Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m starting to think the people that run the studios are incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So it looks like the big holdouts are Netflix and Disney. Amazon and Apple probably feel the same way because they’re tech, but they have so much other revenue streams they probably don’t care either way.

The remaining studios associated with AMPTP probably have way more to lose than Netflix and Disney. If I were WGA/SAG I’d try to score interim agreements with them. The AMPTP is trying to get infighting to happen on WGA/SAG side, so they may as well try the same.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

I know for sure it was reported that Netflix were big holdouts, at least when it came to SAG.

Like the AMPTP's entire purpose seems to be to prevent studios from striking separate deals. Does it do anything when the guilds aren't negotiating?

If I recall correctly the last WGA strike ended when studios broke away to do interim deals and they all fell like dominoes not long after.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Enderzero posted:

The idea that they can’t get proper residuals for streaming now seems insane because I swear I remember in 2008 that was a sticking point that the wga caved in because streaming was so new and was worth nothing - at the time. I remember South Park guys making fun of them for blocking a deal over such small potatoes.

Fast forward to now and streaming ate the world and this was SUPPOSED to be the true-up contract, where we saw how streaming shook out and paid out accordingly.

The optics on this are clear enough that most Americans are on board and the fact that despite that the studios still won’t deal, because they both want to crush unions and also desperately, howlingly need the stock price to go up (oh, and streaming may be a scam!), is a leading indicator of how the us is near crumbling. I don’t want to get too doomy, but between climate change surging and the almighty stock market forcing exponential gains, something has to break. The copper is almost completely ripped out of the walls at this point.

edit: like they just got movies back on track after a pandemic and now they’re blowing up the pipeline? Something is seriously wrong here and they may have finally untethered enough from the rest of us that they can’t even see it.

The studios — Netflix especially — are terrified of streaming numbers becoming public. They’ll proudly tout big numbers if it’s a gigantic smash hit like Wednesday, Squid Game, or Stranger Things, but beyond that they won’t. There’s only two possible reasons:

1) so many people are watching streaming that they’ll go broke paying actors residuals, and no-name actors become millionaires almost overnight, or

2) nobody is watching this poo poo and it’s all a house of cards, and investors are going to be extremely unhappy that they invested all this time and money to produce content no one is watching, and they bail.

It’s fun guessing which.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t know why the WGA and SAG don’t just negotiate interim agreements with the weakest members of the AMPTP and isolate the assholest assholes of the bunch.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

That’s why the AMPTP exists. In the 1960 WGA strike Universal made a deal first and forced the hand of the rest of the studios (and that’s why residuals exist at all), they’re not letting that happen again.

Like the entire organization is basically just a cartel of business owners. Should be illegal, but this is America.

But they CAN negotiate separately still.

It’s pretty obvious the people in charge of the studios all hate each other so screw the AMPTP and get it over with.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VorpalBunny posted:

There was an interesting interview with an indie finance guy, and he was both-sidesing the situation so hard. He claims distributors are shying away from interim-agreement projects and their "baggage".
https://deadline.com/2023/08/chris-pine-glen-powell-anna-kendrick-movies-launch-during-strikes-challenges-agc-stuart-ford-1235531492/

Bullshit. It depends on what the project is and who’s in it. If a big name is attached, they’ll take it.

LividLiquid posted:

The first one to cave might get to start making content first, but the people who make the decision will make some loving powerful enemies that day.

They’re already enemies with each other. All the poo poo they do about trying to break the WGA to argue with each other is because they think these writers and actors are as scummy as they are.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Mordiceius posted:

As the WGA and SAG continue stand in solidarity, it seems like the execs are starting to go feral. https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1697033082757419053

I’m weary of this because the studios hired a crisis PR team and the trades are the voice of the studios, so something about this story being in Deadline is so fishy to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I already know they all hate each other, but I can’t help but feel this was planted to get workers guards down or something.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 31, 2023

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-walking-dead-spinoffs-interview-with-the-vampire-to-resume-production-sag-aftra-deal-1235533050/

AMC has made a deal with SAG-AFTRA where Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon, Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live and Interview with the Vampire can resume filming.

