Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just started playing this. Is it just me or does Belobog look like King Garon's castle from Fates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wait, am I supposed to be doing SU regularly? I'm still very early in the game. I just got to the Underworld of the first planet and met Natasha.

My only source of fire at the moment is Asta and March 7th is my only shield so I don't have a big variety in teams. I did pull Sushang and Welt along with a few underwhelming characters.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

GateOfD posted:

Bunch of stages in Memory of Chaos make me wish I had Jing yuan, but you won’t make me fall for the banner game.

I keep pulling for Jing Yuan and I keep getting light cones. It sucks.

So far I've pulled Welt, Serval, Sampo, Tingyun, and Arlan. I just unlocked Natasha so now I can start using Arlan.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

2 copies of Sampo today. What the gently caress.

I have almost a dozen 4 star light cones and only a couple of ideas who they belong to. Is there a list somewhere?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

haypliss posted:

I don't see a problem with Erudition unless negative reputation of Herta/Qingque are being assigned to the whole class. Current content definitely gives plenty for Himiko and the electro characters to be useful in.

What's wrong with Qingque? I just got her but she seems fun.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It was just this morning I learned the Golden Calyx wasn't replaced by the Crimson. I was struggling to level my characters up to 40, but now I can grind it out and have everyone on par in a day or two. Pretty good.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Call me what you want but I went from having 2 characters at level 40 up to 9 just today alone, simply by farming Calyx. I only log on about once a day usually so being able to spend 5 minutes blowing my energy on Calyx is more useful than just aimlessly wandering around the space station and ice planet clearing mobs for no real benefit.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I have flameblazer. And now I'm at EQ 2, which means I need to grind more levels.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've had Tingyun forever but I never use her. I don't really use support characters except for March. I also haven't really done SU or memories so maybe they're more important there.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've given up on Jing Yuan, but at least I got Tingyun, 3 Sampo, 3 Sushang and several good light cones. I even managed to superimpose a few 4 star cones.

Someone has a level 60 Seele for use so I always use her to grind out Calyx. I wouldn't mind having her, but I have 2 very strong Hunt characters already and Quinque is good and fun for Quantum.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

haypliss posted:

2 from Standard banner, 1 from LC banner. I don't suppose anybody actually raise him yet though.

Mine is level 40, just like everyone else I have. Arlan is OK but basically requires a healer to be effective thanks to his skill. I find Serval just does his job better in most cases, and I also have Tingyun.

I also have Dan Heng and Sushang who are much better at single target dps and don't harm themselves in the process.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

I've really wanted to try him and he's of course the only 4 star I don't have. I took the first few weeks very slowly so I missed him in the shop.

Luckily, I've learned the way of Qingque.

Quinque is really effective on a team with Herta. You can waste your points getting Quinque up to blast everything and let Herta follow up. March helps too, as long as things are vulnerable to ice.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Took a second look at Arlan and he absolutely slaps in a team with Herta, Quinque and Natasha.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ibblebibble posted:

All I got were some lousy 3* LCs, not even a 4*.

Same, but I have several of them max superimposed. My 4 star Woof! pales a bit compared to my 3 star LC that just gives a flat 40% to damage without any conditions.

GateOfD posted:

Arlan's use hp to do damage is just underwealming, and if you want that, just wait for blade for the real fun drain hp kit

True, but I'm not allowing myself to spend any money on this game and hoarding jade and tickets is less fun to me than spinning the roulette.

I've got 6 3 star LCs at max SI, and a handful of 4 stars at 2 or 3. I've also got 4 characters at E1 or above, not counting Trailblazer.

I know there are more optimal loadouts, but I'm having fun with the RNG.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

JT Jag posted:

I got two copies of this and yeah, it's kinda a bummer, but I wouldn't go so far as to say other Destruction characters don't want it at all. It's a flat attack bonus that matches the 4-star cones, and a heal both on kill and on hit, and even without Clara if you place the Destruction character next to your tank cleave attacks will ensure it triggers plenty.

