Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Man, this game. The amount they've botched the story is impressive and we're already seeing it. But the campaigns are incredibly fun to play though. Blizz may have completely lost their way on the writing but the campaign gameplay and missions were excellent.

PurpleXVI posted:

If I might make a suggestion, though? Reduce your screenshots to 900 pixels or so wide, it makes the thread a LOT more readable.
I was actually going to make a similar suggestion about reducing the height because holy hell do the screenshots seem *really* big vertically as I'm reading the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Even the setting, Mar Sara, is useful for reinforcing this. The OP rolled his eyes at this choice seeing it as empty fanservice and/or ham-fisted "full circle" storytelling because it's where the first game, and Raynor's story, started. I think it's a perfect sign of the decadence of false prosperity of the Dominion's fascism. Remember, Arcturus made his capital on Korhol, a desert planet consumed by the Terran Confederacy's nuclear hellfire and still suffering the ravages of radioactive fallout, just for the sake of the symbolism. The resources he squandered making it not just livable, but the center of government and commerce for an interstellar empire (and we'll see how successful he was at that in this game, especially compared to how the place looked in Brood War) are staggering to contemplate. In light of that, why not recolonize Mar Sara? What better empty gesture toward your government's greatness and triumph over the alien than to go back to a world they glassed and rebuild it, not matter how absurd the expense or how much suffering the colonist have to endure to make it happen? Sure, they have to live in a hellish police state and struggle to eke out a subsistence lifestyle, but at least you got to run up the flag and cut a ribbon!
The key problem with this argument is that two years between the end of the Brood Wars (when Arcturus regained his power) just doesn't seem like remotely enough time to rebuild a planet that (checks post) had the planet's matter distorted, the surface covered in magma, and most of the atmosphere burned away. Remember that the end of Brood War had Mengsk's empire needing to get rebuilt after the mess of the UED then Zerg rampaging through it. Oh, and don't forget that Mengsk needed to call in all sorts of favors and loans and promises to get his final fleet to stop Kerrigan at the end of BW - which then got completely obliterated and presumably needed to be rebuilt from scratch to hold the empire together.

So like, in 2500, he's so short on soldiers ships, and equipment that he has to play tons of politics to even defend his own territory against the omnipresent Zerg threat, but within two years, he's got enough free liquidity to throw away resources completely rebuilding the entire ecological system and atmosphere of a lovely backwater colony nobody cared about?

Even in a soft sci-fi setting with Space Magic, that really stretches credibility. Mengsk has dozens of higher priority ways to spend his time and money during the two years between BW and the recolonization. If he wanted an empty propaganda gesture, it's much more reasonable to just leave the planet glassed as a constant reminder of the need for unity, how only I can protect you, how the Zerg are still a threat which justifies my tight-fisted rule and et al...then use those resources in a more productive fashion.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Personally, my theory is that Blizzard had much the same mentality that EA did when handing Bioware orders about Mass Effect 3: they did not want to create a feeling that players of this game needed to play the previous game(s) to understand what's going on.

Starcraft 2, to me, feels like a very generic space opera setting. Tychus is the everyman viewpoint character so the writers can explain the setting to the audience, everyone's histories and motives are simplified (dumbed down, if you prefer), the story is a very simple heroic rebels versus evil empire tale for the most part in Wings, and the mandatory ancient precursor race goes from an occasionally-mentioned curiosity to a driving force of the plot.
Even if that was their mentality, it's still completely scuffed with tons of unnecessary changes. For example, enough stories have "main character swore revenge and is finding a way to get it" as a basic storyline that you could absolutely have kept Raynor hating Kerrigan's guts.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I really like the freeform mission setup. It really adds variety to campaign replays because going in different order completely changes your available options for a given mission. But as we'll see, the missions also tend to be balanced well enough that you're not going to screw yourself even if your mission order means you end up missing out on key units for a long time - some units might make certain missions easier of course, but I never felt like there was a mission where I was in deep poo poo because I hadn't yet unlocked X or Y.

As for upgrades, Stimpacks are a no-brainer since they're basically the defining feature of Marines. Interesting you took the Bunker personnel upgrade though. I personally never bothered to take it, since I always found that four in a Bunker was plenty when supported by SCV's and other units.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

The "unit showcase mission" feels like design that Blizzard first experimented with in Warcraft 3, and honestly? I really don't like it. To me it means that until the very last couple of missions, everything feels like you're still playing a tutorial, because every mission is designed to give your latest toy some special attention rather than forcing you to engage some brain gears.
I actually love the mission design for that exact reason. You actually get to enjoy and show off your new toys, as opposed to a lot of games (e.g., SC1) where you basically just don't use some units, ever.

It also makes various missions feel more distinct, rather than a lot of SC1 where so many missions feel repetitive because, for example, "tanks and tanks and tanks" is a viable answer to almost every single Terran mission once you get them.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 17, 2023

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I always chuckle at the arcade game being named The Lost Viking. Very nice subtle callback to Blizzard's classic SNES puzzle games.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

painedforever posted:

So, you get limited cash throughout the campaign, right? Is it better to buy upgrades for units, or to buy mercenaries?
The good upgrades are better, but mercs are surprisingly solid because of two quirks:
1.) They all come from the Merc Compound and don’t require the normal tech tree, so for high tech units, it lets you get them out easier and earlier in the mission.
2.) Mercs show up instantly when bought. AI shows up with an attack force when you weren’t paying attention / just sent off your own army / whatever? No problem, just summon some mercs to save your rear end. Or bring them in right before you get ready to attack as a quick supplement to your forces.

They also (like all Terran units) can be healed, which synergizes very nicely with their much higher stats.

I wouldn’t buy a Merc contract over a key unit upgrade, but if you’ve got some spare cash, I found them better than some of the “meh” upgrades.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Koorisch posted:

I'm guessing they're *far* more useful in a Bunker than actually running around on the field?

At least against Zerg.
Nope. In addition to their already-discussed DPS issues, Firebats actually take up 2 slots in a bunker, so it gets compared to two Marines (or one Marauder, a straight up better unit). If you got attacked exclusively by Zerglings, maybe you could make an argument for the Firebat, but the instant the AI sends almost any other unit in their entire arsenal as part of their army, Firebats fall way behind compared with the other options you could have in that Bunker space.

If you're given Firebats as part of your starting forces and you have spare Bunker space, you might as well put them in there as "meh might as well, better than nothing", but that's the best you can say.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Which makes the fact that their first instinct was to turn humans into bombs a bit of an insult to our usefulness.
I mean, they aren’t wrong, since Terrans/humans are basically all about tech rather than natural physical prowess. Marines and Firebats in their suits, special units like Ghosts and Medics with specialized tech, piloted vehicles, etc.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I found Reapers to be slightly useful in the campaign for scouting and to grab caches since they're fast and mobile. It's true most of the enemy stuff is fixed, but that's not really relevant if you're playing casually since you won't know the maps ahead of time anyways. I never built more than a couple of course, but since you already have the building pre-reqs, building 2-3 usually felt like they at least served enough of a purpose that I didn't regret having them around.

In future expansions, Reapers got some pretty interesting buffs. The "damage versus Light" was replaced with just straight damage so their overall DPS is something like 30% higher, while also removing the Tech Lab requirement and giving them out of combat regeneration. Still pretty limited usage though because they have uses early game but fall off fast in the mid-game once air units come into play - both because Reapers can't defend against them and also because Reapers' main niches (scouting, attacking workers from unexpected directions) can be better handled by fliers.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

The only saving grace for this mission on Brutal for me was trying to grab as many altars as possible in one go, since their counterattacks don't really scale up even if you're taking more than one at once. The colossi are such a big problem here so I found the attrition really problematic otherwise.

