Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Calidus posted:

That a weird trade to do before knowing who’s available

Weird for the Pacers yeah. The Lakers move up 7 spots essentially for free so there’s no real downside for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I aint mad at that

Ok, so I know a lot about the top 5-6 guys and I know a lot about the guys projected to go in the mid-first round (15-20), but I dont know much about the late lottery prospects. ANyone interesting in that mix to keep an eye on? Also, any guys who are likely to fall a lot compared to the expectations?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Calidus posted:

That a weird trade to do before knowing who’s available

Pacers got no one they want in that range, Lakers looking to move up for cash, regardless of the range. Lakers will probably keep trying to go up.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Paracaidas posted:

Jordan Hawkins goes in the lottery

I am a huge homer but I am a huge fan of Hawkins. UConn basically designed their entire offense this past year around him. Not sure how that will translate into the NBA because do a lot of teams still run as much off the ball movement as UConn did this past season (I don't watch very much NBA). I assume that shooters will always be needed though and he's a great one.

https://twitter.com/Shot_Quality/status/1671661833739026433?s=20

Paracaidas posted:

Andre Jackson Jr sneaks into the end of the first
If only he had been able to develop a shot. One of my all time favorite Huskies though and I've heard that he wanted to stay another year but was basically pushed to staying in the draft because he did have that chance at being drafted at the end of the first.
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1671634849269178368?s=20

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

They have 4 picks late in this draft (26, 29, 32, 55) plus their lottery pick. They were never gonna draft 5 rookies and give all 5 minutes on a team that's already pretty young.

They kick the can down the road on 29 until next year (pick might even be better than 29 next year) and get 40 for another trade.

LOL, I wasn't expecting the 40th pick to get included in a trade that quickly.

The original thought process remains the same, though. The Pacers weren't gonna draft and keep that many guys on the main roster with how young the team already is. Two late second round picks for two-way contracts or even more trades then actually getting players with their 7th and 26th picks seems fine.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ihatepants posted:

I am a huge homer but I am a huge fan of Hawkins. UConn basically designed their entire offense this past year around him. Not sure how that will translate into the NBA because do a lot of teams still run as much off the ball movement as UConn did this past season (I don't watch very much NBA). I assume that shooters will always be needed though and he's a great one.

Off-ball movement is weird. Coaches are always begging for it, many players just forget about it. There is lots of action dedicated to getting shooters open shots and it does require moving off-ball. There aren't many players that are movement shooters from 3pt range, however, and running a bunch of action for a mid-range shot is a terrible idea for 95% of NBA players, so it isn't as obvious to see in action. But I guarantee there is a ton of it in the NBA. It's one of Steph Curry's biggest strengths and the Nuggets just won a championship with a heavily off-ball-movement offense.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pacers reno is over budget so I'm not surprised.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is there any good fits for OKC to move up for? I'd imagine having 8 first round picks over the next two drafts means they could trade up for someone pretty easily. I know Dick was someone they seemed linked too that likely will be gone by 12.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Is there any good fits for OKC to move up for? I'd imagine having 8 first round picks over the next two drafts means they could trade up for someone pretty easily. I know Dick was someone they seemed linked too that likely will be gone by 12.

Ausar
Walker
Black
Hendricks

Are my top 4 of guys okc could actually get + makes sense for the team

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The betting markets for #2 are all over the place which means no one has a clue what is going to happen.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Mean Baby posted:

The betting markets for #2 are all over the place which means no one has a clue what is going to happen.

If anything is certain, it's that kupchak does not leak. I bet they also don't have 100% anyway as evaluating trade options

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kibner posted:

Off-ball movement is weird. Coaches are always begging for it, many players just forget about it. There is lots of action dedicated to getting shooters open shots and it does require moving off-ball. There aren't many players that are movement shooters from 3pt range, however, and running a bunch of action for a mid-range shot is a terrible idea for 95% of NBA players, so it isn't as obvious to see in action. But I guarantee there is a ton of it in the NBA. It's one of Steph Curry's biggest strengths and the Nuggets just won a championship with a heavily off-ball-movement offense.

Yeah to me Hawkins is a guy whose path to working to some level of success in the NBA is pretty clear provided he's fast enough to actually create separation from defenders in the NBA. Well and if he doesn't get drafted on a team that ices him because of defense (he plays pretty good defense but does not have the size to deal with switches and at least most dudes that height can't guard SFs right away).

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

I aint mad at that

Ok, so I know a lot about the top 5-6 guys and I know a lot about the guys projected to go in the mid-first round (15-20), but I dont know much about the late lottery prospects. ANyone interesting in that mix to keep an eye on? Also, any guys who are likely to fall a lot compared to the expectations?

There are a ton of cool late lottery guys this year. Leonard Miller, Jordan Hawkins, kobe bufkin, jalen hood schifino, dereck lively, cason wallace

I llike the late lottery a lot this year. There are NBA skills there.

