Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I'm hoping I can get into this, but I haven't been much for turn based RPGs for a few years. Honkai has me willing to give it a shot though.
(And also I somehow wound up hyperfocused on Sonic Robo Blast 2 Persona for a few days last week.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Clarste posted:

Each area has a few higher level enemies guarding big treasure boxes. I think you're meant to come back for them later, but that's a pain so I try to just kill them ASAP. After you get to the next planet you can farm EXP items and from that point on there's not much reason not to have everyone at max level for your Trailblazer rank at all times.

I'm sort of doing the opposite, personally. One of my big problems I usually have with gacha RPGs is overlevelling for side stuff, and then being incredibly bored with how absurdly easy the main story is. But it occurred to me with this one: I can just overlevel a second party and keep my story party at levels that seem reasonable for that! In this game's case, there's even 3/4 of a full party that they gave out for free that works and is the people running around in the story! It's perfect! Aside from that currently Natasha is no substitute for March for difficult content, holy poo poo shields are better than healing so far.

Also, who else is incredibly annoyed that they changed the pronunciation of Seele's name from "Say-lay" to "Zee-la?"
It's terrible. (I'm still totally going to pull for her. Especially since I got Bronya!)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kale posted:

:words: about Honkai Impact

Always great to see this sort of thing all together like this, plus there was some stuff I didn't know about Bronya's backstory, but you missed a couple things that might be relevant.

1. Maybe you were saving this for Welt, but Himeko and Welt were somewhat close when Himeko was in college and he was her professor. Then he severed to try to keep her from getting involved in Honkai stuff. Then she did anyway, Final Lesson happened, and he partially blames himself. Given that, unlike probably all the other expies, Welt actually IS the Welt from Honkai dimension hopping, this seems relevant. (I only know about this because I got linked to the Alien Space manga as a link between the two games somewhere. Not that much of a link, but for that guy who wanted to see some more Post-Honkai stuff, there's a bit of it.) (Also if you could do Welt next, I do not know much of his deal. He seems like someone with a lot of stuff in side materials I haven't read, not much presence in the main game.)

2. As Absum mentioned, you got the wrong Bronya. Silver Wolf is clearly based on Haxxor Bunny. She's sort of Cyberpunk Bronya, with a completely different personality. She comes from a world with only one city with everything outside walled off, where she worked at Raven/Natasha's restaurant and also did Cyberpunk Crimes. Eventually she got some Multiverse Stuff hinted at her while she was trying to leave the city, left, found jack loving poo poo, and somehow wound up dimension hopping into the Captainverse Hyperion. She considered herself something of a free agent there, and between that and there ALREADY being a Bronya in the Star Rail universe and just the story economy of there apparently being TWO dimension hopping cyberpunk Bronyas, it is very possible that Silver Wolf is literally Haxxor Bunny. Then again, I doubt they're ever gonna make that relevant besides <Alludes to backstory> <Honkai Impact Players know what she's talking about, Star Rail players get the general idea>, but at least as far as listing connections that seems worth pointing out.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Splash Attack posted:

how many universes does honkai impact have

Theoretically? Infinite.
That might matter at all to anything, and even then only to the game they're in besides "oooooh those two are gonna get along eventually because they're gay in another universe" or "They alluded to their backstory. I either already know it, want to know more, or know enough?" Not nearly as many.

-Main Honkai Impact 3rd. This is where most of the crossovery characters are most known from, and also where a lot of multiverse stuff is. Also there is a time loop.
--A Post Honkai Odyssey, or APHO: The future of Honkai 3rd. Currently canon but as "The future" that could change. Welt is from here directly, Bronya's design is mostly copied from here. Carole was supposed to be from here before she got ousted as the MC for Trailblazer. (Probably a good decision but as a Carole fan I will always be slightly salty about it.) Presumably if Seele ever shows up here, she will look like in Star Rail
--"The Captainverse" / "Captain's Bizarre Adventure": Actually multiple universes, this is the name for the ongoing storyline shared between most of the limited time events, linked by a dimension hopping Captain and his slowly accumulating crew of AU characters. Basically no world is ever seen twice, so probably none of them will ever matter to anything outside of their event besides maybe showing up in another event. Or in Haxxor Bunny's case, MAYBE Star Rail, but that's very :tinfoil:

-Genshin Impact: You probably know this one. Lots of theories about lore links but nothing concrete.

-Star Rail: The game in this thread.

-Houkai Impact 2 / Gun Gal Z: Previous version of Honkai Impact, seems to have followed a similar but different story, originator for a lot of character designs, not brought up much anymore. Possibly swept under the rug a bit for quite a bit of "A bunch of Otaku men making an edgy game" stuff, current canonicity even as an AU or previous loop in Honkai 3rd is questionable. Also mostly untranslated, information online is scarce. Probably for the best but I can't help but be morbidly curious about previous versions of the story. Had a Bad End. Possibly worth noting that being more under the radar, they were able to be more explicit about things. Seele may call Bronya "onee-chan" and they may be from the same universe, but in Honkai 3rd their relationship seems far from "sisterly," and in Houkai 2nd it is, from what I've heard, definitely not "sisterly." (They gay)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 28, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Still really enjoying this, but man that grind to Trailblazer Level 24 coming when it did was annoying. Also, it would have been great to have Trial Seele for the last dungeon on Jarilo or something. Since her plus the main trio makes a full "story" party.

As for the ending of that planet. . .
Listen, I get it. Coming into a very important historical moment, it makes practical sense not to reveal things like "the Eternal Frost was caused by the first Guardian using the Stellaron to stop the legion, the guardians have known this for centuries, and the last one went completely nuts" and risk destabilizing the entire civilization, especially when someone you know is good or even you is in charge. I'll even grant that, while I disagree in principle, it's a hell of a lot easier to stand on principle when you're not going to have to stay and live with the consequences. And of course they can't let you just choose the status quo for the whole planet if they're gonna use it again for events.

But couldn't there have at least been some kind of "I strongly disagree with your decision, but I don't live on this planet so it's not mine to make" option? It feels almost as lovely having no option for the Trailblazer to not be fine with it as it does that it really doesn't seem like something Seele and Bronya would come up with. Like, drag Sampo into that scene or have it be Cocolia's last words or something. It's a lot easier to see them making the pragmatic choice than it is to see them coming up with it in the first place. (But maybe I'm biased because it did not occur to me to lie until Seele brought it up, I thought the original "what should we tell people?" question was of the "will they even believe me?" type, not the "the truth can be dangerous here" type.)
But yeah. There should be at least an "I disagree, but as an alien who is leaving it shouldn't be up to me" option. Also the wrap up felt long, but maybe that's just because my cat was bugging me to quit for the night the whole time.
Also the lance is not as cool as the baseball bat, even if that form is probably more useful.

But those are nitpicks. Game is good. English Sampo is a highlight. He should have joined the crew instead of whatever he has going on instead.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I may have gotten two 5 stars so far in Star Rail, and they may be Bronya and Himeko which are easily two of the four I want most, but over in Genshin I'm at my second soft pity in a row and lost 50/50 last time, and in Honkai Impact I was like three drops away from hard pity for the last thing I pulled for and actually got. (It was Mei's new sword)
(I also did not get the new Kiana)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kale posted:

I'd only really have Welt to cover anyway of the currently present characters. He's a pretty cool interesting character too.

You forgot Silver Wolf / Haxxor Bunny, Shushang, there's apparently an Otto twin coming up, and I'm pretty sure Kafka looks like Eden with her hair tied. (And if so, I would like Eden much more with this English voice acting.) Also Welt in particular feels, even in main game HI3, like he has kind of a lot of "that's probably interesting but I'm not going to track down and read a whole comic for it" going on. (Or maybe it's just that I like his design and his stigma art (and now his fight in Alien Space) but he never does anything in the HI3 game. Here's hoping we get to see him do stuff here.)

But if you don't think it's worth it that's fine. Hoyo is pretty good about keeping that sort of thing's relevance and exploration at a place where you don't really need the extra info. It's not important, it will probably never be important, and if it is they will tell you the important part. But it is fun.

Also Bronya and Seele are pretty explicitly gay. I'm not sure how canon it is but Veliona has a Seele body pillow in her mind palace sometimes. Bronya can tell the difference between Seele and Veliona and has been able to since the orphanage, long before being told about her. After Veliona having some initial jealousy issues they seem to get along now. Veliona's actual in-universe name is "Seele" or "Other Seele," chosen because when asked to name her Seele was like "well you're me, right? You deserve the name just as much as me." I'm not sure where the name "Veliona" comes from, but it's on Stygian Nymph so . . .

And wait I'm pretty sure Bronya has normal flesh legs, they just don't really work until after she becomes a Herrscher?

Also the crazy rear end Genshin lore speculation with references to Gnosticism and all sorts of mythological and historical references and stuff is the best. :allears:

Captain France fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 30, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MechaX posted:

I started playing this game yesterday despite knowing nothing about Honkai and only playing Genshin for an hour

I have no loving clue what is going on with this story lore, and I haven’t gotten any good pulls yet (I did get some merchant dude, a woman with a literal electric guitar, and Natasha), but I’m having fun so far at least

Not So Fast posted:

installed this today and I'm having fun so far, haven't played any of the Honkai / Genshin games though so I'm a bit lost on the setting and all the talk about Aeons and Antimatter Legions... But I'm guessing I'm supposed to be given the amnesiac MC

I will probably just F2P this, but how likely am I to get enough Special Passes to get a 5* before the Seele banner runs out? My experience with most gacha games is that you can get a 5* every month or so but starting on launch might help?

FWIW the only way Honkai or Genshin would help you understand most of this game's lore is as "Maybe they'll explain that later, maybe they won't, anyways moving on" practice. They share a multiverse if Multiverse Stuff ever shows up, which, as a scifi thing it might but I'm confident it'd be explained well enough, Welt's straight up from Honkai but aside from "he feels guilty about his world's Himiko" he's mostly the "old mentor totally had his own adventures before" trope, and besides that there's maybe just some emotional cues / maybe subversions from reused designs. Like how I trust Bronya and Seele implicitly, called Cocolia from the moment I saw her name, and I haven't met the guy with Otto's design yet but if he isn't a manipulative piece of poo poo I will be incredibly surprised. Or how Alhaitham Genshin was supposed to be suspicious a while but it completely fell flat for me because his Honkai equivalent is basically a saint. And then you probably got a lot of that anyways just from regular media savvy, and even if not some of that is just spoiling the surprise or undercutting the tension.

Also Re: wanting Genshin Lore connections:
Hell yes we're in space let's visit a planet with a World Tree that may or may not be inside out.

Edit: Like don't get me wrong I think the connections are fun and love noticing / reading about them. But they're not actually important.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 1, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing these daily missions are still random per account (like with Genshin)? I've gotten a series of (I think) 3 with this guy submitting his goofy papers to a university, and now I'm doing a series of trying to help some researcher who is bad at communicating.

I hope they stay like this and don't start doing "kill some mobs" like in Genshin.

There's got to be a limited amount though, right? Killing some mobs is way better than a repeat narrative mission.

I hope there are "just kill some mobs," but they do not turn up until you run out of unique dailies available. That feels like a good compromise between "narrative dailies are way better the first time" and "narrative dailies suck the second time, let alone the second dozenth time."

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Holy poo poo.
Doing the Exp Calyx, and Himeko and Herta just "YOU WON'T GET AWAY" "Time to TWIRL" looped through five rounds of enemies in a row with nobody getting an actual turn.

loving crazy.

Also, I like that they apparently recorded "Time to TWIRL" twice and kept both. Once as a normal JRPG attack shout, once as though the fact that you were unaware that it is time to twirl is the single most annoying thing that has ever happened in the history of the universe.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

March 7 using a bow, having ice powers and being super hyper kinda makes me think she could be Aeon of Human Ego/Elysia here

Maybe it's just because I don't want it to be true because I like March and hate Elysia, but isn't Elysia only cryo because Honkai has no Hydro? At least from her boss fight I remember manta rays and a trident and I think waves and a whale? I remember thinking "wow, that's just like Kokomi Genshin Impact but way cooler."

I mean Star Rail also doesn't have Hydro, but March's ice is, you know, ice themed.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Eimi posted:

It's a magical encyclopedia possessing a robot body. It also looks like Luocha. So I expect it to cause problems on purpose sometime in the future.

Actually thinking about it, Void Archives looks like Luocha because Luocha looks like Otto, the only person VA ever considered a friend, to the extent that when they decided to start walking around as a person they decided to look like Otto. That kinda gives VA + Luocha some of that same "You were important to me in my universe and then you died and I feel like it was partially my fault" relationship that Welt + Himeko secretly have, right?

So it's possible that how much VA causes problems on purpose is directly related to how much Luocha does.

(Also I just remembered that in VA's boss fight in APHO, one of their forms was just called "My Friend" :smith: )

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I read that comic someone linked; was Welt only in that comic? It appears to take place before Honkai 3rd since Himeko is a college student, but Welt leaves their universe at the end so I'm not sure how he'd be present in the game (unless it's a different version of Welt).

Also, the "power levels" at play here confuse me. Welt is a Herrscher, which is basically like a god? Or maybe the Trailblazer and others on the Express are of a similar level due to things being on a universal scale?

Edit: I feel like it's harder to come by artifact XP in this than in Genshin. Maybe it will feel different once I start feeling more comfortable turning 3*s into XP (which should be soon-ish), since that's where I get most in Genshin. It's reached a point where I need to focus on artifacts to make my party stronger.

The comic flashes back and forth between the past and like 10 years after Honkai Impact, Welt is somewhat important to the main game. I mean, he's in a similar "badass old mentor" role as in Star Rail, but that makes him like the third most important man.

Welt was a Herrscher, which comes with godlike powers, but there was some special technobabble stuff going on with Reason that allowed it to be passed along, Welt was the second and he passed it to Bronya. He might still have some of it's power, it's unclear, but he also has a magic scifi artifact with gravity powers that explains what we see from him in Star Rail pretty well too. (Actually I wonder if him mentoring a Bronya will ever have any relevance with the two separate Bronyas we have running around.)

Still, he is probably nowhere near Herrscher level now.
(Personally I'd headcanon him a bit below the other Trailblazers in terms of raw power, but that's mostly because I enjoy the "largely depowered but makes up for it with experience" trope. He's been dealing with scifi bullshit for like 50 years at least!)

--edit

Sam Sanskrit posted:

This is a weirdly hard topic to research (search engines are useless these days and fandom wikis are a plague) but no I’m pretty sure that comic is post Honkai 3rd impact. I am just gonna start playing that drat thing so I can tell what is going on. Welt is definitely around for the main events of 3rd impact in any case.

At least for Star Rail, you really don't need to. Welt and probably Void Archives eventually are pretty much the only links bigger than "I recognize that person kind of" without getting pretty :tinfoil:

That said, from around the point where the plot picks up you don't need to (and frequently cannot) use gacha characters for the main story, most of the daily grind stuff can be clicked through, and if you like melodramatic anime scifi that's basically magic with technobabble and gets up it's own rear end with philosophy and convolution sometimes, and also magic scifi lesbians, I'd say it's a very good one of those. There is significantly more "I feel like that was probably explained somewhere and I'm missing specifics" than Star Rail, though, if that's an issue for you. (It's slop, but it's good slop and I loving love it.) :getin:
--edit2
Oh also as long as I'm giving scifi anime slop warnings for HI3, the horniness levels start at "Our protagonist is 17, is introduced rear end first, and wears a skin tight outfit with a boob window, goes up a little from there, settles down to Genshin/Star Rail levels about when the plot picks up, and then near the end starts giving every newly introduced adult woman giant anime boobs. So that's another "your tolerance / taste may vary" thing.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 11, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Also, I noticed that rather than "Musketeer", the Japanese translation uses the English word "Gunman" for the cowboy set-- a better English translation than the English version. So were the Japanese team given more context than the English team, or did they just get lucky? Unclear.

It's localization. "Musketeer" sounds more flavorful to English speakers, while English-In-Japanese is it's own flavor in Japanese.
Like how in Honkai Impact', Haxxor Bunny is "Hacker Bunny" in English in the Japanese dub.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

drat, Hook is cold. (Hook character quest) I can't imagine selling my childhood teddy bear to have his eyes ripped out now as a grown man, much less when I was still a child. Feel bad for that teddy.

Ah, I imagined that the IDs would always have the same number of digits, that's interesting.

Seriously. I was expecting an option to buy it myself, and was disappointed there wasn't one.
They should add another quest to that line where you buy Jun-Jun back without his eyes, get some shiny buttons sewn on, and give Hook Cyborg Jun-Jun.

Also it sucks how none of these games with major power fantasy elements ever let you indulge the "I have money so I can be as generous as I want" fantasy.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean, Kiana is 17 and is introduced rear end first wearing a skin tight bodysuit with cleavage, Mei starts off wearing Battle Lingerie, Theresa and Bronya have multiple early battlesuits that are also skin tight bodysuits clearly intended to be sexy while they have child bodies, like half of Seele's outfits come with constant panty shots with all of her attacks, Ai-Chan says "You can't see their panties no matter how hard you try" on the character preview screen, and after it calms down a bit it later decides that nearly every grown woman needs giant gravity defying breasts, Timido is supposed to be shy and is wearing a ridiculous sexy leotard, and Aponia makes Rosaria look like an actual non-stripper nun by comparison. I wouldn't think "horny niche otaku game is horny" would reflect poorly on their later more mainstream stuff, but I could see that stuff being very off putting if you don't have a lot of tolerance for horny anime stuff, and it certainly makes the game harder to recommend to women I know.
(Also wait wtf why do I have the early game stuff off the top of my head???)

Anyways, I'd say HI3 is less "relies on you having seen/played previous stuff" and more "relies on you having the ability to say 'yeah that makes sense, I don't need more detail' to follow along," especially since so much of the previous stuff is untranslated and even more niche than HI3. I'd also say the extra stuff is fine, better than Genshin's extra stuff besides exploration, but the story is definitely the highlight and with all the other gacha game elements being so unnecessary to it, you should definitely focus on the story first and decide if you care about the rest later.

Well that and APHO, APHO is loving awesome even if Kiana's Dad is a much better Dante Clone than Main Character is.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

haypliss posted:

They said Star Rail, no need to bust out the encyclopedia of HI's crimes.

They said HI3's stuff made Star Rail creepy to them.

Which, I mean, I get finding HI3 creepy enough that the bafflement on that is weird to me, I just don't think it really reflects much on their later more mainstream stuff than Star Rail.

Also I don't know why I had that off the top of my head when most of that ranges from guilty pleasure to eye roll for me, except that I remember seeing the opening cutscene on one of the concerts and going "wtf I forgot that was Kiana's intro."

In more on topic Star Rail stuff, is World 6 and difficulty 2 on older stuff a big difficulty jump for everyone else? Failed it again and again with level 60s, and wow you do not get a lot of points for failure.

Did not expect to hit Elysian Realm style "replaying a difficulty I've already cleared for the weekly points" so early. :negative:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

sheer timeline-wise like 80 but hes another case of 'weird aging fuckery'. hes physically like late 40s/early 50s i think?

Note that he at one point Dr. Manhattan'ed himself back together, so he could be physically any age he wants.

He chose to be teetering on the edge of being a silver fox. I think that's pretty cool.

Also Herta chose to be a child, and that's loving weird. Not even, like, in a problematic way, just on a "you clearly expect people to take you and your career seriously, why would you choose to look like a child???" level.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I'm pretty sure there's references to alien races in some of the lore texts in game I stopped reading by the time I finished the space station. In addition to the Antimatter Legion arguably counting and the Sky People from HI3 probably being around SOMEWHERE.

Also I'm a chapter behind on HI3 but I just started the new event. First of all, god I hope Star Rail doesn't go the same direction as HI3 and to a lesser extent Genshin with events that are just minigames that aren't as good as the core game.

Second, I question the wisdom of dropping an event that seems to involve like half of the event-specific, can no longer play their story stuff, Captainverse cast. Then again, it's Haxxor Bunny heavy and Silver Wolf is basically the same character. . .

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Eimi posted:

I'm betting Silver Wolf is literally the same character since hopping universes is something she does.

I mean, it's either that, or there's two dimension hopping cyberpunk Bronyas, or two Bronyas from the Star Rail universe.

I'm hoping for "literally the same person" personally, but either way I'm happy to have basically a Haxxor Bunny whose optimal play isn't "weapon, charge attack, never take the field again because of how her QTE works."

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

NeonPunk posted:

I haven't played HI3, only browsed the lore wiki and a bit of osmosis from the forums, but if there is a connection between HI3 and Star rail, then doesn't that mean that void archive is the aeon Nanook? There isn't anything about hopping through dimensions that two people traveling through would end up at the same place or time. Nanook is responsible for creating and planting stellaron across Star rail and he created the antimatter legions, all which kinda sounds lot like what void archive did in Hi3. Nanook looks awfully lot like him too, just with darker skin as well.

Not confirmed, but this is my personal :tinfoil: theory about whatever happened to that guy, yeah. Still, looking forward to Welt meeting Luocha.

Also to more of the main story in general.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

if you just look at it in order it makes more sense

honkai impact has a bronya
theres an event with a universe hopping alternate version of her
star rail has a different bronya like it has a different himeko, sushang, etc
the same universe hopping alternate version is here

And also someone in the Star Rail universe has the same "look across the multiverse" tech as Schicksal, and like Otto in the Genshin Impact "crossover" event, decided to use it as inspiration for a video game.

Honestly I'd say this more confirms "yes, Silver Wolf is based on Haxxor Bunny" than "Silver Wolf IS Haxxor Bunny," and is more Easter Egg than Lore, but it doesn't really deconfirm it, and I feel like "another somewhat minor Honkai Impact character went to Star Rail" feels more likely to me than "there are TWO dimension hopping cyberpunk Bronyas"

Basic summary for non-HI3 players:

Bronie was raised in a walled cyberpunk city, first by a crime syndicate or something and then her universe's Natasha, and always wanted to leave. After some adventures involving a cyber ninja (also a Yae Miko/Sakura, but that's probably not relevant), she made it out, only to find . . .

. . .nothing.
There is nothing beyond the walls of Arc City, it's a tiny little bubble universe. The ninja vaguely explained that and that there was a multiverse, and then hosed off.

Later, Bronie winds up just showing up on the Multiverse Event Characters Ship, with no explanation of how she did it and no actually loyalty to them. She's since shown up in a few events, including the current one where her presence has yet to be explained.

Or, in character stuff summary, assuming it's the same character:
She hates walls, she comes from a city even more isolated than Belobog, she's somewhat close with a Natasha, and she is both smart as gently caress and suspicious as hell. She has been to multiple universes.

(Including one with magical girls she came to with her friend / ally Irene Adler. Yes from Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes is not real even in Irene's world, but he's based on a combination of Arthur Conan Doyle and an immortal chinese super soldier martial arts master lesbian. Also involved in this event are a magical girl version of Honkai's Nahida equivalent, the ninja from earlier in Bronie's story, and a grimdark version of Honkai's comic relief Vodka Twins, who is the red twin with the blue twin being her blood or something I don't remember details. This is unimportant, I simply enjoy summaries of HI3 stuff that lean into how gloriously stupid and convoluted it can get.)

And actually the parallel of there being nothing outside of both Arc City and Belobog did not occur to me until now.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

JT Jag posted:

So, I've sorted out a ride or die team of 6 primary characters

Gepard
FireMC
Jing Yuan
Seele
Natasha (E6!)
Tingyun

In your opinions, what two or three five-stars would be the best fit for that? Bronya seems obvious. Need another healer for sure, be it Bailu if I pull her or Luocha. I feel like the ideal is to have like 10 ride or die max level characters that have good coverage. Welt would be good because I literally don't have any nihility characters or imaginary characters (obviously), and I have a near-perfect 5-star relic waiting for him. Blade would help cover wind damage. Any options I'm missing?

Silver Wolf is really good. Even besides her weakness creation gimmick working well with Seele and/or any time you have two of the same element on a team (Jing Yuan and Tingyun, for example,) she also does other strong debuffs, pretty good damage, pretty good break, and her technique can start battles with effectively one big weakness hit on everything whether it's weak to Quantum or not.

Plus she's cool.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Also Silver Wolf hacked a space station, put up graffiti, tried to steal a priceless artifact, and worst of all went off to hack the Honkai Impact 3rd servers just in her quest. In a side YouTube video where an owl named Owlbert previews characters, she hacked her telepresence into the show, hacked "a lot of zeroes" into his bank account, and then publicly released his search history.

So. Like. Almost none that is as serious as the Legion thing I somehow forgot about, but that's a lot of crime.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So, here's an idea.
People are always wanting HI3 crossover characters and expies because of the multiverse thing, myself included.*

But HI3 is the only one that actually addresses the multiverse so why not the other way around? Send some Captainverse characters to the space station like a decade ago for a filler adventure with Herta! Send them to Teyvat for either some ancient history or foreshadowing or a filler adventure with Fischl nobody else believes! Drop some voidrangers or voidwolves next time we hit the Sea Of Quanta! Give us a Honkai Serval with a backstory that can flesh out Cocolia a bit!

That'd be cool and the direct links would probably fit better.

*We don't know that Haxxor Bunny didn't live on Punklorde a while before becoming Silver Wolf, it'd make the gap between her age and apparent age even larger but that's my headcanon.

I look forward to seeing Void Archives and want Welt to react more to AU versions of people he knows.

Senti or Ai-Chan /\ showing up and leaning on the 4th wall on whether it's the same one or not would be fun.

Even without that we need more Senti expies. And Fu Hua. And Vill-V. And the other games would be a good place for playable Siegfried and a third Su and wait that's all of Honkai's cool dudes besides kinda Otto. (gently caress Kevin)

Lol this footnote is longer than the post.

Also I want a Star Rail Fischl and for HI3 Fischl to exist in story. With an accompanying Mona!

But yeah HI3 already does AUs it'd probably make more sense for the other games to have cameos in it than the other way around.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean there's a lot of details in side things, but I wouldn't call them particularly important. I played through the whole game without reading any of them and loved it.

(I later read Third Divine Key, Alien Space, and part of Second Eruption. They're also good!)

Also is it just me or just the dub or does Luocha not have a lot of Otto's mannerisms? He lacks the sense of arrogance and mild flamboyance that makes Otto so fun and likable moment to moment. Or maybe I'm remembering Otto wrong and throwing a bunch of extra Void Archives on him.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Walla posted:

Luka sounds cool. Is he going to show up on the standard banner? Or is the only opportunity to get him going to be on Kafka's? He sounds like someone I would like to play with eventually, but he's definitely not a priority for me.

Assuming it's like Genshin, 4 stars get added to the standard banner after their first limited is done.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Eimi posted:

She's a Honkai expy, though honestly not that different from her Honkai form. Both of them are connected to the raksha Otto/Luocha as well. Sushang was the daughter of one of Fu Hua's students. This student ended up dying, and Sushang blamed Hua for it. They fought, and Hua won, Sushang has to be healed by Abyss Flower thanks to Otto, where she in kept in stasis for 500 years before Otto thaws her out though she fights for him less for revenge but more because she owes him. Sushang is regardless a very carefree character, and while she can read in Honkai Impact, she can only read classical Chinese and has no idea about anything modern, so same kind of vibes.

What's important is her ult looks like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahV_LDBQC8&t=34s

Also important:
While she was apparently in some comics, in-game "normal cute girl soldier" Susannah went from faceless NPC to prominent NPC to playable primarily on the basis of being very gay around Sushang.

Tbh I never liked Sushang much but Susannah rules. (Even if it is weird that she's a DPS and her new outfit sucks.) Haven't spent much time with Star Rail Sushang, but just being in on the ground floor instead of mostly being in the last arc and contributing nothing to it but "now the B-Team is a trio too" (and some good Susannah stuff) has me liking her better already.

Well. That and her phoenix. (Not a chicken :colbert:)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Also the free characters are pretty good here. I used the story trio with a rotating 4th for pretty much the entire story so far and it went fine, and even outside of that:

Dan is a top tier DPS

Trailblazer's second class is pretty good at what they do.

March is a passable shielder/tank/crowd control, probably the weakest of the lot but still good.

And then for non-plot freebies:

Natasha is a good healer who cleanses debuffs later, and if you get her dupes she eventually does decent damage.

Quingque is either okay or the best versatile DPS depending on your rng tolerance. Either way she's a rare and useful Quantum type.

Asta is an excellent but subtle buffer, and also an incredible breaker, holy poo poo, she loving shreds fire weakness.

Serval is arguably a better group dps than the limited 5 star in her same element and class.

Herta might actually be the weakest, she's a pretty meh group dps in the same element as March. People have made her work, though.

Oh also you mostly level up with items. There's that too.