Cythereal posted:

For me, the trick to this mission is that the SCVs only need to return the canister to a command center. And command centers can relocate. Say, right next to an altar. Simplifies things quite a bit.
Combining both of these posts together is basically the speedrun strat for this mission: Simultaneously mine the four geysers closest to your starting base, then relocate the CC and SCV's to the right side of the map and collect those three geysers simultaneously too.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Regarding Tosh, I just chuckle that a primary piece of 'evidence' for him being untrustworthy is that he destroyed a Dominion weapons facility. That's a perfectly reasonable target for a rebellion. poo poo, if the intel about the factory had come to Matt Horner rather than Tosh, that could very well have been a covert mission Raynor's Raiders pulled off themselves!.

I know the focus is supposed to be on the fact thousands of civilians died, but c'mon, that's on Mengsk for building the weapons facility in a residential neighborhood in the first place. Frankly, Mengsk is enough of an amoral rear end in a top hat that he probably chose the location specifically because of the potential collateral damage/human shields.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

disposablewords posted:

Yeah, "artifact radiation" would read a little less dumb if someone was just like, "okay, this strange radiation these artifacts emit..." "artifact radiation, gotcha, get on with it."
Given that Tychus learned of this mission from Mobius, it's entirely possible that *was* what happened off-screen.

Mobius representative: We have another mission for you on the planet Xil. We had originally detected an important artifact based on the ionic emanations of the site and (begins to start continuing with scientific explanation)
Tychus: (cutting him off) Let me stop you right there, partner cuz I got no idea what that sciencey bullshit you're spoutin' means. Some kind of artifact radiation or somethin'?
Mobius representative: :sigh: Fine, let's just go with that, artifact radiation. Anyways, what we need from your mercenary friend...

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

rastilin posted:

Like it would be more novel at this point if Raynor was completely mentally balanced and super competent. Like, clean cut, no alcohol, no inner demons, just completely nailing "cognitive behavioral therapy" and was just great at handling interpersonal conflict and providing counseling.
That doesn't make sense for post-BW Raynor though.

Raynor has been through way too much poo poo to have "no inner demons, completely nailing therapy, and just great at handling interpersonal conflict and providing counseling". He *should* be emotionally hosed up after being betrayed by the Confederacy at Mar Sara, being betrayed again by his former ally/superior Mengsk, then being betrayed again (#3!) by his former crush Kerrigan. Oh, and Kerrigan's betrayal also included the murder of his closest comrade-in-arms (Fenix), and a bunch of Protoss troops who helped Raynor survive Aiur. And then for the past four years, he's been hunted as a wanted criminal and has probably seen yet more friends die at the hands of his former ally Mengsk in occasional close calls, narrow escapes, etc.

If he didn't have mental and emotional scars, remorse, self-doubt, etc after going though all that poo poo? That wouldn't be a sign that he's "completely mentally balanced", it'd be a sign that he's incredibly abnormal.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

rastilin posted:

Are you saying that a mentally abnormal person is completely unsuited to be a protagonist in a Blizzard Entertainment game?
No, but I certainly wouldn't use your phrasing of "completely mentally balanced" to describe a Raynor who was emotionally cool with all the poo poo that's gone down.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Stare at the rock. Get all the Protoss stuff done at once IMO because holy crap is it a mess story wise. Fun to play though.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

I wonder what's worse - SC2 writing or Shadowlands writing.
YMMV, but for me, the answer is unquestionably Shadowlands writing and it's not even close. A lot of SC2's lovely writing feels more self-contained, whereas Shadowlands' bullshit rewrites the entirety of previous Warcraft lore, the previous triumphs and failures, etc and makes most of it feel irrelevant due to forcing in the Jailer as some genius pulling every single string ever.

Or to put it differently: SC2's writing was a mess, but it doesn't make me look back and retroactively think less of SC/BW's storylines; it feels more like a bad sequel where things went off the rails. Shadowlands' writing worked so hard to invalidate all the previous storylines that the storylines of previous games/expansions actively feel worse because I know that canonically, it was all basically pointless - and even the successes were meaningless due to the Jailer's long long long con planning for us to temporarily succeed to further his plan.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Torrannor posted:

There's no prospective follow-up to SC2, but WoW continues onwards.
The time frame between Brood War and the next Starcraft game was about 12 years. So with the end of SC2 coming out in 2016 with the Nova DLC, Blizzard still has a solid half-decade before SC3's potential completion date of 2028. Plenty of time, they're still on schedule! :v:

The non-joke answer of course is the boring business reality: WoW continued because it's a subscription MMORPG which needs to pump out a game every 24 months to keep people subbed while SC is an RTS that people buy once.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

There's been numerous allegations from relatively reliable sources that Blizzard tried to make a Destiny clone based on Starcraft, an MMO looter shooter, after SC2.

Less reliable are claims that Blizzard tried to make a Battlefield type game with the property.

If there was ever a traditional MMO envisioned for the Starcraft universe, I haven't heard about it beyond wild speculation.
I've never even heard/read much in the way of "wild speculation" about it.

And based on what we know, there's no obvious point where it would have made sense for Blizzard to be secretly working on a World of Starcraft. When they were developing WoW as their first foray into the genre, the Starcraft IP was being developed for Ghost. Once WoW became wildly successful and they decided to build a successor to WoW, they instead chose to do Titan rather than using one of the existing IP. Then they canceled Titan rather than compete with their own still highly-successful product.

So while I'm sure they had some meetings or internal discussions about the concept over the years, there's not much reason to think they actually did any real development.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

One interesting quirk of the fact Archons can now be created with any pair of Templar is that they have a variable cost depending on which combo of units you combine - 100 minerals/300 gas, 175/275, or 250 of each. In practice, this never really felt relevant to me since I'd just merge whatever made situational sense - heavily injured guys, a high templar who was dry on energy, or whoever happened to be conveniently located when I wanted some juicy Archon firepower. I assume in multiplayer people do a lot more planning and thoughtfulness into their Archon merges though.

PurpleXVI posted:

Like... if you were a competent writer, and you were dealing with a Super Spooky Monsterman that had been hinted at like... over ten years ago in a much-beloved expansion and was otherwise largely undetailed... I feel like what you'd do would be to have it pop up briefly in a cutscene or maybe a single mission without getting blasted wide open, just to scare the player a bit and drive up some sense of urgency and worry.

And then a bit later have them show up, but be undefeatable, as something to be avoided or distracted rather than killed, to establish that they don't just LOOK scary but ARE scary.
I wonder if they were trying to build that tension by having the same one just resurrect so quickly, to produce a feeling of hopelessness as you see it just continually coming back and "what the gently caress, how can we deal with this self-reviving monster".

Of course, given that multiple people have said they totally forgot this mission existed (and add me to that count too), it's pretty clear that fell completely flat.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Void Seeker: Prioritizes speed and subtlety over weaponry
Also Void Seeker: Does 200 damage per shot

Should we stop saying "En Taro Tassadar" now? The noble sacrifice that made him a rallying cry was apparently neither noble (Overmind was on our side all along!) nor a sacrifice (he can never die?).

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ulmont posted:

The second objective for that mission makes it clear that it's going to do nothing but waste your time from the point the first objective is achieved onwards.
If you think it's "wasting your time", I'm guessing you just don't like the entire basic concept of the mission (totally fair, it's not everybody's cup of tea).

Because for anybody who likes the basic concept of the mission and is trying to do their best to live up to it, you're likely to last well beyond the targets for both objectives unless you're way over your head on difficulty level. The challenge isn't in simply meeting the objectives, it's seeing just how much beyond that you can go.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

There's another big argument for cellular reactors over bioregenative steel: look over at the next options for the protoss tree. One of those units heals mech. With energy. At a rate substantially higher than 0.6 hp/s.
Alternatively, you can just bring along a SCV (walking behind your main force a little or safely tucked away in a dropship) and let that handle your between-combat repairs. Unless the regeneration rate of biosteel was high enough to actually save units mid-fight, it's just hard to argue for that much of a use case for "slowly heal back up between fights" when you've already got a much faster way to do it.

