Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

Trailblazer's still a mostly silent protagonist but they just talk for themselves via dialogue options/occasional actual lines with VAing, yeah. There's no mascot character or anything, March 7th is the app icon but she's just like, a person, who's one of the party members in the plot, she definitely isn't serving Paimon's role.

Oh theres a mascot character and its a weird rabbit conductor thing called Pom-Pom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

4-5 years ago I stumbled upon this really eye catching anime character design for what would turn out to be Bronya Zaychik: Herscherr of Reason. This would lead me to a really janky written wiki page with what looked like machine translated text from the Chinese internet that didn't really make any sense to me even without context for how the whole Imaginary Tree universe worked. It also seemed to be a game that was only available in China with the pretense of edgy pretty godlike anime girls beating each other up with reality breaking levels of force. I kind of dismissed it after browsing that wiki and seeing a pretty badly animated video of what would turn out to be the ending to Honkai Gakuen 2 which had just been uploaded at the time and was like whatever I'll never really hear of this Honkai Benghuai Xueyuan whatever in any capacity again anyway and seems like otaku power fantasy stuff that's I guess trendy in China, but I remember thinking wow there was something about that character design and art style that popped more than usual.

Anyway flash forward to now and a character from that thing with that art style that curiously remained in the back of my mind from around immediate pre-pandemic times is now on an ad in Times Square and Honkai brand is at the top of twitch viewers index for it's launch. Also the budgets and production values since Honkai Gakuen 2 have improved exponentially. Explain this discrepancy in the simulation whoever is running it. :stare:

For reference the video I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWteuy5U0nA. Same company as Genshin Impact and this game 5ish years ago.

UHD posted:

making the mc's weapon a baseball bat was not on my gacha bingo card

Cause the main character from Honkai Impact's thing is beating stuff up with a baseball bat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVHD6ieRmTI Another video that should obviously explain everything.

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 26, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

:3:

Kale
May 14, 2010

This game hit Number 1 on the app store grossing chart in China at launch very easily. Let them foot the production bill like they did with Honkai 3rd Id say and not worry about it otherwise. They're also giving it a pretty mssive global marketing campaign. Ads in Times Square and Tokyo and an event this weekend in times Square to see a life size version of the train. There's something to be said for intense blanket advertising in the anime circle as long as the underlying fundamentals are at least solid enough.

If you want my other two cents as well, it seems to be mainly Square Enix going around closing down all theise global versions of games super quickly and turtling up in Japan anyway. I also just feel like China and particularly Mihoyo seems a lot more serious about trying to have their games have a global impact than Japan is lately and is willing to weather some storms and do the necessary marketing and outreach to achieve this even if they have to spend a lot of money on marketing and take up risky bets. Japan though they started bringing over some of these gacha titles lately just seems to get cold feet more quickly and go into that uniquely Japanese risk aversion business strategy mode.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 26, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Figured I'd do a little brief summary of some of the legacy characters in this game for shits and giggles and just cause I find it amusing to talk about how bonkers the lore in the Honkai series is. Keep in mind this has minimal bearing on their characters here in this universe and is largely done to the best of my knowledge based on the manga, in-game stuff and various flavor texts for Honkai 3rd, hence the spoiler tags.

Himeko: In the previous era of the Honkai 3 Universe over 50,000 years ago, Himeko was the commander of a unit fighting the Honkai until she was awoken as the Herscherr of Fire (Think absolute master of an element or concept bordering on godhood) and burned the continent of Australia to the ground essentially in a total casualty situation before finally being stopped leaving one character Fu Hua partially traumatized by the incident since it was Himeko that had rescued and recruited her in the first place. In the current era she was interested in astronomy but instead chose to undergo rituals necessary to become an artificial Valkyrie, although not having the proper genetic makeup to do so shortened her lifespan she still chose to go through with it since she felt it was the place in life where she could most make a difference. Eventually she ended up crossing paths with the main characters Kiana, Mei and Bronya and had to fight back Mei in her Herscherr of Thunder form using a specialized powered armor suit, which should have been basically impossible (remember her previous era Herscherr incarnation versus the entire continent of Australia was a losing battle for the latter), but through a combination of some other factors she managed to have the Herscherr of Thunder sealed. She decided to take the trio under her wing and essentially became the mentor character to them all and trained them as Valkyries to fight the Honkai during the 3rd major eruption. We all know what usually happens to senpai/mentor characters in these stories though, but I'll leave it at that. Very obviously based in part on the character of Misato Katsuragi from Evangelion.

