Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Family member is attempting to persuade me into trying another one of these types of games, and some of the story/characters/setting seem cool, so i have a couple of questions before I give it a shot. A lot of it is just checking if I understand the op correctly so apologies in advance:

One of my arms/wrists/hands is busted for the near term so i’m glad i can play this on a touchscreen for the moment. In the future i can just play this on another device using an account password right? No dumb rear end transfer code stuff or auth file workaround like fgo?

Also b/c of the arm thing i can’t do action stuff that well. I know this is turn based but is there any timing mechanics at any point? I know there is something like an auto battler which I think should help w/the routine stuff / grinding / etc.

Seems like the free units the game gives you are pretty good? I have no intention of spending my own RL money and am pretty predisposed to Never Rolling and amassing currency until somebody I really like comes along.

Finally (whew) can i just roll with whoever i get from a newbie banner or something? I vaguely remember redoing puzzles and dragons intro like a decade+ ago which in retrospect was pretty loving stupid lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thank you both! I’ll give the game a shot later today.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Anybody have a pitch for one VA language over the others? I didn’t realize I would have a choice!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bad Video Games posted:

I prefer English because I hate having to read the subtitles. And the VAs are generally pretty good!

The original is Chinese if that matters.

I friggin love original language subtitles for non anglosphere media so I was inclined towards the original CN but

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I use JP since while the original is Chinese, Hoyo are huge weebs so they got an extremely good all star cast for the JP language track.

Took a scan at that list and yeah, I’m thinking it’s JP!

Thanks both :cheersdoge:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Noob on the train at about ~4ish hours trip report: I’m enjoying this game!

The touch screen controls were kind of hard with a busted hand actually, found it easier for me to set a ps5 controller down and control that with the good hand. But despite that bit of discomfort and having a bunch of gacha systems thrown at me pretty quickly I’m finding it a fun experience. Presentation is great and I’m forgetting that this game is a gacha a lot of the time (positive). I like the modern sci-fi mixed with galaxy express 999 aesthetic and a lot of the incidental writing (my favorite is the pissy researcher letter doubting the existence of rock people). Plus the mascot makes me think of klonoa so that’s cool.

From the newbie banner I rolled: dupe March, 2 of Qingque, sushang, and Gepard for the 5 star which is unfortunate because he seems like a boring paladin shield guy but I’ll give him a fair shake. Now I’m trying to figure out what team to roll with those + the ones you are guaranteed to have. Herta doesn’t seem too great and I’m slightly underwhelmed with serval, but maybe they are better with levels. I like fishing for hands to get big damage with mahjong girl. Wondering if a shield fuckery squad is a legitimate tactic, but I usually prefer hyper aggressive teams.

Anyway I know I’m really early so I won’t worry about it much.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thanks for the responses everyone! From what people have said it looks like I’m sticking with Gepard for a while (plus I didn’t know his default attack was a gauntlet punch so I already like him more than I did at first) so I’ll go ahead and dump some books into him. Qingque too but I didn’t need convincing on that one :cheeky:

blizzardvizard posted:

Gepard is a "boring shield guy" for sure, but he's probably the best pull off the standard banner for a brand new account if that helps. Serval is actually pretty good, while Herta would probably take more investment to get results out of.

You kinda started at the perfect time actually, since in a few weeks' time we're both getting a free Dr. Ratio, who is already projected to be the best single-target DPS in the game, and a free Lynx, a really good 4-star healer. Gepard + Dr. Ratio + Serval for AOE + flex slot should be a pretty good team to start with. And I don't know if you've got plans for your pulls already, but Ruan Mei is a very good character for you to roll on with your newbie gems if you want, since she's a party-wide buffer that you can basically use in any situation and with any teammate.

Good to hear about Serval, I’ll give her a shot when lightning weaknesses pop up again. Thanks for the heads up about that upcoming team too with the new characters - are they from an event or will they be awarded by default like Serval was?

Don’t have any pulls planned so I’ll keep Ruan Mei in mind. Dunno how many gold tickets I can get in 16 days but at least it sounds like pity carries between banners in this game?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

After bringing a powered up Gepard to simulated universe and rolling a bunch of shield blessings I am now convinced he is the best.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Double checking before I do anything: post departure banner is there any point to holding onto the standard tickets or should I just spend them whenever on the normal banner? They don’t carry over to anything else right?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Standard tickets can be spent freely yeah. There's also no bonus for doing a 10 pull so feel free to spend them as you get them if you want.

Cool thanks :cheersdoge:

I’ve learned from the other gacha I play that single pulls drive me insane so I think I’ll at least wait for increments of 10 lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also IDK if it was said upthread but on the rotating banner your pity carries over so if you for example, rolled 60 times on Ruan Mei and didn't get a 5 star, and then didn't roll again until the next banner, you'd still only need a maximum of 30 rolls to hit the hard pity limit (although you'd most likely hit soft pity around 70 or 80) unlike some games where you have to bank an entire spark worth of rolls per banner.

