Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Any SAG goons in the thread with insight into the current election? We received a handful of emails and some mail with a bunch of names (the group including Dr Drew and Rob Schneider can go gently caress themselves) but it's not that clear on who/how to vote.

Does anyone have a website we can look into or can private message me with the actual voting process? It's our first election (my kids are new-ish SAG members) and I don't want to screw it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Zesty posted:

Are you also in SAG? How old are your kids?

My kids are 12 and under, so I don't even think we should vote since I'd be doing all the voting for them. Though it's tempting to vote a few times against the chud candidates.

I have the ballots, and a handful of emails/mailers, I was just looking for some advice before we dug into it all. I am not in SAG.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

Counterpoint, you're their guardian and these votes are for their representation, so you should vote for the right person to represent their interests same as you'd be responsible for other decisions on their behalf that impact them.

Also not in any way associated with this but I do know when we hold votes in my org - if you got the ballot you're eligible, if you weren't supposed to vote you wouldn't be in the mailout.

Yeah, my kids don't really understand it but the current leadership is fighting for their professional rights and I have tried to explain to them what it means when they have been bodyscanned on a job or why there are different SAG rates. They are dues paying union members and deserve a vote for their future, I just don't love the idea of voting for them. But much like the way I book their jobs and do their taxes and handle their finances, it's part of my unpaid momager role and I think I can make an educated decision for them.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up their ballots before I got started, but I think I figured it out with some googling and marveling at the idea of voting for 140 convention delegates and 41 local board members.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

We also have no idea how much this strike is/is not affecting Netflix. I assume it's not really hurting them very much yet because they have content already banked, but at some point they will run out and not have anything to attract new subscribers with.

The "kids" of Stranger Things are in their 20s now, and they plan to use de-aging technology to salvage their final season. If/when that ever actually films...

There was an interesting interview with an indie finance guy, and he was both-sidesing the situation so hard. He claims distributors are shying away from interim-agreement projects and their "baggage".
https://deadline.com/2023/08/chris-pine-glen-powell-anna-kendrick-movies-launch-during-strikes-challenges-agc-stuart-ford-1235531492/

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Anyone else get that delightfully unhinged Facebook-esque campaign email from the "Independent" candidates? It was ~20 paragraphs of raging against Big Pharma's mystery juice and the other 19 were practically gibberish word salad. My favorite part was the link to an Adam Corolla podcast at the top of the email, like that was their introduction. And why are they sending this email today, aren't ballots due ASAP? It seems odd to dump 39 paragraphs in an email, one of those paragraphs bitching about how much it costs to access the SAG contact list, on practically the day ballots are due to be counted. Did they send one of these out a few weeks ago when folks were actually voting and I missed it?

I can only imagine folks like that in a negotiation with the studios. Iger would just give them a mic, tell them to share their views, and nod and agree and get them to agree to some poo poo deal because they felt they were heard.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1701110118870659085
A Twitter thread about what exactly is going on in regards to Drew Barrymore's talk show and the plans to bring it back. Basically she isn't violating SAG-AFTRA strike rules since talk shows are under a different agreement which is currently valid (as long as she doesn't promote struck work) but it does fall under WGA's strike and so having the show at all means that someone is doing work that should be done by a WGA writer.

Talk about loving up the PR of the moment - kicking out audience members on your first day back while trying to pinky promise you aren't a scab? Way to go Drew!
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/drew-barrymore-show-audience-kicked-out-1235587064/

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I got caught in some wicked traffic this morning driving on the 101 through Hollywood, until I spotted the helicopters and realized I was driving right under Sunset where protestors were gathering to march from Netflix to Paramount. I have no idea how big the crowd was today, but it was screwing up the Sunset, Santa Monica and Hollywood exits both ways on the 101!

Now that the weather is decent, I hope to bring the kids out to picket one of these days. It would be nice for them to get a taste of the work people are putting in to make sure they are taken care of on set. Thanks to all the goons on the lines!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

fart blood posted:

I saw a comment on reddit (I know) saying they wonder if they’re all pausing production because they got an inside tip the writers are gonna get offered a good deal this week anyway so may as well wait for the guild to approve it.

I heard the studios are on a January production schedule, which means they don't expect anything resolved before the end of the year. If the studios are making these internal decisions, I am not confident they are offering any deals in good faith.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Argyle posted:

WGA message to members tonight:

The part in bold feels significant. I hope it’s for a potential celebration on the picket lines.

Even if they reach a deal, it still has to be reviewed and voted on by members, correct? Anyone know the potential time frame for that?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Argyle posted:

I've heard everything from 2 weeks to "immediately" but that was months ago.

