Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
So at what point does the game decide you went too far? Is it the capstone of the tree, or is it close to where we stopped?

Edit: Also, I just realized this is by the This War of Mine devs, and that explains so much about it. Masterful.

BassMug fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

RBA Starblade posted:

I think part of the problem is that the game is measured in days and not weeks…
…The escalation from "we need order to give purpose to our lives so we don't kill ourselves" to "I'm Mega Stalin now" is like a week lmao.

What the hell guys.

I imagine it’s even sillier in the cult route, where in less than a week you’re presumably The Son of Heaven, Who Speaks for God and rules by His Order etc.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Lord Koth posted:

You really just have to take the aesthetic and themes as they are - and they are of course very good.

Oh, of course! The game is amazingly compelling, both in its story and how it chooses to tell it.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Black Robe posted:

You've not worked with field biologists, have you.

I feel like a good chunk of the desk academics I know would jump at the chance to punch out someone in their department or the next one over, even!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Fat Samurai posted:

I have just learned that's called Sarye's Law.

Huh! I learned something new today. Thanks! :D

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Yeah, this feels like a pretty solid stopping point re: laws. Triage is more trouble than it’s worth when we have so few to begin with, same with Dueling. Pleasure house just plain worries me with its implicaions.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Avalerion posted:

Not just implication, there's an event that can result from the law that spells out the forced aspect of it.

Oh. Credit where credit’s due, these devs do not hold back with the gut punches. Respecc.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

biosterous posted:

alas, a quick google says there's no trivial way to mod things, so we can't make a Horse of Pleasure mod

The real tragedy :(

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

At the end of the day having it end right away is absolutely fine here if you have done all the objectives, you only have so many guys, and your steam cores are not unlimited either. And Frankly for your city in particular the engineers are fully prepared to die themselves as long as the seedling arks are set up for which we did, and New Manchester should also make it with all the dang automatons sent to it.

As long as they don’t set them all to sweep bridges :P

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Yay, looking forward to this!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
By the great God, the deacon talks like the good father from Swiss Family Robinson :allears: I love it. God is good!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

GunnerJ posted:

The Deacon seemingly got Rip Van Winkle-d from the 1600s to the start of the game.

Our blessed Deacon was freed from two-hundred year ice by the Archangel Michael himself! And even as the world froze (in God’s judgement for our sins) he came to us to deliver us. Truly, God is good.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
God preserve us, so many lie dead. And with those who would call themselves lords above the one true Lord still out there, we can only say a quick prayer, and give of our Blood and Sweat that we may survive.

It’s still better than what we had back home.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Only the Good Lord can denounce someone. Who are we, who live in earthly sin, to throw stones upon our brothers?

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Philippe posted:

Let them in and give them houses. All men are created equal.

What we do to the lowest of us, we do unto our Savior. The Lords have sinned greatly against us in the world we left. We must not become them, or all we will create is a new Gehenna. We will likely need more food, however. Let them in, and improve our food.

If they should decide to prey upon us, they can always be rebuked. But to leave them outside to die, when the Slate has been buried in clean snow, would doom them and us to Hell. And all the cold we suffer will be nothing compared to the heat of eternal flame.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

Third is us kicking them out obviously.

(Which presumably has Consequences.)

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Excerpt from a cook’s journal:

“You know what’s got me hopping mad? Common bloody ground. Don’t get me wrong, the boss— Er, the Deacon— had the right idea letting the posh crowd in. Not that I like having them around, mind, but we couldn’t well whine about how they treated us and then turn around and abandon the bastards. Heh, “poor” bastards now. It ain’t sunk in yet for most of ‘em, but, heh.

No, what’s got me pissed is what one of them was bellyaching about while they was going on about the rations here. He misses tea. Well goodness me or whatever you lot say, don’t we all? None of us have had a proper mug since we left the old country. Granted, a posh fucker like that probably drank some frou-frou bullshit made of imported French flowers or something, while those of us who built this drat city AND the old one drank honest builders. It ain’t tea unless it’s strong enough a rat can run across it, yeah? But here I am, staring this bloke with the biggest mustache I’ve ever seen in the eye, ripe for a bollocking, and instead of that all I can say is, “Yeah. Me too.” Like we’re mates or something.

Is agreeing with some rich rear end in a top hat what equality looks like? gently caress, I don’t know that I like that.”

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Let them in, improve healthcare.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

CzarChasm posted:

Also, fighting arenas, public houses and dueling. Let the common man vent his frustration at or upon the former ruling class.

Wait, but they could win in a duel. Let’s keep it to fists so they gotta use their wimpy li’l noble nooble arms!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Truly, he is craven. Nonetheless, we have a God-given Duty to the Children. If helping them helps that man, then I suppose we can live with it.

…And hopefully, the rat bastard steps into the arena and gets clobbered. Serve him right.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

The Lone Badger posted:

The game structure is forcing us into a false dichotomy here by requiring us to treat Craven and the children as a single unit, rather than shooting him then rescuing them.

It’s especially dumb considering we could say “Only the able-bodied can come in” during part of A New Home.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
ughhhhhhh gotta stop’em because principles. gently caress this guy tho

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
:(

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Now that we’ve seen both timelines, I just wanna say I love the quiet tragedy you wrote in for the first one. The deacon leaving in guilt, a good man in an impossible position, really stuck with me.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Oh man, it’s all gone to pot before we even start. Here’s hoping we can give this story, uh, an ending where some folk survive like in canon at least.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Tortolia posted:

For what it’s worth, while I appreciate the collaborative nature of letting us help shape the LP, if certain scenarios bottleneck or fail hard without particular strategies (especially early game) I don’t think anyone’s going to be upset at you leaning on the scales a bit.

What they said. It’s frankly amazing to me that you’ve been able to clear two runs of this game while listening to our votes as it is.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
It’s in scenarios like these that you can definitely see the This War of Mine DNA in this game. Gut punch after gut punch.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I love the ambiguity of how you wrote this captain. Since we never go behind his eyes, we can only see him through the citizens, and his actions. Especially both times he spoke to the engineers.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
4 and 5.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

GrandTheftAutism posted:

3 and 6. WE REQUIRE MORE MINERALS

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I know it’s not the point of the game, but I always wonder how they cook the standard rations. We know soup/sawdust/corpses make up the ‘we have no food’ rations, but that leaves a lot of possible ideas for the real stuff.

There’s always plenty of water as long as there’s fuel. We know they have access to inexplicably fast-growing veggies, presumably including potatoes or grain since they have moonshine. Scouts and hunters bring in a mix of old world rations, fish, and small game (and occasional bears) for meat. We also know they’re old timey British people. So the obvious answer is a lot of stew and pottage/potage/succotash type dishes. I imagine that long term settlements will probably need some variety, though, so what else? They have ovens, so meat pie and pasties, for in the field?

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
gently caress it, we pub.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Coke pills are the most period thing ever, and I loving love it :allears:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Bath house, because cleanliness is next to cocaine (in the dictionary.)

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Comfortable Quarters, Streets of Rage Bare Knuckle, Radical Treatment

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Hearty Meals, Bare Knuckle, Care House

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Safety Procedure

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Repatriation of Bodies, Collective Bargaining, Chapel