Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You love to see it. God drat, labor finally remembering they have capital by the short ones is a sentiment that we all need to have forty years ago, but I'll settle for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shook.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We already pay you too much. That's why none of you have more than a few months' savings!

Wait.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm in the (sadly, not unionized) VFX industry, mainly television work. Writing is at the start of the process, we're in the middle/end.

The TV VFX industry has been absolutely decimated by the writer's strike. Smaller to mid-sized VFX companies have been laying off a ton of their staff as work dries up, and there are no hiring positions out there - feels like the first months of lockdown and Covid as things shutdown and there are no protocols in place.

The unfortunate thing I'm seeing, especially on LinkedIn, is a growing resentment towards the writers being on strike for "so long". There's a small contingent of "just put up with it, you see us in VFX putting up with garbage, you take the garbage too, you're being selfish". It's a tiny, tiny movement, but it sucks that it's only been something like 2-3 months and VFX people are already feeling confident enough to post it.
I really don't understand why IATSE don't just fold in vfx artists. They're set builders, makeup artists, and countless other things that are already in the union. Doing that poo poo digitally shouldn't exempt you, and they'd get a huge influx of dues-paying members and would be huge fuckin' heroes.

thrawn527 posted:

Remember when everyone was praising this guy's return to Disney like he was some great savior? Or did that not extend outside of Florida?
Jason is the babyface in the Jason vs. Freddy fight, but that didn't make him a good dude.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

Adding VFX artists under the same agreement would make it even harder to represent members well, because everybody's specific concerns would get further diluted. VFX artists have a lot to gain from unionisation, but just jumping into the IATSE fold seems like the wrong approach to me.
IATSE almost certainly folded in too many groups that should have their own unions, but "it'd be hard" isn't really a great reason for not representing people who do the very things your union is for, presently.

Yes, it'd be nice for VFX to have their own union, but when there's an apparatus that already covers the things that they do and/or are replacing, that's the one they should be in right now.

There won't be makeup artsits once, and this is not far off, you can just hit the "make everybody up properly" button. So I don't see how pitting the non-union VFX industry and artists against makeup artists, which is what is happening right now, is better than having them in the same union.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ron. Fuckin. Perlman.

Gods, he's awesome. :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The entertainment industry isn't going anywhere, y'all. We don't need to game out what a VFX artist will do when there are no more need for them, and it's weird, though unsurprising, that we can entertain this possibility at all, much less find it likelier than paying workers a living wage.

Life is loving ridiculous.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

You just KNOW the first thing this would be used for would be to put actressses who have "No nudity" clauses into nude scenes.
They'd want to. But they wouldn't do it first. They'd slowly erode decency until it seemed normal like predatory microtransactions in games.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If the contract forces them to release real numbers, they gotta' release real numbers. So, yeah. I hope that happens. This "nothing has ever made any money ever and we just make movies out of looooooove" bullshit was counteracted by people taking points on the gross instead of the net, but when you don't know what the viewership numbers even are, you have zero leverage, so it would behoove the guilds to demand this poo poo.

loving Star Wars still hasn't turned a profit on paper.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

That brings up a good question: how do you judge viewership for a streaming series? Minutes watched? Minutes watched per episode? Say what you will about Nielsen ratings, at least everyone agrees what it measures.
The Youtube model. Raw number of views, time watched, and viewer retention across episodes and seasons.

They have better data than studios have literally ever had ever. This isn't a small sampling of people filling out notebooks of what they watched, representing thousands and thousands of people where ad rates (and thus, revenue) are only measured four times per year on sweeps weeks. It's actual, real data that represents exactly what people who pay for your service are paying for.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Which is precisely why the unions should be forcing them to do it.

This opportunity won't come up again for at least a decade, most likely. It's time to fight for actual systemic change now that you've got the executives looking like douchebags to their real customers: investors.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because Hulk Hogan ratted out Jesse Ventura when he was forming one in the 80s wrestling boom.

Hogan is a fuckin' prick.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They also don't consider wrestlers employees, but independent contractors instead. Allowing to skirt all sorts of labor regulations.
And if you know anything about how the industry works, they have literally nothing at all in common with actual independent contractors.

They're locked into exclusive contracts, can't take work out of their industry without WWE taking a cut (including loving Twitch streaming,) are told how to dress when off the clock, can't take breaks or vacations, often even when injured, they have no-compete clauses in their contracts so they can't go work for competitors for a while after they get shitcanned...

It's a poo poo loving industry that needs to unionize forty years ago.

Edit: They pay all of their own travel expenses including flights and hotels, they rent their own cars, they're punished if they fly first class, and if you don't follow weird obtuse social rituals nobody tells them about like introducing yourself to literally everybody and shaking their hand at their first show (but like, limply. A firm handshake is not okay in wrestling at all,) and eating too much in catering is frowned upon if you're only in for one or two shows... jesus, we could be here all day.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 20, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fez_machine posted:

Because of Hollywood production times and schedules, plus the ability to create non-union or non-striking union (including internationally) products, a lot of the pain is in the relatively distant future. So the bosses can just put things off for a while on the hope that they can rush production to fill in the gap caused by the strike, or have enough back log just to wait 'em out. Fortunately, actors are actually important to the promotion of the shows and movies unlike writers so there's some more immediate pain coming down the pike.
Yup. The studios are beholden to stockholders. What happens to your stock when you don't have products to sell?

They've got the studios by the balls here. Not the other way around. And it's not like the old days where everybody was living high on the hog, comparably speaking, to the rest of us. Most actors and writers make less than a waiter right now. They can keep striking and probably make more.

