Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can only guiltily kill so many people before everyone figures out you're just an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think that resorting on killing and being then tormented by guilt for it is a fine narrative arc for Superman (it can work only once though). I would be way more skeptical of a Superman that consistently kills in cold blood with little remorse.

Ok? This Superman doesn’t kill in cold blood without remorse either

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Could superman kill a dog if it was really evil?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think that resorting on killing and being then tormented by guilt for it is a fine narrative arc for Superman (it can work only once though). I would be way more skeptical of a Superman that consistently kills in cold blood with little remorse.

What if he kills the same guy twice?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alexander Hamilton posted:

What if he kills the same guy twice?

It depends on if he feels more or less guilty about it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One thing I think that some people get up and arms about is that these Marvel films kind of conditioned a whole lot of people that sequels don't really matter. Not much, if anything, carries over between those films. Minor details perhaps. The strongest one was Infinity War > Endgame and Infinity War is the grimest grimdark film ever made. The Russo Bros think we should kill half the universe to save resources and whatnot.

Nah, we don't think that. It's an absurd thought. There's a sequel coming. If only those Superman films were afforded such a benefit. MoS > BvS > ZSJL have character arcs that extend beyond their films. You can't appreciate Batman saying "Faith, Alfred. Faith!" unless you see him at his absolute lowest point. He even ends BvS saying "Men are still good" after spending the entire film assuming that even if there's a 1% chance of someone is evil that it's absolutely certain they are. Their only misstep, and it was something Cavill said he wanted to explore in just about every interview he did at that time, was not exploring Zod's death haunting Superman. But BvS did deal with his lingering doubts of "am I doing heroism right?" while the 24-hour news continue to get more the sensationalist (ending with them saying he was responsible for the bombing) and his heroics having a sort of divisive effect.

I adore these films a ton. They have issues and some scenes or beats I think don't work. Sometimes the editing can be pretty abrupt or... off. But ho boy, we won't see them like this for a very long time. I'm harder on Superman Legacy online than here but I really want to give that film the benefit but it's going to be everything people wanted from MoS, or specifically Superman, and it's going to be terrible. Written by online social media consensus. It'll make Returns look like a piece of high art.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I will never bury my shame. This is the last time I ever kill a living being. Ever!

*two more Zods appear*

Aw, fiddlesticks.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Clark would've spared Faora.
"This is your ghost dad speaking. gently caress them kids, you can fix her."

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

McCloud posted:

Ok? This Superman doesn’t kill in cold blood without remorse either

Yeah. So?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Hey now, Homelander is great

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
ok I get it, he saw a script with the Martha lines and was like this is it. So once Snyder was out of Frank Miller and Alan Moore material he fell off as a film maker

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Space Fish posted:

Clark would've spared Faora.
"This is your ghost dad speaking. gently caress them kids, you can fix her."

:respek:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1647604800329072642

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I will never bury my shame. This is the last time I ever kill a living being. Ever!

*two more Zods appear*

Aw, fiddlesticks.

One, two Zods say kneel before me
That what they said now

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 12, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Worse than the time he had to kill the twin clone Hitlers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

*two more Zods appear*

Aw, fiddlesticks.

thankfully zod is a symbol of the last remnants of kryptonian society, so killing him puts to bed the chance of krypton or some sort of element derived from the planet krypton coming back to cause problems. now let me take a big sip of water before i read the name of the element that's superman's critical weakness-

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

2house2fly posted:

People keep saying this and it makes me angry! The line in the movie didn't refer to death but to evil! It meant nobody is beyond redemption! Grr!

in the trailer, however

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Miching Mallecho posted:

Also Batman killed in Batman Begins and no one ever really talks about that, I guess because he said "I'm not going to kill you but I'm not going to save you either" which is still killing a guy

So I laughed a lot in dark knight when he kept talking about his "one rule" as if Begins was a fuzzy memory :yayclod:

https://youtu.be/B0C-DVnPeVM?si=quwyzybhdgq2Yl8M

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Miching Mallecho posted:

Also Batman killed in Batman Begins and no one ever really talks about that, I guess because he said "I'm not going to kill you but I'm not going to save you either" which is still killing a guy

So I laughed a lot in dark knight when he kept talking about his "one rule" as if Begins was a fuzzy memory :yayclod:

He killed Harvey Dent too. This guy can run and jump out of a building after someone has already fallen out of it and catch up and save that person with the bathook or whatever as we see earlier in the movie like c'mon he totally murdered Dent.

IIRC in Begins Nolan originally was going to have him leave as more of a sudden "oh gently caress it's really about to crash now I gotta get outta here" thing but it was mandated that he has to have some kind of final line against the bad guy.

People will say Superman II is the best Superman movie and Superman and Lois gleefully murder Zod/etc. in that AFTER THEY'VE BEEN REDUCED TO HAVE THE POWER OF JUST REGULAR HUMANS!

Some people will say Batman Returns is the best Batman movie (I mean it is but bear with me) and Batman just absolutely OBLITERATES fools in that flick.

I feel like it just further vindicates how if Man of Steel was the exact same movie but at the end before snapping Zod's neck there was a pause and he said "You're a real pain in the neck!" before doing it people would have universally loved it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People have been mad ever since Snyder made zombies run fast, AND THEN all these years later he made Justice League and Zombie Superman runs even FASTER

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Martman posted:

Could superman kill a dog if it was really evil?

playtime's over, zod

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like it just further vindicates how if Man of Steel was the exact same movie but at the end before snapping Zod's neck there was a pause and he said "You're a real pain in the neck!" before doing it people would have universally loved it.

For the longest time, I don't know why but I had it in my brain that Man of steel came out BEFORE avengers but it was the opposite and now I understand why MOS made so many people react weird to the destruction.

There were actual characters in danger, the scene with Perry and Jenny still tears me up, and you see crowds reacting to the destruction.

But with Avengers, you got every building getting hosed up, hulk is loving poo poo up, and then there's the scene with captain America and that idiot cop "coordinating" rescue operations which was meant to be the "don't worry kids, everyone is going to be fine. Only boo-boos", laughable, and the ending with people saying the avengers were heroes with New York in rubble :lol:

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 12, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hulk should have caused a 27/33 for every 9/11 Superman caused

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish man of steel had an actual epilogue to the final battle instead of that stupid drone scene.

I still don’t like it but as far as destruction complaints that would’ve gone a long way. He did a perfect one in watchmen where you see the city being rebuilt in the distance and that’s enough

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Superman and Batman kill in most mediums. Comics, cartoons, movies, placemats etc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Neo Rasa posted:

He killed Harvey Dent too. This guy can run and jump out of a building after someone has already fallen out of it and catch up and save that person with the bathook or whatever as we see earlier in the movie like c'mon he totally murdered Dent.
"Killing is making a choice." Batman chose to save Gordon's son rather than Dent, he's only got one pair of hands etc. Of course he could have not knocked him off the edge, but then the kid might have got shot. It's another Zod snap, the least bad option available

CelticPredator posted:

I wish man of steel had an actual epilogue to the final battle instead of that stupid drone scene.

I still don’t like it but as far as destruction complaints that would’ve gone a long way. He did a perfect one in watchmen where you see the city being rebuilt in the distance and that’s enough
with a bunch of Veidt logos on all the construction equipment no less!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, I don't think MoS needs a Snyder style extra 30 minute cut but an extra 3 might tighten the experience.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Eh I like Man of Steel ending a lot. We just saw Superman make the hard choice to defend people over his morals/past. We know he's going to be there for them now no matter the future. So music swells to "what are you going to do when not saving the world."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's ok, Doomsday actually didn't die.

Doomsday died and resurrected, there's a difference.

Neo Rasa posted:

People will say Superman II is the best Superman movie and Superman and Lois gleefully murder Zod/etc. in that AFTER THEY'VE BEEN REDUCED TO HAVE THE POWER OF JUST REGULAR HUMANS!

I had someone on twitter argue that that was fine because the Donner Cut fixed it when Superman went back in time and undid everything, as if orders of magnitude more people hadn't seen the original version and were just fine with Superman throwing a powerless Zod into a bottomless pit with an actual smile. Comic fans are ill and canon is the disease.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

checkplease posted:

Eh I like Man of Steel ending a lot. We just saw Superman make the hard choice to defend people over his morals/past. We know he's going to be there for them now no matter the future. So music swells to "what are you going to do when not saving the world."

My brain doesn’t buy it. It doesn’t feel hopeful to me and it never will.

BvS is better to me because Batman’s pov is in line with how I feel with what Superman did lol

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

BvS is better to me because Batman’s pov is in line with how I feel with what Superman did lol

You understand that Batman’s POV in the film is wrong…right? Like as everyone has been saying the text of BvS is that Batman has gone off the wagon due to a completely wrong misconception of Superman and is the villain?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

CelticPredator posted:

I really like the score so that connection locks in for me. But I also do really love how BvS begins and connects it all from the other less idealist perspective. Shocked and angry Ben rules there.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

BvS is the best possible American remake of Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

You understand that Batman’s POV in the film is wrong…right? Like as everyone has been saying the text of BvS is that Batman has gone off the wagon due to a completely wrong misconception of Superman and is the villain?

Yes. I’m aware.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Batman should have invested in an XCOM squad, then maybe Beavis would have been a good movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Batman should have invested in an XCOM squad, then maybe Beavis would have been a good movie
"If we believe there's even a one percent that shot will hit us, we have to take it as an absolute certainty"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

No Luck Needed posted:

not killing is what makes them heroes. When you have all the power that superman does, not killing is what makes his actions to defeat villains heroic. In theory, not in practice, Batman wants to help reform his villains. By making them killers it takes away the hero aspect of super-heroes and just makes them super-beings. Why would the world celebrate superman as a hero if he was a killer?

lmao

get his rear end

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

okay, double lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Martman posted:

"If we believe there's even a one percent that shot will hit us, we have to take it as an absolute certainty"

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RBA Starblade posted:

Isn't that just Kill The Justice League?