Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I'm not surprised Boris is digging in. He's clearly breached rules, sure, but they want unrestricted WhatsApp content because they know they can get enough gossip and scandal to keep him from power forever. This isn't about holding people to account, it's the machinery of the state trying to rub out a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65775251

Schofield with an incredibly sympathetic interview on the BBC. I don't know if he has excellent PR people or if the press machinery wants to keep the lid on this a bit, but I think he might be able to pull off a "disgraced, broken, retiring in grief" vibe. Interview focusing very heavily on homophobia, calling it a "workplace fling", and focusing very little on how this child got his job working with Schofield.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Ahahaha...

https://twitter.com/Hugh_Janus888/status/1666168592495198219

He really doesn't like it when the press camps out on his doorstep

e: Neither does this oval office:

https://twitter.com/I_amMukhtar/status/1666156089719545856

I'm seeing double. Four gammons.

e: persistently upset at Johnson's thing of starting running just before he arrives at the cameras. Cock.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I don't understand this. Based on the academic journal wikipedia, their wealth was estimated at 7bn 3 years ago. Is there a real possibility he's been running on fumes?

Be interested to see who buys up the Telegraph. Best case it's Murdoch, then his kids just dissolve it along with the Sun as an ongoing interest when he dies (although he seems to have drank from the same chalice as kissinger).

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Expect those in power are figuring out just how much fat they need to trim to appease the masses. Mone doing a couple of years in jail for fraud will appease I'm sure.

Same with the Prince Harry phone hacking thing. Note there's a lot of attention on Piers Morgan.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't think the figures relating to print news are too relevant these days when a lot of people read news online and potentially articles from different sources.

Why buy a print newspaper with about a half of it devoted to sport / tv guides / celebrity gossip / soaps updates (all a complete waste of trees IMHO) when I can read a range of articles on things that I am interested in online and if there's a particularly interesting story can read it across 5 or 6 different online news outlets all with their different perspectives & agendas - certainly couldn't afford to buy 5-6 different paper newspapers (can't afford online subs for that many either).

If there was a sort of subscription service which the online news'papers', other news services (blogs or whatever) signed up to and I could pay - I dunno, a monthly sub of say £10 or say '10p per article capped at a max of £10' - I would willingly sign up to it. I ran the idea a year or so ago on FB and quite a few of my friends said they would happily sign up too.

I find most online news sources to be utterly horrific to read. Local papers especially have an endless procession of popups, add bars, breaks in the story for more adverts. Broadsheets and the BBC have made slightly more usable websites but on the whole online news is not designed for reading. As well as that it's a far more democratised system - only a few people can print newspapers and distribute them but anyone can open a website or post on social media.

That said nothing is going to change for a while because none of this is based on reality and those in power don't want it to change. The spectator has a circulation below 100k but the ghouls from that magazine are constantly on TV. We're going to reach a point where highly consumed YouTube channels, Twitch streams or Twitter/IG accounts could argue a greater media influence and right to be on panel shows, but that won't be allowed to happen until the right people get those systems on lockdown.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Alright, how are they going to gently caress this up?

https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1670408633442549760?t=yeEjmzIoiCaiLPCR2IrWow&s=19

Red Ed seems pleased which is a good sign at least.

Massive public investment then privatisation?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

So I'm looking for some help, regarding memes. I'm trying to explain pictorial memes to a group of people who know gently caress all about the internet, Twitter etc.

I'm trying to find a good example of an image meme which everyone who understands it gets it, but which might be fairly opaque from the outside. Ones like Leo pointing at the screen or the roll safe meme aren't ideal as they kinda suggest something from the image itself.

Something like that picture of Baddiel in blackface people post whenever he decides he's the racism understander is probably a good example. But I'm looking for an example that's less contentious. Can anyone think of one?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I think this is probably the winner and gets across what I was ham-fistedly trying to explain, although "this is fine" is also good. Thank you all for your memes, ideas, and Brendans.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Meanwhile Sunak, who is a man we are supposed to respect as a serious, grownup politician, is proposing amateur dentistry

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1674793513870045189?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

They loving love this poo poo. They love offloading the easier jobs in healthcare to a lower trained tier who can be kept around more easily than doctors or dentists. The problem is this is already done to an extent - hygenists do the scale/polish work for example. Unless he means to train hygenists or dental nurses to take on simple cases for fillings/extractions, but I don't know enough about dentistry to know if that's even viable.

The state of our health system is loving dire, and doctors and nurses are jumping ship en-masse. Some African countries (I think Malawi possibly) used to train doctors but found they would emigrate to make loads more money than they would locally. To combat this they developed their own not-quite-a-doctor role which meant these people would stay in their country as their qualification wasn't recognised overseas and couldn't be translated as such. I fully expect this will be the future of the NHS. For the oiks they get a Serco sponsored healthcare delivery operative giving them their healthcare. For the wealthy who can go private, they get a doctor. The handful of doctors left in the NHS will be left supervising an ever-growing army of noctors, absorbing a great deal of professional risk until something happens. There will absolutely be a qualitative difference in outcomes.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

The media just needs to make that the story. Make it clear the politicians are just repeating soundbytes. Or, do really loving long interviews, like 30-40 mins, regularly. Constantly hammer the same questions over and over and refuse to budge. Make these guys melt on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

i understand the staffing analysis was pretty damning, not just the deaths but numerous near events happened mostly around her shifts

and a consultant actually walked in on her as she was desaturating a baby without a reasonable explanation apparently

As I understood it the baby was desatting and she wasn't doing anything. I've worked on nicus at registrar level and can say this is not inherently "bad". Lots of prem babies will briefly drop sats and they will self correct. The devil is in the detail - how low and how long for.

Might do more of an effort post on this at some point. It's an interesting case.