You can't wait out people who don't actually need you to survive anymore because you got so greedy that you pay less than waiting tables.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cheesus posted:

With the rumor of Max removing shows like Venture Bros, and if checking Wikipedia to see many more episodes of Righteous Gemstones before I cancel, I came across this on Valyn Hall's (Aunt Tiffany) page:
Pissing off the fandoms of much-beloved shows sure seems like a great way to get the public on your side!

Though, in this case, not the Publick.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doesn't Neilsen track streaming now? That's enough for competitors to know what's working, even if they don't have all the data.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

so guessing he had a better deal than present day writers.
I worked with an actor in 2001 who supported himself mostly by playing Cop #3 in things, and when I asked how it works, he told me he was in "some loving Disney monkey movie" and got enough in risiduals for his like ten lines that he could live pretty cheaply on the risiduals, which gave him the space to pursue more roles without having to hold down a day job.

Those days are super over and they very much need not to be. It's not the actors' fault you're not monetizing your poo poo properly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If that happens, it won't matter that he donated the least. He'll be able to take credit for all of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Granted, I'm only going by memory and anecdotal evidence here, but the last strike seemed to have a hell of a lot more "those greedy fucks" going toward the artists than the executives where said sentiment belonged, and the fact that this has changed so dramatically in the intervening years feels like a hell of a good sign that a labor rights movement could actually claw back a lot of the damage done since Reagan killed unions dead.

Feels like people are just waiting for somebody to ask them to join up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Even with the Hollywood press in the tank for them. It's bananas.

:dance:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not in the industry, but it's kind of insane that animation writers weren't already part of the Writer's Guild of America, right?
There's literally no good reason why they shouldn't have been from the start.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That man is so good at his job.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because vertical integration worked so loving well the last time.

God dammit, I'm tired of this planet moving backwards.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zesty posted:

This would come into play in being hired for future projects, right? Is he just tanking his career here?
Pretty sure they're blacklisting scabs, so he's fuckin' done. That's the end of his career in union productions.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've never heard of the guy until this week and I've been on Youtube the whole time, so it hasn't pushed it on everybody.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Tbh I don’t think the public cares about these strikes
Far more do than ever have, and unlike the last two strikes, they're siding with the workers getting hosed.

People have woken up to capitalism being bullshit in a way we've not seen in my lifetime.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's one of like two fields total where you can become wealthy. Every other job that'll pay you that much requires you to have already started there.

That they've taken one of the only .000001% aspirational moonshots away that they were using to convince the rest of us "see? It's possible to come from nothing and get rich! Only in America!" is loving staggering. They're never satisfied with eating the whole loving pie. All they can focus on is how unfair it is that some freeloader who did all the work got the crumbs that were rightfully theirs.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Palmtree Panic posted:

Netflix renewing Glow and then cancelling it made me just kind of give up on their service.
I cancelled when they went released, then defended Dave Chapelle's "comedy" special where he spent no poo poo 40 minutes making GBS threads on trans people, but the GLOW decision definitely played a big part too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My favorite part about the two-day shipping is that it usually takes like six days even if you live in the same loving city as the company. But at least it's cheaper than paying for shipping on a per-item basis.

But yeah, I subscribed for that and not their video, which I almost never use.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ironhead posted:

Where are you that you find the shipping times that bad? I can get free same day shipping on alot of stuff.
Literally Seattle.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's what it seems like to me, but we'll see what they do this go-round.

They've been counting on a hell of a lot of things that haven't happened, though, so it really does feel to me like the investors have started seeing the writing on the wall. This little gambit where the studios and streamers thought they could just wait this out and the writers would starve failed to take into account that there are money people bigger than themselves to whom they must answer, and a company with no product is far less profitable than one with a union deal that wasn't everything they wanted, but still produces goods to be sold.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was in IATSE, but it was as a projectionist, and that job stopped being a job quite some time ago and our local was really small and powerless besides.

But good news! You don't have to know poo poo or have a personal stake in anything to not side with moneygrubbing ghouls over workers!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If they offer 4 and you ask for 6, you absolutely expected 5.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yep. They'd started to put whole episodes on their own websites before the last strike and getting them to pay one tiny little bit was this huge sticking point. They kept insisting that being able to watch all of LOST on the ABC website was "just for promotional purposes."

The issue was largely can-kicked down the road and now here we are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The first one to cave might get to start making content first, but the people who make the decision will make some loving powerful enemies that day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I agree with you, but both in law and in social circles, the rich only face consequences when they gently caress with other rich people.

Hating each other already is one thing. They're all still on the same team. To their minds, this would be somebody on their team sticking a knife in their back.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"They're literally trying to replace workers with robots" hits loving everybody where they live, save, like, 1%ers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All-too-common, sadly.

I'm with your dad in that I won't play ball on that poo poo and only use the real checkout lanes, but I have no illusions that it'll change a fuckin' thing aside from helping me sleep at night.

I threw a big shitfit to the manager of my local grocery store when they started charging a quarter to use a shopping cart, though, because, in his words, "too many homeless people were stealing them," and I have to imagine a lot of other people did too, 'cause that policy only lasted about a month.

Too bad all of America didn't throw a big fit when they started making us do the checkers' jobs, but I have a feeling the fact that we didn't and now the lines irritatingly long at every store because they only ever have like a single checker no matter how busy it is isn't a factor here.

If people are gonna' keep waking up to capitalism being bullshit, as they have been in the last decade with no signs of it slowing down, it's gonna' be a bunch of little stuff like that chipping away at their dogma.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thou shalt not bite the hand that feeds you, said people who only fed you half of a tic tac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've been saying this exact thing for five years. "At some point some bean counter will decide to bundle all this poo poo together and we'll just have cable again."

I wish I could be happy about being right about a thing, but... fehhhh.