Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Shortly after this my large orange son burst out of cuddle time by kick flipping off my delicates and sprinting for the kitchen because my wife accidentally clanged his kibble bowl in the drying rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

She was transfixed watching the air conditioner open and turn on. She didn't take her paws off my leg for at least several minutes while she stared entranced.

That cat has a pretty coat

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Roundup Ready posted:

poo poo on the floor directly in front of her litter box. Was trying to prep dinner and just heard her trying to bury it. I just cleaned the box yesterday.

One of my two cats shits in front of the litter box almost daily, and I’ve never caught them in the act so I don’t know which one it is >:(

I keep that thing clean, swept, fresh, and still they disrespect my bathroom floor.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My Cats had nice naps today.

The female mother of the other cats yelled at me at 2 am because her kibble bowl was empty.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

quote:

The female mother

Hello fellow mammals

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Taco keeps trying to perch on the crossbar underneath my bar chair but it's so precarious she gets nervous and forgets about her own tail and inevitably starts trying to chase it until she falls onto the floor. It's incredibly cute and I keep trying to get it on camera.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neophyte posted:

:kimchi:

post the Noon and/or cheesecake

I didn't get a picture of Noon fighting me for the cake, alas. But here's Noon:

And here's the cheesecake:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

super sweet best pal posted:

Cats will be entranced by the most trivial things, mine wanted to know what my toenail clipping was as I was throwing it in the trash.

Sekhmet is all about toenail clippings, she sees those trimmers come out and it's :catdrugs:

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

madmatt112 posted:

One of my two cats shits in front of the litter box almost daily, and I’ve never caught them in the act so I don’t know which one it is >:(

I keep that thing clean, swept, fresh, and still they disrespect my bathroom floor.

They are likely doing that because you only have one litter box, because the litter hurts their paws, or some other territorial concern. They are not disrespecting you.

Source: I have watched 6 seasons of My Cat From Hell so I'm basically a cat behaviorist myself now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That cat has a pretty coat

Thanks. :) I think she's gorgeous too. Scanning her in Google says she's a Turkish Van and I guess they typically have this kind of coat. I originally adopted her and found out she had been passed over several times for months which is crazy to me, so I feel lucky to have her. :3:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Thorgot posted:

They are likely doing that because you only have one litter box, because the litter hurts their paws, or some other territorial concern. They are not disrespecting you.

Source: I have watched 6 seasons of My Cat From Hell so I'm basically a cat behaviorist myself now.

my cat does it to disrespect me. if he's mad at me (i've taken him to the vet recently, he only got one breakfast that day, I didn't give him his hourlong post-dinner cuddle) he shits directly in front of the litter

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mx. posted:

my cat does it to disrespect me. if he's mad at me (i've taken him to the vet recently, he only got one breakfast that day, I didn't give him his hourlong post-dinner cuddle) he shits directly in front of the litter

lol

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

yeah, Deuteronomy is a spite shitter.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

One of mine (I suspect Claz) is a spite shitter. It tends to be when I go away for a night or two, or when one of them has been to the vet. Last time it was because I went to see my folks out of town for one night, two weeks after I’d had a week-long work trip. The week was fine, my flatmate looked after them, but apparently disappearing for a night with no flatmates home was a bridge too far.

That was three weeks ago, and every time I go to put away my little cabin-baggage sized suitcase, Clarence is lying on it. I guess it’s his bed now.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Omg :3:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Thorgot posted:

I appreciate the helpful advice - we have two litter boxes in different rooms. Haven’t switched the litter type in a few years and this is more recent than that. They also use the litter box for like 95% of their other business, there’s just always one lil turd pile outside. Hmm… I wonder if it’s just that it happened by accident one day and then the lingering scent of turd-on-tile keeps them coming back for more. I should try really scrubbing the floor with vinegar and water or something.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

madmatt112 posted:

I appreciate the helpful advice - we have two litter boxes in different rooms. Haven’t switched the litter type in a few years and this is more recent than that. They also use the litter box for like 95% of their other business, there’s just always one lil turd pile outside. Hmm… I wonder if it’s just that it happened by accident one day and then the lingering scent of turd-on-tile keeps them coming back for more. I should try really scrubbing the floor with vinegar and water or something.

