Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

care houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Care houses

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

my dad posted:

Order

Mechanics talk regarding the bear fight: It's a 50-50 coinflip if your scouts survive. The people will use the opportunity to start running towards your town, and if you intercept them quickly enough with a second team of scouts, none of them will die. There is another big obvious risk later in the game, and as far as I know, it will always give you the opposite result of the one you received in the bear cave. Unfortunately, that second risk location is far more important, and if you don't follow up on it, despite the losses it will cause, you miss out on a lot.

Yep

Order by the way, British after all

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Guard Stations

I feel the londoners are going to cause real problems soon

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Guard Station

Being able to actively raise hope seems useful to use immediately with the londoners and the foreman can be next

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Oddly enough, lets get a prison up

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Prison Throw them in the clink for a few days to sober up and change their ways.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Patrol

We need to get hope higher to combat the londoners

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Patrols

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You know, in endless mode with faith you can eventually just employ all your humans in the healthcare system and have autobots get your resources for you, health care being of course the warmest job... save 15 poor souls to explore inbetween blow outs. but dang that run has been fun... wild, and also OH DEAR

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

painedforever posted:

Goddamnit, this thread is making me want to install Frostpunk all over again.

There I was, on track to play a bit of Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but this just looks like so much more fun. And the playthrough here is doing so well that I'm all like, "Yeah, this time I could do better." 'cause I survived the main scenario, sure, but you just want to go back and see if you can do more.

Frostpunk 2 is sometime this year, probably winter

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Prison

By the way, you can avoid the poets death by dismantling the propaganda center after building it and using it one time, then still make agitators for their bonuses.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mechanical Ape posted:

I am confident that even after the frostpocalypse, Punch is still in publication and that Sir John Tenniel is out there somewhere, drawing scathingly satirical caricatures of engineers and Irishmen.

I am sure he is lurking in the depths below London even now, scribbling his pen furiously with a single piece of coal glowing a brazier beside him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Agitator

I don't think we need to go so far to get rid of the last hold outs.

Also the deaths are a scripted event of propaganda center... Propaganda center just suuuuucks because it forces the death of a lot of people, I always deconstruct it after building and using it once because... if the center doesn't physically exist it can't hurt people

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Agitator we might as well get a workplace bonus buff going.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

painedforever posted:

Y'know, it's weird but I'm reading this book about dictators (How to Be a Dictator by Frank Dikötter), and this game is practically pushing us into becoming a dictator. Like, it's in the playbook (had there been a playbook), but y'know, having propaganda centers blaring wall-to-wall praise for you and your policies, bully-boys to enforce your laws, hiding events that might cause discontent...

Is this a secret fascism simulator?

Nobody, and I mean, Nobody is making us pass these laws

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

None of the Above

House of pleasure would have been... useful earlier when discontent was a larger issue, but we have most of the issues over now, better to keep things as they are and work towards surviving.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fivemarks posted:

I find it kind of annoying to play this game after listening to the Behind the Bastards episode on Elite Panic.

For those not in the know, the entire concept of Elite Panic is "In a disaster or crisis, the poor and common people will go crazy and start looting and stealing and going all purgey, so the elites need to use FORCE to keep ORDER." The problem with this is that, in general, in disasters and times of crisis, people tend to band together and work together to survive and help each other out.

The biggest threat during these disasters and crises is, as best exemplified by the Ycua Balanos supermarket fire, Elite Panic itself. Where the Elites are so worried about the people and looting that they immediately care more about implementing force instead of dealing with the crisis. In the Ycua Balanos fire, it was the store owner ordering the doors to the burning building locked so that customers would not be able to leave without paying for stuff (So they didn't steal anything, according to him). During the 1900's San Francisco Earthquake, initial community organized relief efforts and mutual aid were disrupted when the US army showed up and insisted on military discipline and started attacking people for being 'looters'.

Basically what I'm saying, and this is a bit political, is that Frostpunk kinda feels like it was written by the kind of shitlibs who believe in the Elite Panic myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_panic

I mean I would disagree and I think that is evident in some of the other scenarios, we can get into that after this round completes so that people who have never played aren't spoiled.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ChaosDragon posted:

So how are we on supplies captain?

I looked at the last image, 6500 coal which is decent and 3 days worth of food cooked another 3 days uncooked. those are the ones important for survival, several hundred wood and steel and two steam cores for crafting, with tesla city up that will bring in a core a day which makes things... easy

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

No New laws currently

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ChaosDragon posted:

How are we on food?

With Tesla city every... 3 days the city could put up an industrial hothouse and staff it with an automaton for immense amounts of raw food

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

wedgekree posted:

On Children's Homes - how do you get people to actually move into them? I'm doing a run where I have tons of kids, several Children's Homes and they're empty wtih none of the kids living in them. I'm wondering if there's a flag or something you have to do with houses?

Children homes are the kids "jobs" unless you pass the apprenticeship laws at which point they will go over to the medical/workshop areas and bug the engineers working there

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

wedgekree posted:

Cool, so that means I don't have to build them if I have an apprenticeship program setup!