Silver Wolf If you play the game in Japanese you'll notice she has the same voice actor and kind of looks like Bronya, which is because she essentially is the child form of Bronya Zaychik from Honkai 3rd. Bronya was an orphaned Russian child following the 2nd Honkai Eruption conflict (chronicled in a 10 volume or so manga series) that was recruited as an assassin by the Siberian army and became known as the legendary Silver Wolf. Eventually she would be sent on a mission to assassinate the terrorist Cocolia, but ended up failing and was captured and recruited into Cocolia's "Orphanage" which was essentially just the same life as a trained killer she'd always lived. It was there that she would meet Seele Vollerei though and find her first friend in life and they'd form a deep sisterly bond. In the manga Azure Waters Cocolia would attempt to run a test on entering the Quantum realm which Seele would eventually volunteer for in order to save Bronya from the ordeal, but she would get lost in the Quantuum realm during the experiment leading Bronya to try to enter to rescue her anyway. Staying too long in the quantuum realm had some adverse effects though which lead to a seizure essentially robbing Bronya of the ability to properly express emotions, though she still seems to understand and be able to process those of people around her. This is why she has such a lispy monotone voice in at least the Japanese dub of the game despite a healthy dose of sarcasm to a lot of her lines. Eventually she'd be sent on a mission to try to kidnap Raiden Mei in Japan (It was known by Cocolia that she's the natural Herscherr of Thunder and Cocolia is trying to collect Herscherr cores for one of her many experiments), but she ends up forming a friendship with the two after the 3rd honkai eruption breaks out and defects from and joins the group on their journey through the warzone of Nagazora where they're eventually all recruited and rescued by Himeko's detachment. Based in large part on the sarcastic quippy low emotion characters in sci-fi/mecha anime popularized by the likes of Rei Ayanami from Evangelion and Ruri Hoshino from Martian Successor Nadesico.

I'll probably do a little more of these later, but it's been pretty interesting to see some of the similarities and differences with these characters different incarnations already. For so many people this is their first introduction to these characters though.

Kale
May 14, 2010

coolusername posted:

I’m really digging this one. I tried Genshin Impact but I couldn’t get into the writing, it was veeery dry.

Meanwhile Star Rail just has a lot of really funny little flourishes I keep stumbling on and you can play the nameless one as an absolute weirdo non-stop.

like this reminds me of Portal.

That's funny because I always thought that Genshin has a lot of those sorts of things as well, albeit moreso earlier on, where it tailored the writing and linguistic stylings (and memes) to whatever region the language setting was on. I actually wasn't really expecting that with the game and kind of expected it to be jank Chinese->English borderline incomprehensible poorly transliterated story telling like that Honkai 3rd wiki I tried to read 5 years ago. Funny how people can have such different impressions.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Whoreson Welles posted:

Absolutely wild to me that they link all these universes together so much. Never played HI3 but I knew Himeko was in it when she was revealed in Star Rail and everyone lost their minds. Had no idea about Bronya, Silver Wolf, and Seele though.

Also as a Genshin player I had no clue Raiden Shogun was (it sounds like) similar to Raiden Mei? Also she’s the Electro Archon vs Mei’s Herscherr of Thunder? Very neat.

Yeah Mei is the main Japanese representative character in the franchise along with Yae and they've shared the same Japanese voice actresses across all their appearances and versions so far and I believe the same Chinese ones as well. Miyuki Sawashiro and Ayane Sakura. Theres rumors of them eventually getting expys in this game and I'm curious to see if they retain their English VAs now that they have them in Genshin or if they just ignore that with the casting. Honkai Impact 3rd came out before Mihoyo got trendy outside of Asia so it just never had an English dub and used the Japanese one with subtitles.

e: I'm already getting youtube ads for this game on my phone.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

okay kale have you actually played honkai impact or just read the wiki

I've read a fair bit of the manga stuff and done up to around Chapter 10. Any corrections are welcome if I get thing's wrong. I actually forgot all about the captainverse ngl Even within itself the Honkai lore is kind of convoluted. It also does that thing where famous people throughout history are genderbent and reimagined as having Valkyrie powers sometimes.

Boris Galerkin posted:

the gently caress is a expie it sounds like a slur

Exported Character. Not sure why you think that sounds like a slur but there you go.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 27, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

Always great to see this sort of thing all together like this, plus there was some stuff I didn't know about Bronya's backstory, but you missed a couple things that might be relevant.