--Edit: 4 stars in general are much better than lower rarity stuff in some games. If the balance shapes up like Genshin a 4 star with max Eidolons (dupe bonuses) should keep up with a 5 star in most roles, with a minor exception for main carry dps. And also an exception for launch being good for happy little balance accidents.
(In Genshin, the slightly disputed best character is a launch 4 star support, and a girl who larped so hard she got actual magic is better than her element's god at one of her main roles. There's probably a couple of those waiting to be figured out here.)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 28, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

Should I be buying discounted rail/special rail passes with my starting embers, or is that a trap buy and I should be focusing on the exp items or enhancement items?

Edit: Also, how do I see where a character is a 4 or 5 star?

Nobody else answered this, but personally I'd say prioritize the passes every month, they're far less farmable than everything else.

After that, I suppose the exp items are probably the best deal since they take energy to farm, but personally I prefer to save mine for when I need one of the more specific items and don't have them.

Just remember that the passes refresh every month, so you should try to save enough for that!

For the other consolation prize shop, you should probably only buy characters and light cones, although I will admit to getting impatient on pulls and getting the occasional pass myself.

The most obvious way to tell if a character is a 4 star or a 5 star is their background on the character list, actually. 4 stars have purple, 5 stars have gold.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

what the heck are you talking about welt is just a guy with a cane who ride the train

Hey!
He's not just a guy with a cane who ride the train!
He's a guy with a cane who ride the train and has been through some loving poo poo.

What loving poo poo doesn't actually matter, even if some of it is really cool, but I do feel like it's important that he has been through some poo poo.

If it helps, imagine every description of previous Welt lore being read by Grandpa Simpson.

(Also, Welt, "not virtuous" is very light for "responsible for the deaths of more than half of mankind, alongside a laundry list of other stuff," and "some bad blood" is very light for "he nuked you." Actually I think I remember hearing about another Welt/Otto conflict where he nuked you, so he might have nuked you twice?)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

If someone nukes you twice and you're still standing, they're very bad at nuking people

Kind of, yes, but it was still very rude to say the least.

(Choosing to nuke someone who can survive a nuke is still being very bad at nuking people.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

padijun posted:

If people cared about his convoluted HI3 backstory they’d look it up. He’s a guy on a train to 99% of people for a reason

I just mean it's important that he's old and he has a convoluted backstory, what his convoluted backstory is doesn't actually matter in this game, I think. Hell, for pretty much the entirety of the actual game in HI3 what his convoluted backstory actually is didn't matter, all that's in side stuff, but "dude's been up to his eyeballs in weird scifi poo poo longer than the main characters have been alive" is a pretty important character trait, and it IS demonstrated in Star Rail itself. Although come to think of it, I think it's mostly in talking to people on the train dialogue and not big story cutscenes.

Still, there is a reason "I've been to multiple universes" wasn't a sudden reveal, for instance.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 3, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Maybe I'm just too big a fan of the whole "semi-retired old adventurer" trope or something. I feel like talking to Welt and Himiko on the train made it pretty clear that, basically, Welt has been around, seen some crazy poo poo.

Hell, just look at Luocha's quest.
"I knew him in a different universe," nobody is particularly incredulous or surprised, because "Welt has had way more adventures than we know about" is something known specifically within Star Rail, even among the main party.

One of the worst monsters in human history being described as "not virtuous" and attempting to nuke him being described as "some bad blood" makes it similarly clear that the specifics don't matter.

If stuff being there at all didn't matter, they just not brought it up. Hell, they'd probably have had a new Welt expy instead of literally Welt. Not Zhongli probably would have been more popular anyway. If the specifics mattered, they wouldn't have undersold them so incredibly.

Honestly one thing I'd like for them to do with Welt is make up an entire extra storyline of crazy backstory between HI3 and Star Rail, reference it more often than things that actually appeared in HI3, and then never actually show it to us in any medium. I think it would be funny.

Mind you I also do like hearing about the specifics outside of the game, in a "JFC how is there so much" way like someone explaining the plot of Kingdom Hearts, but maybe I'm weird like that.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Honkai Impact 3rd expected you to be somewhat familiar with the story of Gun Girls Z (Honkai Impact 2) before you started playing it <snip> :words: <snip>

I mean, maybe being familiar with GGZ might have helped some people a bit, but HI3 works just fine starting in media res with important things being filled in as it goes as long as you're willing to accept in media res, and I'm sure Star Rail works fine standalone as long as you're willing to accept that Welt has been through so much that any crazy poo poo that comes up about him or from him going forward is completely plausible. And even that's just Welt.

Also, 100% guaranteed to not be important to Star Rail, but having recently read one of the HI3 manga it's important to me that people know this bit:
Welt's anime that he's more proud of than all of his scifi stuff had a tie-in energy drink. Welt called it "the most ninja energy drink on the market."