Frankly, cellular reactors would be hard to beat even if you buffed bio-regen. +100 starting energy is a huge buff to letting newly produced casters being immediately combat-ready...well, once we do missions to get them anyways.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

painedforever posted:

This sounds like the sort of thing I would do which makes me a bit suspicious about it. I read in a book about military tactics that amateurs are always looking for a superweapon or trick to overwhelmingly beat opponents, and solid (albeit) boring tactics in the hands of a veteran will win every single time.
That’s true but also: You know what other tactic leads to an amateur losing to a competently playing veteran?

Literally all of the usual tactics. If you’re completely outclassed, you’re almost never winning by playing it straight because of the raw skill difference. But maybe if you with an oddball high-variance strategy, you can get lucky and catch the opponent off-guard.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Torchlighter posted:

The counterpoint to that is that Starcraft, and SC2, isn't entirely a single battle so much as it is a resource war with a hugely abstracted logistics system attached to it, and one of the biggest advantages that veterans have over new players is a much better grasp of the logistics involved rather than micro advantage (although obviously they often have that as well). Moreover, the entire game is built around when you choose to compromise your economy to threaten your opponent with victory. Floating your command center actually exacerbates this disadvantage, handing both map control and economy time to your much stronger opponent without actually threatening them.

If you're looking for a high-variance oddball strategy, you're actually looking at cheese like the classic six-pool, cannon rushing or proxy barracks since those try to eliminate the economic skill disadvantage by A) limiting the time involved (and thus the advantage gained), B) betting on the lack of available information for their opponent and finally C) pressuring your opponent when they may be unready. The strength of SC2 is that no build is purely capable of answering all possible timing pushes, the veteran must choose which possible pushes they wish to counter, leaving them open to being blindsided.
That makes sense. I was more thinking about it in general terms of “if you play heads up you’re losing to a better player, so you have to try SOMETHING to win” - and in an SC specific context, I can see where (like you suggest) that something should be a different type of cheese strat rather than delaying your opening by flying elsewhere.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Raven sounds like it could be a really interesting addition as a spellcaster, but healing and Irradiate just seem too good to pass up. My understanding is that Ravens are, however, in the multiplayer Terran loadout, so anybody out there got comments on how they work in practice?

(edit: update near the end of previous page)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

I remain convinced that this is the one "Choose who to support" choice in Wings of Liberty where there is an objectively wrong choice.

I mean... Bisby said it. We are expected to take the word of a DOMINION GHOST, a psionic spy/assassin for Mengsk, at face value,
Also, did you notice what Nova didn’t say or do? Read again closely.

…Did you notice what was missing?

There’s literally zero promises of anything. No mention of her being on our side, no indication of her supporting us, no agreement to not flip on us to Mengsk immediately afterwards, or anything of that nature. There’s not even an indication that she will support us during the battle at Avernus. She doesn’t even attempt to refute Tosh’s “she won’t join you” argument!

For all we know, we’re target #2 on her list once eliminate target #1 of Tosh…or that she’s just using us as a guided missile to the Spectres hoping we wipe each other out and solve two problems at once.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 21, 2023

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ulmont posted:

Are the campaigns worth buying if I haven’t played them, and what’s up with the pricing? It looks like Wings of Liberty and the Protoss campaign are both free, I think, leaving it $15 for Heart of the Swarm and $10 for the Nova campaign, or…$40 for the collection which gets me in addition ???
Yes, they're worth buying. The storyline is dumb, but the missions are extremely fun and varied.