1. Maybe you were saving this for Welt, but Himeko and Welt were somewhat close when Himeko was in college and he was her professor. Then he severed to try to keep her from getting involved in Honkai stuff. Then she did anyway, Final Lesson happened, and he partially blames himself. Given that, unlike probably all the other expies, Welt actually IS the Welt from Honkai dimension hopping, this seems relevant. (I only know about this because I got linked to the Alien Space manga as a link between the two games somewhere. Not that much of a link, but for that guy who wanted to see some more Post-Honkai stuff, there's a bit of it.) (Also if you could do Welt next, I do not know much of his deal. He seems like someone with a lot of stuff in side materials I haven't read, not much presence in the main game.)

2. As Absum mentioned, you got the wrong Bronya. Silver Wolf is clearly based on Haxxor Bunny. She's sort of Cyberpunk Bronya, with a completely different personality. She comes from a world with only one city with everything outside walled off, where she worked at Raven/Natasha's restaurant and also did Cyberpunk Crimes. Eventually she got some Multiverse Stuff hinted at her while she was trying to leave the city, left, found jack loving poo poo, and somehow wound up dimension hopping into the Captainverse Hyperion. She considered herself something of a free agent there, and between that and there ALREADY being a Bronya in the Star Rail universe and just the story economy of there apparently being TWO dimension hopping cyberpunk Bronyas, it is very possible that Silver Wolf is literally Haxxor Bunny. Then again, I doubt they're ever gonna make that relevant besides <Alludes to backstory> <Honkai Impact Players know what she's talking about, Star Rail players get the general idea>, but at least as far as listing connections that seems worth pointing out.

To be honest I thought Bronya Rand was supposed to be Bronya Zaychik (Silver Wing) and Silver Wolf was analogous to Bronya as she is in the main story. The only Captainverse thing I've kind of really seen is the one where its like the regular cast as figures from Romance Of The Three Kingdoms.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/1651647401894064128

What the gently caress is going on :psyduck:?! Why does 5 years ago random character design franchise I found on the internet and memory filed for years get referenced by Arby's now. What did the pandemic do to the simulation? Never in a million years..........

Kale
May 14, 2010

Figured I might do another one of those Expy blurb things now that I'm finally clear of work and not watching hockey every night.

Seele is based in large part on the character of Seele Vollerei from Honkai Impact 3rd and her relationship with Bronya carries over from that universe as well with some differences, the most obvious of which visually is that they are both aged up quite a bit. For one Seele's base character in Honkai 3rd is that of an extremely timid weak willed orphan girl who has trouble standing up for herself. Bronya on the other hand is the opposite and tough as nails coming from a lifetime of hardship and assasinations. After being brought to Cocolia's orphanage Seele quickly developed an intense sisterlike adoration of Bronya after she protected her from the main bully in the orphanage, a girl named Sin Mal (who you know is a bad girl, but also a bit character since her name is Sin Mal and she's one of the very few female characters in the entire franchise to not be all glammed up and has shark teeth and dresses rather drab too) causing Sin to develop a one sided grudge against the two. This culminates in Sin pushing Bronya down the stairs of the orphanage and breaking her legs in the process, leading to her current in game appearance of having artificial prosthetic legs, though Bronya essentially allows this to happen and is called out on it by Cocolia. Eventually Seele would be kidnapped to try to ransom some money out of Cocolia, who would send Bronya alone to deal with the kidnappers resulting in her killing all of them including several right in front of Seele who typically doesn't like violence and gets freaked out by it.

Here's where things get kind of interesting though as this sensation of violence in front of her leads to awareness in Seele that she has a dormant personality/entity in her that the script refers to as Veliona that likes what it sees. This version of Seele is essentially the polar opposite of Seele (alternate color schemes involving red as opposed to blue) and extremely violent, cruel, vengeful and sadistic, but also extremely protective of her host body Seele to the point where despite taunting her a lot she's ultimately subservient in a sense to Seele's will and wants to be unleashed to do the things Seele can't. So when Sin comes around a second time trying to bully Seele while Bronya isn't around it does not go well for the former and we see precisely what she is capable of as Seele lets her take over her body to deal with things so Bronya won't eventually have to again. Anyway since I covered it already in the Bronya summary, eventually Seele would take the Quantum realm test in place of Bronya and get trapped there, leading to Bronya's motivation for a good chunk of the early main story to try to find a way to get her back out of there resulting in a really cool trio of climax scenes for both characters and Seele finally accepting the other side of her personality to help them both escape so they can fulfill their promise of visiting the ocean together.

