Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Republicans posted:

Not a big fan of these hour plus rhythm game showcases.

Find something else to do for a while. This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
This Dharma Doujo game is kind of incomprehensible.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bremen posted:

It took me a minute, but I think it's kind of clever. I'd play it.

Okay, yeah, I get it now.

Edit: Oh wow, Gauntlet for the NES is next. That was... not a good port.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cernunnos posted:

Sometimes. When it feels like it.

e; Also gently caress you Amazon. Streamlink plays back smoother than Twitch for me and now it's just broken.

The Twitch app has been pretty broken on Android TV devices since February. It doesn't play most streams without constantly skipping, and pressing buttons on the remote usually takes 3-8 seconds to respond. It's hot garbage, and after this long I suspect they won't bother to fix it.

Every other streaming app works perfectly on the TV - Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, you name it. But I'm having to Chromecast from my phone to watch GDQ on my new-ish TV because the Twitch app is so hosed.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Beasteh posted:

Hulk Funky

I'm shakin' my booty butt.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ravus posted:

Ok the sing-a-long would have worked much better live, hahaha.

Agreed. I'm happy there are some remote runs to let people participate who couldn't otherwise get on-site, but it has been a larger portion of runs than I'd expected. I hope in the future they'll shift more toward runners physically on the stage, and save remote runs for particularly special runners or game setups. The energy is so much better in-person, even during those quiet morning hours.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Chainclaw posted:

I'm sure the speedrun purists are upset, but I love all the dumb out of run gimmicks this year. The kazoo stuff for Twilight Princess is fun.

As someone who doesn't really enjoy the Zelda series*, it takes a good runner/couch to get me to watch a three-hour Zelda run.

This is a good runner/couch.

* Sorry! I've tried most of them, and none have really grabbed me beyond A Link to the Past.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Heartbreaking. He had effectively beaten the boss on the second attempt, but the fake death timer ran out before the boss did its DPS check animation (which the runner had clearly passed).

Great run either way. Gunfire Reborn is awesome, and I recommend it to anyone who likes cool FPS games. And it has fun online co-op too!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kestral posted:

It occurs to me that so many of these glitches are discovered only because SMB is maybe the most-played game of all time, and you've got an infinite-monkeys-infinite-typewriters effect going where every event, no matter how improbable, has likely happened at least once. Which makes me wonder about one of those unanswerable questions: what's the greatest speedgame that nobody knows is actually a great speedgame? The greatest glitch that will never be discovered or popularized because the game itself won't be played enough to uncover it? All these world records lost, like tears in the rain~

On the other hand, it's kind of awesome because it means there's always something new to discover, even in popular games.

During the (I think) Majora's Mask run, someone mentioned that they were using a glitch that had been discovered three days before.

Heck, they just figured out there was a two-player mode in Super Punch Out last year, and that game is nearly 30 years old. That one's not applicable to speedrunning, but it's evidence that even well-loved games are still hiding some secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

A jargogle posted:

Twitch vods work and there's a reddit thread somewhere that has timestamps for particular runs

This thread has links to the timestamped Twitch VODs as well as the YouTube links for the runs that have been uploaded:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/13u4weq/sgdq_vod_thread_2023/