Oh yeah, that’s explained in the OP a bit but helps to see explained again. A much gentler pity system than I’m used to plus a “story” banner equivalent that isn’t straight garbage is a welcome improvement

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tried my hand at the limited banner for Ruan Mei today, in 20 pulls did not get her of course but I did land Tingyun who seems good. Hell all the buffers I’ve seen so far in this game look good.

I’ve been focusing on MC/Gapard/Qingque/Asta but now with Tingyun I feel like I’ll be spreading myself a little thin with 5. Don’t know how many characters I can juggle when I know everything gets harder when I raise my EQ level and exp feeling like it gets a little thin soon. Kind of a bummer when I want to play around with new characters but maybe that’s what random supports are for!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Pulled Lynx from the standard banner in advance of the free copy coming soon. Looks like Gepard has a new best friend just in time for what feels like the ice planet boss :letsgo:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Paid slightly more attention to the warp menu and noticed the currency you get from warping - is this typically spent for warp tickets first (I see they are half off for 5 at the moment), or should I hold onto it for when I really need something else?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Leraika posted:

the small currency (embers) you'll always want to save enough for your 10 warp tickets a month, but after that you can spend it on whatever you want without too much trouble. the big currency you'll probably always want to use for pull tickets, and also probably to save up.

:tipshat: thank you!

Tree Reformat posted:

also, the "discount" on the pulls/tracks in the consulation currency shop are a filthy lie, they always look like that

lol, nice

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

On the evil character subject, a post I saw earlier in the thread sums up my feelings

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The more hosed up and evil a character is = the better they are.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm guessing this doesn't matter much given where I currently am and definitely doesn't over the long term, but what should I be doing with the daily stamina gauge in general? I'm not yet trailblaze 30 at the space china ship.

Currently working off of the priority list of: hit weekly SU cap -> weekly EoW attempts -> exp calyx if needed for core squad / cones -> trace calyxes if needed for core squad -> whatever. It doesn't seem like the relic stuff is all that worthwhile for me to do quite yet.

Assignments too - I've just been doing character + cone exp then adding in whatever character material(s) are lowest.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I don't have access to gold relics yet, is the thing. Unless I'm mistaken.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I think my problem is that I like all my homies, even Luka who I randomly pulled today and at a cursory glance doesn't seem super amazing.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

All four of my main squad and a couple more are decked out in full purples already from just doing the story. Regardless I might spare some stamina for it anyway because I see it's a weekly quest thing to do some.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah I am tripping over relics, many of them purple, from a lot of different directions at the moment.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It’s very convenient that I can see where to get materials from basically any menu in the character tab, and whether or not I have access to them yet. That’s a very welcome change compared to needing to look up things in wikis.

Though of course it’s also how I learned that all these A2s need EoW runs :negative: at least reset is soon!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I’m closing in on soft pity, wish me luck!!!!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

New Leaf posted:

I feel like I'm drowning in side-quests. I just finished Belabong's main story I think, I'm supposed to follow up at the train and get ready for the next assignment, but there's still a zillion things to do on the planet and a ton of new things at the space station. What should I prioritize? I'm 40, ascended most of my mains but haven't XP'd them up yet.

I’m just about where you are and I’m just doing a little bit of story and then more interesting side quests and having a good time. For me that means the side quests that open up stuff like the critter event (and anything that rewards jade)

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 6, 2024

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Also I pulled xuyei in my attempt at Ruan Mei today and she is immediately putting everything in the dumpster, wow

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Got Ruan Mei + E1 tingyun from the limited and Pela from the standard today, immediately drowning in the options now that I’ve unlocked equilibrium 2 and all this new farming also lol. Game is fun!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

How does the game determine that your party is weak for a given challenge? I ask because I did the bug echo of war today at difficulty 2 for Ruan Mei's traces and it said my party was too weak... but I easily kicked its rear end on auto lol. Party was all lv 50 and it was 42. Relic levels maybe?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Another 5* pull today, this time Clara. If I’m reading her abilities right she wants to get hit to do counter damage which means I probably shouldn’t pair her with Gepard with his passive aggro draw. A shame since I’ve built everything around him as my first 5* but maybe I’ll see the need to trade off the shields for her damage soon?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Genovera posted:

Clara does indeed have slight anti-synergy with Gepard. Clara works really well with Lynx since Lynx's heal increases aggro on Destruction or Preservation characters. March also works, though I prefer Lynx outside SU.

Keep in mind you'll need two teams for MoC and PF. You could use Gepard on one team and Clara+Lynx on the other.

Genovera posted:

Oh by the way, I think you also had pulled Tingyun recently? She goes really well with Clara too because she helps Clara reapply her ult to keep up the aggro and damage boost.