IMO Seele is based in large part on the character of Hotaru Tomoe/Sailor Saturn from the Shojo classic Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon. Aside from sharing a similar hairstyle, they are both extremely weak willed sickly looking girls who develop a strong friendship with a much stronger willed personality character their age (Chibi-Usa in her case) and have death motifs, wield scythes in combat and have a hidden far more sadistic personality/entity dormant within them that comes out under extreme duress such as being bullied or having her friends threatened. Her name is based on Mihoyo's founding people's love of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which Honkai Impact 3rd was heavily influenced by. IMO Seele in Star Rail is also a combination of Seele Vollerei and Veliona that takes them somewhere to the middle of their extreme opposite personalities, with references to Veliona in how Seele's eyes glow red when she uses her ultimate. Also if I had to guess, her tendency to phase in and out of reality is in reference to her relationship with the quantum realm in Honkai 3rd and spending several years there. All incarnations of the character share the same voice actress in Japanese Mai Nakahara.

And that's plenty for now. :stonk:

e: Minor trivia, the song Cyberangel in the 2nd video is sung by Bronya's chinese VA who as far as I can tell is a popular Bilibili singer/personality, who has a gimmick of only appearing as an avatar or having her face covered in public. I don't think anybody has ever actually seen her face. Hanser voices Silver Wolf in CN, but apparently did not feel she could pull off the voice for Bronya Rand, apologizing to fans in China.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 30, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

What is it about Honkai Impact that makes people want to write unprompted walls of text about stuff most players of the other game will never care about? Like, I guess it's fine and not off-topic or anything, but if we wanted to play Honkai Impact we'd play Honkai Impact, and people who already have won't need that info, so who is the target audience for these posts?

Some people seemed intrigued, other do not. I feel like I've said this dozens of times already, but the absolute beauty of the internet is that nobody is obligated to read things they don't want too. One could just as easily ask the question what is about large posts that seems to grievously offend the sensibilities of some, but not of others. If a couple people hadn't responded to my last one and we'd had a bit of a dialogue and some corrections were noted that had me learning some things on my own in the process, I wouldn't be doing any more of these.

So like why the chippiness? If it's so brutal for a majority of people to have to scroll past a spoilered post out of dozens of others and people are so offended by it en masse I simply won't do anymore as it actually does take a bit of time and compilation to go over it and embed some links and stuff. Frankly though Endorph in particular getting uproariously upset at half the things I post and concerning themselves with it is gonna happen anyway though so.....

If people want to set a thread rule about what the absolute maximum length of a post is allowed to be and try to enforce that everybody stick to their preferred posting format I say go for it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Wait are people upset because they think I was trying to drive across some absolute connection between the two games? Don't know what to say to that, but I was literally just noting some similarities and differences between the characters and their originators in 3rd. Now I'm wondering if anybody has ever heard of Osamu Tezuka's star system which I think is what's actually going on here and what Hoyo's plan is for these games and recurring characters.

Archonex posted:

Going off of the Genshin thread it's been multiple people, myself one of them when explaining stuff some folks asked about. We had people screeching about it back then too, and it was just as inane of a complaint as it was then.
It's kind of giving me the sense that some people want discussion to be limited to only what people did with their gacha roles or posting rare item finds or character build flexes, which is certainly a form of discussion, but at the same time I'm kind of old school. I cut my teeth on rather complex multi-entry sometimes involving alternate universes, lore heavy sci-fi/fantasy franchises like Gundam, Star Trek, Lord of The Rings, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, D&D, Magic The Gathering material going back to the early 90's. Stuff that gets me rethinking interpretations of events, characters and outcomes every time I go back to rewatch or revisit the vast amounts of material. I guess I'm a bit of a nerd in that sense, but this is the sort of stuff I personally find interesting and sometimes like to talk about, even a little at length. Your going to find multiple different types of people with varying degrees of interest or investment in this sort of material, and I think it's kind of wise to square that with yourself and with others in order to have a relatively productive/functional fan community that doesn't devolve into the sorts of petty infighting I see happen all too often these days, especially with the current generation of anime/otaku stuff if I'm being totally honest.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 30, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Archonex posted:

All of the games are marketed that way, but also incorporate elements of past games that usually end up being relevant to the plot in some sort of way. Hell, Honkai Impact 3 is based off of a prior game whose overall nature of it's plot has literally has changed over time due to sequel games from a grimdark story that was unrelentingly bleak to a "what if this was the grimdark timeline where everything sucked and everyone suffered?".

This is also true. You have not even seen past the tip of the iceberg if you think this is bad compared to Genshin. :allears:

Honkai 2nd kind of came out at a time when ultra grimdark twisted subversion stories were all the rage in the anime community in the early to mid 2010's, which IMO in part came as a pendulum swinging response to the sugary moe stuff that was all the rage of the mid to late 2000's. Since then it feels like what's trendy in the subculture has settled back down towards a middle ground again of just how life goes sometimes where you take the good and take the bad and Honkai 3rd/Genshin/Star Rail are reflecting this more.

