Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I've moved twice in the last two months, had my wisdom teeth out last week, am supposed to have dinner with my partners family tonight, and I will still brave demons at some point. 37, feeling it, and still ready to slay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

InventorOfTrees posted:

WoW expansions don't count because they update the game to expansion code literal weeks before launch and smooth things out before everything gets slammed. And usually the game is in a fucky state while that stuff gets patched up.

Overwatch 2 took about four days before it was playable. Most Blizzard launches take several days before they are playable. I have no reason to believe that this one will be any different.

I'd love to be able to play the game today, but I think a lot of people cancelling plans/etc for today are going to find themselves very frustrated.

It's gonna be how it's gonna be. Betas improved consistently from one to the next. Hopefully that means something.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

For me every section of the wheel just said druid.

Mine is an even split between paladin and monk wtf?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hm. Caster druid? Sorcerer again? I was committed to rogue, but now I'm having eleventh hour doubts.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Ditto

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Requested. My battle id or whatever is the default. flannerysBeard is my xbox thingie.

HarryTreeman, Druid president, let’s gooooooo!

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 2, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Didn't expect many problems with the game since the beta access periods kept improving things. It's been smooth sailing other than the inability to skip cutscenes. Only managed to get a lightning druid to about 10 or so last night but I'm really looking forward to digging in as soon as I have more time.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

negativeneil posted:

Man the Rogue just feels so good. I'm only lvl 16 and I'm dashing in and out of combat, dropping caltrops and poison traps and inflicting Vulnerable for high single target damage and everything just combos so well together. They really nailed how it should feel to be a backstabbing ninja class with the controller input. I didn't get to Barb and Necro during the beta but nothing else has come close to hitting this level of "this is a top down action game living inside an aRPG world". Good job, Blizzard.

This is how I felt from the very first beta. Blizzard feel and Polish is on point.

Been giving a storm spec druid a go. Lightning storm is dope.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

LeFishy posted:

I'm playing through the campaign with an "Every Button is Bear" Druid build and I'm just not feeling it.

Reading all these skill descriptions with their modifies and stuff is completely melting my tiny brain and I want to work out how to make this class feel good. I'm willing to accept not being a bear if that is what it takes.

What is the general vibe of druid that I should be looking for? I'm not looking for "do this exact build" kind of thing just... what skills mesh well and make it feel good. I'd rather not replay any of the early campaign again if I can help it so I'd like to take this character to the endgame.

I guess I'm sort of looking for general buildcrafting advice like should I play with the primary skills and then see which skills look like they should synergise from there?

I see a lot of wolf aspects in the early game which suggest to me they expect me to be rolling a wolf centric build, maybe I'll give that a shot.

Generally speaking, look to debuff with your chosen basic—vulnerable is plentiful for all classes and is a straight damage buff for instance—and when you’ve got a little debuff engine going, try to capitalize on that with gear. CC is also pretty useful for bosses. If you CC a boss and fill the stagger bar, the boss will take a huge debuff after that bar is maxed out. In some cases whole attacks will disabled if you stagger it. Before staggering though, CC won’t work on bosses. Think of it like Fromsoft debuff accumulation bars that trigger the effect once maxed. This is all just an aside to say that the debuffs/CC/status effects you can inflict are pretty important in D4.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kaddish posted:

I'm taking a timeout to run across the continent to get a sweet aspect for my build.

I know open world is not everyone’s cuppa, but this is one of the things I just fuckin love about it. Your leveling progress is really organic and fluid and flexible. Campaign or no campaign, there’s plenty of bullshit out there you can go after on a whim to enhance your build beyond just gear/leveling and I’m here for it. Aspect system is the loving best. Makes character growth less likely to hit a weird snag where you’re missing one vital piece of kit and are forced to trade for or gamble for or wait for it to drop.

It’s also incredibly nice that every rare is just a legendary you’ve not created yet.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

FootballFreak2 posted:

I have played countless hours of d1,d2, and d3 and have zero knowledge about the lore. I don’t know what a soulstone is besides a way to get a rune.

Hell same. That said, the spectacle and scene chewing and pulp of the story in IV is entertaining as hell.

