Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The second one kind of sucked but it had Sally Field and she rules :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PinheadSlim posted:

e; And remember the scene where she said one of her Island movies is Legally Blonde and Pam loving snorted at her like some goon? Legally Blonde kicks rear end. It's a borderline sapphic story about how you shouldn't judge women by societies sexist and dismissive attitude towards certain kind of women. Which is exactly what The Office is doing with Katy.

I completely forgot that but yeah, great example. They're pricks who think they're above the purse girl and exactly the kind of people who watch popular thing and get the jokes out of it, but never the point

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That reminds me that early on Angela was the one with a crush on Roy, and Roy picked her as the hottest woman in the office in front of Pam.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jim and Pam are the type of people that say the UK Office is better :smug:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
lmao remember The Finer Things Club

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

jim and pam were horrible people and my favorite thing about parks and recreation is that they identify that about mark and ann in the early seasons and treat them with the respect they deserve thereafter

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

pencilhands posted:

jim and pam were horrible people and my favorite thing about parks and recreation is that they identify that about mark and ann in the early seasons and treat them with the respect they deserve thereafter

You need to make your own topic about this

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

that specific $10 keeps paying off

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

satanic splash-back posted:

You need to make your own topic about this

I give up the mods gas every topic I make now

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

pencilhands posted:

Yeah? And? What if Jim and Pam had given up at the first sign of adversity?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

pencilhands posted:

:lol:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I believe in you pencilhands, this is your St. Pauli Girl moment

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Code Jockey posted:

lmao remember The Finer Things Club

Jim wants to join the group, presumably because he must be joined at the hip with Pam at all times, but refuses to do the reading. Classic Jim.

Code Jockey posted:

man that whole thing on the booze cruise

Jim treated Katy like poo poo just because... she wasn't Pam? She's some "dumb cheerleader" or w/e and gently caress her and Roy for having something to joke around and bond over?

Roy should've thrown jim into the water, no one would've flinched, and Dwight would've piloted the boat over the top of him

I know I’m like primed to over exaggerate this stuff because of the prank thread, but Jim only started dating Katy to make Pam jealous and them seemingly dumped her because it wasn’t working as much as he thought it would. He could have even said “I’m sorry, I’m in this for the wrong reason and that’s not fair to you” but he just gets this faraway stare and dumps her in the middle of the cruise with no buildup.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

A Fancy Hat posted:

Jim wants to join the group, presumably because he must be joined at the hip with Pam at all times, but refuses to do the reading. Classic Jim.

Meanwhile Andy also wants in for stupid reasons, gets mocked for it, flails and departs with grace like a true Cornell man

and we're meant to sympathize with "I couldn't even do a HS level reading assignment to support the woman I've obsessed over for years" Jim lol

quote:

I know I’m like primed to over exaggerate this stuff because of the prank thread, but Jim only started dating Katy to make Pam jealous and them seemingly dumped her because it wasn’t working as much as he thought it would. He could have even said “I’m sorry, I’m in this for the wrong reason and that’s not fair to you” but he just gets this faraway stare and dumps her in the middle of the cruise with no buildup.

Yeah it's hosed on levels, Jim really didn't see her as an equal to him at all and it's obvious

Dwight had the best time I think, on that cursed boat

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Jim and Pam weren't bad people imo they were just dreamers and the show starts off treating that as purely a good thing but by the end it flips it on them.

My problem is michael Scott. Dude loving sucks, he learns nothing and gets the happiest ending in the show lmao

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Meredith was getting laid with the boat captain before Michael sent people overboard into freezing water, she made out pretty good.

What makes Jim a little worse was him and Katy had already basically broken up and weren't talking, but he invited her there anyway only to act like that.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Is Jim really the worst person on the show? Or does it just stand out more because of how the show framed him in contrast to everyone else for the majority of its run?

Toby was definitely the Scranton Strangler which might be worse but it's debatable

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

abigserve posted:

Jim and Pam weren't bad people imo they were just dreamers and the show starts off treating that as purely a good thing but by the end it flips it on them.

My problem is michael Scott. Dude loving sucks, he learns nothing and gets the happiest ending in the show lmao

Did you even watch? Michael Scott is the only one who shows growth.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Did you even watch? Michael Scott is the only one who shows growth.

Yeah Michael Scott is a deeply lonely man who only wants friendship and a place he feels like he belongs.

Like half of the stupid poo poo he does in the office stems from this and the fact that because he has no meaningful relationships in his life he looks to fill these needs with his subordinates.

When he finds holly and forms a meaningful relationship with her and leaves it makes sense that he would get a happy ending because he’s actually learned that the office is an office not a family and a real family is what will make him happy.

