Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
(Most of OP shamelessly pilfered from Spoaenk's 2022 OP)

A way to get even angrier about numbers than looking at a US hospital bill!

Free League Hosting Services
  • Sleeper: Gunning for the #1 spot. A dedicated fantasy football platform that has lots of pretty colors and makes team management easy to use. It also has some really weird stuff like mascots that I'm sure they don't want anymore. My preferred platform because it's so drat easy to use.
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It also hasn't been updated since Matthew Berry had a full head of hair.
  • CBS: One of the old-school free league sites There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: I like Yahoo! the best, but a lot of people complain about their interface being clunky.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, but it's awful. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
  • Fantrax: A lot of people have been complaining that MFL sucks but is the only option for salary keeper leagues. Don't use Fantrax if you can help it, it was a nice in-between from MFL to Sleeper but its time is gone.

Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league website and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year. The insanely specific user interface is usually quite overwhelming at first. If you're running a redraft league, this is a bit like using an uzi to open a beer can. Too much power for what you need.

Useful Free Resources
  • Football Absurdity Goon-run fantasy football site that hosts Beersheets.
  • NBC Rotoworld Sports Edge: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally, I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.

Best Stat Resources (Friends Don't Let Friends Use PFF)
  • The Edge: Amazing stat analysis tool that has recently taken the fantasy world by storm.
  • Pro Football Reference: The Mac Daddy of football stat sites. They're dipping their toe in advanced stats but their data there isn't the best. Stathead is a great resource for running queries to find the player splits to prove your point but it costs money.
  • PlayerProfiler.com: An extremely slick interface that lets you look at a player to get basically all the information you might need in an easily readable package. It charts stuff like PFF but uses it for a fantasy football slant. The owner is insanely brash but the site is A+. It has a pay option that lets you run (easy to use) queries to get the stats in spreadsheet format instead of player-by-player. That's some real sicko poo poo though (it's me I'm sicko)
  • BRotoFantasy.com: Has free tools that gain you access to other advanced stats. I particularly like Rush Yyards Over Expectation per attempt.
  • DynastyLeagueFootball: Has some great tools after purchasing FFStatistics a few years ago. Kind of starting to go by the wayside but there's no better site for historical week-to-week rankings or splits data.
  • Sharp Football Stats: Lets you find stuff like % of team pass plays in 13 personnel. Real sicko hours.

Useful Premium Resources (just copied and pasted from the 2020 iteration of this thread, not my opinions, though My Playbook is an incredibly powerful multi-league management tool.
  • Rotopass: A group rate for multiple sites; Footballguys, Rotowire, ESPN Insider, RosterWatch, RotoViz, Fantasy Insiders, and $10 credit to FanDuel and DRAFT.
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Three guys with a great podcast and an extremely comprehensive draft guide.
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • FantasyPros: The standard for fantasy data aggregation, and you can pay for access to a roster management and mock draft package called My Playbook that is very helpful.

Useful League Resources
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. Good for putting an IRL draft on a TV screen for easy reference.

ADP, Rankings and Projections

Podcasts
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Has basically become the default fantasy football podcast, featuring three guys who are full time fantasy nuts. Decent balance of humor and conversation, although they get a bit repetitive and I find a lot of their opinions to be rather knee-jerk rather than insightful.
  • The Audible: Footballguys has a regular podcast that combines a healthy amount of insight, injury help with Dr. Jene Bramel, and they're very football-focused if you prefer that to other podcasts that have gimmicks or gags.
  • CBS Fantasy Football Today: Another high tier podcast that balances humor and insight, with multiple perspectives and a decent amount of access thanks to their CBS affiliation. They also have a Fantasy Football in Five edition that is essentially a short version of the main episode.
  • 4For4 Most Accurate Podcast: John Paulsen has repeatedly won awards for accuracy, and he provides a ton of information in a condensed amount of time. The mood is light and never boring, and at only 30 minutes per episode it's short and to the point.
  • Around The NFL: Although not technically a fantasy-specific podcast, they have a lot of useful information and provide a pretty cool insight into the workings of NFL media. They also seem to get a ton of really cool guests and the conversation is surprisingly candid. This has been my favorite podcast for years. RIP Wess.
  • ESPN Fantasy Focus Football: Small indie podcast by some guy who was an extra in Avengers once.