Into the coal mines tis!

you need them built for the bonus to hope from them even though they will stand empty, if you do enact child labor, into the... hothouses actually, hothouses are a good place to stash your children, and the soupSawdust kitchens

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

No Law

I'd say agitators but I want to stomp down the Triage faction, we don't need that stuff, we can just employ more automatons to heal the sick

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I was going to say it would probably have made more sense to swap out the word "punk" than "steam", and communicate better what the game is about.
But, thinking about it, this game is Punk. It's just punk in a more intellectual way. A huge chunk of it is about the slide into authoritarianism and how easy that is under pressure.

Hell, from a punk perspective, the police vs church choice is a bit more balanced, morally speaking. Both are means to control the masses and introducing either of them into your society is a bad idea, as you'll lose perspective on where you stop comforting people and start oppressing them. The game deliberately does not tell you at what point you Cross The Line. It's on you to realise that you'll do that if you don't stop.
Sure, you can just dive whole-heartedly into being an evil overlord and enjoy doing so if you want, but you can be a fascist in Disco Elysium too, that doesn't mean it's what the game is about.

How far are you willing to go, what choices are you going to make, what changes to society would you impose, can you do better so you never have to make those choices? I think punk is very appropriate.

Part of the punk too and we are far enough in to see it, is that the great powers much like the powerful today, held off on actually getting their poo poo together and trying to deal with the impending crisis (global freezing here global warming irl) until it was getting far too late

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Equip him, Agitators

By the way, someone on the frostpunk subreddit posted a NO LAWS, EXTREME, NO DEATHS run, use of extreme shenanigans to make it through hope issues was done

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Food yes, we have plenty

Laws... none needed

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Let them pray, no new laws

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Out of curiosity, if you knew from prior experience or out of game knowledge that there would be this “quest” to build the new facilities in these temperatures, could you prep in advance and have them ready, or is it entirely conditional as part of the storm event?

Those quests and any other ones that are "build x number of buildings" is always "on top of what you have existing"

Notably I had a run where I didn't use any advanced buildings (its an achievement) and I didn't get the coal mines event, I suspect it won't fire if you only have level 1 mines as they are not deep enough or something?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

One of the truly bizarre choices in this game is that you can build however many fighting pits as you want... but only a single pub.

How does that logic track?

people will only walk SO far to punch each other in the face, they will go the distance for booze.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Very close to a deathless run as well, I don't think anyone died outside of ones caused by law events, even got double lucky on the two explorations that can potentially kill your scouts.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Koorisch posted:

I'm assuming that prisons are ok but forcing people to take oaths of loyalty and labeling people is enough to count.

Prisons are ok, people will actually ASK you to pass the prison law during the londoners arc.

Realistically in the game the law itself is just in practicality a drunk tank, people get thrown in for a few days to cool their heels and clear their heads then go back out.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tortolia posted:

I always assume time durations are somewhat abstract in a situation like that, else you’re looking at the concept that a few dozen randomly surviving people are scientists capable of iterating multiple generations of facility and equipment improvement in a matter of a handful of days in a facility rapidly thrown together in a convenient pit.

I feel like the technology tree is not truly inventing anything new, but adapting existing designs and equipment to the absolutely terrible conditions and weather. Basically packing as much insulation in as possible. The city can't make true innovation like new steam cores and has to salvage.

For things like the automaton redesigns I get the impression that the stock model is heavily gilded with all sorts of fancy extra bits because back before the cold came they were the absolute pride of the empire and made up extremely fashionable, the later designs are bare bones for functionality.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I voted in the poll like a responsible person.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Got to go for the options that cater to the sick and injured, since our human numbers can't be increased.

Also, did I read this scenario correctly, the idea is that we are saving these seeds for some nebulous future, but after the automatons are secured we just go back to the crater?

The idea is that the group is a bunch of scientists who are literally prepared to die for the cause of securing the seeds, the goal is to get enough automatons built and running to have the city operate and maintain itself without any human intervention, so that even if all the scientists die before the world warms back up, the seeds will be there for the future. The crew is there for as long as they can last but they don't have the numbers to sustain society or humanity themselves.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Is it possible for the automaton research to go bad/fail? In the first scenario losing one steam core and one automaton doesn't feel too dangerous, but in this one that could be a major setback.

None of those types of research events can go bad as far as I know, the event descriptions will always tell you if there are risks involved. In this case what you are risking is 1 engineer for a day, 1 automaton for a day, and spend 1 steam core to buff all your automata

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

There is a good chance of it being Canada

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

At the end of the day having it end right away is absolutely fine here if you have done all the objectives, you only have so many guys, and your steam cores are not unlimited either. And Frankly for your city in particular the engineers are fully prepared to die themselves as long as the seedling arks are set up for which we did, and New Manchester should also make it with all the dang automatons sent to it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

In the Arks scenario as you get your automatons up and running you swap your engineers over to researching, you can get some really high research rates going,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Faith Keepers