Thanks for the heads up, I had completely forgotten lynx’s ability worked for destruction characters as well. I keep forgetting about the 2 team stuff so that puts my mind at ease a bit.

And yeah I did pull Tingyun, she’s been pretty useful though I’ve elected to invest in Ruan Mei first.

I should probably look up how MoC and PF work soon!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Help, instead of doing story I’ve become addicted to full elation build on Clara in SU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I will be picking Bronya unless she comes to me earlier because she seems very good. Also I would like more than one source of wind damage

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bad Video Games posted:

Bronya isn't really a source of damage from herself though. She makes Dan Heng hit like a truck though.

Yes, I know, I didn’t think she was a carry. I just only have one wind character at the moment.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

What’s the general guidance on using fuel? It seems like later Calyx tiers are more efficient and I think I read the rate I’m currently at for CoC is only 50/50 for gold relics (just broke 40) so I was thinking to hold for another equilibrium level or so.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

As a new player I have no idea what to spend all my jade on since I’m not yet at cap doing the new modes.

For example, looking at the next patch banners listed by the website in the OP (very helpful), I think I want to pull for Kafka since she’s cool, I only have serval for lightning dmg, and she opens up a new playstyle for me I think. But I also don’t know if I should try for another dr ratio copy or the lightcones for example, though I’m really leaning towards (good) character variety over depth at the moment. Is that instinct fine (for now at least)?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Kanos posted:

If you are a new player who is F2P or low investment, do not pull for eidolons or light cones until you have a couple of stable teams. New characters will always be more beneficial because they will give you more options that will help you break open content you can't do easier.

Yeah this is what i figured. Plus to be honest it’s more fun to pull new characters than cones for me. But I’m also coming from another game where you really don’t pull for the cones equivalent so maybe it’s preexisting bias talking!

Bad Video Games posted:

Definitely pull for new characters. Blade is cool and good if you like him, and Kafka is awesome. If you can afford it, Kafka and Black Swan should make for a pretty strong team. I think? I haven't looked at Black Swan's kit too hard, but she's a DoT character, and Kafka explodes them. They should be best friends.

I did think about blade and his cool JP VA but the jade newbie surplus is about out I think and I’d rather choose Kafka. That said dan heng is my only wind element but I’ve been able to work around that more than lightning given how the elements on enemies are co-located usually.

Endorph posted:

Just pull for what you want. I realize that's unhelpful advice but don't worry too much about like, Ruining your Account Because You Pulled for the Wrong Thing or w/e, game's pretty easy

kafka's a good character and DOT is a fun playstyle that's also easy to build for (most of the other characters kafka wants on her team are 4*s, she doesn't need super optimal relics, she works well with a lot of lower rarity lightcones).

if you do wanna pull for something to buff up ratio, id recommend his lightcone over his eidolons. his lightcone seems like something that could be good for other characters,

topaz, for instance, could use it, and any other follow-up based hunt characters they release in the future. compared to his eidolon, which would only buff him.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not worried about it since free stuff is pretty drat good in this game. Just organizing thoughts and I guess fishing for a comparative eval of certain characters lol :cheeky:

Thanks for the cone eval, if i get lucky with Kafka I’ll pull for it i think.

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 16, 2024

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

This is surprisingly hard to look up: if I don’t have any more story quests in the mission list, does that mean I’ve hit the current limit or is it possible I could be TL locked? There was a popup after the last quest I did finished but I tapped through it on accident before reading. If it matters I just saw (late? Luofu) the general, Luocha and Jingliu in a dark room and I think we are getting off the giant space boat

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thanks both! I have been working on the continuances as well, finished the one on Jarilo earlier and am about to do the one on Luofu now that I’ve finished stacking all the boxes lol. I guess I’m now entering the mission cleanup and grinding phase, haven’t even hit TL 50 yet.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I would not play this presentation heavy anime gacha game if I didn't like at least some of the story (mostly the good side stories and those mixed with minigames like the museum) and characters because while fun it's not like the combat and subsytems are revolutionary. And it's a gacha.

That said I always roll for power and not love, because power is love :twisted:

E: worded badly, I mean to say I personally wouldn’t be invested in this game. Ofc ppl should play for whatever reason they want

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 17, 2024

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah I pretty much have beelined anything that’s a companion quest or continuance because those usually are good to great. It’s most of the rest that’s middling to bad generally. And the green quests are horrifically dull but I didn’t expect any different

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Edly posted:

I did not get lucky, 150 pulls to get Kafka. Got Bronya E2 in the process but nothing else of note.

70 tix and bupkis except for e4 sushang over here. At least I’ll hit half pity soon and know if it’s happening or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Speaking of stellaron hunters I got my Kafka just before the 50/50 and now between her and Dr. Ratio + existing roster I really want to hit TL 50 soon for better return on trailblaze power lol. There’s just so many characters that are good!