Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Rewatched Lord of War. Even though I thought I knew all the jokes by heart, it still gave me a good laugh. Apparently the bit about "rescue helicopters" is true or was at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Nixon (1995) - Completely blown away by it. I loved how many lines were direct quotes. I wish there was a movie about LBJ like this one and I'm almost surprised Oliver Stone hasn't made one.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 10, 2023

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Ferrara's DVD commentary on it is also great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRzH9BAzks

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Bonjour Tristesse. Not the kind of film I usually watch, but it was thoroughly riveting. The protagonist comes across as scheming and independent but also not necessarily the sharpest knife in the chest, which made for interesting viewing. I wonder if it had Code approval; I recall reading that Preminger was one of the filmmakers who managed to chip away at the Code partly by independently funding many of his own films (he had the producer credit on this one) and successfully releasing them without Code approval. The father's lifestyle seems like it would have run afoul of numerous provisions in the Code, but perhaps it's kept just vague enough to have "passed."

I got the tude now posted:

boogie nights -> magnolia back to back. feel like anderson was really into coen bros when making boogie nights.

I watched Boogie Nights with Anderson's commentary a while back and he cited Scorsese (Raging Bull, specifically) as the main influence on the film. Definitely some Coen Bros-esque antics in there too.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 9, 2024

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Rewatched Hana-bi/Fireworks. I was really swept by the orchestral score this time around, as well as by the paintings (which were actually done by Kitano).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Poppers posted:

Libraries ftw :cheersdoge: