Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's already too drat hot, whatever happened to the perma-drizzle of my youth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Skull perch for the crow and some lovely dribbly candlework, 10/10

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

jaete posted:

Hey friends, asking for advice again. A friend of mine has been living in London for many years. Some five years ago he didn't have much money, so he asked the council for some mercy on the council tax. As I understand it the council reduced his council tax to zero temporarily (I think?) and also even paid him some living support or whatever it was, a bit of money each month straight to his bank account, for a couple years.

Of course now they are saying he has to pay back every penny, because gently caress you. The bill is around five grand. He can pay in installments and whatnot but still... I'm not sure on what grounds they're asking for the money back, there was no fraud he was really penniless, and it was several years ago.

Friend called the council and they said that, apparently, HMRC had sent them a letter saying this guy is some kinda moocher or whatever, and that's the basis for the council demanding the money back. :confused:

I don't know anything at all about this stuff, as usual, but the whole thing just seems like bullshit to me. So my question is: is there some kind of charity advice thing that could help my friend here? At the very least he should try to file some kind of complaint or something against the council, rather than just succumb and pay them. Like, at least find out the real reason and real details about why he's being asked to pay this back, based on what kind of calculation.

Super glad I am myself a rich wanker who has never needed to ask any public body here for anything, loving hell.

Definitely try to not pay it if it's bullshit, but worst case I think HMRC debts can be paid interest-free over 10 years of not more (I've been paying £20.83 per month for overpaid benefits for about five years now and probably ought to check when I can expect to stop)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

He'll be hopping mad to have been caught after all that time

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kick out everyone who clapped at 5 minutes in this video: https://youtu.be/yltG_6ho__g

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly the loving gall of it talking about the cost once house price is taken into account. Housing should not be the central loving commodity for gently caress's sake.

I don't know, if it helps people to feel like it's a good decision even if they're not set on staying in their current home for 20 years it's probably a good thing, the more people we get chucking solar on their roofs the better (I'd like to do ours but we're probably moving in two years if not sooner so it'd be an expensive way to help the planet.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/petertatchell/status/1665058306182742017?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Huh, they've officially lost Peter Tatchell. That's a significant indicator of the melty soft-left starting to rediscover their long-buried survival instincts.

He's been a Green since 2004, unless he switched back under Corbs

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The funniest part of that article is

"Meanwhile The Mail on Sunday has learned that Prince Andrew has invited family friend Katherine Keating, 41, daughter of former Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating, to Epstein’s mansion.

He was pictured looking around the doorway of the disgraced billionaire’s home on December 6, 2010 as he said goodbye to him.

A source said: ‘Andrew told Emily Maitlis in her Newsnight interview that he had gone to New York to cut ties with Epstein, so it seems counter-intuitive that he felt comfortable enough to invite an old friend of the family to have tea. You must be wondering what he was thinking?"

I was only in there to get directions on how to get away from there.

e: 10 is the number on the door of a house in London often frequented by terrible nonces

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Payndz posted:

I just realised that I've been confusing Kiss with Aerosmith for many years, so I couldn't name a single one of Kiss's songs.

That's reasonable, they're shite

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Can't believe they got the name of Bannau Brycheiniog wrong.

Welsh is not an acceptable form of racial pride

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

SHOCK as Labour say they might not actually spend £28B per year on the Climate Investment Pledge

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1667070767828291584

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bambos Charalambous suspended, presumably for sex-pestery

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

RIP Islington North CLP

https://twitter.com/IslingtonNorth/status/1667144694420185088?t=p2uHrzrVlFhkceSAmdYqFA&s=19

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

The Star of David on a pig is a little :chloe:

It would be in isolation, sure, but if it's there with a bunch of other symbols then it feels more ok

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

@Camrath I might have suggested this before but have you tried approaching your local National Trust sites as potential stockists? It's a bit of a ballache to get set up and there are a million fudge companies around already but yours is genuinely excellent and good local products always go down well. Probably worth a quick email or two, maybe drop some samples off to a couple of shop managers and let them push it through the system of they're keen.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jedit posted:

There's nothing to get in Friends. A friend of mine inflicted an episode on me and there literally weren't any jokes in it. One of the male leads who isn't David Schwimmer opens the door and enters the apartment. The laugh track goes off. My friend laughs, a Pavlovian response. Repeat for 23 minutes.

I can see why you evidently like it though.

Friends was filmed in front of an audience iirc

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Probably noone I just assumed from the prime minister & pig episode.

