they haven't scored more than 3 goals in effectively 4 games of hockey. No, the problem is clearly the refs.

I love people losing it over the high stick on Gostisbehere because going down like you're shot after a gentle tap on the visor absolutely deserves an embellishment call

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I can't stop laughing at this

in a way, I appreciate players leaning hard into being heels -- but also, gently caress this guy, give him 3+

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

tarbrush posted:

Not that I think it's the wrong call necessarily, but getting two games for that when Pietrangelo got one for that slash seems odd

It was silly that Pietrangelo only got one.

But really, never try to make sense of the NHL Wheel of Justice. There is no consistency, nor any hope of being consistent. All we can do is be happy when it feels right, then clear our minds for the next one.

Two games is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The 2023 Panthers are the 2003 Mighty Ducks