Twitter Follows
Here's an updated twitter list for fantasy:

Beat Writer Aggregator
@32BeatWriters

Real NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter
@rapsheet

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom - Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman - Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel - MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice
Not Dov Kleiman

The Fantasy Footballers - some people don't like them (too much fluff) but they are insanely accurate
@JasonFFL
@AndyHolloway
@ffhitman

CBS Sports
@DaveRichard - might be the nicest guy in fantasy
@JameyEisenberg - doesn't sleep
@HeathCummingssr - contrarian takes
@CTowersCBS - mix baseball/football
@AdamAizer - Trash takes

ESPN
@MikeClayNFL - The only one worth your time on their godawful analysis network
@StephaniaESPN - ok, Stephania Bell is good, too.

NFL
@GreggRosenthal - Former Rotoworld writer, great real life football knowledge
@AdamRank - Fantasy Analyst
@MarcasG - Fantasy Analyst
@MichaelFFlorio - Fantasy Analyst

NBC Sports Edge (current and former)
@LordReebs
@JoshNorris
@EvanSilva - The GOAT
@RotoPat - The guy who writes the funny Rotoworld blurbs
@CDCarter13 - FF #taeks and owning the ilbs

Yahoo!
@scott_pianowski
@AndyBehrens - boring
@LizLoza_FF
@MattHarmon_BYB - The Reception Perception guy.
@YahooNoise - Accurate/ballsy, but can take over a twitter feed

Misc. Writers/PFF Guys
@friscojosh - The Airyards Guy. Kind of an rear end in a top hat but has great WR insight
@LateRoundQB - JJ Zachariason, Editor-in-Chief at Fanduel & Numberfire
@ChrisRaybon - DFS Expert, but gives some good insight
@ScottBarrettDFB - Head PFF Fantasy Analyst, extraordinarily good info
@MikeTagliereNFL - lead NFL Writer, Fantasypros (RIP Tags)
@Allinkid - Lead Writer, The Athletic Fantasy
@4for4_John - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@TJHernandez - DFS Director, 4for4
@HarrisFootball

Introduction - lifted directly from Beer because this is all good stuff!
Fantasy football does something amazing for sports fans in that it can make any game interesting. Two 0-5 teams across the country from you squaring off? Well if you have one of their quarterbacks, you will be pounding the table and screaming at the game until they kick you out of the bar.

Basically, you put together a team of individual players from around the league, then score points based on their performance on the football field. Lots of stuff can score points, like gaining yards and catching passes, so there's room for excitement during every single play.

The cycle of an NFL week provides a great framework for fantasy football. Most fantasy leagues are set up where each player plays another every week, and whoever has the highest total once the Monday night game ends gets the win. The playoffs happen during the last few weeks of the NFL regular season (although week 17 is a severely unpopular week for fantasy championships, because playoff-bound teams often rest their best players.)

Pretty much, if you like football and watching football, you will most likely love fantasy. If you never have before, give it a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has en`ded every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Advice:
Know your drat league settings and make a plan before the draft. Does your league give a point per reception? Raise your valuation of pass catching running backs and those low-highlight receivers that get a bunch of targets. Are you in a league that gives bonus points for drafting players that are literally the worst human being? Whoever is quarterbacking for Tampa Bay should get a boost.

So many times, people sit down at a draft and ask, "is this 4 point or 6 point passing TDs?" Don't do that: If you're going to do no research beforehand, just get a Beer Sheet and follow it, that's exactly what they're invented for.

A very special rant about auctions: Don't take auction advice from analysts who primarily do drafts. Auctions take longer and how they go is greatly dependent upon the people involved. So analysts only have time to get in a few auctions each season, and it's usually with the same batch of other analysts they work with. This means that often the advice they give has only been shown to work a few times with a pre-set group of owners.

If you're looking for some tips as a first-time auctioner, or you're wondering how the meta has shifted for this year, don't Google it. Just hit us up here in the Armchair Quarterback. I've already started my mocks and analysis for 2023 and am always happy to share everything I've learned.

