Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Take 'em for everything you can, writers. :hai:

Happy Landfill posted:

I hope they get everything they're demanding. In fact, I hope they get more.

:agreed::hf::same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's straight up bad cartoon villain evil scheming, Jesus Christ :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"small changes to dialogue or narration"

That's loving WRITING for gently caress's sake! :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah SAG-AFTRA, wish that the DGA had come along for the ride too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"These guys are so poorly paid by us that they can't afford to strike for too long to complain about how poorly we pay them! There's no ironic twist or joke to this statement, I am just a monstrous, soulless piece of poo poo!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yes to the strike, and the best of luck to all of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Didn't the US Copyright Office come to a (temporary?) conclusion that material created by AI, even with a human "co-creator", can't be copyrighted in the standard way? I see that (sadly) probably having more of a chilling effect on use of AI than the concerns/arguments around fair payment for writers/artists if a studio can't maintain an iron grip on sole commercial use of a "creation".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for that, it's a really good explanation!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timby posted:

Solidarity forever, for the union makes us strong.

:hai:

Really hoping there is some public backlash to the studios and nobody buys into any stupid anti-Union bullshit - this is a real chance to make lasting and vitally needed changes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What a loving joke, Jesus Christ.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Whatever his motivation, it's a good thing that is going to help a lot of people which in turn will help to keep the pressure on the studios.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From that article:

quote:

A job posting by the company Realeyes offers slightly more than that: $300 for two hours of work “express[ing] different emotions” and “improvis[ing] brief scenes” to “train an AI database to better express human emotions.”

Realeyes develops technology to measure attention and reactions by users to video content. While the posting doesn’t mention work with streaming companies, a video on Realeyes’s website prominently features the logos for Netflix and Hulu.

The posting is specially catered to attract striking workers, stressing that the gig is for “research” purposes and therefore “does not qualify as struck work”

Absolute loving ghouls.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What a huge loving rear end in a top hat :sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah Fran went from "Eh, I don't think we need to strike, the WGA's got this covered" to "gently caress THE CORPORATE OVERLORDS, BILLIONAIRE BLOOD! :byodame:" in the span of like a month.

Wow, who would have thought that the girl just described, was just exactly what the doctor prescribed? :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

In this version, Fran drags Maxwell out of his house and into the street where an angry mob beats him to death for being a rich rear end AMPTP member.

I'm not normally for gritty reboots but.... :frogon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

It's still kind of wild that the live action Cowboy Bebop went form apparently breaking all sorts of viewership records for Netflix and debuting in their #1 slot to "Yeah, we just cancelled it. Goodbye." in practically a single week. And that was irrespective of whatever terrible quality it might have had or the shitstorm around it during its debut from anime fans and chuds alike (though I repeat myself).

Netflix is just bonkers, top to bottom.

I'm really curious how they're going to deal with their One Piece adaptation, which seems doomed just from how difficult it is going to be to adapt the source material, the stink of Bebop as the previous big adaptation still being about, the gigantic budget etc. The latest trailer made it look like it might be okay as opposed to a complete disaster, but as the Cowboy Bebop example shows, it doesn't matter if it is the top ranked show with the highest viewership on Netflix, that's no guarantee it won't be unceremoniously canceled and how the gently caress does anybody exist in that kind of uncertainty?

Barry's episode with Sally's show getting canceled by the algorithm looks more and more realistic every day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I think it was earlier in this thread that somebody posted a tweet noting that the issue for the streamers in releasing their numbers is that it will reveal either:

Their viewership numbers are high and they owe millions (probably far more than that) in residuals they just.... haven't been paying.

OR

Their viewership numbers loving suck and the feasibility of streaming as a platform just isn't there and their share price will absolutely tank.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 6, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

xeria posted:

to this:

Read that last tweet like it was J.D Salinger in Bojack Horseman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yes! Do it! gently caress yes!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Adam Scott smiling but wearing sunglasses to hide the fact that he still doesn't "get" Li'l Sebastian.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sounds somewhat promising!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sounds somewhat less promising!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, they just hosed up and didn't notice they were also interviewing Donald Kaufman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

That is literally their reason for existing. As I understand it the strikes in the 60s were a nightmare for the studios because the unions were able to negotiate with them individually and chip away, so the AMPTP was formed to prevent that from happening again.

Studios: Hmmm, apart we're weaker but together we're stronger? Let's unite together so together we are united and can present a united front that makes us strong through our united status. Then we can defeat the evil that is a Union forever!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I knew about the Penguin show but there’s going to be an It prequel?

Coked out TV Exec: We gotta do something that's never been done before. Imagine IT.... but set in the 1950s!