I remember a character in Genshin (might have been Yoimiya actually) making reference to grimdark subversive twisted stories (the hero slays the dragon only to become the new dragon themselves, perpetuating a cycle of hopelessness was an example they provided) being all the rage and how they just aren't into that sort of stuff very much. I tend to agree in part. Some of the popular otaku stuff of the early 2010's and the bad outcomes that would result, or just bizarre character motivations of some characters (where it seems like the writers were trying to be subversive for the sheer sake of it to provoke reactions among consumers) to the point of their whole character not really making much sense to me, just kind of didn't do it in the long run, and I thought some of those popular works of that era ended up kind of stupid in the long run for it. I'm not against dark material or dark twists or subversive stuff by any means, but it kind of has to make sense and serve a narrative purpose, otherwise it's frankly no better than things that feel the need to pull out a forced happy ending for the sake of the audiences expectations.

There probably in some ways best to continue to try to bury the existence of Honkai 2nd and just focus on what they have going on currently with Honkai 3rd, Genshin and now Honkai: Star Rail continuing to march along.

Clarste posted:

See this is exactly what I mean by all Honkai Impact players being brokebrained. It's like you don't understand how stories work, all you see is "lore." If Welt being a dimensional traveler is relevant it'll come up, and if it's not it won't.

Yeah I'm just going to assume you are weirdly chippy about a lot of things, looking to beef with people, and just not worry about reading your posts anymore. See the power of choice to read or not to read?

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 30, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Okay no more of the expy lore stuff. Sorry people who were kind of interested in it and wanted to chat about that sort of stuff a little, but if enough people are going to be this pissy about it it's simply not worth it either for my time investment or the end result. There you go. :unsmith:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Indecisive posted:

people have literally posted 50x more about how this 1 dudes posts sucks, you could have all just shut the gently caress up and scrolled for 0.5 second and moved on with your day instead of all this worthless loving whining

In all honesty the only reason I even did another one of those today was like I said some people found it interesting last time even though Endorph took grave offense. Since Endorph apparently runs this thread too like several other anime/game ones that they are involved in and remains in charge of telling people what they are allowed to post or not its just not worth the constant beefing like I said, and it was clearly my mistake to put other people's seeming interest ahead of Endorph's and several others personal lack of interest which I suppose takes takes priority. I'd only really have Welt to cover anyway of the currently present characters. He's a pretty cool interesting character too.

:lol: at somebody actually posting an entire wikipedia entry though without any spoiler tagging whatsoever just to beef and try to make some bizarre point. Really considerate stuff there. Note the stark differences between the extremely bad posting I did and their good posting.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 30, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Y'all are just mean for no good reason. I get that this is SA and that has A Brand and all but the last three pages was just people being toxic assholes. If you're gonna commit to the brand you should at least be funny.

Yeah personally I don't find posting a giant un-spoilered wiki entry about a character with no added analysis or anything productive in it all that funny even if the assumption is people will never play that particular game anyway. It's kind of a dick move and more of a gently caress you to the entire thread and people posting in it than a gently caress you to me for not liking a post, which I may have a rebuttal for, but can take it all the same. Ridiculous loving poo poo in all honesty.

As for the Endorph thing, while not the particular person in question beefing the hardest, they have a rather tiresome habit of appearing to tell people what they are allowed and not allowed to post about in anime/game threads and then backing off to just saying "akshually your post was just crap and that's what it's all about" and then acting like they are somehow the victim of some particular injustice when people get kind of annoyed by it after a while, and it just hasn't gone unnoticed. Somehow they always seem to be present in this sort of stuff, but yeah maybe it wasn't entirely fair to voice my particular frustration in this instance with them by name followed by "and some others". It's not like they're posting giant un-spoilered wiki entries just to be a dick about stuff for no reason. I apologize for singling them out in this particular instance, but at the same time my goodness, I hope at least some self-reflection happens out of all this. I'll be doing some of my own.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Back on topic, yeah you can tell Kafka is kind of going to the it character for a lot of people online since she ticks a tremendous amount of boxes for current trends in otaku tastes in female characters. She will probably need to be the absolute most meta character in the game so far though in order to avoid the first major fan meltdown paranoid conspiracy reaction far too early into the games run if the rumors are true that her first banner is in 1.2.

I'll mark it down on my bingo card right here right now though, the first instance of major drama in the fan community for this game post honeymoon phase is somehow going to revolve around Kafka no matter what they do with her kit.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

You forgot Silver Wolf / Haxxor Bunny, Shushang, there's apparently an Otto twin coming up, and I'm pretty sure Kafka looks like Eden with her hair tied. (And if so, I would like Eden much more with this English voice acting.) Also Welt in particular feels, even in main game HI3, like he has kind of a lot of "that's probably interesting but I'm not going to track down and read a whole comic for it" going on. (Or maybe it's just that I like his design and his stigma art (and now his fight in Alien Space) but he never does anything in the HI3 game. Here's hoping we get to see him do stuff here.)