A WAY TO GET BETTER ADVICE ON KEEPERS FROM THE THREAD
Put as many rules as possible in your questions. Include league size, keeper rules (cost, how long can you keep, etc), rules (4 points for TD, PPR, etc)

That should be everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

Way to lose to drunknerds in the playoffs this season. He hasn't checked his team in like three years.

I actually might kind of care about dynasty now. As I said in the other thread, yesterday I was on the clock in a SF league and Stroud was available. Going back and forth with all the interested owners to engineer the best trade back possible (I traded 1.05 & 2.05 for 1.09 and DJM because all I wanted was a WR and the top 4 were still on the board). That awakened something in me.

I'm going to check this team Poque is talking about, now.

Edit: Holy cow, I need to win now. Or do I need to trade Cook and Henry to a team that needs to win now for some building pieces? Or has that window past?

Am I doing dynasty thoughts right?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 6, 2023

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Auction talk: I'm trying to figure out ESPN's conversion algorithm because its flaws always lead to some bizarre steals at several key spots. I think they switched to a tier-based formula for their QBs and that's left some no-ring-sized gaping holes:

Mahomes/Allen/Hurts: Mid $30s
Burrow/Jackson: $18-20
Fields/Herbert: $8
Everyone else: Under $5

I'm worried because this is so detached from actual human closed-economy behavior that I can't really give advice. Like, obviously you should get Burrow at $21 or Fields at $9 or TreeLaw at $5, but there's no way that's going to be their AAV. There's no way someone is going to bid a top 3 guy up to $35, lose, and then pass at Burrow for $15 less. There's no way someone is going to bid up to $20 for Lamar, lose, and then let Lamar 2.0 Fields go for under $10.

It just doesn't make market sense.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna guess cowboys. That would deflate Pollard from "whoa that's a lot of capital to assume he's gonna do it again" to "this is a crazy steal because he was a top 10 back with Zeke there."

Which I like

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Here I am, mock you like a hurricane
https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/963286057103990784

No clock superflex. Hoping to fire on the weekend.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

He's bad. I jumped at the chance.

Here's how the first two rounds went.

edit: I had 2 and 3 and the fucker took Bijan first even though it's superflex and his QBs are Carr and Aaron Rodgers ugh

How much time per pick? Why couldn't you grab Gibbs then field calls to trade back? That's what I did when Stroud was available at my 1.05 and I suck at dynasty

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

I'm definitely coming around to "dynasty startup drafts should be auctions"

All drafts should be auctions

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So, three things:

1. Mark Andrews is a DEXCOM Warrior with powerful car wash vacuum tubes for hands. He still retains all the insane talent and only fell off a cliff because the Ravens had to field their backup QB who insisted on following his reads and other nonsense instead of Lamar Jackson's go to plan of "if the first read breaks down and I can't run then throw it to a triple covered Mark Andrews for easy yards."

I don't care if Oldell is there or if the Ravens line up 5 pro bowl WRs every play. LJ is still going to force it to Andrews every time his first read breaks down and there's a spy. MAndrews is easy money at his current ADP.

2. Last year Sataere and I ran an "intro to auction" league for people that wanted to try the (best) draft format but had trepidation about testing the waters. We streamed the draft and gave everyone commentary and advice to maximize their team and even the playing field.

I'm running this back for 2023, as there's been a lot of interest in our Discord. If anyone here has never done auction and would be interested in this league, message me. Entry fee would be a nominal $5 or $10.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 26, 2023

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hi fantasy football thread, I do not follow the NFL at all (college guy) but I’m tired of being the only person in my social circle who doesn’t play fantasy football so I’m diving in this year. I see a bunch of resources in the OP, I will take a look at those but wanted to ask:

What is one (or two, or whatever) piece of advice you’d give a total neophyte for their first draft? Thanks in advance.

3. Welcome to the best pasttime on Earth! Could you post your leagues scoring settings and how many of each position you can start?

ESPN rankings are always notoriously funky, I've already written one article on their 2023 weirdness. What could seem like a joke setting "just for laughs" could have season winning potential. Plus if there's something weird like "you can start 2 QBs" it completely changes how you want to draft.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh and for the new-to-auction league, Sataere and I have a rule if we win any money (neither of us did last year). It's either donate it to charity or toss it into the prize pool for next year, I forget which. We just want to get more people falling in love with the auction format.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

My home league is collapsing 😢

I'm assuming Mr. You're a Dick for not Inviting Me to Your Wedding is doing the Lion's share?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

I want some juicy deets

Jeff shares some of his home league bickerings on the podcast every July/August and just listening to them is exhausting

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My issue is that, in 7 of 15 games last year, Kittle scored under 3 in standard, under 5.2 in hppr , and under 7.7 in full PPR. 7 out of 15 games he didn't show up at all.

