Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
SC2 Trilogy in a nutshell: Great fun gameplay, absolutely poo poo story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

The Protoss not being as smart or competent as they think they are is completely in character and also the reason for why a lot of things in Starcraft 1 and Brood War happened the way they did.

Yeah, the Protoss Conclave was a big reason why poo poo went badly for a while, those guys were pretty dumb.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So i'm guessing that Matt Horner is supposed to be the Magistate stand-in from SC1 since they can't have the player character be a person?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
They should have upped the damage their fire does to biological targets by *a lot* if they want people to actually use these things.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how *could* you fix the Firebats?

Make them attack in a giant 90 degree angle representing them just waving their arms around unleashing a wave of fire at anything in front?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I'm guessing they're *far* more useful in a Bunker than actually running around on the field?

At least against Zerg.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Bit late, but that line was so badass to young me and really got me hyped for the continuation of the story, and what Raynor was eventually going to have to give up to achieve his revenge.

And then Starcraft 2 happened and I felt like I was having an aneurysm as I experienced that plot.

:sigh: Same.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

By popular demand posted:

It is not a subtle plotline.
completely stinks of being written and rewritten until any spark of originality was dulled.

He's also a character that showed up in a comic that came out to retcon the cancelled game Starcraft Ghost's story into the normal story.

I personally dislike adding characters from comics unless it's done well since most people will not have read it and will confuse the story, like how Assassin's Creed also did with a few of it's characters.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I get the impression that someone wanted the Terran campaign to feel like a gang of, well, outlaws and antiheroes on the run before someone decided to make it a very simplistic heroic rebels versus evil empire plot.

Having the plot be more advanced than just what we got might be too much for the Blizzard writing team though, they're not very good at making plots that make sense.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I feel like the Goliath is just way too squishy for a "frontliner", it's only got as much HP as a upgraded Marauder for about 50% more cost to build as well as an extra supply.

I suppose these upgrades makes it more likely to be in the back now which might make it better for an AA role and thus less likely to just die.

The Spectre/Ghost debate I can't say much about although It's really stupid for Raynor to just go "oh ok, sure I'll do that" to Nova's request when you remember that Ghosts are all mentally indoctrinated by the ones that use them, be they the Confederates or the Dominion to be as loyal as possible.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

The real reason he's suspicious is because voodoo dolls are not actually related to voodoo and that's how you know he's an infiltrator or other less than recommendable personage.

Apparently the reason why he's all into voodoo is because his grandma thought his psionic abilities were voodoo-related and then they got tossed out of his hometown because people got afraid of his "weirdness".

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I like the dong-gun that's just there for flavor.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
They really did completely fumble the ball here with the story, this "prophecy" nonsense makes everything a mess.

They *really* should have just kept the ideas and aesthetics of the first game than going for this tripe, IMO.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

Valerian Mengsk is... well... Mengsk's son. He was introduced in the Dark Templar Saga series of novels, and is literally the only thing to really carry over into SC2 despite the Saga being written specifically to give story hooks for SC2. His entire thing is comprised of being a Not rear end in a top hat Mengsk and being an archeology fan, and the latter rarely comes up here.

One thing to note here is that his mother was a Umojan, they're a bit more technologically advanced than the rest of the Terrans and we'll see them later on.

Lt. Danger posted:

no, it was pretty obviously xel'naga Duran was referencing. it was always gonna be the xel'naga returning

That makes me wonder about a storyline about Duran and the return of all the rear end in a top hat Xel'nagas and them getting their asses kicked for the last time by an united front of all the races tired of their poo poo would have fared instead of what we got in this trilogy.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 30, 2023

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

big ol' spoilers for all SC2 campaigns: that is what happens

I meant in a way that doesn't *suck*.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
As it turns out, brain rot does not in fact stop but progress until there's only rot left.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Calax posted:

It didn't help that right as Esports began to take off, and popularity of Starcraft 2 was at it's absolute peak... a vast network of corruption was uncovered in the main (South Korean) scene that murdered it.

Oh wow, i hadn't heard of that, what exactly happened?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Like... if you were a competent writer, and you were dealing with a Super Spooky Monsterman that had been hinted at like... over ten years ago in a much-beloved expansion and was otherwise largely undetailed... I feel like what you'd do would be to have it pop up briefly in a cutscene or maybe a single mission without getting blasted wide open, just to scare the player a bit and drive up some sense of urgency and worry.

And then a bit later have them show up, but be undefeatable, as something to be avoided or distracted rather than killed, to establish that they don't just LOOK scary but ARE scary.

Yeah, this wasn't a great showing of the Hybrid.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Poil posted:

The predator is fermenting garbage. The only things not crushing it are groups of lightly armed and unarmored targets. It seems more like the Dominion developed it as "crowd control" to mow down riots and protests rather than something intended for a battlefield.

Does makes sense, they do love killing civilians from what we've seen.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Xarn posted:

By making the outcome change so that your choice was always the correct one, you get around that, even if it is lovely writing.

I feel that's just a massive cop-out though.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Me too buddy, me too.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

It's all gone wrong. Everything's... twisted, and there's something out there that's set to destroy us all.

It's called "Bad Blizzard Story Writing", Jimmy.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
One thing to note is that there's actually a small "secret" with the Ghost gear in the Armory, if you look at it long enough a thing happens.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I remember Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries had different paths if you failed some of the main missions, one mission it's actually *good* to fail since that leads to you getting some good gear.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I like the spider-mines in the Armory, they sometimes have a little leg duel for dominance.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Poil posted:

He'd need to snort a big load of solarite to deal with that.

He's all about that Solarite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sdWlqkrTd8

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 10, 2023

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It probably would have done a lot better had they not done that for some godawful reason.

I mean, what did they *expect* would happen when they announce a new XCOM game and it's a shooter?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

It kind of strikes me as odd that Kerrigan calls up Raynor on the Space Hologram Phone. You'd figure she'd do some spooky telepathy or a giant psionic illusion or something, or maybe send a letter via mutalisk pigeon or whatever the Zerg do for long distance calls.

Well, she has all these Infested Command Centers around so might as well use them?

PurpleXVI posted:

The Overmind had its biological imperatives on behalf of the Swarm, SC1/BW Kerrigan had a whole lot of spite and scores to settle, SC2 Kerrigan has her scores largely settled and it feels has been established as being a different thinker than the Overmind, so where are her goddamn motivations, Blizzard?

Probably in a side-mission/comic/book, like several of the other people we've seen so far.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

painedforever posted:

Evil's good. Evil's fun. Evil gets poo poo done.

This is why I like the Dungeon Keeper games.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Going after Raptor zerglings seems a lot better when you consider it also makes them lunge at enemies, getting that extra movement into melee range is invaluable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm sure multiple people out there are convinced that putting half the plot in EU novels and comics makes them sell like hot cakes despite all the existing evidence that they absolutely do not sell anything like the main games or movie tickets do.

I don't like when they do that, that makes it so the story *assumes* you have read those and if you haven't even heard that they existed then you will be confused.