With your listed pricing, I'd go with the free Wings and Protoss, spend the $15 for Swarm and just play through those three major campaigns. The Nova campaign and the Legacy prologue were both fairly minor (still enjoyable, but not a big deal to miss).

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Will the Non-Canon Zone be able to show off the post-mission Hyperion Bridge dialogue too? I don't think I've ever actually chosen the Nova campaign side (because why the gently caress would you trust Nova over Tosh) and it'd be interesting to see just how Ariel, Horner, etc react.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nova's "not today" response to the question of whether she's about to betray and murder Raynor is very reassuring. Oh good, she's not going to immediately hunt us, excellent. I mean, given that Mengsk is undoubtedly giving Nova the "deal with this rear end in a top hat" order soon, but sure, that's technically not today.

I do like the crew's reactions here though. Horner, Tychus, and Swann all making the Kerrigan connection (each in their own way) seems pretty on-point.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Gleisdreieck posted:

Tychus is right. Jimmy isn't hitting on Hanson either. Is Raynor :gay: ?
No, Raynor's heart is just so focused on saving his true love Kerrigan from the Swarm that he doesn't even notice other women.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Gun Jam posted:

Can we just straight up abandon 'em?
If you're playing along at home, you can.

The way the mission structure works is that the first three Mar Sara missions (Outlaws/Liberation/Zero Hour) are required, then the Mobius Foundation missions are the only hard-required content. The other mission chains (Tosh, Haven, Matt's missions, Pondering) are optional, but you need to have a certain number of missions completed to unlock the next Mobius mission. Don't remember the exact numbers, but in practice, you need to do like 3 of those 4 mission chains start to finish to have enough completed missions to unlock the finale.

The speedrun totally ignores the entire Haven chain (unnecessary units) and also skips In Utter Darkness (20 minutes that can't be sped up), but needs to do every other mission to meet the final-mission unlock criteria.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

bladededge posted:

in the worst case for players being able to actually fail the campaign or make it significantly harder with enough bad decisions.
This would be absolutely terrible game design. Hey, you decided to do a bunch of the missions we offered you, now the campaign is ruined and you need to restart the entire campaign from scratch? That's a terrible idea given that nobody will know about that going in and most people are going to play the campaign once.

What would actually happen in practice is first-time players would still do all the side missions to see the content, get hosed over, realize they're hosed, and just leave pissed-off. They're not restarting the 20+ hour campaign, they're not reloading a save from 5 missions ago, they just walk away angry.

That said, there is an argument for doing what games normally do and making it feel like there's time pressure through dialogue (but without affecting the actual gameplay) - putting off Haven's missions makes Hanson more and more frantic about "people are dying out there! we need to help my people!", if you go several missions ignoring Matt's train robbery he questions whether Raynor is getting distracted from the primary goal of fighting Mengsk. Etc. Doesn't affect the missions, just gives it a different feel to the player.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Staltran posted:

The Dominion government isn't a hivemind, though. Even if we assume no one outside the government would be able to verify it, there would be people in the government who could, and it's unlikely all of them would be OK with Tarsonis.
We’ve seen plenty of evidence of this. Raynor hiding out successfully on Mar Sara. His personal assassin, Nova, being willing to work with his enemy. A major corporation directly funneling money to a rebel force. The media network still having enough independence to keep Kate on air.

Mengsk might be in power, but there’s clearly a pretty sizable base of powerful people in key places that are somewhere on the spectrum from “meh, whatever” to “actively undermining his rule”.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

You'd think the reveal of Tychus' kill-switch would prompt Raynor to do something, but since the mission is technically optional everyone will ignore it completely going forward.
Another part of the problem is that all these on-ship cutscenes are basically independent vignette discussions. If they were actual cutscenes which showed in sequence, you could very easily have the Matt/Raynor chat, then a follow-up Tychus/Raynor chat where Tychus waves it away with "yeah, that's how Mobius keeps me in line, but you know me Jimmy ol buddy, I already got a plan to break their deal, <vague reference to past capers/crimes done together>." Then Jimmy just sort of vaguely says how he's not sure about this and then Raynor just sort of lets the matter drop as long as Tychus continues to work against Mengsk.