But if you don't think it's worth it that's fine. Hoyo is pretty good about keeping that sort of thing's relevance and exploration at a place where you don't really need the extra info. It's not important, it will probably never be important, and if it is they will tell you the important part. But it is fun.

Also Bronya and Seele are pretty explicitly gay. I'm not sure how canon it is but Veliona has a Seele body pillow in her mind palace sometimes. Bronya can tell the difference between Seele and Veliona and has been able to since the orphanage, long before being told about her. After Veliona having some initial jealousy issues they seem to get along now. Veliona's actual in-universe name is "Seele" or "Other Seele," chosen because when asked to name her Seele was like "well you're me, right? You deserve the name just as much as me." I'm not sure where the name "Veliona" comes from, but it's on Stygian Nymph so . . .

And wait I'm pretty sure Bronya has normal flesh legs, they just don't really work until after she becomes a Herrscher?

Also the crazy rear end Genshin lore speculation with references to Gnosticism and all sorts of mythological and historical references and stuff is the best. :allears:

Shhhh we're not allowed to talk about this stuff anymore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You know people were a bit too mean regarding the lore posting crap but acting like a little passive aggressive bitch like this does you no favors dog.

Better make up our minds then on exactly what is and isnt allowed to be posted in this thread and what is and isn't allowed to be said by whom specifically or not and put it in the OP then. It hasnt even been a week yet and will be a long several years possibly otherwise unless some posting rules and boundaries are set.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

You forgot Silver Wolf / Haxxor Bunny, Shushang, there's apparently an Otto twin coming up, and I'm pretty sure Kafka looks like Eden with her hair tied. (And if so, I would like Eden much more with this English voice acting.) Also Welt in particular feels, even in main game HI3, like he has kind of a lot of "that's probably interesting but I'm not going to track down and read a whole comic for it" going on. (Or maybe it's just that I like his design and his stigma art (and now his fight in Alien Space) but he never does anything in the HI3 game. Here's hoping we get to see him do stuff here.)

But if you don't think it's worth it that's fine. Hoyo is pretty good about keeping that sort of thing's relevance and exploration at a place where you don't really need the extra info. It's not important, it will probably never be important, and if it is they will tell you the important part. But it is fun.

Also Bronya and Seele are pretty explicitly gay. I'm not sure how canon it is but Veliona has a Seele body pillow in her mind palace sometimes. Bronya can tell the difference between Seele and Veliona and has been able to since the orphanage, long before being told about her. After Veliona having some initial jealousy issues they seem to get along now. Veliona's actual in-universe name is "Seele" or "Other Seele," chosen because when asked to name her Seele was like "well you're me, right? You deserve the name just as much as me." I'm not sure where the name "Veliona" comes from, but it's on Stygian Nymph so . . .

And wait I'm pretty sure Bronya has normal flesh legs, they just don't really work until after she becomes a Herrscher?

Also the crazy rear end Genshin lore speculation with references to Gnosticism and all sorts of mythological and historical references and stuff is the best. :allears:

Since I never answered this properly yesterday, Kafka was actually a stigmata set in Honkai Impact, though they've clearly chosen to take the concept in a different direction judging by her new attire and general demeanor. It's practically a total redesign save for the purple hair.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JruxFQurUDQ

New trailer dropped a few hours ago in the dead of night for EST people as is usual for Mihoyo stuff. Some of the Aeon's definitely have some unique designs. Real cosmic entity energy

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

I wonder if any of the other ones will get added later as new classes or new roguelike paths or something.

Edit: It's also interesting that some of them are mentioned that are explicitly dead (The Propagation, killed by The Hunt) or missing (The Beauty, got bored of the universe and left), while leaving out others brought up in the story who are also gone (The Order, absorbed by The Harmony; and The Permanence who also disappeared mysteriously).

Its an interesting set up so far yeah and shows just how much this companies story concepts are influenced by Gnosticism. Btw the main space china theme is really loving good. The games a little hit or miss with its music for me compared to Genshin but that one really stands out. Kind of get Zeal Palace from Chrono Trigger vibes a bit.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Do we know how many banners we have until Silver Wolf? I want her on top of Kafka but I'm sick of seeing every video about the game basically being "IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SEELE YOU ARE STUPID AND BAD AND SHOULD UNINSTALL"-level hype on Seele. :negative:

I wouldn't pay all that much attention to this stuff. Its by and large complete nonsense of people looking to get in on "the hype" and just saying a whole lot of whatever generally. It was like that for Genshin too then kind of moved onto doomposted about how you absolutely should NOT roll on x character. You can all but ignore youtube and the like as a resource when it comes to commentary on gacha titles.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/SeulgiVLR/status/1653983817516871680

:lol: I refuse to believe this isnt some PR stunt. These ESports teams usually have coach's too and I have a hard time figuring they'd allow that to happen.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like her design but the leotard is so silly.

Its kind of like the FedEx arrow of her design philosophy for sure.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

youtube advertising for mobile games is insanely terrible. arknights had one where they call a lion girl a fox and talk about how much they want to gently caress her for like 2 minutes.

I think there's one where they treat the Doctor concept like some sort of on call surgeon. There's also some weird ones for Genshin that kind of reference things from in game, but twist them to where it's some strange Adult Swim humour like outcome such as Ganyu killing Timmie's pigeons and then leering menacingly at him.

Keep in mind that what's depicted in this video is kind how a lot of the Western world views anime stuff and it's fanbase including even people that casually dabble in anime otaku stuff. It's like this constant churn of ironic self-deprecating humour by people that don't really play the games or watch the shows or examine anything on a more than surface deep, any old person can get that impression at first glance level, (hahahaha girl have big boobs is waifu hahaha I luv I sad->pathetic etc.) that a lot of people on social media especially still seem to find incredibly funny somehow, but for me has kind of more than worn thin over the years even in terms of laughing at such gross stereotyping. It's not like I can't have a chuckle at a subculture I kind of dabble in to an extent....it's just....bad tedious jokes man.....:stonk:

TL;DR For all that anime/otaku content has grown in popularity outside of Asia over the last decade it's still seen as kind of one big ironic (bad) joke by many hence the existence of these ads.

Kale fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 7, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gonna have 2 concurrent banners that are essentially just Bronya in about a week. I love all the little chibi Bronya's on the Silver Wolf (Aka Gamer BROnya) Banner art

Kale
May 14, 2010

Excelzior posted:

isn't it Jing Yuan in a week? for 3 weeks, and THEN Silver Wolf?

Right for some reason it feels like 1.0 ends this week but its the same cycle as Genshin. Its Genshin that should be having the next patch stream Friday and then Honkai Star Rail gets its first of those in a couple weeks after that I figure.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Going back to some of the character relationship stuff being discussed earlier it is kind of funny that what styles itself the Shipping wiki appears to be all Mihoyo content on the trending tab and lists Kiana and Mei as a "God Couple" which is technically accurate but lol at such a specific category existing. Again Shipping Wiki not specifically Mihoyo Shipping Wiki. :lol:

Kale
May 14, 2010

I had kind of expected Sim World 6 to end with Cocolia going into her Mother of Deception form instead of just a soft-enrage style version of her regular fight. I think re-purposed and harder versions of fights with new mechanics like FFXIV does with some of it's bosses is exactly what one of my buddies wanted to see out of this game and probably Genshin too. Like I remember Genshin once had a totally different much more aggressive version of the Oceanid fight with different lines and attack phases, but they never seemed to really do anything particularly like that again.

Kind of not surprising that the hardest challenge bosses so far in this game are elite monsters, followed by mechs, followed by the handsome blond dude, followed by a powerful humanoid sized robot, and then at the very apex, the dangerous women. I mean that's how power tiers generally seem to work out in Honkai Impact 3rd (except for Kevin maybe), so it's very typical Mihoyo. Curious to see if this pattern follows into whatever the next phase of things are or not though.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-MFg_0wY4U

Jing Yuan gets his own animated trailer apparently and Jing Liu shows up in it. Looks like Jing Liu was his master way back when but was apparently cursed somehow and he had to take her out, but if she's a playable character she's obviously going to somehow reappear in the story, probably as a boss first I imagine,.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Looks like Jing Liu is voiced by veteran seiyuu Houko Kuwashima in Japanese btw. Solid casting choice, been in and around the sci-fi anime scene for literal decades.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lot of character kit leaks today

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/LeeandLie/status/1656399840551800833?cxt=HHwWgsDU4aC42_wtAAAA

Apparently the English voice for Jingliu is the pretty popular Vtuber/anime voice actress Amanda Lee as per her own claim.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I think Jingliu's going to be the character/design that just does it for me in the first batch. There's something about petite build contrasting with a lethal, serious, elegant and iron-willed deadly warrior demeanor that hits that particular spot and I was getting that vibe before from leaked splash art and even more after that trailer yesterday. Her glower power is pretty on point as well. :lol:

Eimi posted:

Welcome to Hoyoverse. The world is canonically saved in Honkai Impact because Kiana is gay as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1sd5CzR504

Top 10 Anime Disaster Lesbian Goddess Power Battles

Kale fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 11, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I read that comic someone linked; was Welt only in that comic? It appears to take place before Honkai 3rd since Himeko is a college student, but Welt leaves their universe at the end so I'm not sure how he'd be present in the game (unless it's a different version of Welt).