Wait, positioning matters in your team composition? How so?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

They're both good, it more depends on what LCs you have for them. I prefer Sampo because at E1 he gets 5 hits on Bounce and can charge his Ultimate extremely fast. Dan hits a bit harder though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That Kafka fight was a bitch. I managed it with Fireblazer, March, Dan Heng and Sampo and even then it was close.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Everything is approaching level 50 now and I'm starting to actually narrow down who I want to use.

My picks at the moment:

Blazer
March 7
Dan Heng
Quinque
Welt Yang
Asta
Sampo
Natasha
Serval

On the bench:

Tingyun
Herta
Arvan
Sushang

I'm wondering if I should cut something or change something? The type overlaps of who I'm keeping are Blazer & Natasha, Blazer & Asta, and Dan & Sampo. Sampo is just too good for trash fights while Dan is better for bosses. Tingyun is arguably better than Asta, but I value the multi hit more and I have a LC for them that gives +12% attack to everyone.

I also haven't gone deep into SU yet. I can't even finish World 3 because my LCs and Relics are too low level. I also have Sushang at E2, so maybe I should value her more?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

GateOfD posted:

Tingyun might be the most valuable 4* in the game right now.
I would put some attention to Sushang since you lack a physical DPS right now. (unless your planning to keep MC as destruction the whole time, i think fireblazer is by far the superior role atm)

I'm just not good with pure support characters. I only really use Natasha if I don't take March or Fireblazer, and March only really gets a pass because of follow up attacks. I'll level up Tingyun and give her a second look.

I should prioritize Sushang. I have her at e2 already when most of my team aren't even at e1.

I regularly switch Trailblazer around depending on the situation. Party wide shields are great but they're pretty weak right now, even with the proper relic set.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So a decent team would be Fireblazer, Natasha, Arlan, Tingyun? Or March 7, Sushang/Dan Heng, -extra-, Tingyun? With Serval, Sampo, Quinque, Welt Yang able to slot into that third slot if needed?

I like all of these guys, and Quinque and Welt are the only ones who hit Quantum and Imaginary. Or should I just not care about those 2 types?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't really play these types of games. I've played plenty of rpgs, but most of them have been for SNES and PSX. Things like tanks and DPS have never been something I've actively had to plan around outside of Fire Emblem, and that's a completely different beast.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I wouldn't think of Quinque as DPS, but I can see it. I thought of her as support.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

YES bread posted:

im very interested in the reasoning for this. please

Endorph posted:

how? damage is literally all she does

Sorry, I got my terminology wrong. Second DPS, supportive damage I guess? Like I don't run Quinque as a main damage unit, but as someone who hits a specific type weakness. She rolls RNG every turn so I rarely invest skill points into her and instead use them on whoever my main damage dealer is and on shields. I only really invest sp into Quinque if there are multiple enemies with Quantum weakness, otherwise I just use her for focused damaged. I probably use her wrong.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Like running Quinque and Sampo on the same team and I'm happy to use skills on Sampo every turn because Wind Shear on multiple enemies every turn is great and Quinque can just plink away every turn. But I would probably invest more sp into her on a team with Arlan or Herta because Arlan doesn't need his skill for the trash fights and Herta is just fine doing multiple follow up attacks.

Also holy poo poo, I just got Jing Yuan! He's not the best thing ever, but drat is he cool.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

big cummers ONLY posted:

You'll be best served running 1 dps with three people dedicating to buffing and protecting them, but it's not something you have to worry about unless you start losing battles. Use whoever you like, and you just need to worry about adjusting when you hit a wall. It's possible to invest in underperformers but it doesn't sound like your the type or player who cares, and that's valid

The only real wall I've hit so far has been SU 3, but all of my LCs were only at 40 and none of my relics were upgraded. I upgraded several sets to 6 at a minimum and upgraded several of my LCs to 50 so I will hopefully have an easier time next time. I did at least make it to Gepard phase 3 before dying.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also is it worth it to use Jing Yuan for MoC/SU and boss fights and just use someone else for regular trash fights? His ultimate is great and so is his summon, but even at level 50 he feels a bit anemic. Slow maybe? I feel like I clear mobs faster without him.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I feel like I over rate We Are Wildfire! I have it at SI 2 and 35% healing and +10% defense at the start of battle is just really good. I often run March and Fireblazer because of it and don't worry about healing.

I also think I undervalue Welt. I have a max superimposed lc which deals +40% damage to slowed enemies. Welt, Fireblazer, March 7 and Quinque/Arlan seems like it should be a decent team. Free healing and stacking shields and taunts on the MC should be good for something.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Clarste posted:

We are Wildfire looks like it sucks so much, like I can't even imagine it being good. But maybe it's actually useful in no-healer MoC teams?

I haven't gone deep into MoC yet, but my strongest team for everything else has been double Preservation with We are Wildfire and Trend of the Universal Market. Funnel all of your tanking into Fireblazer holding Trend and you take very little actual damage except from aoe attacks. As long as you lose less than half of your health in any one fight you always start the next one at 2/3 or more. Actual healing might be a necessity later, but there's always consumables in between battles.

Also I guess it sucks if you have better lcs? My only good Preservation lcs are the 2 I mentioned.

Also I just realized my Sushang is e3, which is higher than anyone other than Destruction MC. Have her as dps and she can potentially regenerate skill points for me. I need to test this.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

haypliss posted:

Teamwide damage resistance is one of the better things you can get out of a Preservation LC, the only issue with Wildfire is it's turn-limited. It seems solidly in the middle of 4* options since the BP LC sucks and Universal Market is just kind of a weird niche thing.

Most fights don't really last past 5 turns, and the ones that do are usually boss fights that generally have some means to heal afterwards. But maybe that's different in later stage MoC and SU?

Universal Market seems made for Fireblazer. Extra defense and what is basically a free follow up for being hit seems made for his taunts.

Also the 3 star Preservation cones just suck. I never saw a basic cone worth using for March 7 compared to the ones available for Nihility, Destruction and Hunt.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Clarste posted:

It's per battle, but MoC is divided into 2 battles per side and you want to go fast to get the stars anyway, so a limited-time buff would also be more useful. Possibly. Might let you play more aggressively than otherwise?

The party wide defense buff is for 5 turns. The heal is at the start of battle.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just did World 3 in SU. It was almost laughably easy with double Preservation, Welt and Sushang. Path of Preservation naturally. I took almost 0 damage during the boss fight.

Last time I tried it half of my party was at level 40 and so were all of my light cones. Also, none of my relics were upgraded. This time everyone was level 50 and so was at least 1 of my lcs, and all of my relics were level 7.

World 4 is next. Path of Elation with Jing Yuan seems a safe bet for a first clear.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

And it didn't go well. I didn't even make it past the elite, which is vulnerable to ice and fire. Which stinks, because the recommended elements are lightning and wind. Also Preservation is probably the safer and easier route, or I just need to wait until the next equilibrium since the recommended level is 52.

Also I would probably be better off with Dan Heng over Sampo. Or maybe I should just bring Nat and let Jing Yuan do his thing.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hellioning posted:

The elites are pulled from a pool of possible options, so it's possible you just got unlucky.

Got the lightning horse twice in two runs. I managed to complete it the second try. Level 50, team of Fireblazer, March, Nat and Jing Yuan. Did the path of Preservation. Managed to kill Svarog with only Nat left standing and it was loving close, but I didn't even start to take damage until phase 3. I really feel like there's something to this team.

Ibblebibble posted:

Abundance is the SU5 easy mode path but it's more for Kafka herself rather than any of the midbosses.

