Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

It should be noted that the Animated series is the only series to be officially considered cannon.

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

Spock: Captain. Our Space Energy levels are down to 13%. We require a nutritious breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I could see Star Trek hipsters becoming preoccupied with things that we used to bemoan, like dust on developed photos, or VHS tracking stripes, and deliberately order burnt food.

"Mmm so authentic!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, she got mad at O'Brien for not wanting to be intimate with her in Rascals even though there is obvious reasons he refused.

This gets brought up a lot, but I think it's people misremembering what little Keiko says in that scene (probably because it gets brought up a lot). Keiko wants O'Brien to hold her, and that's what weirds him out:

quote:

[O'Brien quarters]
(Keiko wants the mister from an upper shelf, and has to stand on a box to get it before she can spray the orchid)
O'BRIEN: I could use a cup of coffee. How about you?
KEIKO JR: I'll get it. Two coffees. One with cream and sugar, the other
O'BRIEN: Black, double sweet
KEIKO JR: I know. One double sweet.
O'BRIEN: Careful, that's hot.
KEIKO JR: Miles.
O'BRIEN: Sorry.
(She snuggles up to him and he gets up and walks away)
KEIKO JR: What's wrong?
O'BRIEN: It's. I don't know, but this feels wrong somehow.
KEIKO JR: Miles Edward O'Brien, I am still your wife.
O'BRIEN: Well technically, yes.
KEIKO JR: Technically?
O'BRIEN: No. I mean, of course you're my wife. But you're also ten years old.
KEIKO JR: Beverly said it's actually closer to twelve.
O'BRIEN: That's not the point.
KEIKO JR: So what is the point? Is our marriage over?
O'BRIEN: I didn't say that. But until they find a way to reverse this, this effect, it's going hard for me to ignore the fact that you're a little girl.
KEIKO JR: What if they can't find a way? What if I'm like this the rest of my life? What does that mean for us, for our family?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like when a character breaks their facade, like with the primary Founder villain, the female changling who keeps showing up. She acts all high and mighty and above it all, like she's being SO clinical, but as soon as Garak asks how many of his people survived their attack on her original homeworld she just loses it on him and shows just how passionate she really is. "How many survived? They're all dead. YOU are dead. CARDASSIA IS DEAD! Does that answer your question?"

I love how she's so over this solid's bullshit and Garak is like :pusheen:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

V-Men posted:

Maybe he meant to have the replicator deconstruct the pants because if you could just replicate a new set of custom designed clothes every day why wouldn't you?

The whole station would've shut down trying to comprehend the patterns and colors, like that puzzle virus the TNG crew meant to put into Hugh.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

It was going to be a leprechaun but run Colm Meamy was like “gently caress feck off”

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"And I... will make them pay, for what they've drank!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Knormal posted:

Maybe you're just racist and think all Lurians look the same?

I think they're usually supposed to have hair though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

Should have just not involved Stewart and made Picard about the rest of the cast trying to locate him for 3 seasons, and then in the finale reveal that he’s been dead for ages and/or got his soul spliced into a new cast member.

*Tom Hardy steps out of the shadows* time to do some f*cking and fighting

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Y'all can definitely quit trying to defend Voyager, of all things. I married my wife for many reasons but her taste and judgement are foremost.

Did she at least see Neelix

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

It's always fun when your watching a clip from something you havent' seen in years and notice an actor you didn't know at the time. I just noticed that Neal McDonough was in Star Trek: First Contact in a small speaking role.

If I recall right, his character was gay!*

*not mentioned in movie

Enjoy your representation, gay ppl

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

He got in on Game of Thrones right as it was starting to circle the toilet and his character really sucked, so no that's not a point in his favor, sadly.

:( it could've been a pretty meaty part had the writers not totally botched it and unceremoniously killed him off.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The way I remember it, after Scorpion, Janeway's like "well, these Borg enhancements to the ship are good, leave them in!" and then the next episode, B'Ellana goes "actually we have to rip it out" as if she's channelling Rick Berman.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

If Gene had his way there would've been gay and lez loving in the background

That would spice things up on the Bridge

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Trainwreck Borg Queen, she's drunk at brunch and even the drones are embarrassed

*head on torso backwards* yyou don't come into MY cube and tell ME what to do

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Your mom is a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yo mama's so fat that STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY IS AT 15% AND DROPPING, HULL BREACH IMMINENT, CAPTAIN WE HAVE TO VENT YO MAMA

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

How long did he walk around DS9 trying to figure out what he'd done to piss off Riker after Thomas pulled his poo poo

More likely he thought "oh poo poo he knows"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Vulcans ascribe to the Al/Peggy Bundy model of procreation.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

No Dignity posted:

Personally I'd question if bottling up all your emotions until they're inevitably released once every seven years in a binge of unhinged sex, violence and sexual violence is really that logical

I mean, you can get a good amount of work done in those seven years.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nullsmack posted:

I'd watch this spinoff

I don't know, I feel like it's missing something when they're not all holding 1993 cutting edge consumer electronics.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

I like how in most of these Kate Mulgrew is like “oh? I don’t gotta be the captain with all these people depending upon me to get home? Great I can let my hair down, have some fun, and just get some good sleep”

Photographer: so what we had in mind for this one is just have some fun, everyone standing around

*Kate Mulgrew drags up a chair*

Photographer: *claps hands* okay then

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Often Bong Soong

edit: it always bugged me what a crappy, soft, effortless nickname "Often Wrong" was. Did people in the 23rd century get too nice for proper putdowns?

"Moron" Soong

"Dipshit" Soong

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 29, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always enjoy how pointless Picard killing his doppelganger is. Could've stunned him, disabled the shuttle, transported him, restrained him... but nah, Jean-luc was working through a few things.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Only O'Brien knows he did it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Perhaps some kind of mark they could wear on their forehead... :hmmyes:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Now we know why Kirk sent Bailey along with Balok: he was a corporate spy discovering trade secrets from the First Federation that could be stolen.

As soon as Bailey got Balok to give him access to the computers, he snuck up behind him: *snap-snap* "heh, nothin' personel kid"

"and by the way, I hate tranya"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Der Kyhe posted:

Riker was also supposed to be a hardass who is never pleased with anyone's performance and "would get a seaman flogged for serving his coffee too cold".

Instead, he became someone who flogs his seaman into anyone's coffee.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

The Bynars were a decent concept, and I liked the ship evacuation scenes, but the overall plot of the episode was awfully thin. And the dialogue between Riker and Minuet was... not terribly convincing.

It's too bad the order of episodes got changed around, because I think the reason why Picard gets so excited about the first time he plays Dixon Hill was supposed to be because the Bynars made the Holodeck way better.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

WOMEN.....BE SHOPPING

ERROR! ERROR! THE FEMALE SAYS NOTHING IS WRONG BUT CLEARLY SHE IS UPSET!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've only watched 95% of TOS in adulthood, but I love it. The "heh, women" and "women :argh:" comes at you out of left field sometimes, and there's a lot of plot recycling between episodes, and I often don't care for the "let's raid the studio lot's wardrobe to save a buck this week" episodes, but most of it's so... goddamn... fun.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love how Troi repeatedly warns Riker against the Pakleds and he just stares at her glassily.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

Worf also warned against giving them Geordi.

Worf gives a lot of good advice that gets ignored.

Nobody on the bridge even processes what Worf says, it's all just <grunt, snarl> to them and then someone says "I think that might be a bit excessive, Mr. Worf."

Worf: assholes, I was asking if anyone wants to do prune juice shots & painsticks after work.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking of Troi, I'm watching the episode where Troi loses her empathic ability right now, and I feel like this episode was written by someone who doesn't like Troi very much.

I think the biggest failure of that episode is you never get an idea of what losing her special power is like, other than her talk with Riker where she describes it as if people aren't really there anymore, which sounds scary. You just have everyone going "oh well, now you're like the rest of us" and her being a big bitch about it.

I think they should've put in some POV shots for Troi where people sound like weirdly muted, or maybe have her mom come in and it being really upsetting that they can't telepathically talk anymore.

The idea of the ep was that it was like sudden blindness or deafness, but that doesn't work if it's an empathic ability nobody in real life has, other than people on social media

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MuddyFunster posted:

"SHUT UP, WESLEY."

I knew it'd appear at some point, but I still wasn't ready for the context of him voicing pretty valid concern about Data/Lore.

Yeah, last time I went through the first TNG seasons, I was like "drat, they're being really mean to this kid"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lord Hydronium posted:

I always thought that was supposed to be an "Or is it...?" type ending to make the audience think it might still be Lore.

Lore: Doesn't anybody notice this?? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CrimsonAuthor posted:

The hologram AI also probably helped take things a little too far, considering the kind of thing it's usually used for

Computer: "please specify 'non-sexual scenario.'"

Tighclops posted:

I actually really like Where Silence Has Lease, just for its vibes. The whole bit where they are on the fake Yamato and it's just hosed up and super creepy in a way TNG usually wasn't, plus I love Worf losing his poo poo at it and trying to fight with the doors

Yeah, the spooky TNG episodes are some of my favorites. Like Remember Me, or the one where everyone gets knocked out and it turns out they've lost two days, and Data ain't talking. They nearly all have disappointing conclusions, but the vibes are definitely excellent.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I get that it would be out of sync with the others, but yeah it would've made so much more sense for the DS9 intro to have mostly sweeping visuals of the promenade and other inside locations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Nah you gotta start em young

Did Aatrek reregister?

edit: Sorry that was mean, but you really set that one up :haw:

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MuddyFunster posted:

Ensign Chococidal McManiac is back too, weirdly? Is she a low key constant recurring character like O'Brien or more a Janice Rand "just in this handful of episodes, gone and forgotten soon after"?

I believe the plan was to have her and Geordi to become an item. Not great to have him date a subordinate, but I really liked her and was sad not to see more of her.

The actress, Lycia Naff, had to get a short haircut for a different movie or show, and asked someone higher up at Star Trek if that was okay, and got a greenlight. When she'd had the cut, they were suddenly all "what did you dooooo" and cut her from the show.