I think my only complaint along those lines is that the gloomy look and feel is kinda fatiguing. I felt that way in the beta and seems some reviewers agreed. It's no dealbreaker and the style is incredible, but it would be nice to get the occasional change in tone.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kawabata posted:

I'd survive if object collision in fights wasnt so dogshit...dodge is such a loving dumb gimmick for a game like this

Depending on class you'll get mobility through skills eventually.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Saw a couple of comments, is druid levelling fine or too grindy

Going for storm strike and lightning storm seems pretty good to. Me, even with lovely gear. Werewolf with shred was pretty frustrating to get going in the second beta.

My biggest gameplay complaint is that resource generation can be obnoxiously slow in some cases. Apparently with a decently optimized build that corrects in time though, or so I've heard.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Stux posted:

this is just pathetic

You can do better than this I believe in you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

What compels people to play blizzards new mediocre gruel (I mean I suppose it could be an actually good game, and I'm being unfair but I doubt it)? Is it all nostalgia? Is it a desperation for any ARPG? Is it because you can't avoid it? Friends are playing it? Like what would Blizzard have to do to get people to stop eating their gruel? I suppose people are just happy it isn't a cellphone Diablo. I'm honestly curious and not just thinking "you're loving idiots stop buying poo poo from poo poo companies you morons" way (I assure you I am thinking that).

May I recommend you four separately purchased KFC sandwiches? It would give your threadshitting a certain gravitas and stink it currently lacks. Namasde.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah yeah I know how hostile people can get if they see anything that may challenge their fun. That's not my goal and I'm not going to have the same argument about it. There are no wrong answers that answer the question, although I suppose my question was flawed. Why Diablo 4 over another game would probably be better a better question.

Even if that was the right question, I don’t really see the value it adds to the thread.

Hell I’ll bite not that it’s gonna change your disposition.

D4 is a polished, good looking, good sounding, smooth playing ARPG with a budget. That by itself makes it stand out. Why Diablo? Because every other comparable ARPG was made by an indie, with the jank this would imply. ARPG fans don’t get a ton of options. The aforementioned indies all target a certain subset of ARpg players. PoE for the spreadsheet math nerds, Last Epoch for a middleground between PoE and Diablo, Grim Dawn for taking Diablo II’s starting point and emphasizing different things about it.

In short, none of these games are as graphically/auditorially pleasing. All of them have chosen certain facets of ARpg conventions to emphasize, but all of those emphases shrink the fanbase.

D4 smartly hodgepodges all the ideas that have developed from all those disparate games over the years and gives them a broad audience. That’s why D4.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

istewart posted:

Got to level 17 or 18 last night on druid, last thing I did was unlock the druid stronghold. Overall it just feels like more Diablo with a lot of the friction removed. I think I'm really going to like the open world going forward; don't have to worry about did I run out of GR keys? Is this a good rift map? Just walk out of town and start smashing face, and it won't be too long before you hit a world event and you're smashing face with a clear goal. I obviously haven't gotten to Whispering Tree stuff yet, but I feel like they've got the framework to build on here to make bounties/seasonal dailies something enjoyable, rather than just a chore you want to do as quickly as possible, only when necessary. Chained world events building to a big outdoor world boss could be a lot of fun.

Likewise, the gear system so far seems like the best out of any Diablo I've played. I enjoyed being able to craft stuff in D3, even if only a tiny minority of crafted sets stayed relevant for endgame. Basically being able to create your own legendary with rares that you've upgraded as you go feels closer to that system and a lot better than getting spammed with a crapload of rares and maybe one legendary you care about per boss kill, most of which is going to be salvaged. I haven't even gotten a legendary yet, but my engagement with upgrading rare and magic items so far feels like they made a good decision here.

I started following an icy-veins leveling guide for druid and it was a bit poo poo. I enjoyed using them for Diablo 3 but I think I'm going to lean more on maxroll.gg or sit through a Rhykker video or something when I roll an alt. It had me specced into Tornado before switching over to a companion build at level 15, and I probably would've had more fun if I had built up the companion build the whole time. Tornado was supposed to be my big-damage spender, but it was unreliable and hard to target. Maybe check some other guides and respec.

I have to agree with everyone who's hating on the skill tree interface; it already feels like it's due for an overhaul. I would have rather they did some sort of tabbed interface like vanilla WoW. It especially de-emphasizes the minor stat boost skills that aren't directly attached to unlocking or upgrading an active skill. Do I want to take these right away or come back to them? If so, when? Will they still be relevant when I start paragon boards? Almost certainly yes, but I bet a lot of more casual players who aren't necessarily following a build guide might overlook them, and having them lost in this oversized interface that's hard to grasp all at once doesn't help.