TE is all about either getting a consistent positional advantage or sticking with the blob with a boring but high floor performance. Just under 50% of the time Kittle didn't provide either

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

This will be the last year I can keep Justin Jefferson. Started as an 8th round hit and will be 4th round this year. Just an absolute steal three years in a row.

People dropping rookies weeks 3-5 because they are underperforming on their bench will never stop happening and never stop being hilarious.

He's on your bench, why does he need to be scoring NOW??

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

Still waiting for Jeudy to become startable. But I'm feeling optimistic this year

He was wr21 in HPPR last year despite playing on the lowest scoring offense in the whole league

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Diqnol posted:

I had Scott Hanson do our draft order this year. He's amazing.

That's cool. In years where I'm in a snake draft I make wrestlers that look like everyone in the league in wwe 2k19 then stream a royal rumble to determine draft order

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

comparisons to Hunter Biden.

You are trying to logic with crazy, got it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
In a SF league I'm windmill slamming Mahomes at 12 and Fields anywhere near the second round or later.

Also I've been working with the Beersheets dev and we have an alternative that pulls the same data and customizes it for your league settings, just like the old sheets did.

Beta testing is currently open on our Discord, if you want in pm me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to put some pieces together here.

The group will be 12 OU fans, and I know they'll overbid on OU players (like CeeDee Lamb); it doesn't look like a whole lotta former Sooners are near the top of any draft rankings, but it's something to keep in mind when it's my turn to nominate.

So the whole group is new to auction?

For new groups, one of two things seems to happen pretty much every time:

- Early high-end nominations go for a value. If you are paying whatever the listed projected price is for a top 10 player, you are getting a deal. If this is what your market does, move in on a couple of top guy you like early. Once everyone starts panic bidding at the end of tiers, you'll be glad you got in when you did.

- Early high-end nominations go for a lot, say 10% more than projected value or even more. If this is your market, move in on a couple of top guys you like early (notice the theme, here). It's okay to overpay, as long at you still have a stack of money (33%-50% or more). What's going to happen is the market will crash and guys will start going for much less than projected value. This is where you make up for your overpaying: By going in on guys early then playing the waiting game.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 7, 2023

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

No, I’m the only new one. Most of them have been doing this for a long time. The whole group is OU homers, lol

But I do appreciate the other information!

Oh okay, then there are a couple of other ways the market might move. People paying 5% over proj value for most top 24 guys. That still creates a market crash so the strategy still remains "get your guys, but be sure to have some $ left over for when the market crashes."

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

I hate nominating quarterbacks early in drafts. It never gets as much out of the pot as a running back or wide receiver and you are hurting your chances at getting a great price on an elite talent. The longer a draft goes without a QB being nominated, the better your chance at getting an elite guy at a discount.

Yeah I just want to fill rb and wr slots on other teams. There are enough great qbs that we can all have one and not really force a spike.

As RCarr points out, it does vary and can be weaponozed if you know your league well.

Judge Fucker, do you happen to have a list of last year's auction results you can post? We love getting under the hood for tailoring advice to new auction players.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

So evidently they haven't done an auction draft in 7 years--they've used other methods in the meantime--so no record.

But I really appreciate the offer! I'm excited for the auction. We're gonna have everyone together and do it over a few hours. It'll be a good ol' time.

Oh... so much had changed since then. I wonder what aberrations this draft will have. A $30-40 Kelce? A under $50 Chase and JJeff?

This truly could be a unicorn draft

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah making tiers is easily on the S tier list of "things to do for auction drafts"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

does it do auction values too?

Yes, but it can't do auction values better than just asking in here. I haven't yet figured out how to algorithm the 30 mocks I've done into a static sheet. Maybe I never will.

Just post your settings itt and I'll give 3 max possible ways the market can move and how to recognize and optimize for each of them

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

poly and open-minded posted:

I want in but dont have PMs

e: what a terrible snipe.