My ol fat girl trundles requires me to keep puppy pee pads under the litterboxes. I have enclosed ones, and while they are fully large enough for her portly rear end, she frequently doesn’t get all the way inside to pee. I know she CAN, she shits in a box just fine, but for reasons unknown to me, she gets most of her body in the box and half the time hangs her butt out the doorway, and just goes “yeah good enough”.
Then she very carefully piles the litter inside the doorway where she didn’t pee, comes out and does a couple of cursory scratches at the pee pad and saunters off, slightly embarrassed and slightly “whatcha gon’ do, eh?”

Not sure whether your turd piles are close enough to the box to plausibly be the cat forgetting where it’s rear end is, but their brains are very small and smooth so it’s a possibility.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Got some cat snack paste on her nose but still maintaining her dignity.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Threw up directly into his food dish

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

zakharov posted:

So he's a critic then?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

zakharov posted:

He made food!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Shithouse Dave posted:

My ol fat girl trundles requires me to keep puppy pee pads under the litterboxes. I have enclosed ones, and while they are fully large enough for her portly rear end, she frequently doesn’t get all the way inside to pee. I know she CAN, she shits in a box just fine, but for reasons unknown to me, she gets most of her body in the box and half the time hangs her butt out the doorway, and just goes “yeah good enough”.
Then she very carefully piles the litter inside the doorway where she didn’t pee, comes out and does a couple of cursory scratches at the pee pad and saunters off, slightly embarrassed and slightly “whatcha gon’ do, eh?”

Not sure whether your turd piles are close enough to the box to plausibly be the cat forgetting where it’s rear end is, but their brains are very small and smooth so it’s a possibility.

not sure if you or madmatt have tried, but there's top-entry litterboxes which make this basically impossible. I love mine bc it prevents the usual 'kicks the litter out as they bury their poos' situation

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Shithouse Dave posted:

There's also the Breeze little box that uses pellets on top and has a vent into a drawer with a pad in it for liquids. Might work better for this, they also make an XL version that's very roomy if that's what your cat wants.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
He yowled then curled up and took a nap.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I have no credentials past “didn’t know anything about cats, did a tonne of research to prep for cats” but I’m also of the understanding that cats have no concept of a complex emotion like spite. Litter box issues are usually down to something else like preference (e.g. the litter hurts their paws), age/health (e.g. arthritis can make it hard to get in and out of some boxes comfortably), or stress (e.g. separation anxiety, change in routine, vet visits, territorial anxiety). Obviously I don’t know anything about anything but I wouldn’t jump to “spite” as a first guess. Don’t want to argue with anyone in the chill cat thread just putting it out there as something to maybe dig into more if you think you need to. :shrug:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Yeah my wife is a veterinary professional, so she’s keeping an eye on things to see if they need further investigation. In the meantime we’ll just keep scooping poop.

I suspect the root cause may, in some cases, be “cats are dumber than a sack of potatoes” and nothing more.

I do appreciate people’s concern for my cats’ wellbeing.

Here’s Tigger. He found the Tigger-sized laundry gap.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

kaom posted:

I have no credentials past “didn’t know anything about cats, did a tonne of research to prep for cats” but I’m also of the understanding that cats have no concept of a complex emotion like spite.

Lol

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Spite is one of maybe five emotions cats are capable of

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

He barfed on the bedsheets again. That's fine though, it was past time to change them.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

the five cat emotions are spite, anger, disdain, affection and curiosity

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My cat is the smartest and least potato-like cat ever :mad:

And just lol that they don't have spite or at least a you broke your side of the bargain, now it's my turn view

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TK8325 posted:

You forgot hunger.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

TK8325 posted:

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

super sweet best pal posted:

You forgot hunger.

hunger is the all reigning force that commands each emotion

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

My wife and I absolutely exploded laughing at that gag, it came out of absolutely nowhere and landed so hard.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Shelby wants me to play with him and stop paying attention to the weird rectangle thing. But book club meets tomorrow and I have to finish it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

not sure if you or madmatt have tried, but there's top-entry litterboxes which make this basically impossible. I love mine bc it prevents the usual 'kicks the litter out as they bury their poos' situation

Interesting, I might look at those. I tried to get a covered litter for my cat to stop that but he would just put the front half of his body inside the box and then poo poo on the floor.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

If enough cat spite stories are posted maybe I can be convinced. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

That particular time wasn't a spite making GBS threads, he's also not very smart