Also, the "power levels" at play here confuse me. Welt is a Herrscher, which is basically like a god? Or maybe the Trailblazer and others on the Express are of a similar level due to things being on a universal scale?

Edit: I feel like it's harder to come by artifact XP in this than in Genshin. Maybe it will feel different once I start feeling more comfortable turning 3*s into XP (which should be soon-ish), since that's where I get most in Genshin. It's reached a point where I need to focus on artifacts to make my party stronger.

Herrschrr's are kind of like gods/dominants of a concept or element yeah. One of them alone is enough to essentially end the human race and possibly the planet and kind of treated like it's own natural disaster whenever one shows up in a story and that immediately requires top priority to handle. One alone soloed the continent of Australia before being taken out in the previous era of Honkai Impact 3rd, another which is basically the ultimate virus took out most of what remained of humanity at the time by both infecting humans in the last shelter and hacking into and launching a bunch of nukes at the remaining human cities. In the current era at one point Raiden Mei loses her poo poo after seeing Kiana get badly injured and despite having no real combat experience at the time yet besides some kendo lessons, it takes essentially everything Himeko and her unit has to just hold her off and the only thing that kind of saves the city and everyone there is Kiana waking up and asking her get a grip and stop the rampage. After that Mei considers her powers so dangerous she asks to have a device implanted in her that will stop her heart if her Honkai levels cross a certain awakening threshold again. Eventually the main characters learn to work side by side with and tame their dormant Herrscher since most of the time they're just retaliating against human aggression and perhaps not entirely malevolent as evidenced by the existence of characters like Elysia.

A couple other examples of Herscherr power scaling is that during the 2nd eruption one that was essentially just a little girl before awakening takes humanity to the brink once more and even starts tossing chunks of moon rock at the surface and is only finally "beaten" by a gently caress ton of Honkai bombs launched at her position.
There tends to be a pattern involving Herscherr's where they're either beaten or tamed, but it comes at a cost so heavy that it tends to be a pyrrhic victory at best.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrLEhla4S-Q
Actual loving achievement in a video game. When i first saw this achievement screecapped somewhere I figured it had to be a photoshop but nope. And there's people that insist that Mihoyo is steering away from any sort of otaku kink sex appeal stuff in their games. :lol:

Eimi posted:

In particular a detail I liked is that in the previous era humanity won every single battle, but lost the war. Humanity defeated every herrscher, but was still wiped out aside from the handful of people who had to sleep in cryopods while the surface of the Earth was made livable again over the next 50,000 years.

Yeah cause despite it all the Herrscher of the Finality was unbeatable until 50K years later when Kiana came along and apparently tamed/became it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think anyone worth listening to has said anything like this..Is this a reddit thing or something...?

I'd label it as kind of a shitpost at this point cause it just plain doesnt check out under any sort of test. I think it goes back to when the CCP forced them to change some Mondstadt character designs in Genshin after some citizens group filed a complaint resulting in Mona and Rosaria getting their costumes altered and Jean and Amber getting cleavage covered up and there was this idea out there that it would severely impact how Mihoyo handled character designs from now on. This is of course before various characters like Yelan, Shinobu, Dehya, Candace Nilou etc came out mind you and its news to me regarding Honkai Star Rail and even some of Honkai Impact 3rds recent designs.

Ultimately they just moved their headquarters to Singapore, complied in China and just made their original costumes alternates for the global version in a utilitarian sort of approach. Generally the way it actually works is that these games like Honkai/Genshin/Azur Lane etc. come up with a design or concept for global and then work backwards from there if forced by the CCP to comply with a regulation and that becomes the China version, not the other way around, but that doesn't make for a good all encompassing censorship panic narrative.

So far it doesn't seem like the CCP is on Star Rails rear end at all yet if they ever will be. It seems like some group has to complain first and then they can go "hey see look we're doing stuff" like once or twice and then they stop giving a poo poo about some gacha game corrupting the youth or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

it did visibly impact a couple character designs going forward. not in major ways but dehya and shenhe received some mild adjustments.

Right I forgot about the belly button thing that would probably be difficult to render in model form anyway.