I don't have Abundance unlocked yet. It's the only one I'm missing. Also SU 4, not 5. I'm not at the right equilibrium yet.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I haven't done Hunt yet but my world 3 run had almost as many Hunt blessings as Preservation. It was great. I think I need to start doing runs of the first 2 worlds to get a handle on the different paths. I just unlocked Nihility too and that looks like a great time for a Sampo and Welt team.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

Bold of you to assume I don't want both

E: one day I'll get Bailu and then I'll have tri-thunder-plus-SW (Serval/Kafka/Bailu/SW) and will laugh all the way to the bank

What does tri thunder give you? I can put together a team of Serval, Tingyun, Arvan and Jing Yuan for all the good it will do me.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

UHD posted:

that's largely why i pull based on Rule of Cool. power comes and goes but style is forever.

Yeah this. Also just work with what you get unless you want to whale.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Right now I just want dupes for Quinque, Welt and Asta maybe? I know Tingyun is statistically better but I just like Asta. More dupes for Sushang would be good too.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Meowywitch posted:

Asta owns. she's got this weird gremlin-like personality that hides behind the facade of a mature, composed person

Yeah, Asta is great. And I'm a sucker for multi hit/multi target characters. My favorites are Asta, Welt, Serval and Sampo and I have a really difficult time picking one.

I also really like Herta. Her follow ups make me laugh every time. I wish I could make her better.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also, Serval is a pretty decent dps if you have some dupes. She ends up doing multi target for free so you can run her as a secondary and invest skills into your main.

Kyrosiris posted:

Restricts SW's weakness injection to just Lightning or Quantum, and Serval/Kafka theoretically should work really well together. Bailu's just there to heal but not gently caress up the elemental spread. :shrug:

Also this makes sense, thanks. I'm not really looking forward to any new characters because this is my first Honkai game so I don't know who anyone is or their deal outside of what the story tells me. If they look cool then I want them, like Jing Yuan. Silver Wolf hits my looks cool requirement but since I got the pity for Jing Yuan she'll probably be out of my reach.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

facepalmolive posted:

Here's my CONTROVERSIAL HOT TAKE but I prefer Asta over Tingyun, with the caveat that I'm not into endgame yet (I easily breezed through FH13 but then FH14 completely wiped the floor on me). I do have more merges on Asta than Tingyun though, so maybe that's why. FWIW, Dreamy agrees with me (though she does have some very spicy takes, like making Herta work in MoC).

The buffs Tingyun brings are immediately apparent -- you buff a guy, and then you buff again and charge their ult, and spend the rest of your time feeding skillpoints to your team. But I think it's very easy to overlook speed buffs -- it doesn't feel as crunchy or immediately impactful. Asta is also more skillpoint hungry, in exchange for better single-target breaks I guess.

But as I was struggling to make 3* timers in FH, but then I swapped from Tingyun to Asta and ended up having an extra round or two to spare. I was solidly sold on Asta. I rolled on the JY banner specifically for Tingyun, but I don't even use her anymore.

I still personally believe people are sleeping on speed (and/or, slowing down enemies), but hard to tell. I could be the biased one here.

Tingyun does work miles better for Clara than Asta does, though, in multiple ways.

I very much agree about the slowed enemies part. I've been using Welt more and his tech and ult are just disgusting for boosting your parties actions. Also Loop might as well be his personal lc and it's a common one.

I haven't been using Asta lately but I don't really use Tingyun either. Maybe I need to put Asta and Welt together. I don't have any great Harmony lcs though, but I do have the one that buffs the parties attack by 12% or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

silvergoose posted:

So I got a surprise early...Welt.

My main team is Seele Bronya Natasha Tingyun

What the hell do I do for a second team featuring Welt? Hook PreservationTB Sampo? Pela? I've no idea what I'm doing here.

Welt is a great controller. His technique slows the enemy at the start of combat, as does his ult. Also Loop is a common lc and at max si gives him +48% dmg against slowed enemies. I slept on him for a long time but he's become one of my main dps.

Since you already have Seele built up he may be less useful to you, but I missed the Seele banner and Welt does the most damage of anyone on my team even if he's not hitting a weakness.

I am admittedly missing a lot of good characters. I don't have anyone from Jarilo IV except for Serval and Sampo, and I only have Tingyun, Sushang and Jing Yuan from the last banner. The only other non storyline characters I have are Asta and Arlan.