Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

dr_rat posted:

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

Eat the cereal, or be vaporized. It is only logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

When I'm Trekked up, that's the real me
When I'm Trekked up, that's the real me, babe

You only love me when I am
7 of 9

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The Higher Ground could of been a way better episode if they didn't focus on the weird transporter and focused more on the conflict between the terrorist group and the government.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think if they had focused on the Maquis as Federation citizens who were so dissatisfied with the war and couldn't find a place for themselves after what happened it would of worked better for what they were going for. The whole we deserve to lives on these colonies because we're Americans in the Federation reeks of privilege and colonizer mindset. Also the return to the land poo poo that Eddington adds makes it worse.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Computer, make an outfit capable of disgusting Jake Sisko

* processing sounds until infinity *

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It's amazing how much the First Duty is the prisoners dilemma for an hour.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
so its a Stellaris mod?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Well now we know what happened to Laris :v:

She's better off.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also the Solvang's Captain had already lost one ship and was not great under pressure.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean people failing upward in Starfleet or facing basically zero consequences for failure is the most realistic part of Star Trek so far, so I totally buy that Starfleet just gave her a pristine new California-class because her last one was a no-fault insurance write off.

Starfleet Insurance:

In which manner did you lose your ship?
[ ] - Hostile Galactic Power
[ ] - Unknown Alien Encounter
[ ] - Unexpected/Heretofore unknown anaomly
[ ] - Space possession
[ ] - Space God
[ ] - Crossing the galactic barrier
[ ] - Other, please explain

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Fighting Trousers posted:

*fills in longhand*
Weird...rear end...masks.

From: Starfleet Insurance and Requisition HQ (insurance@starfleet.terran)

Hi,

Again? Really?

I'll need the crew logs and all the data from the ships computer.

Just, maybe stay away from weird comets next time.

Thanks,

Lt. P'Nerious

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Would Khan fall under the 'hostile galactic power' or 'space God' category?

Probably should of added piracy as an option.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just mean like in general. The musical tastes of the crew are somewhat eclectic I guess.

I suppose it gets around copyright issues and trying to predict what would be popular contemporarily.

Jazz is a true American art form!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Go down deep enough on Voyager, and you come across an assembly line where crewmembers do nothing but build shuttles, all day long. Don't ask why they're dressed in spiked leather.

There's also a wheel that just gets pushed in circles while a big, deformed overseer cracks a whip at the thralls pushing it. Nobody knows what it does.

The astronaut picture but with Janeway holding a phaser to some poor Ensign's head.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MuddyFunster posted:

The Bonding is alright by me. Feels like another thematic follow on from Survivors, the alien species of the week offering the young lad Jeremy (ROBOCOP 2 KID) his own little fantasy world where he can live with his recently dearly departed mum. Very low key, but thoughtful, engaging and all the Wesley stuff is good, especially the scene with Beverly. The moment where he confesses that he can barely remember his dad's face, while she, holding back tears, tells him she sometimes remembers all too well, LOVELY. Likewise, the scene of Data and Riker where they're discussing crew deaths, Tasha's in particular. It's emotional, but never really tips the line into wailing melodrama. A hushed, mournful little ep.

I have a soft spot for The Bonding because of my own life, losing a parent early in life. Picard softening and telling Jeremey that he will never be alone and that he has family on the Enterprise to help is an amazing little line for a scared kid. I also like Worf and Troi's conversation at the start of the episode about how frustrating it is that random death took out someone and Worf has no way to direct his anger feels very real.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I get it's a whiplash in terms of how the character had been dealing with his Borg trauma, but the fact that we're seeing the most patient, clear-headed, and thoughtful officer in Starfleet lose his mind in a quest for revenge is a really good angle. Him dressing down Worf in that moment is both shocking but follows with his decline throughout the film. I do like that his rock bottom is calling Worf a coward instead of like mowing down a bunch of SF security guys who are about to get assimilated.

The scene between him and Alfre Woodard in the conference room is probably my most re-watched trek clip.

First Contact plot with Cochran is also pretty good about what history leaves out about great men and what they are doing. Cochran is just a dude, history will make up its own narrative one way or another. Which is an interesting thing for 1998 or whenever it came out. It did a Great Man plot better than most movies today.

Also, as someone who liked Picard Season 3 and didn't mind the assimilated youths thing, I did appreciate that Picard's solution was to sit with his son and just let him know he loved him and he was sorry and he will sit with him. Yah the Ent-D trench run is stupid but its actually, again, a very Trek/Federation thing to do. Try to have love or diplomacy win unless you absolutely have no choice.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Lieutenant Commander War Crimes reporting for duty sir

There is something about this Commander I just don't like but I can't put my finger on it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

In context, Dukat was weird and did care about having some kind of image of fairness because he wanted the image of being a savior and protector to the Bajorans, which may make even less sense, but then it's just about the bizarre eccentricities of Dukat (and I guess all the propaganda Dukat tried to put out about himself must've boosted Odo).

I just saw a reel on instagram where they talk about Harriet Tubman leading the Union Army to free slaves. At one point a slaveowner tells all his slaves to follow him into the woods to escape the Union Army, thinking they were loyal to him. They told him, yah buddy we'll be right behind you and as he ran into the woods was shocked, SHOCKED that the slaves abandoned him, he thought they understood he was giving him a good life or something.

Point being, everyone's the hero in their own story.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

1/3 of utter crap, 1/3 of forgettable filler and 1/3 of brilliance. The way they used to make TV-show seasons.

Pulling Up Memory Alpha and I am going to pull out every Average or above episode in my mind for TNG Season 1, 2, and 7:

Season 1:

Encounter at Fairpoint
Coming of Age
Heart of Glory
Arsenal of Freedom
Skin of Evil
Conspiracy
The Neutral Zone

Out of these I'd say maybe 3 of these are good to great (Arsenal, Skin of Evil, and Conspiracy).

Season 2:

Where Silence Has Lease
A Matter of Honor
The Measure of A Man
Q Who
Samaritan Snare
The Emissary
Peak Performance

I'd say all of these are good to great except for Where Silence Has Lease

Season 7:

Phantasms
Dark Page
Attached
Paralells
The Pegasus
Lower Decks
Thine Own Self
Eye of the Beholder
Preemptive Strike
All Good Things (possibly the best series finale of anything ever)

In the list there are three classics! The rest are fine to good. But looking at the rest of the season 7 list, most episodes veer between boring (Homeward, Bloodlines) or crazy (Masks, Sub Rosa).

So my purely scientific analysis says Season 7 is better.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

No Dignity posted:

I was like... it's good but it's not great, but most people seem to agree with you

Great twist but it kinda finds a boring way to get there in a lot of ways.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And why personality wipes in Babylon 5 are one of the most dystopian punishments since Miles' VR prison sentence.

Similarly, Nerve Stapling in SMAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Captain Keogh and the Odyssey Deserved Better