Vibes are great out here at Paramount. Already hearing rumors that there's a deal but could be nervous optimism. Then again, they called us all out to the lines today and we are extending the hours, so it really feels like something is imminent

Awesome! So I guess that would mean showrunners could get back to cutting their already-filmed stuff and getting everything as close to locked as possible, and then SAG can bang out their agreement and then actors would be able to ADR once the shows are locked.

Hope springs eternal!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Argyle posted:

I can’t even begin to process the relief I’m feeling. Very eager to see the details, but it’s a very good sign that they’re willing to let us work during the ratification process.

We did it. So proud of our negotiating committee for holding the line and dealing with endless AMPTP nonsense.

Everyone I know is thrilled, except for my dog who will be quite furious that I have to leave the house regularly again.

Sorry for the ignorance, but were you staffed on a show already? Most of my friends are in post, many were locking episodes when the strike began, so they are chomping at the bit to get back in their editing rooms.

My kids are in SAG, so we are eager to see the AI concessions for WGA. They've been VFX scanned a handful of times for various projects, it makes me sick to think we may have inadvertently sold their likeness for peanuts.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Argyle posted:

I was on staff when the strike started — we were actually supposed to start a new season the same week that strike was called.

Yeah I’m eager to see the AI stuff too. This is probably the first major labor negotiation that involved the use of AI as a bargaining point, so it could end up being a framework for all kinds of future AI regulation.

Might you be on a show involving lots of little kids? If so, I had a kid in one of the classrooms for the past few years.

I sure hope you guys got everything you asked for!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

It's interesting, over the past two days there have been a few celebrities posting about their likeness being used in AI-generated online ads. One was Tom Hanks, the other Mr. Beast (the Youtube guy). Having these kinds of incidents happen during SAG negotiations has to strengthen their position, but I just worry the toothpaste is already out of the tube on this issue.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

My post friends were busy back at work doing schedules for the presumed end of the strike. LOL now they have to throw all that work out the window, but at least they are getting paid. It's amazing how much time and energy in this town is spent on busywork, writing up notes on a script that will never get made or charting out schedules for projects not yet greenlit.

The studios had a handful of projects in the can already, but had to shut down post-production due to the writers strike. Once the strike was over, they could get showrunners & writer/directors back in the editing rooms so that bought them some time to complete stuff already filmed.

Nothing was going to start production anyway, with the Thanksgiving and 2-week Christmas/New Years vacations coming up. So it's infuriating but not surprising the studios are wasting everyones time, trying to starve the actors out. Jokes on them, actors are used to being poor and barely scraping by!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Spring is already hosed. We're not getting anything new on TV until next fall.

They're buying Canadian shows!
https://deadline.com/2023/10/the-cw-picks-up-wild-cards-sight-unseen-canadian-dramas-1235571688/

Or making them in Canada!
https://deadline.com/2023/10/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-cast-1235573063/

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Ok, they are meeting over the weekend. No word on how good/bad this "last final proposal" from the AMPTP is. Hanging on by a thread over here...

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Well the deadline article I just read was giddy that the studios have backed off the AI demands, and settled on an 8% pay hike and a cut of streaming profits. Until I hear it from SAG, I am still skeptical.

EDit: Article here https://deadline.com/2023/11/actors-strike-deal-close-ai-1235595961

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't see a cut in streaming profits in there, unless I'm misreading.

"a 100% raise in performance compensation bonuses for big-budget streaming series and movies that meet certain thresholds. The guild is said to have “issues” with those benchmarks, seeing them as too high to be meaningful to many of their members."

That's part of the ironing out, whatever the profit-sharing levels the studios are offering are pretty high. I guess if you take this article at face value, it's not a traditional "cut" of streaming profits across the board.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, that's what the WGA got. It's not really a cut of profits in the way that SAG-AFTRA was asking for, where "when streamers make more money, actors make more money". It's actually a pretty janky mechanism designed to specifically insulate the streamers from having to share profits and can lead to weird situations like "if a *different* show or movie on the streamer is successful and drives a lot of sign-ups, people on *your* movie can get paid less".

Hollywood accounting, who doesn't love it?! Now they get to fudge streaming numbers AND box office numbers!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I'm holding out until SAG confirms

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Just got word the official restart for production on Abbot Elementary is 11/29, I imagine that is in line with the majority of on-lot productions spinning back up. I'm most excited to see whatever pay increases we have to look forward to!

I know my friends in post have been back to work for weeks now locking down episodes, so ADR sessions will be at a max for the next few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Today is the last day to vote, I'm sitting on ballots for my 4 kids and haven't decided if/how we will all vote. They are too young to understand this stuff to make an informed decision, and most everything I have heard/read is that it just doesn't do enough to satisfy most folks. Our family is primarily background workers, so the AI/scanning protections matter to us. Anyone have any advice or info that can inform us one way or the other?