I still have yet to judge the experience of leveling an alt without slogging through campaign again, and I probably won't get around to that until next weekend or the very end of this weekend. That's actually going to be quite important for the game's longevity for me. I'd rank myself as a fairly casual D3 player, especially since I only ever bothered to take seriously maybe 3 or 4 out of the many seasons that have gone on. Part of that was because getting started by leveling to 70 and collecting the initial paragons was a tedious, perfunctory slog with little in the way of fun gameplay value. A lot of the time I just didn't feel like logging on to beg for a power level, or me and my one buddy who I knew would be good for it just didn't sync up until a few weeks in, or he started the season on PC while I was on Switch... An easy solo start to alt/seasonal leveling that engages me right away is the biggest upgrade they needed to make to keep me hooked for the long term.

edit:

:gb2gbs: and then leave there too

Good points all.

I’d think second time through minus campaign will be pretty good. Hit up events to pick up obols. Gamble for an early boost. Get a headstart because your renown will offer up 10 skill points if you’ve previously cleared it out. STash, obviously.

I was a skill tree apologist there for a while, mostly because people’s negativity was pretty hyperbolic, but as time goes on, I do think it needs a rework. Both in presentation and in some of the numbers. The good thing is that is 100% going to happen. Piecemeal for the numbers, probably a patch or expansion for the presentation.

Gearing/aspects/that whole package is awesome to me. You really do have a lot of freedom in terms of your power progression. Like, D3 was a linear thing. You got everything at set levels, and the gear never modified your playstyle in any meaningful way. Endgame was just sets or go home.

D4 on the other hand has a system that’s so open ended that the leveling process itself will be pretty drat fluid and unpredictable, by virtue of how impactful gear can be. I’m sure people will minmax which aspects to get when, which skills to unlock in which order, so on and so forth. But that can’t solve for RNG. And as mentioned, you’ve got such a wide array of things to do, with no barrier between you and doing the thing, that it just flows better.

By the by, folks who are having skill tree woes. Click right stick on console to make it fullscreen. Granted this just makes the empty space more obvious, but at least you’re not looking at a cramped little window.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

mbt posted:

godtier game. everyone who said this would be bad or have a rocky release has been real quiet lately lmfao
blizzard wins again

Yuuuuup. Glad you said it instead of me but I was def thinking it.

e: If I may predict rather boldly, don’t worry they’ll be back. Wait for the first exploit or balance issue or bug or whatever to surface. You’re gonna hear a whoooooole lot of weird poo poo at that point. Haters are kinda eternal.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 2, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

God I hope i'm an outlier. Are you playing on console? that seems to be more stable? At least i'm getting through the game though, restarting by going back to character select usually fixes the problems. Some of what i've mentioned, others have said they have ran into as well.

Xbox here. I’ve had your unskippable cutscene thing, but haven’t tried to rectify it since I’ve been watching them. Wouldn’t have even noticed if I’d not played all the betas and was wanting to get past the stuff I’d seen. Other than that nothing that I’ve noticed.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Yeah! the servers are rock loving solid, no issues. I was able to get in at exactly 4pm yesterday with zero issues.

Another one for the haters go home column lol.

I’m ready to eat those words on the real release though.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

InventorOfTrees posted:

I thought the game would have a lovely launch and I'm quiet because I'm happily enjoying the game - I was wrong. Stop trying to perpetuate this faux tribal war between the people who think the game is perfect and 'the haters'.

I’m glad you’re having a good time.

Doomykins posted:

Y'all making me want to pony up a $20 tip for Robert "Union Man" Kotick. :qq:

Tuesday a long way away.
Do it. Your karma can take the hit.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 2, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

istewart posted:

Yeah, I got dumpstered pretty hard by the stronghold end boss a few times with the tornado build, but once I was able to kite him with all my companions up, it was pretty simple. I'd really like to keep Blood Howl even in endgame, I tend to approach RPGs with a more conservative playstyle and want some self-heal available if at all possible. With all companions (creeping vine, wolf, ravens), Blood Howl, and Cyclone Armor, my hotbar is now full... am I going to be able to fit an ultimate skill in? Are there alt-key toggles for the hotbar? Otherwise if I map Q and space-bar to my fancy MMO mouse, I'll be able to play the whole game without touching the keyboard!

If you're ignoring popups and not following a guide, it seems like the class-specific spirit boon quests at level 15 might be easy to miss? I got one popup telling me to press shift+C and one notification in the quest log that didn't look super-different from anything else. If I wasn't reading a guide that said "go do this right now at level 15!" I might have put it off for longer. The collectables for the boons started dropping around that level tho.

You only get the six. Kind of a bummer but it’s not unprecedented for Diablo. I don’t mind the cooldown evade thingie, but I dream of being able to rebind that for another skill. Seriously doubt it’ll happen but I can dream.

Don’t mind the evade, fwiw. Would just like the extra button.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Who is the least obnoxious person that produces video content for Diablo? Just don't want my ears destroyed and am looking for stuff to put on and listen to while I work. Looking for mechanics explanations and build guides, mostly. I prefer written but I don't have four eyeballs lol.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

faantastic posted:

Legendaries seem to pop a lot more after 25+.

I'm just about lvl 44 after maybe 12 hours of gameplay and it's been a lot of fun. Been wandering around doing quests and bashing things with my barb.

Only complaint so far would be not being able to TP directly to party members.

You can I believe. Check by a way point and there should be portals to them.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Anybody doing a storm spec druid and have any tips? I'm not having trouble I just wanna talk about builds.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

If youre looking for more ways to improve your character, make sure youre doing all of the renown rewards. You get some very nice rewards for clearing out all side quests and activities on the world map.

No doubt don’t sleep on this there are 10 whole rear end skill points among the rewards iirc. And I think those do transfer over to subsequent characters on the same realm.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

InventorOfTrees posted:

The game has a ton of glaring issues, but it is still an absolute delight to play. The longevity of the game absolutely hinges on them expanding/improving existing systems, though.

Even if Blizz decides to never touch the game again (I don't think they'll do this), I think the game is perfectly worth the price of admission. I'll get at least one play through of every class, and have a blast the full way through. As it stands though, I doubt I'll bother to play most of the classes more than once.

That's still a hell of a lot more gameplay than I get out of 90%+ of my game purchases.

They've already said they're working on two expansions in parallel.

Haven't had as much time to play as y'all but it's going well with my storm druid around 20. Lightning storm, cyclone armor or whatever, trample just for the mobility, ravens. Already picked up some items with raven and lightning storm boosts. I still hate the spender builder poo poo but once you get the rhythm it's okay. Just takes a more deliberate style.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm building a unabomber trap rogue that's highly dependent on an aspect that lets me plant 4-8 poison traps without cooldown. 35+ levels and I still can't find one :cry: I'm now farming the one dungeon everybody is doing and with each level getting weaker and weaker (all my skills are going into traps, but I have to carry with my bow until I find the aspect). Please, RNG Jessus, I beg you

I miss my Assassin from D2. I hope they do an assassin / daemon hunter hybrid. I loved playing a tower defense minigames

My guess is paladin and assassin, one per expansion. Figure since part of the marketing is about bringing back those II vibes, I feel like it's gotta be those. Otherwise switch one out for monk or witch doctor.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

zoux posted:

I actually looked at the store and lol at those prices.

Thank you whales for funding the long life of this video game.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kaddish posted:

I think the Tree of Whispers is super neat.

What's the difference from D3 bounties?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Guys. Guys. Guys!

Game good.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I love blizzards approach to balancing because I've never been unlucky enough to be effected by it and the reactions are hilarious.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I am willing to bet that most of the issues around build variety will shake out clean in six months to a year. I agree with the sentiment that its pretty clear the skills didn't get the balance passes they deserved, and that building out, while interesting on its own, just isn't as rewarding as it could be because of the mentioned bad numbers on skills.

I'm still so confused about the game in some ways. Deliberate combat in this type of game is mostly an improvement, and even cooldown management doesn't bother me all that much, but if cds and resource generation are actually supposed to be meaningful bottlenecks then the skills need some buffing to compensate for that. If I have to build up resource or frantically dodge poo poo to stay in the game, make my power spikes huge to compensate. Right now it's waiting with a flaccid reward at the end of the wait.