It’s a good arc that makes sense and is poo poo on by the show just relentlessly pushing the idea of these coworkers being a family who need to attend each others weddings and get tattoos together and Andy crying that his lovely days as a paper salesman are in the past everywhere outside of that arc

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 2, 2023

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Part of me wishes they forced themselves to have the constraint of “we only shoot footage in the office, or at most work events/parties” to avoid the wedding/hospital/daycare stuff and spare the writers the temptation to have all the characters be involved in each others’ lives outside of the office.

But then we wouldn’t have the dinner party episode.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Dinner party episode is so unique and brutally good

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
Gabe was just the worst. While he was dating that Kimmy Schmidt receptionist, who thought she was obliged to date her boss, they were playing Wordfeud or something like that, and since he always won he got to choose what movie they were gonna watch together. And he always picked horror movies, which she hated. What a jerk.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Jim and Pam are the type of people that say the UK Office is better :smug:

Worst part of my US Office rewatch - when David Brent shows up for whatever reason.

No, that's probably not true. Worst part was Jim and Pam getting married, having kids, looking for daycare, going on a vacation and after returning talking about that "frank and beans"-couple.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Von Pluring posted:

Worst part of my US Office rewatch - when David Brent shows up for whatever reason.

No, that's probably not true. Worst part was Jim and Pam getting married, having kids, looking for daycare, going on a vacation and after returning talking about that "franks and beans"-couple.

Man, I can't do this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Frank and beaaaans

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Last Chance posted:

Frank and beaaaans

Really encapsulates the hate I have for Jim and Pam

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I wanna hang out with Robert California

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MrQwerty posted:

I wanna hang out with Robert California

Robert California was probably in Epstein’s black book

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I think it’s funny how often the office kept pushing staples and Office Depot as these titans of industry and efficiency that were completely swallowing all the little guys and not even like 3 years later they’re all teetering on the edge of bankruptcy

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I've actually never watched the office before posting a bunch in the Jim pranks thread, but I'm surprised that it's actually not good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I enjoyed the first seasons of Jim Punches Terrists, but the last 2 were convoluted cow poo poo.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Also Jim had no problem conspiring with Dwight to invent a fake salesman to steal from the company.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Von Pluring posted:

Gabe was just the worst. While he was dating that Kimmy Schmidt receptionist, who thought she was obliged to date her boss, they were playing Wordfeud or something like that, and since he always won he got to choose what movie they were gonna watch together. And he always picked horror movies, which she hated. What a jerk.

There was one episode where she wanted Michael to like him and appeared to be interested in him, but after that she treats Gabe with almost physical revulsion and no shared interests.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

haljordan posted:

Also Jim had no problem conspiring with Dwight to invent a fake salesman to steal from the company.

That’s good though

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Why would you put a yearly cap on commissions?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Drunk Nerds posted:

Why would you put a yearly cap on commissions?

I have worked on commission, and when I sold really well for a period my boss told me I made too much money and it was hurting the company.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bobjr posted:

There’s one episode where they’re looking for a daycare and the daycare teacher says “you’re not as charming as you two think you are” to their face

Loved this

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Zugzwang posted:

The horrifying and impossible-to-remove clown painting on the wall was a symbol for Jim

:aaa: I like that.

vegetables posted:

I thought Scranton was fictional until I found out Joe Biden was from there

I only knew Scranton was real because I'd started college in Pennsylvania the fall before The Office premiered. Apparently it premiered the day after I regged. Cool. :regd05:

Drunk Nerds posted:

Remember when Angela had Dwight's baby and didn't tell him he was the father? And then she did and it was all good and they got married and ignored the glaring red flag trust issues?

Glaring red flag trust issues? He murdered her pet.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Pam thought she was gonna be a professional artist when she was only moderately talented at water colours. Get a grip, lady. Keep it as a hobby.

There was a scene where Dwight talks about her painting of the office having physically impossible shadows or something like that, and while it was kind of stern & rude, 1) it was Dwight so it made sense, and 2) it was nice to see someone actually criticize her work (ostensibly the way she wanted it to be evaluated) instead of treating it like a kid's drawing on a fridge.

bobjr posted:

That reminds me that early on Angela was the one with a crush on Roy, and Roy picked her as the hottest woman in the office in front of Pam.

They gave Angela a type. I thought that was kind of funny.

bobjr posted:

There’s one episode where they’re looking for a daycare and the daycare teacher says “you’re not as charming as you two think you are” to their face

A wonderfully Frank Grimes-y moment.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
That episode where Darryl is waiting to hear back from Jim about a job interview that could change his life, but Jim leaves work early to head to the airport without even speaking to him even though he has an answer for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Jim and Pam are self-centred people, only occasionally expanding their circle of concern to each other. Jim’s “growth” in an episode is learning that as an adult he should keep his apartment tidy when he has a roommate.