Don't fret: we are days away, maybe one day away, from perfecting it and then sharing it on all social media sites for free.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

cool--thanks.

1qb. 2rb. 3wr, 1te, 3fx, 1superfx, 2def

.25ppr, 4pt passing td, $210 budget.

everything else is pretty standard.

How many teams in the league?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Thanks. I've sat in on 2-3 12 team SF auctions this year as an advice giver and my best path has been pretty consistent and basic.
1. Get two top ~8 QBs for up to 50% of your total budget
2. If you have some wrs or rbs you love, feel free to get 2 for up to 25% of your budget. I'll be getting my Ridleys and Najees
3. HOLD HOLD HOLD. The market crash has been happening when even decent RB2s are still around, people who save 25% long enough can fill out a monster team even with needing 10+ spots to fill

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh gosh, look at this
https://footballabsurdity.com/draft-sheet-form/

I love you.

Also, the preseason is upon us! Go Football!!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

lol at this TE tier for my league settings

bit of a drop off from 1 to 2

Yup. The industry projections for Kelces value over replacement player are higher than I've ever seen in 20 years.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I forgot to mention: The new sheets update every single morning if there are any changes in any of the analyst projections we use.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Yes I've double and triple checked it. The phone only restriction is for live games. You get NFL Network and RedZone on your TV box along with the condensed games.

It's a pretty good deal imo even with the price hike.

It's weird. We've had it for 7 years and I couldn't swore it was $100 for the year but now it's $80 and I get red zone

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Yeah, he blocked all of Football Absurdity on Twitter because one of our writers made some passing comment about him and he started reaching out to us asking us to do something and we chose the route of public mockery.

Ohhhh, THAT guy. Lol, his assistant or whatever pm'ed like every single one of us DEMANDING we fire our "employee" like we have an actual HR department or something and it wasn't popular consensus that that dumb doctor was horrible at his job and almost killed Tyrod Taylor.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

If it was David Dao or whatever, he was gone for Tyrod, which is not a good indication of the Chargers as an org! This guy tried to murder Drew Brees, et al.

Oh, my!

:siren:Goons:siren: if you've ever wanted to try an auction league, Sataere and I are running back our Intro to Auction leagues for players new to the format

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4039551&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post533938829

Sataere and I live-stream the draft giving loads of advice to everyone on their best strategies for roster construction.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Drunk Nerds runs a ton throughout the week and calls em out on our Discord. Getting as much human data as possible is very important to The Process.

https://discord.gg/Tr4F7VDU8H

Yeah go to our discord and ask to be added to the auctioneer role and you'll be alerted whenever we mock.

We stream our mocks and give live advice Saturdays and Sundays on our Football Absurdity youtube starting at 5:30 CST. Last week we kicked off Superflex Sundays as there isn't a lot of data for SF snake and auction mocks

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

You're talking Dameon? Should I keep him over Rachaad? I sort of agreed with the guy above saying who cares if a keeper is good value if he's still a dud getting picked at the end of the draft even though he's a starter.

Dameon Pierce actually has some decent tape. Not a lot, but it's there.

Rachaad White has.... here's a YouTube called "Rachaad White" highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFy1Dz1tj4

First clip: up the middle for a loss of 1 yard
Second clip: Catch in the flat for zero yards.

That's uhhhh, that's Rachaad White people

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Now this video is being slightly disingenuous as it's actually every single Rachaad White touch. But I've watched every single Rachaad White touch and my disingenuous analysis is really not that far off.

I'd call him mid, but I think even that's being too generous

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
7/10 filled for a superflex mock snake right now :getin:
https://sleeper.com/draft/nfl/998794367877971968?ftue=commish

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm debating whether to put him in my toolbox for $1 or wait for another owner to go "this guy isn't doing anything" week 5 and drop him, then I scoop scoop

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Need 2 more for a superflex mock auction
https://sleeper.com/draft/nfl/999115051435048960?ftue=commish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
People keep conflating "first round rbs tend tobe bad" with "all first round rbs tend to be bad."

In fact, all rbs taken at #12 or earlier in the past 8 years have had monster seasons. Now that's just four, but it's all four.