That's not a comedy, that's the result of Charlie Brooker somehow finding himself in the plot of the Lathe of Heaven IRL

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

If we're talking British comedies of yesteryear then Green Wing will always be one of my absolute favourites. Some level of yikes in a 2023 re-watch as with pretty much any show unfortunately but the good stuff is just stellar, Mark Heap and Michelle Gomez managing to stand out in an impressively strong field.

e: Black Books also very good, I think really you can trust most things that have Tamsin Grieg in for whatever reason. Which leads me to Friday Night Dinner (also featuring Mark Heap) which was very good for a number of years, and then I think about the other works of Robert Popper including Look Around You and one of my recent favourites Stath Lets Flats.

Following chains of actors/writers through comedy shows is fun, sometimes it's nice to have a relatively small scene.

e2: And of course Tamsin Grieg (and Stephen Mangan too) were in Episodes with Matt Le Blanc, which takes us neatly back to where we started!

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 14, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

Don't think I saw it but Coupling was one that came out when I was at uni and I liked. No idea how well it has aged.

Some definite problems but also some moments of pure genius.

Sarah Alexander was one of my first celebrity crushes back in the day. Married to Peter Serafinowicz the lucky bastard.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Green Wing is excellent.

It has a dreamy kind of ambience that reminds me of Jam in places.

The scene transitions with speeding/slowing and blurring footage are brilliant for this, along with the soundtrack.

And also I think the fact that it's a hospital-based show with approximately zero patient interaction helps build that surreal atmosphere too.

e: looks like it's all on YouTube if you don't want to deal with the adverts on Channel 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7v2aHUPp14

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 15, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

He's a modern-day Frank McCourt, our Wesley

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

If you're using a fork without a knife you can use your right hand imo

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

for Boris to be PM again he needs the backing of a majority of the MPs of the largest party

which, uh, isn't going to happen

ever

I remember about five years ago when everyone said he was too much of an oafish prick to ever become leader of the Tories in the first place, and then they decided actually it would be good because otherwise Allotment Hitler could win

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Cimber posted:

drat, you guys are having poo poo luck. When is the next scheduled GE and how many seats are labour expected to take? If they win the majority, who would be the new labour PM, and is that likely?

1. Sometime before January 2025
2. More than 326 (a majority)
3. Sentient ham golem Keir "Kieth" Starmer
4. Yes. If they don't win from here it will be a hilarious and historic fuckup

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Sorry about your dad, he sounds like a very good egg

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

This interview with the Lib Dem candidate in Somerton and Frome is incredible

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/audio/2023/jun/22/fromes-byelection-battle-head-or-heart-politics-weekly-uk

Go from about 15 minutes in to hear the total collapse under very normal questions.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Finally Starmer is getting to grips with the real issues

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/06/21/keir-starmer-children-self-identifying-as-cats/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Microplastics posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this but it would be two decades too late

Try three decades :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_of_the_Furries

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

He did that during his tenure as leader of the labour party, it featured in a big promo video. It's directly related to the slogan of the party under his tenure. loving goldfish brained people.

Awful of him to rip off Steve Coogan like that. Corbyn must condemn.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

The problem with Starmerism is eventually you run out of policies to abandon.

Easily solved by making new policies (and then abandoning them)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

cat botherer posted:

:wrong:, he was never a decent intellectual

Eh, some of his work on evolution (Selfish Gene, Climbing Mount Improbable) was pretty good as far as I can remember.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

kecske posted:

at least satirists of olde had the decency to write FATCATS and REFORMISTS or whatever on the various elements of their cartoon

SICKOS

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

That sword is completely unusable but ngl that's a cool idea for a handguard. Apart from clearly being dangerous to your hands and therefore impractical.

Massive unwieldy swords are good for ceremonial executions of kings.

(as a joke, in minecraft, etc.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Didn't Alastair Campbell literally tell people to vote Lib Dem on television and nothing ever happened to him?

He was expelled from the party tbf

Although people who stood as candidates for the Lib Dems at that election have since been admitted back into Labour, so the only real criteria is, as has always been the case, "do we like you or not?"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Jezza smacking down the FACTS

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1674798266695954433?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

This tweet alone will have him condemned as a lunatic trot who hates his country

Love the responses that are like "what next, power??!!"

Yes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Spicy numbers if true. I don’t think Nads seat has ever not been deep blue

https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1675447694905450496?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Labour only picking up one sixth of the imploding Tory vote is quite the feat

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Orkxit

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

"Super teachers" is an incredibly TTOI idea

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

all my serfs gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Zing

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1676555538543280131?s=20