Little by little they chip away.

This will be over sooner rather than later.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

…didn’t they just hire Molly Levinson to do crisis PR?

Now they wanna spend on crisis PR for their crisis PR?

These people have brainworms.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Pretty much. All the networks' fall seasons were supposed to start in the next few weeks. NBC has a few shows already in the can (Quantum Leap, The Irrational, Magnum PI), but it's going to be an autumn of reruns and reality TV.

Which is why they need to strike a deal NOW; they will need time to get everything up and running after the fall.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Someone with knowledge: do you see this impacting the strike against the AMPTP at all? I presume they wouldn’t really care.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Narcissus1916 posted:

https://www.vulture.com/2023/09/2023-sag-and-wga-strike-picket-line-updates-week-9.html

Curious to see if that number will decrease as the strike continues...

This number appears to be an increase from the last one I saw but I can’t find the link.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

WGA and SAG should’ve tried to get them individually from the beginning.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Genuinely shocked Drew Barrymore would do this. But I don’t think it will impact her. She knows way too many important people and she’s too connected for this to impact her. That’s probably why she doesn’t give a poo poo.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Fox boss states the strike has to be settled by 10/1 to save the broadcast season.

As some one who remembers losing the '94 world series, burn motherfucker burn!

I guess there's no broadcast season then.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Happy Landfill posted:

For once, Sean Penn is not being a creep but making a perfectly valid point. Remember what the Beyond Two Souls devs did with Elliot Page's body scans

https://www.businessinsider.com/ellen-page-explored-legal-action-against-sony-over-nude-video-game-images-2015-4

Note: this is from back in 2015, before Page transitioned

That is loving reprehensible.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
“ I guess I'm somewhat optimistic that they will have a deal in October because if it goes much further than that, these studios will just write off the rest of the year and say, see you in January. And then we'll really start to get into a world of hurt because there have already been layoffs, furloughs. The economies of Los Angeles and New York are taking massive hits. The hope is that we can get something done before mid-October. If not - disaster.”

Link: https://www.npr.org/2023/09/10/1198675583/differences-within-members-of-striking-groups-are-complicating-the-hollywood-str

That does not sound encouraging. :(

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

He’s right but hasn’t he done Bill’s show dozens of times?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Talks with WGA resuming next week

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

I guess this is why negotiations are continuing next week then?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I saw a comment on reddit (I know) saying they wonder if they’re all pausing production because they got an inside tip the writers are gonna get offered a good deal this week anyway so may as well wait for the guild to approve it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VorpalBunny posted:

I heard the studios are on a January production schedule, which means they don't expect anything resolved before the end of the year. If the studios are making these internal decisions, I am not confident they are offering any deals in good faith.

If January is the start though, then they gotta get everyone back NOW.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

That would be the sensible response, but I bet they think they can just have people film without (finalised) scripts. Consistent with their logic so far tbh.

Even if the scripts aren’t final they still have to get the actors back NOW because actors need their schedules worked out. The strike didn’t just make things vanish, they will all have backlogs that need to be worked around.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

mancalamania posted:

I’m glad most of those talk shows are backing down, but now I’m curious: why does it seem like there is more of an outcry against talk shows filming during this strike than last strike?

During the 07 strike most of the talk shows started filming again after a few months and I don’t remember any backlash. If anything, I remember people generally liking the weird unscripted anti-humor bits on Conan for putting the strike and the importance of talk show writers in the spotlight in the spotlight. The only negative incident I remember involved Jay Leno saying he was still writing a monologue by himself every night but even that felt more like people riffing on Leno for not understanding the rules and not actual animosity.

Is it just a different culture or is there some subtle reason why it’s a bigger deal this time around?

