Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

...a click out of 5 and there we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

i bought a couple sets from Jimy Longs recently. i have not received them yet, but i will update when i do. they look pretty good.

edit: i found the coupon code LPU4LIFE for it. it looks like it gives 20% off.

s_c_a_r_e_ fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 14, 2023

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’ve seen those. I want one just to try it out but I don’t need four slightly different angles of hooks bundled together.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Southord has a 25% off sale until July 24th. Code: LIBERTY23

I use Southord to buy really cheap $2 picks of all kinds of profiles I'd like to try out. They're obviously not amazing quality but there are SO MANY varieties.

I haven't tried their more expensive stuff yet.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 3, 2023

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That American 1100 is a satisfying pick. Did it with a Sparrows Tron and a comfortable ergo wrench.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
SouthOrd Labor Day sale through the 5th. 20% off select items.

LABORDAY23

Wish some of the other sites would have as frequent deals. I just don’t need much from SouthOrd.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 31, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zesty posted:

That American 1100 is a satisfying pick. Did it with a Sparrows Tron and a comfortable ergo wrench.

I keep mine at my desk and give it a shot every few days. I still have not managed to pick it apart from one time that was a total fluke. I also need to figure out a better source for locks so I don't have to drop $10-15 every time I want a new one.

What are your thoughts on transparent locks? I've seen folks online suggest that they can cause bad habits, but it seems like they'd be helpful for developing a feel for tension and identifying false sets.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They aren’t durable, they’re expensive, and they’re outgrown super quick.

Considering you’re already playing with a good lock, I’d say you’re already past any utility they might have.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you're a locksport evangelist they can be good for showing new people what's happening but yes, you tend to outgrow them very quickly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty posted:

I gutted this lock today.

Compared to American 1100 example in OP:

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i got into this hobby the dumbest way possible: watching LPL videos and buying a $9 kit from CI, then immediately breaking my front door lock. but i’m having fun and have a lot more locks to practice with now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I want these tubular lockpicks but can't find them outside that $70 set. Kind of want the dimple rake too, but ugh 70 bucks is way wayy too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC0RxzXozB4

LPL is always trying to sell me poo poo and he might even manage it if he wasn't hiding things away in bundles.

Edit: As soon as I posted it, I found the wrench on sparrows. I can use a broken pick with it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 7, 2023

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Moving this over from the general fix-it thread.

ryanrs posted:

Lock Chat

I want to modify a Weslock Colonial 1400 entry handleset to use a high-security cylinder like a bilock, abloy protec, or even an older medeco or assa cylinder.

I do not actually need very high security, though it would be nice to have something bump-proof. Mostly I just want an upgrade from whatever garbage lock is probably in there right now (though if weslock is actually awesome, please tell me). And approximately 50% of my motivation is to have a weird and unusual key, so please take that into consideration. I want a big, meaty key, but no electronics, magnets, or dimples, please.

The detail that makes it fun: the condo association mandates this specific weslock handleset (it's a big condo complex, not a house). So I can't just upgrade it to something modern and good. Lots of people have installed separate deadbolts, which I guess I could do. Kinda don't want to, though. I would prefer to modify the Weslock Colonial 1400 to accept a different cylinder. There's a lot of room inside the handleset, and I think the weslock cylinder is larger than most. I am willing to design and fabricate custom metal parts, including machining the weslock handleset itself.

This project is still in the research/evaluation phase. If there is a simple/normal way to put a different brand cylinder into this handleset, that would be best. I don't want to make custom parts unless I need to.

ryanrs posted:

The Weslock cylinders are available in Kwikset and Schlage keyways. If I want to stick with Weslock cylinders, I would probably buy a new one with a Schlage keyway (SC1). The existing Weslock cylinder is a totally beat to poo poo KW1 that is decades old.

ryanrs posted:

Yeah! Abloy Protec2 KIK w/ 6 keys for $180. See, that's the kind of price point that makes this project feasible. With a brand new handleset and a small custom part, it might hit $500 total.

I'm going to take the Weslock mechanism apart tomorrow to get some pics. But I think it's just a KIK cylinder with long tailpiece, held in place with a screw. It feels like cross-manufacturer cylinder compatibility is just a matter of machining or 3D printing a spacer or something.

I'll also take it to a local locksmith to talk lock options. Hopefully they'll be amused by the idea.

Maybe lockpickers will see the appeal of shoehorning a fancy cylinder into this HOA-mandated clockwork turd?

