Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Anyone asking why Apple and Amazon are in the media streaming business will get it wrong if they approach it from a business perspective. Prime Video was well known to be all about Bezos’ dating life, and Tim Cook loves to go to Hollywood parties. They have other sources of money, if this gets ugly the interesting play for either of them would be to stick it to the other players and sign separately, can they do that?

Ted Sarandos is the most charismatic person I’ve seen work a room in real life, and I’ve seen Obama! He spent a lot of time convincing creative people he was on their side and now he’s burning it down, which I guess makes sense as he now has All The Money and a lot of content packed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pillowpants posted:

What are you referring to ? The theories aboUT AMC?

Goddamn anything about Citadel SECURITIES and related firms is page 3 on google & Duck Duck Go unless you search for that name exactly.

SEO poisoning is terrible, and aging GAI to the mix is only gonna make it worse.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamn nanny-era Fran Drescher was amazing as a writer/producer/actor but wow after (maybe) marrying the scumbag of the western work she started equivocating about a sag/aftra strike.

She went through some horrible poo poo, but she married one of the biggest assholes in the world that wasn’t Kirk Johnson.

Then last week she started equivocating before negotiations even started, what the hell?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Soonmot posted:

Behind the Bastards has like a five part series on Vince McMahon which I highly reccomend.

And the dude is so terrible it’s too short.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

muscles like this! posted:

Theater chains are probably looking to get bought out by a studio since the laws against that are no more.
Disney never signed the consent decree.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Timby posted:

In 1948, when the Paramount consent decrees were handed down, Disney didn't distribute their own movies. Buena Vista (Disney's distribution arm) didn't exist until 1953, and RKO Pictures still handled the bulk of Disney's distribution until 1956. So Disney never had a reason to be a signatory.
Yeah, so there's not even a legally questionable reason for Disney not to (for example) buy up Regal then replace half the screens with birthday rooms.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I hate this, as I’ve met Ted Sarandos twice now, and he is unbelievably charismatic, and I honestly thought he would break the producers’ side just to get back the love and admiration he had from creatives for most of a decade.

The crazy part is that any of the tech companies could agree to terms tomorrow at a fraction of a percent of their bottom line, and gently caress over their studio competition too. But I guess Billionaire Class Solidarity wins out. If this is really what’s going on then IATSE is gonna end up striking too, and due to the visibility maybe nothing will get settled ever, because why admit a strike can inconvenience billionaires.

Nobody making decisions for the the AMTP needs to work again, ever. This skews the way negotiations work.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mordiceius posted:

I'd be really curious to see how public opinion of the strike is over in more rural areas. …
In Indiana, but have worked on tech for production, post, or exhibition forever. Local people I’ve talked to, or describing what they heard. Some of them understand, most don’t care, yet others see writers and actors as part of the woke left coming to make their kids trans and are delighting. Also ignorant techbros that think ai will do it all eventually anyway.

Nobody that hasn’t seen it seems to understand that a film set can feel like a factory floor, or fast food restaurant with no fixed schedule where you don’t know your shift until the manager calls, cranking out as much as they can get in as little time and for the least money possible. The utter insane bullshit that writers go through where e.g. finishing a feature script is only the beginning of the process is alien.

Talking is good, forwarding Adam Conover stuff was great for the one person that watched it and got back to me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gaz-L posted:

To a degree but a large chunk of the potential audience has seen these shows and I'm not sure how this impacts residuals for people involved in those shows.

Actual residuals I’m guessing!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Feldegast42 posted:

I hope there is something more concrete there otherwise all the strike did was give the writers a slightly nicer severance package for the next few years as AI eliminates the industry
It will only eliminate the industry if the studios actually try to use it, as it will fail miserably.

I like this clause, as it sets a precedent that permission is required, thus helping to gently caress with the other LLMs that don't get it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I had zero problems with the Rogue One Carrie Fisher. Recognized her immediately, got the point of the whole movie, thought it worked great.

The Peter Cushing on the other hand, ugh, I wondered throughout the movie why this cartoon vaguely alien dude was treated like somebody with history. And I know Cushing by sight better than 99% of the damned audience, having seen many a Hammer horror movie in my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Though-out TV history they’d do ‘movies of the week’ on summer nights when nobody watched tv and they’d show all kinds of crap they bought and didn’t want to use.