Because back then the studios exposed a loophole that since the hosts also had hosting duties despite being WGA members, they should be able to do their show, but without writers. Additionally, Letterman had an interim deal with his writers through his own production company. The loophole was closed this time, and also this time WGA isn’t granting interim deals.

In other news, Bill Maher is pushing the Real Time return back, and said it’s because both sides are back at the table. So yeah I think these shows all know something we don’t.

Edit: clarified a comment about 2007.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 18, 2023

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Baronash posted:

Have they explained why? If there are individual productions or companies willing to agree to your terms, what is the downside to letting them go ahead? Wouldn't that increase the pressure on the holdouts to cave, since they would be losing money while other networks or streaming services are releasing new shows and movies?

I don’t have an answer for that because I’m not in the union, but IIRC in 2007 interim deals with Marvel and Lionsgate (who weren’t in AMPTP, though Marvel is now due to Disney) were a big catalyst for the strike ending, but the side effect to that was the WGA rushed to concede some things they wish they hadn’t, and they wanna hold the line more now because this strike is very very existential compared to previous ones.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gaz-L posted:

It is a key difference between the 2 strike here, as SAG are offering interim agreements.

and that has since been modified to no longer grant interim deals to any WGA covered project so those are harder to get now.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Any quotes from sources to news outlets and trades are coming straight from the studios so don’t stock hope in this. It’s a tactic.

Edit: but I hope they do agree on a deal today.

...! posted:

Yeah, this seems like odd timing to me. I sincerely hope that they're nearing a deal (with the guild getting nearly everything they want) but for some reason this smells like AMPTP propaganda, as a pretext for trying to rile up the public when the guild "suddenly broke off communication when we were close to a deal, what greedy assholes!"

Sure hope I'm wrong

I mean, it’s their only course of action if they don’t wanna give a fair deal. They know they are the bad guys here and they know they also look like the bad guys.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 21, 2023

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
That and the studios could really use a PR win like "CEOs reach deal with writers."

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

xeria posted:

I've seen some writers, like David Slack, call bullshit on the part that reads if a deal isn't reached today, nothing will happen for the rest of the year because that obviously reads like the AMPTP trying to strongarm the unions yet again.

They very likely are. Or the studios are just bluffing. They don’t have a whole lot else left they can really do or say.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Argyle posted:

It is kind of amazing that the AMPTP dropped millions of dollars into a crisis PR firm, and the best they can come up with is "pretend it's going well!"

Because PR agencies are mostly a grift.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Third day in a row of meeting I’d say is a good sign considering how often the writers were blown off.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Argyle posted:

I've heard everything from 2 weeks to "immediately" but that was months ago.

Vibes are great out here at Paramount. Already hearing rumors that there's a deal but could be nervous optimism. Then again, they called us all out to the lines today and we are extending the hours, so it really feels like something is imminent

You'd know better than me but Paramount really can't hold out much longer. If there's no deal I imagine they'd join Sony and break for their own interim deal.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Argyle posted:

Well, so much for a dramatic finish on the picket lines. We packed up at 2 PM. To quote the strike captain as we were leaving, “I hope I don’t see any of you on Monday.”

Now to refresh Deadline every 5 seconds for the rest of the weekend.

Good luck. Rooting for you.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
No deal yet but they are meeting on Saturday.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
If it’s the trades, take it with a grain of salt.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Again, note that Deadline, TVLine, The Hollywood Reporter and Variety are all owned by Penske Media, and they're all in the bag for the AMPTP.

And the few stories that painted the CEOs of the studios in a bad light were basically only there because Carol Lombardini was pissed that she was getting thrown under the bus.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
WGA is responding tomorrow.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
The trade article is just the studios trying to save face and look like they got something out of this debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Happy Landfill posted:

Not sure how much this had to do with the deal, but an interesting coincidence nonetheless:thunk:

https://twitter.com/Sej_Singh/status/1706137309920252169?s=20

It’s absolutely not a coincidence that the studios agreed to talk again almost immediately after news came out that this bill passed and was on Newsom’s desk.