But the good thing is all the issues are solvable by numbers tweaking and, as said above, broadening the aspect options to cover more skills. That's all on the level of seasonal changes or patches and I think it's realistic to think we'd see some substantial change within a year. As to whether it'll be the changes people want, who the gently caress knows? But variety in builds is what keeps games like this interesting for me, so I'd like to see at minimum a couple possible aspects per individual skill.

Incidentally for those of you with more hours than me, are there any core spenders that straight don't have one at all? Are there any interesting aspects for basics? Most basics are pretty flimsy but some are neat, the melee ones especially so that could be pretty interesting.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

The game should have a special legendary that you can only get if you never kill wildlife.

Or it has some ability that acts as a debuff based on the number of critters you've murdered.

ADoM has something hilariously similar to this idea and its great.

Cats are a common and sometimes immediately hostile enemy in the case of the big cats. Much, much, much later in the game the player meets The Cat Lord, who'll give them a powerful ring.

If they didn't kill any cats, that is. Otherwise, he'll try to kill you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acumen posted:

That chart's gonna get thrown right out the window when s1 starts with a bunch of random changes and a seasonal modifier like "thorns does 10000% damage now lol"

I am not overly concerned that 90% of the people who have played 12hrs a day for the past two weeks are using the same build

I'm not either, fwiw but based on my much more limited experience the concerns do have some merit. But like I said above, numbers tweaking and new aspects are pretty low impact in terms of workload. D3 hummed along on support of that scope and that scope alone for a very, very long time. There's nothing to worry about really.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Doomykins posted:

The amazing thing is that Reaper of Souls took almost two years to come out and turn Diablo 3 into the genre standard. I think everybody understands that Diablo 4 has issues. It had to cut an entire region and act out of the story for this release date. The passive aggressive "well, Diablo 4 has issues with the end game, I guess it's over" shitposting is what's crazy. I think Blizz will figure out that they should adjust the numbers in their first balance and QoL patches, season patches, and the planned expansions.

The ratio of normal to insane posting is much better in this thread and by that logic the game is a slam dunk lol.

Considering where we are starting at baseline I expect good things. This series has always been an on and off fixation for me. Will probably shelve it after season 1 and keep an eye on patches. Really excited to see what they make of such a solid start.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Anyone going heavy into lightning as druid and could tell me if one handed plus totem or two handed is the better call? I'm only 30 just now, so a long ways before I have to aggressively optimize but it feels like one handed with totem helps a ton for resource generation and having those extra affixes is also quite nice.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acumen posted:

itemization is a good start they just need more uniques/aspects and some tuning to make all the non-meta skills viable

The uniques especially are very cool and I like that they're not necessarily BiS compared to legendaries, but offer ... "unique" alterations compared to aspects which are generally just "bigger number"

This has been my take as someone still screwing around in the campaign. Obviously the item game changes a lot afterwords, and I'm not gonna even try to comment on that but I've been in a lot of situations already where items are competing for my attention, which is a good thing.

Basically the more they add the better it can potentially get.

I do agree with the comment above though that there are so loving many conditional affixes, and consequently it's a bit less clear what will end up a clear, rather than ambiguous upgrade. Obviously you want to lean as hard into whichever cc effect you're going for, but just as an example, my druid has access to stun, immobile, vulnerable, and knock back. So sure you can stack damage contingent on These things, but distinguishing between the merit of one over another for me eventually becomes whatever okay I inflict this effect here's my damage bye. A bit of transparency around damage and the comparative value of different effects definitely wouldn't hurt.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'll say this for conditional stuff, that in and of itself could make for a lot of interesting builds once fully understood. Everyone has access to this stuff so it's largely a question of drops that support what you're after. Incidentally even though I do agree the skill love isn't equally distributed, if the stars align you could definitely do a lot with what's available here. Think there's potential but not knowing which conditions are ideal or most powerful makes trying to find the builds a bit fiddly.

On gems: can you not auto salvage equipment with gems in it? Do you seriously have to manually remove them first? Or am I just dumb and missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

American McGay posted:

Sell or salvage them and you'll get the gems back for free.

Ah ok. I had some old stuff marked as junk and it didn't salvage along with all the other junk in the stack so I didn't know if that was a safety measure against accidentally ditching gems you didn't mean to.