But instead with the way the game chose to handle between-mission discussions, any of those Raynor/Tychus chats about the kill switch happen totally off-screen.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

Also I've heard rumors that starcraft 3 is all-but-confirmed to be being developed currently, which confuses the hell out of me.
Supposedly a journalist very plugged in ActiBlizz confirmed on Twitter that Starcraft 3 was in development a couple months ago, but deleted the tweets shortly thereafter. The general consensus seems to be that SC3 will get announced at BlizzCon in November.

Blizzard delivered two major games this year, Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2, the current iterations of WoW and Hearthstone keep chugging along in their current forms, so a new Starcraft seems to be their only real option to continue an existing series. And in terms of development time, the gap between Brood War (1999) and Starcraft 2 (2010) was 12 years. Legacy of the Void is now 8 years old, so if you assume they're early in development and a couple years away, it seems pretty reasonable to think they're moving on SC3. The only real confusion is the usual "god I'm fuckin old, how is that eight years ago" sense of time.

Who the gently caress knows about the story though. SC2 veers far enough from the 'expected' track from the end of BW that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see SC3 take a hard pivot from the ending of Legacy of the Void.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Poil posted:

Maybe it's Mobious that handles everything Tychus, including monitoring (if they even bother), and they probably don't give the tiniest poo poo about what he does unless it were to go against THEIR plans.
Along these lines, it feels pretty ironic just how much cleaner the Mengsk storyline would be if they were actually the ones sprung Tychus.from prison like he claims. Pretty much all the issues people are raising fall into place if Tychus wasn't lying about it being Mobius.

-Mobius is the one in charge of Tychus and they're secretly undermining Mengsk, which explains all sorts of things about why Mengsk isn't stopping Tychus, the kill-switch, etc.
-Tychus not being aimed at Raynor personally suddenly makes sense since Mobius sees Raynor's Raiders as a useful pawn and doesn't have the personal history like Mengsk does.
-It even helps explain how Matt is able to pull off this mission, because a wealthy corporation with powerful connections is quietly smoothing the path in front of Matt.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

aniviron posted:

I played Wings but haven't touched the other two; if there are follow-up LP threads for the other parts of SC2 I dread to see what happens to the writing.
Did you enjoy the gameplay of Wings when you played it? If you did, I'd actually suggest giving the other two games a try, because the base SC2 game-play remains just as solid going forwards and each game provides some interesting missions and twists on the campaign formula.

But yes, the writing is a loving disaster area.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I also don't quite get it. Is the idea that the Dominion stole some hybrids and were poking them with sticks to see what they were? Or that the Dominion were helping Duran make them? Or that there were two simultaneous war crime experiments going on?
You might remember from Brood War that Duran said it didn't matter if destroyed that research facility because he'd already seeded "many, many worlds" with the hybrid while in many names over the millennia. Duran was also conniving/manipulative enough to get the UED admiral to murder his best friend (!) so it's not hard to imagine that he'd be able to successfully play around with bureaucratic paperwork.

Also, it's spoilers to describe in detail, but let's just say that as usual, the variable mission structure means that there's some information we could already have that helps answer your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, but even if no one in the main cast knows it's just insulting that Blizzard went for something as low effort as the ol' 'just flip their name bro' plan. Especially for someone who's been working towards this for god knows how long.
They had to make it blatantly obvious with the name because we-the-players are supposed to realize it. Yes, logically, the immortal shapeshifter should have a totally random generic name like Johnny Smithson to go along with his brand new visage as a grizzled old white guy.

But if they’d done that, literally nobody would have made the connection. It needs to be obvious because you’re intended to figure out it’s Duran, wonder what the gently caress, and become even more suspicious of Mobius’ motives in pulling Tychus strings.