Spoiled for HI3 because we seemed to be doing that at the start of the thread, and that seemed like a nice compromise between "some people like talking about this side of things and reading about it" (I certainly enjoyed the HI3 lore dumps in the Genshin thread--so much so that I eventually got into HI3!) and "some people cannot stand it."

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

An actual game-related question: I wanna try my best to make use out of Himeko, but;
a) Jing Yuan has TIAPD
b) Serval has Breakfast
c) Qingque has Geniuses' Repose
d) The only cones I have left then is MtWC and the 3*s
e) Not ever having to think about shuffling LCs around is more important to me than being fully optimized

Then who is the one who always lies what are my actual options? Wait for another recommended LC drop and have a duplicate (don't like that)? Stop using one of my erudition guys until I get a good 5*? Perish?

Breakfast is an Echo Of War drop / Forgotten Hall Shop thing, right? Could just get a second one and give it to Himeko instead of using it to Superimpose.

Also, and maybe it just seems more like this to me because I'm contributing to it, but I feel like the Honkai Impact Derail Derails are way worse than the Honkai Impact Derails. Although I have considered making an HI3 thread before abandoning the idea because I am way too lazy to be a proper OP, because as much as I enjoyed my HI3 exposure in the Genshin thread before playing, sticking to stuff that's also related to Genshin or Star Rail leaves a lot of HI3 talk without a place.

For instance, the new character is a sniper with Bayonetta dodge offsets, her normals are cool as gently caress, she can loving juggle things into the air and then airshot snipe them, but then they stapled an Idol gimmick to her and made her a support so there's no real reason for them to see much use! It's like half the characters in Genshin Impact but worse!

Also also it just occurred to me that it would be really cool if (Belobog) Bronya's technique was some sort of 1st person aim shot that did something once you get in, her rifle just feels really loving strong.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Shame to sideline my girl Serval, but if Himeko doesn't work out she'll be there.

True enough, but my main objection is sinking a massive amount of resources (and by extension time) into duplicate LCs.

Yeah that's understandable. I just got Luocha and leveled and traced him most of the way, and now I'm out of credits, and Natasha and Bailu were already sharing a Light Cone, and basically everyone but Silver Wolf and Himeko are sharing relics.

Musketeer for everyone! The same two or three sets worth of Musketeer! Memory of Chaos attempts take almost as long loving with gear as they do the actual fights!

--Edit
Thankfully I'm done pulling until Kafka, aside from a 1pull next time I really like the 4 stars, because Luocha came (At 78 pity) on what would have been my tenth in a row without a 4 star.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 4, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Forget True Body Herta, give us Multi Body Herta. Just, like, a whole bunch of puppets at once. Her ult is like a dozen Big Diamonds and a twirl.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

GateOfD posted:

i feel like i should pull for blade, because i somehow lucked into getting an entire set of wind gear that's all crit rate/critdam substats on each piece with matching crit rate or crit dam chestpiece as an option while trying to farm the other set

Dan is pretty good too. Especially with Eidolons if you lucked into those.
(I "lucked" into like eight.)

He breaks wind weakness well, does a lot of damage, gets himself a good number of speed buffs and an extra turn if you kill with his ult, and he even brings his own slow to help the team!

Best of all, aside from the Eidolons that are nice but probably not super necessary, you've already got Dan.

You've all already got Dan.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I feel like the big trick people are missing with Bronya is that you don't use her skill every turn.

If you think you can blitz the battle, use it at the start.

Otherwise, save it for a skill point surplus, ults, or "oh poo poo I need this other character's turn now."

Meanwhile, her basic attack does decent damage because it auto-crits, and since it advances her action forward she gets a decent amount of extra turns. Which gives her more skill point generation, damage, and flexibility when it IS time for her skill.

Her only problem for me is that we don't have a wind or quantum healer, and Silver Wolf has basically been on every team but the second MOC since I got her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
If it's like Genshin Impact, DPS units will occasionally be directly power crept, some new mechanic or support or even just understanding of the game might come out and both raise the power level and shuffle a lot around, and supports will be somewhere between "no total power creep but some niche stealing" and "lol they made Asta too strong and now that people have figured her out she's uncreepable." (Asta chosen semi-at-random. She and Qingque both give out some "someone's going to figure out how to take them from good to broken" vibes.)

If it's like Honkai Impact, there will be more power creep but honestly not that bad---that game has had five years of power creep and while everyone from the seemingly intended triple dps meta at the start of the game is dead, there's units from the second year that are still relevant on occasion. Even some of the units that HAVE been power crept come close enough to say gently caress it, I do just fine on ice stuff with Haxxor Bunny (Silver Wolf) instead of Sushang all the time. And actually aside from one character who was for a while THE support for all elements, everyone I can think of who got completely power crept instead of boxxed into a niche was farmable.

So I guess in that case, March, Dan, Asta, Herta, and Trailblazer should maybe watch out?

TL;DR roll for and use who you want, we can't quite predict power creep but even if it does happen, it's likely to be minor enough that sticking with the new #2 character for a role is fine.