As for guys who could fall, I think Keyonte George will go lower than mocks.I think Kris Murray could fall a bit. I think Nick smith could fall to the end of the first. Sensebaugh could fall into the second round because his profile the tough shot maker, tends to not do well in the NBA unless they're good at everything else

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 22, 2023

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Scoot and Melo would be such a fun team. Give us hope.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Slowpoke! posted:

Scoot and Melo would be such a fun team. Give us hope.

I've said it's scoot all along. And I said the same about paolo over jabari last year, so hopefully I'm right again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

I aint mad at that

The guys Dejan mentioned, plus I think GG might be worth the gamble at that point. I'd take GG before Jaime Jaquez at least. Olivier-Maxence Prosper might end up there, Ben Sheppard should probably go in that range.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
All right only keeping this to guys I've seen mocked in the Lakers range of 15-20

Guys I like: Kobe Buffkin (seems long gone by then now, but this is where he was mocked like as recently as a week ago), Jordan Hawkins, Leonard Miller, Noah Clowney, Derek Lively (seems impossible but people still saying it).

Guys I want to avoid: Anthony Black (seems to be projected as high as 8 now, I would not want him at 18 which is where he was projected like 3 months ago), Jett Howard (but this is probably gonna be the pick for nepotism reasons. Just not a very complete basketball game), Kris Murray, Jaime Jaquez

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Dejan Bimble posted:

I've said it's scoot all along. And I said the same about paolo over jabari last year, so hopefully I'm right again.

I'm hopeful its Scoot AND he isn't a bust/"just ok". I want to watch fun basketball again

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I don't know much about draft stuff but would be happy with the Warriors taking either Juaqez or Murray because Kerr may actually play them and could help with front court depth in the regular season.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Scoot wins the drip contest easy

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Should we make a GDT thread for the actual draft?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

Should we make a GDT thread for the actual draft?

yeah go ahead and make it

should i close this while the gdt is up so ppl dont get confused?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

yeah go ahead and make it

should i close this while the gdt is up so ppl dont get confused?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034842

Made it

Might as well close this one, I put a link to it for posterity in the GDT

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
So much Dynamism

whoops gdt

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When you all see what Gradey Dick is wearing you're going to hate it so much

it's the worst suit i may have ever seen

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Just gonna close this til we get to 10th or so in the draft so people see the GDT and this doesnt constantly get bumped with oops wrong threads

then we can use it to discuss draft as normal

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

I'm more horrified by his nba prospects

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

kiimo posted:

He looks like Ritchie Rich as portrayed by Jane Lynch

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

All right only keeping this to guys I've seen mocked in the Lakers range of 15-20

Guys I like: Kobe Buffkin (seems long gone by then now, but this is where he was mocked like as recently as a week ago), Jordan Hawkins, Leonard Miller, Noah Clowney, Derek Lively (seems impossible but people still saying it).

Guys I want to avoid: Anthony Black (seems to be projected as high as 8 now, I would not want him at 18 which is where he was projected like 3 months ago), Jett Howard (but this is probably gonna be the pick for nepotism reasons. Just not a very complete basketball game), Kris Murray, Jaime Jaquez

I take you are not a fan of Orlando’s draft. I don’t know anything about either guy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
You are right.

Anthony Black's gimmick is his defense but it wasn't THAT good and he was outclassed when facing NBA size even though he's fairly big himself. No offense to speak of. He does make nice entry passes though so there's that.

Jett has like no defense at all, wasn't super athletic, doesn't move that much. He' is a great shooter though. Basically he gives me Wes Mathews before Wes Mathews learned to cut.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm more horrified by his nba prospects

He's 6'8 and great shooting off movement, and he plays hard on defense in a team concept. I think he's a much better prospect than a guy like Corey Kispert.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Someone tell me about the guy the Wolves drafted please

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

He's a big project. But he's also big and a project.

6'10, played well in the G league especially for a 19 year old, he's a playmaking combo forward looks like he has a nice drive game. He doesn't shoot well but he just reworked his jumper and it's looked better this year. Iffy defense, but has potential. I thought he looked really good on the floor and I thought he was older. A lot of people had him in the 20-30 range so the Wolves getting him is a nice grab.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I don't know who Mojave King is, but he has a 10/10 name

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I had him at 10.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I had him at 10.

That's wild, what caused him to fall?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

That's wild, what caused him to fall?

I'm not sure it was really a fall since he didn't even get a green room invite, but it is hard to see what position he plays in the pros, and also Ignite puts these guys in position to be challenged rather than excel so his weaknesses were on display for the world. But I don't know there were a lot of strengths, good shot, can create his own shot, plays hard on defense, I don't totally get the slide.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What should I expect from Marcus Sasser?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The two biggest surprises in this draft were a guy who's only played good basketball for two months and a shooter who's bad at basketball. Congrats pacers and magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

The two biggest surprises in this draft were a guy who's only played good basketball for two months and a shooter who's bad at basketball. Congrats pacers and magic.

The amount of hype for coulibaly for that tiny blip of games was hilarious. Metropolitans understand how to protect a prospect and get them places, while the G League Ignite seem to be loving guys draft stock up on purpose. Next year's roster is going to be even worse in terms of showcasing guys strengths and covering their weaknesses.