Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

davidspackage posted:

Sure, but then they'd be out of the show's biggest antagonist, and he was popular with fans, even if they loved to hate him. Maybe Marc went to the writers one too many times.

Alaimo: you know, I think now would be an excellent time to introduce that Dukat-Kira love affair I keep mentioning to you guys. And maybe finally write that scene where I deadlift O'Brien --

Writer: YOU KNOW WHAT, Marc,

It's one of those stories that gets regurgitated and passed around internet threads like this one over and over, I have no idea if it's true, but supposedly in the middle of DS9s run when they were trying to make their villains nuanced and complex, Dukat got really popular and they were slowly ramping up to a Dukat and Kira romance. One of the reasons it didn't happen was that Nana Visitor threatened to walk if they tried to pull something so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm sure that a prequel is capable of being good, and it might even have happened once or twice, but generally speaking, when they start making prequels is when they start running out of ideas for the actual story, or they've written themselves into a corner and can't move forward anymore. Prequels always seem to change the context of the original story and it's always for the worst.

I've never seen Better Call Saul, that might be the exception.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'd love to hear some reports about what happened in that stupid Storyteller village during the occupation. Like did the Cardassians see the giant thundercloud start wrecking poo poo and just shake their heads at the silly superstitious villagers and then go back to their war crimes?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I know the back half of BSG was bad and the ending was just dogshit, but I still have a soft spot for the mutiny arc. It was like one last hurrah before the show gets you to look away for a second so it can quickly disappear off camera.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

im not sure's there's not much entertainment to be mined from a post-ds9 show.

you can't do an epic plotline that's less than the dominion war; it'll just look tawdry in comparison.
you can't really do a super dominion war; the dominion war was already hyped to 11 with the whole alpha quadrant teaming up and it still being last gasp bullshit that saves the day.

post dominion war politics is just going to be former allies falling apart into bickering and conflict, which isn't great star trek really.

you could do an episodic star trek where ships return to exploration etc, but i dont think thats what the ds9 fans are looking for

This is a good point, the need to always ramp up the stakes is a big part of why every big franchise eventually becomes awful (Hi Marvel). You can either continue on, ramping up the stakes to farcical levels, continue on without increasing the stakes, or do prequel bullshit where you still have to decide between increasing the stakes or not, which are still two bad options but at least you can make nudge nudge, wink wink references to later events.

But there is another, secret option. Leave Star Trek alone, so it can be fondly remembered as a great series, and go on to write new, different stories in unrelated new settings. Obviously studio executives would rather die penniless in the gutter before trying something so drastic, so here we are.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They should have gone through with their plan to infect and kill off the Cylons.

They tried running, they tried hiding, they tried fighting back, none of which helped. The Cylons demonstrated they were determined to exterminate the human race, and they had and were willing to spend any amount of resources and time to accomplish this goal. Cylon society is not like human society. There are zero innocent children, and there are zero conscientious objectors. Every single Cylon participated in genocide already, and every single member except one was still actively involved in finishing off the job. If you really want to get pedantic about it, not taking action makes you complicit in genocide anyways since you know drat well they intend to genocide some more and you didn't do the only thing available to you that would be sure to stop them, so at worst it would be a wash, you're trading one genocide for another.

The only thing that stopped that from being true was some hokey rear end writing towards the end, based on all the information they had available to them at the time they should have done it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LividLiquid posted:

Pretty much every criticism of BSG is one of two things:

1.) Legit gripes caused by the writer's strike, and

2.) Cinema Sins Ding-level "well if everybody in this show about human responses to big problems acted 100% rationally, they could've solved all their problems!"

And not all of these were, so at least that's somethin'.

I remember when I originally watched it I got more and more frustrated that no one shot Baltar. If they killed Baltar everything would have worked itself out.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dog_Meat posted:

Not to derail, but literally why the Orville worked so well. It was blatant Trek without being tied to Trek

The Orville nailed the "we're kind of structured like a military but we're mostly civilian explorers who just want to find neat new stuff in space and make friends" vibe that Star Fleet never really pulled off too. They sure did drink a lot though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Taear posted:

take us to the far reaches of the beta quadrant
tell us about how the klingon empire actually works, do some colonialism stuff
explore what it means to actually be part of the federation

There's lots of bits they could do that use the setting but they just don't bother because it's time for more prequels

But there's still 6 months of Spock's life we haven't explored yet, plus maybe he had a cousin or something. You remember Spock don't you? Spock is a thing you know from Star Trek. Watch a new series to learn more about Spock.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FISHMANPET posted:

Put Spock's children on the new ship! Oh, you didn't know he was a father? Now you do! Who's the mother? It's Sela?

If it's not Kirk there will be a riot at the old folks home.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Taear posted:

It's been said loads in both threads but it's pretty mad that the laser focus aim of the new star treks (not LDS) is at boomers. Sure I grew up watching the films but Star Trek to me really is TNG/DS9/VOY and I bet that applies to absolutely loads of millenials and zoomers who are way more likely to be watching your show than boomers who have lost touch with what's on TV and how to watch new stuff

Can't say I agree with that.

One of the off putting things about STD (besides the writing) is the fact that most of the characters are all clearly written to be relatable to zoomers. TNG era crews were professionals. They were working adults who were good at their jobs and got poo poo done. NuTrek era crews are all 20 somethings who are constantly overwhelmed and somewhere between the verge of an anxiety attack and just a straight up ugly-crying-on-the-job melt down. They're more interested and talking about their traumas with their found family than they are getting anything done. Zoomers, basically. There's one or two older people who are mostly there to be reassuring mentors and tell the kids what a good job their doing. I haven't watched SNW but every clip and trailer I've seen strongly suggests it's the same way. Ironically LDS, where this actually matches the premise, seems to dial it back to much more tolerable levels.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McSpanky posted:

That's a boomer's idea of zoomers.

Either way it sure doesn't feel like its made to appeal to me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The really convenient thing about any poster that still uses “STD” as an acronym for Disco up front is that you can immediately recognize that their post is poo poo without having to read the rest of it.

Lol sorry if I failed to show Mushroom Boogaloo the reverence it deserves.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This is a great example of why prequels are garbage and make every setting worse.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's no way you can put tens of thousands of Romulans awake on a generational ship and not have them all murdered by the time you reach your destination.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LividLiquid posted:

They have replicators, so if they have an economy at all, it's one borne of artificial scarcity, which would be really interesting to explore.

If they announce the next NuTrek spinoff is going to explore Klingon and Romulan NFTs, that will be the day I truly am finished with Star Trek forever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's been forever since I watched Voyager, but I remember my biggest complaint was they completely ignored the general premise. It probably did come up occasionally and I'm just not remembering it.

The ideas that two crews who hate each other and are forced to work together and survive was completely dropped after Bellana became chief engineer a few episodes in, and it comes up once more where all it results in is Tuvok forcing the 4 most rebellious Maquis to run laps in high G.

The fact that they're far away and have no support from the Federation rarely comes up beyond "we can't replicate all the food we want and have to eat this awful root from funny alien man lol"

Most episodes they barely seem to care about getting home, they're just another comfy Federation ship going from one planet of the week to the next. Overall the whole show felt like a way to use warmed over rejected TNG scripts. There are multiple times when they could have gotten home earlier but just didn't. The time Q offered being the most egregious that I can remember. I assume Janeway never told anyone or put in her logs that she turned down his offer, because if the crew ever found out they should have mutinied.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
DS9 has always been my favorite, but I feel the exact opposite way.

TNG, once it hit its stride, is very consistent. Some episodes are better than others of course, but I can't think of any real stinkers beyond Season 3.

DS9 on the other hand, god love it, it's got some of the best episodes of Trek period, but when it has a bad episode, it has a really bad episode. Higher highs and the lowest of lows too.
Melora, Meridian, that episode where Quark yells at his mom and cross dresses, the episode where Worf becomes a terrorist cause his GF is horny. Oof.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It was originally staffed by nazis?

I wonder if this avatar has some strong preexisting opinions about NATO.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

galenanorth posted:

There was that episode where Harry Kim has a forbidden romance with an alien and transmits or gets an STD, then he goes on a Frank Grimes-style rant about how such behavior wasn't expected from "good Harry Kim", and the whole episode felt kind of meta about Harry Kim. "The Disease" (S05E17)

I don't know if it really counts as meta, isn't the episode where Kim straight up says it's bullshit he's been serving on this crew for years without a promotion and Janeway just shrugs and says well, someone's gotta be the ensign.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Timby posted:

Basically, every opportunity they had to trip over their own dicks, they took, and then they invented all new ones on top of that.

The same could be said of Disco Season 1. Which explains why Klingons are twice as bad as the rest of the show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The version I heard was that the casting director made the decision to cast all black people. Gene was furious when he found out and the casting director was fired immediately, but if they were gonna bang one of these out a week they had to use the hired cast anyways.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's been forever since I watched Datalore, but the way I remember it, most of the bridge crew, or at the very least Picard, was already suspicious of the Lore switcheroo, and were quietly setting a trap to either catch him or confirm their suspicions, and Weasley just barges in making accusations and nearly fucks the entire thing up. Maybe I should rewatch it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
These are amusing, keep going. The mention of how Geordie's visor works reminded me how in one of the early episodes, maybe in the pilot itself, Picard tells Geordie to go look out the window at the space mcguffin of the week, because he can see the full spectrum and obviously the big monitor in the front of the bridge is only broadcasting visible spectrum stuff. I remember thinking that was really cool once I knew what that meant. It really sucks it's never used again.

McSpanky posted:

"The new medical officer is a fox" nailed that one out of the gate :swoon:

You mean out of the Gates?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In the sexist as gently caress 80s, Carol Marcus: middle aged scientist, who does advanced scientific work and wears clothes like a person.

In the enlightened 2010s, Carol Marcus: oh no my titties is out. you didn't see did you teehee

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Into Darkness is the movie where the Klingons have really trendy forehead ridge piercings right?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McSpanky posted:

This is an edge case where the Federation working like Space America is just fine because the audience is fully willing to accept a question of fundamental rights being decided by single case precedent and that just being accepted for decades before anyone gets around to definitively settling the issue with a formal amendment/law.

At least we've got the fact that they completely forgot there was a ruling at all and went full slaver mode a few decades later.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sentient holograms are one of the most inconsistent things in Star Trek, which is saying something. The doctor was sentient because he has to run so long, even though he also started out that way in season 1. Then Moriarty is sentient from conception just because, but you have to disable safety protocols. Moriarty can easily make more sentient holograms, and so can those predator dudes from Voyager cause whatever. Seems like there would be some ethical concerns that any ship with a holodeck can easily create intelligent life but I guess it's not worth ever exploring how or why that's possible.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They're computer files, the idea of having too many or too few is ridiculous. All it takes is a little bit of ctrl+v and shift+del and you have the exact number you need at any given time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ravenson posted:

If nothing else, watching Yesteryear is a great examination of Spock. Even when TAS wasn't fully canon, Yesteryear was the exception.

Yesteryear is only the second episode. I watched it a few weeks ago, and it makes the whole "Michael was always Spock's sibling and here are some flashbacks of them competing as children" even dumber.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yesteryear being the exception

How can Yesteryear be the only canon episode when it directly contradicts Disco?

Is Disco officially not canon? I ask, with my heart in my throat.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McSpanky posted:

Yep, it was a pretty big shitshow all told. It was developed with virtually no QA, released about six months short of a full dev cycle, the initial release was treated like a live beta and they had about three months to fix as much as possible while also finishing development before the publisher cut the cord. No expansions, no DLC beyond the preorder bonuses, only as much mod support as a few devs on Discord could squeeze out in their off time. Womp womp.

This is a clear indication that the fans just aren't interested in a Star Trek game. Oh well, no need to considering making another one for another decade.

FuturePastNow posted:

The cool thing about Star Trek is they can just make a new timeline if they want

Timelines are so 2010s. The new hotness is a ~*~MULTIVERSE~*~

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gaz-L posted:

The current Trek TTRPG system has a setting book where one of the native species is kind of like this: It's actually pretty neat as a concept, in that the Federation are unclear if interacting with them counts as breaking the Prime Directive because they CAN build warp drives and spacecraft, it's just that their culture is such that they don't. So their society is pretty much Age of Sail in aesthetic and technology, but if they see a phaser they're like, "oh cool, is that using a phlebotnum power cell or unobtanium?"

Kinda sounds like the Ba'Ku from Insurrection, but not so much the age of sail aesthetic.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Halloween Jack posted:

There are so many things that Roddenberry apparently didn't want to be part of Star Trek, including zippers, that it makes me wonder what a Trek series would look like if every episode had to satisfy his conception of it 100%. Uncharitably, it seems like every episode would be some kind of psychosexual drama that happens due to the manipulations of godlike beings or people developing reality-warping superpowers.

Troi gets mentally violated 25 times a year, plus one clip show

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've always disliked when other people do this but now I guess it's my turn.

Is there an existing list of highlights/best episodes for Voyager and Enterprise?

I've been slowly going through TNG and DS9 with some friends who haven't seen Trek yet. It's been great but after a few years we're done with the best Trek Series; DS9. They really want to keep going, but the idea of watching a combined eleven seasons of Voyager and Enterprise makes me want to scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon. Part of me wants to skip ahead to Lower Decks, but since that is basically Trek References: The Show I can understand them wanting to at least have some familiarity with the others first.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Halloween Jack posted:

Forget about interpreting the story as supporting conversion therapy

I didn't realize it was possible to have negative media literacy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I imagine some species tend to group together. There was that ship with a vulcan crew, but that was captained by a racist. I heard there's a ship full of horta as well, that probably came from a novel. It's probably a lot easier to serve with people with similar physical and dietary requirements and cultural norms. I'd hate to be roommates with that species that visited DS9 one time and the atmosphere in their quarters was so toxic it dissolved the carpet. It would be nice to see some of those ships occasionally, especially if they're not captained by Captain Pointy Earred Racist.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Khanstant posted:

People's Joker really hammered in how overkill most visual effects are.

Is "The People's Joker" what we're calling the first Joker movie now, or the second one? The second one isn't out for a few more months right? Either way it sounds pretentious as gently caress and therefore quite fitting.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There are a few concept shots of Jadzia with the original Trill ridges. As I understand it, it was a combination of two things, first, Terry Farrell kept having some kind of reaction to the prosthetics, and second, one of the producers (one of the lovely ones) kept saying 'no, no, keep her sexy' while they were working on the design.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember back in the early days of the internet you could order really powerful green laser pointers online, blue ones too maybe? There were videos of people pointing them at balloons and they would pop. I always thought it would be cool to get one, but I never did, as you can tell by my still functioning vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

This would have been so much better if it was just a few frames later. Or have another shot underneath it from mid de-facing.