What issues do I need to keep in mind to make this work? Are all KIK cylinders basically the same? I wish I had a table of cylinder dimensions for the different brands.

(apologies if this is too much locksmithing in the locksport thread)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know how to put together a door but that's a nice lock. Very hard pick. Big beefy key, just like you want.

A quick google search shows that that KIK cylinders are not all the same size and won't fit all the same.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Upon further investigation/demolition, I've decided the door is properly hosed, and I'm going to rip out the entire door + jamb and replace everything. 50/50 chance I am just digging myself deeper.

But I did find a really nice lock on ebay! Medeco High Security Cylinder w/ 5 keys for $55. It's a Medeco 51S Biaxial w/ 6 pins. One of the finest commercial locks of the time (1985 - 2005).

The lock and keys are new old stock, with zero scratches or wear. They must have been sitting on some shelf for 20-30 years. The finish is perfect and the clicky mechanical action is as sharp as when it left the factory. You can feel the precision tolerances of the mechanism as you insert and turn the key.

No security card, so these 5 keys are all you will ever get. But if you can live with that restriction, I think it's a great deal. The ebay seller would probably sell more of them if they put the word 'biaxial' in the title or description. :ssh:

This Medeco cylinder fits just about perfectly in a Schlage commercial deadbolt. It will probably fit any Schlage hardware that accepts a Schlage SC4 6-pin KIK cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLw4uHkrxjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqPb-_r45jU

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 22, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Nice find! Does it work in your door? I see you got it into the deadbolt but you're now saying your whole door is hosed? I'm confused as to the dramatic turn for demolition this post took.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The bore holes in the door aren't in quite the right place for the existing hardware, and are very wrong for modern hardware.

For example, the door knob backset is a little over 2-1/2 in, not 2-3/8 or 2-3/4. And the 1" hole in the door edge for the deadbolt is not vertically aligned with the 2-1/8 through-hole, so the deadbolt was installed upside-down in order to fit. That's why our deadbolt has to be turned the 'wrong way' to engage/disengage.

It really looks like some incompetent handyman did a lot of very sloppy drilling, then hammered the lock parts in backwards to fit. It's amazing it has kinda-worked for so long. Also amazing is the fact that every door in this 100 unit complex is messed up the same way.

TBH I'm suspicious that I'm maybe missing some basic understanding here. But also I'm $300 into this 'repair' and poo poo has just been getting worse. The existing hardware has been discontinued, parts are hard to find, and it was all Weslock garbage in the first place.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Rapid production tract housing (or condos) at their finest. The carpenters had the deadbolt jig upside down when they drilled it, or the plans showed it backwards. Or they came from the factory pre-drilled wrong. Then much later in the process a bid-by-job locksmith came along and installed the whole complex. Flipping it upside down gets the job done in the same amount of time, and you don't get paid any more (and are definitely never hired again if they even pay you for this job) if you refuse to install them upside down because the doors are drilled wrong. The sole person who could potentially have caused this to be fixed on a unit-by-unit basis were the original condo purchasers and only if they could show on the lock spec sheet it's not installed to spec.

I don't know what you've done to get to $300 but why can't you just install it upside down again? (Except for your own preferences.) Back to fix-it-fast? :v:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

No, gently caress this upside-down/backwards poo poo. I am going to un-grover my front door even if it means sawzalling it out of the wall.

I just got home with a new factory-milled pre-hung door. Everything is going to be installed to spec, with precision, using quality hardware from Schlage and Medeco. All fitting and bodging and mangling will be located between the studs and the door jamb and hidden with moulding, like it's supposed to be.

Half-assed repairs have kept this thing going for years, but it has always sucked.

e: Now I have a sawzall. Ho-ho-ho.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Got a new American 1100 in my stocking. :3:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Lockpicking: now I have a sawzall

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I need to pick up a good set of tension wrenches and a replacement pick or two and get back into this. I need an indoor hobby other than playing video games

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was really into the ergonomic tension wrenches, but now I’ve just been enjoying some straight top of the keyway tension wrenches.

If you really get into the hobby, you’ll find you need more variability in tension wrenches than picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Yeah, I have a favorite pick that I use most of the time, out of about 5 that cover most locks. But a huge pile of tension wrenches. Including a bunch of custom ones made from piano wire or wiper blades to work in specific keyways at specific angles.

Sometimes you need the straight tiny ABUS wrench, but sometimes you want the curved version, ya know what I mean?