Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is there any reason to jump into this right at launch if I’m mildly interested? Promotional launch pulls that’ll go away later or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’ve just started playing this, having a good time so far. It looks like StarRailStation is the Paimon.moe of this game in terms of wish tracking? Is there anything wrong with it/any other options?

Anno
May 10, 2017

A few days into playing this now and I’m generally impressed with the improvements over Genshin in certain areas. The proper nouns are often still kinda much but the moment to moment dialogue and character stuff is much improved. Weirdly the texting seems the best written of all? Whoever handles that writing has a good handle on things, there’s a lot of nice writing and knowing reference stuff.

Combat and character stuff is very cool too and feels like a slight step up character building wise from Genshin. It seems like there’s just a lot more characters now which I think is fun. I assume that means they’ll have to be more aggressive with powercreeping characters, but early on at least it seems like there are more pulls too?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

There are more pulls, but I think the pull to character ratio is a little in Genshin's favor just because they relentlessly churn out a new character for every banner here. You really need to find a way to decide filter out which cool characters you're okay with missing in this game, because imo they do a better job than Genshin of making most characters feel special in some way too. That can come in the form of power creep, which I do think will be a bigger problem with this game than Genshin, or in the form of designs, which are generally flashier or more interesting than Genshin's imo.

I’m fine with that personally just because I don’t really care if I collect ‘em all - I guess it’s probably bad for people who are more into that. Does it affect how they do reruns though? Or maybe there just hasn’t been enough time yet to have to address that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Is there a reason they gave him to everyone? I assumed he would just be a mid, kinda beginner 5* like maybe you’d find on the standard banner or something, but he seems quite powerful.

Also thematically just a fun character. Him just hucking rulers or whatever around for massive damage is hilarious.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’d pay like $3 for a pack of, idk, 50 extra one-liners for when Ratio throws his follow up attack.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Annath posted:

I ran my numbers but I dont really understand what they mean.

What I did notice is that I got my only 5* character on the... intro warp? Newbie warp? Anyway not a banner.

Is the pity count different per-warp type, or shared between them?

Because I'd be sad if rolling the 5* creepy child character screwed what little pity I'd accrued before understanding how the system worked.

The newbie warp, limited character warps, LC warps and the standard warp are all on different tracks. Limited characters and LCs share their pity between the two of each type available at the moment and roll over into future banners of the same type.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Just finished the big bad of the Jarilo and, man, that was a really solid and fun sci-fi romp with a proper rear end conclusion. Good boss fight with some great music and a couple cool new gameplay twists. 10/10 will continue trailblazing for a long time.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Speaking of Welt, I finally got my first non-newbie banner 5*, and it was him. At first I was a little annoyed I didn't get Sparkle since she seems like a very useful character to have around, but so long as I'm enjoying Dr. Ratio as my main damage dealer, Welt seems like a solid addition to the team - Welt keeps them slowed/debuffed (and some decent damage), Asta keeps me fast and buffed, Ratio murders fools and Natasha keeps everyone alive. It's a fun team.

Now I need to decide what to do with my guarantee next patch. The optimal play seems to be pull not-Raiden, but I also really want a better Abundance unit and the coffin guy looks super comfy to have around, which I value really highly.

edit: My luck, or lack of, has carried over from Genshin it would seem.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 23, 2024

Anno
May 10, 2017

I haven’t looked into him a ton because I just don’t vibe with his look the little I’ve seen. I’ll wait and try him out and see if that changes, though. He looks powerful mechanically.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Finally got past Jarilo and onto the Craftworld ship - it’s cool and really pretty. For some reason I really like the rubix-cube style puzzles.

Anno
May 10, 2017

My only 2 pulled 5*s right now are Welt and Yanqing and I’d love to have an E1 Welt instead. Welt’s great.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Robin’s ult is a 10/10 idea/execution and on paper she looks strong but man idk that I want her song playing every time lol. It’ll be hilarious when half your team is dead and you have one character on red HP while she’s just lost in the vibes, though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think it’s 20 at the start of 2.1 over a week and the remaining 10 (well, 1600 jade) on the anniversary date.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I haven't done much SU other than the quests I've received so far - what do people think of it? I really like the idea and so far it's cool to have additional build-enhancing/building powers. Choosing them is a bit clunky? Not too bad other than that, though.

Also seems like the kind of thing that needs to be (or at least really benefits from beings) expanded on pretty consistently. A cursory check seems like they have been?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Luocha has one of the more tempting sets of eidolons for my tastes as well. I'm coming in with ~100 tickets banked, 0 pity and a guarantee, so I'm going to pull him for sure. If I get lucky and snag it relatively early I might pull a bit more and see if I get extra lucky (I won't). idk I like having a couple long-term development prospects out there in these games. I don't tend to pull for new characters all the time so I'm often happy putting resources into those I already have if I really like them.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I know it's dumb but I probably prefer gacha mechanics to everything being smoothed out. Part of why I enjoy these games (and I've only played this and Genshin to be fair) is that I feel a lot of other games these days are generally too fast to progress through and have very little friction of any sort. Playing these games as basically Welkin/maybe battlepass only you have to make long term resource allocation plans. I like feeling like there's an at least slightly meaningful difference between spending 1500 resin between to farm new relics for character A or grind out parts to ascend/level up traces for character B. I guess you don't need gacha mechanics to do that but if it felt completely smoothed out I think it'd lose a bit of appeal, even if it's almost objectively better for society or whatever.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Eej posted:

The main issue with gacha mechanics especially with respect to Star Rail is that many characters don't feel feature complete until they have their signature lightcone. After that, most new characters get increasingly busted as you add more Eidolons to them. There's a dramatic disincentive to invest money into making your fav stronger because there is no content for you to blow up with all that power.

I'm still early in HSR but yeah, judging by Genshin I believe that for sure. I think it's weird that there aren't more incentives to push your characters. Though also that's probably good in the grand scheme of things?

idk I think the ideal outcome is that you're able to pass all the content in the game with a mid-ish level of investment and anything more than that is just because you want to do it faster/more efficiently or just see how high you can make numbers go for your favorite characters.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Y'all took my luck. For the second time now I got to 82 pulls before hitting Luocha. Along the way I got *three* OG Dan eidolons, now up to E5.

In good news I guess I didn't have Pela or (obv) Gallagher and I got them both to E2.

Anno
May 10, 2017

PatentPending posted:

Oh, OH! It has his face on it! I hadn't noticed. Thanks, that solves that one.

It's not the best system, but it's the one I have right now.

I threw on an S2 Quid Pro Quo I had I think from Echoes of War bosses. It’s annoying when everyone’s energy is really synced up so you don’t have targets, but otherwise it’s a good and noticeable energy bump for the rest of my party. I think you can buy it from the Forgotten Hall shop, too.

Idk if it’s better than Multiplication or not but so far it seems to work okay.

Anno
May 10, 2017

What equilibrium starts dropping 5* relics? I’m just about to TL36 right now and, while the relics I’ve received just from story stuff and sundry events aren’t awful, I’d like them to be better, but it feels somewhat wasteful to run caverns/SU when I’m only dropping 3/4*s.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Finished up the Luofu storyline and, much like Jarilo, really enjoyed it. I continue to be very impressed with the leap in storytelling from Genshin (and my expectations) to this. Yeah in a lot of ways it's just Sci-Fi Bullshit but I'm here for it, and actually have some feelings towards these characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Was hoping to pull Archeron now that I'm about to need two teams but the universe can't have that :negative: