Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Aces High posted:

That tweet about the full-body digital scanning reminds me of Bojack Horseman and how he gets fired from his dream role, only for the CGI version of himself giving a performance worthy of an Oscar nomination.

hosed up

A kids movie Oscar-level performance, no less. From a movie that had initially started out as a straightforward biopic of the rise and fall of an American athlete.

I mean, poo poo, now that can very plausibly actually happen: you bring an actor on under the false premise for one movie, then spin things around and use that footage of them to create another film that they would have never agreed to be involved with if they had known (for example: making a pro-QAnon movie with Tom Hanks as the edited-in star)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Or just publish outright bullshit numbers and the press runs with them because :shrug:

Then again, all ratings going back to the actual Nielsen boxes were just bullshit extrapolation as well.

Though wouldn’t that then put them in “actual felony fraud” territory? At least under the assumption that they’d be knowingly bullshitting investors.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/chandra7thomas/status/1681137410892255233?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

And a link to the entire chart: https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/SAG-AFTRA_Negotiations_Status_7_13_23.pdf

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m just saying, if there was ever a time to flood them with AI-generated résumés…

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

At least Eisner (indirectly) gave us Lord Fuckwad Farquuad

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/realgdt/status/1684670527145926656?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Losing 1.8 million subs is good, right? There were 4 million people who were subscribed to both HBO Max and Discovery+. When you merge the two services, you start out 4 million in the hole, so if they lost only 1.8 million that means they gained 2.2 million new people elsewhere.

Get this person into a Hollywood accounting office, STAT!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Bebop came to mind for me as well.

Say what you will about the quality of the live action version, but they at least already had a pretty solid framework of material to use as a roadmap to finish it… and Netflix couldn’t even be assed to go that far with it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Then why brag about viewership numbers in the first place if it doesn't matter? :confused:

To sucker in investors.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

At this point, I figure it’s only a matter of when one of the big streamers gets their actual internal data leaked, which then sets off a domino effect in the rest of the industry of investors trying to pull out because they now have solid evidence that the metrics they’ve been getting fed are all bullshit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Sonic the Scab

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1688989252762103813?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/iatse/status/1696194727333232698?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

Now he'll have to club us and eat our bones :ohdear:

I'll admit, I feel like a switch got pulled sometime recently (Probably something to do with the pandemic) and most of America went from "Unions slow everything down" to "Solidarity Forever" overnight. That was easy for me to notice on the ground, but billionaires can go years and sometimes decades without having a complete conversation with someone either not also a billionaire or on their payroll. They don't notice this poo poo until it's right in their faces.

Wouldn’t surprise me if hearing conservative politicians outright publicly say poo poo along the lines of “sorry, granny, but the economy is more important, please throw yourself upon the sacrificial altar” was a significant enough jolt to a lot of folks to knock them out of corporate worship.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

SWIFTLY MOVING TOWARDS A SOLUTION WHICH PLEASES NOBODY!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I imagine there's going to be a full court press to blame the lack of new TV on the strikers in the fall. Outside of losing late night TV most average folks haven't felt the impact of the strike yet - that's going to change very quickly.

Even if the studios magically caved to all of the unions’ demands tomorrow, isn’t the damage probably already done with their future lineup?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hard to say, since IIRC voice actors doing non-Union work isn’t particularly uncommon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

He probably internally justifies it by thinking he’s being a contrarian to himself.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

I'll believe it when I see the actual proposed contract, not before.

Completely fair to think that, but on the other hand, the WGA has also been pretty openly blistering towards the studios in all of this, and already publicly denounced prior offers from them. If this was a total turd, they’d probably be saying as much.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

At least for right now, exclusively using artificial “intelligence” in the creative fields to create works is going to be a dead end sooner than later, primarily because they only know how to connect things that are “supposed” to be connected together by the sum of what they’ve been fed.

In other words: it’s going to be a lot of lowest common denominator stories that get shoveled out… which then promptly eat poo poo when nobody is interested in them because they already know how the plots are going to unfold, and the characterization, worldbuilding, etc. is as spicy as expired mayonnaise.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So this round of negotiations was essentially a complete loving waste of everyone’s time, then?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

“Just think: going forward, we can have Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, etc. in every single movie we ever make from now on!”

5 years later

“How come no one wants to see all these films with the exact same actors any more?”

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

When should we expect the proposed deal to be fully available to the public?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I was kind of thinking something was up when SAG-AFTRA wasn’t rushing to get out a public summary of the deal. If it really is like that, I’m wondering what their idea is: hope that the members overwhelmingly vote against, then turn around and point to that for the studios to tell them to come up with a better offer?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

fart blood posted:

This.

I have a feeling the union will be pressured into voting for it though.

But the union has the chance to do the funniest thing right now.

You know, I was going to just make a half-facetious post about how the funniest thing would be the studios getting hit with a massive EEOC suit for having their employment rates of racial/ethnic minority actors ~*~mysteriously~*~ plummet after AI replica acting takes off… but then that got me thinking.

By the way the terms of the deal have been laid out by Justine Bateman, wouldn’t that mean that studios would retain the right for digital blackface and/or whitening without the actor’s knowledge/consent?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

But have you considered that somehow, somewhere, a line is going up for the shareholders this quarter?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And considering that’s getting into “potentially looking at decades in federal prison” territory, it’s no wonder they’re being cagier than a rabid jackal about it

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1729924204441555017?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

Zaslav continues to demonstrate that absolutely nothing has been learned from the backlash.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s like they just completely forgot that one of the whole reasons why comic book movies had such an initial great showing was because they were seen as a fresh hopping-on point after the comics themselves had gained a reputation for being impenetrable and full of self-referential stories that also became a tangle for the writers themselves.

I mean, back when I was a kid growing up with Batman TAS, that was part of the charm: pretty much every episode could be someone’s first, and they all worked as standalone stories that could quickly fill the audience in on who’s who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hell, they’d probably try to argue that just digitally touching up “your” brows in post is enough to count as a wholly separate creation that they don’t need to compensate you for way before that point