Edit: Oh my God I just read up on it and it's legit set in the 1960s? :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is it kid actors again? Would be hilarious if they had to shoot earlier scenes around sudden growth spurts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

No it’s about the lovely town and it takes place before and it sounds dope. I don’t get the hate.

More skarsgard pennywise is great.

Oh it wasn't hate, just surprise to learn it existed and also finding it ironic that the "prequel" is still set AFTER the timeframe from the original book.

Also a little bit of trepidation I guess. I loved the first part of the new IT films but the second was a deep disappointment.

Gotta figure that Netflix for example ain't happy they haven't really been able to properly cash in on the surprisingly positive reception and popularity of One Piece, especially considering how much money it cost to make.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AMPTP: We all agreed our latest offering is too good for them to pass up. What we're offering is nothing. Absolutely nothing. Maybe they have to pay us money instead? Yeah gently caress it, let's go with that. Man this is gonna work out great!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AMPTP:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fingers crossed it works out, anything less than everything they asked for is less than they deserve, but if its a good deal it's a good deal!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Holy poo poo I almost forgot about that. What a loving wild ride this has been.

I still remember people saying - quite reasonably! - "Hey they don't get to make decisions like that, it has to go through the City Council, so this was probably just incredibly bad timing" and then nope it turns out the studio was just straight up doing some Captain Planet Cartoon Villain bullshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's behind a paywall so I can't read the details but my surface level reaction is a giant yikes, the studios are going to absolutely gently caress them on that 100% no doubt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

For example, it has absolutely no concept of truth, and will merrily lie about anything

Wow, no wonder execs are so enamored with it! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well done to the WGA, and I hope SAG-AFTRA also gets the best deal possible, and soon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if this is part of it....the studios don't understand that they have hosed over the actors/writers for so long that they are used to it and they can't be broken because they have nothing to lose

I think somebody posted a tweet earlier in the thread from an actor pointing out that (at that time at least) the strike had lasted less time that it took them to get their payment for the last work they had done on a production. It literally is a situation of "they've made us so poor and been so stingy about actually paying us for work that we've figured out how to survive for months at a time without money coming in."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

Pretty sure Step 2 is already a thing and Step 3 is just around the corner, they're just waiting for the technology to improve enough to make it more viable. I remember reading something a couple years back about how some studio had purchased the rights to digitally recreate James Dean from his estate and use him in future movies.

I think it was Michael Douglas who recently did an interview where he said something like nowadays it isn't just thinking about what money/physical possessions you leave your family when you die, but also making it clear what you want done with your likeness rights since the studios are gonna try and get away with puppeteering your digital corpse and if it is going to happen the least you can do is make sure your family are getting paid for it.

Which is... you know, loving terrifying.

Hell, it's not even like studios haven't been trying to exploit dead celebrities for decades now. This aired 26 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkdirL0YxHE&t=48s

This was over 30 years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP30ph6jcHE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last one looks like how in I want to say, 1996, when Star Trek Deep Space Nine was airing, they inserted the actors into the old original series episode 'The Trouble With Tribbles'.

They used the Forest Gump technology I think? Which I remember feeling like an amazing thing at the time but looks kind of quaint by comparison to the insane things they can do now with digital likenesses, especially the lip synching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWd3T1xjec&t=24s

feedmyleg posted:

Fred Astaire selling vacuum cleaners in a superbowl was the real start of it all, and what got thr legal rights conversation going.

I'd never seen that before, but oof yeah that's pretty awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6k5Abmjin4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Impeach Churchill!" is a phenomenal line, delivered perfectly at exactly the right time to enhance the scene without making it all about Homer.

That golden run of The Simpsons is about as strong an argument as you can make for the importance of writers!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To bring things slightly more back on topic, Maude being killed off on The Simpsons was a direct result of a pay dispute wasn't it? To the point that there's a joke in one of the later seasons where Homer is sobbing about how he wishes he was rich and gets progressively more upset as he sees the names of the executive producers in the credits and is despairing at how rich they are.... then the voice actors names come up and he goes,"Oh those people are rich too.... not as rich as they should be...." before wailing in pure horror when Matt Groening's name comes up.

It was funny, but also... yeah, The Simpons - particularly back then - was a cultural juggernaut and merchandising machine creating enormous wealth and the voice actors deserved more than they were getting given the show's success was built off of their performances in addition to the phenomenal writing. Killing off one of them who stuck to her guns was a bullshit move designed to cow the rest of them into submission. Boo :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bradley Walsh was one of the best things about the last 3 seasons of Doctor Who (which sadly isn't saying much, they wasted Jodie Whittaker :smith:)