Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

For the indecisive goon, let fate decide what to play first:

https://wheeldecide.com/index.php?c1=Barbarian+&c2=Necromancer+&c3=Druid&c4=Rogue&c5=Sorcerer&time=5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dameius posted:

The best thing about the wheel is you can just keep spinning until it gives you the answer you want.

The Wheel helps us all.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm having a jolly good time smashing things as bear. That's all really just lots of smashing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kaddish posted:

You can’t imprint willy nilly whole leveling because you will run out of mats quickly.

Lots of builds have defining imprints you can get decently early, just have it on someone always.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vasudus posted:

I'm coming from 10 years and nearly 15,000 hours of playing Path of Exile. I have to find 160 statues??? I only have to do this...once??? What do you mean I have to do the campaign once period, forever???

This but Diablo 3 and only had to do campaign once.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just hit 20 on my Druid last night and I now have like 3 more abilities than I have buttons on my PS5 controller. What the heck do I do, just pick my favorite skills? I’ve got an amulet that gives +1 to all Wrath skills, so it’s not like I spent points on a bunch of actives abilities.

You only get the six buttons I think regardless of how many abilities.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Finished a2 last night and I was thinking they way over telegraphed the demon resurrecting for the boss fight then holy poo poo they smack you with it hard. Story's getting metal as all hell.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ihmemies posted:

Am I stupid when I try to level my first guy with world tier 2? I guess it’s perfectly possible to use it while levelling?

Start with tier 2 and if the killing pace is fine for you stick with it. Drop down to 1 if you feel sluggish. It really doesn't matter while leveling.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Really missing the Crusader so far in this one, he’s always my go-to physical damage guy. I also miss Monk but I assume there’s no chance of that class being added.

Maybe you'll get both for the low low price of $50 for each expansion.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Search for my posts in this thread, I posted the official Diablo 4 class wheel to eliminate having to choose a class.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

D3 did seasonal gimmicks to jazz things up. First few were boring but then they started adding in mega multiplier items like gems or imbues that defined builds.

Plus they did balance passes each season so the meta evolved over time.

Should note by balance pass I mean buffing underperforming builds and rarely nerfing. Yes you get power creep but critting for trillions owned.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Caidin posted:

Who the hell is Akarat anyway?

He was commander of the crusaders in D3.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

thebardyspoon posted:

There's a sidequest that sends you to a hosed up fort in the swamp (it might be the one you also go to in the story for other reasons) and they mention that a crusader name Johanna went out there to try and retake it but disappeared. Johanna was the name of the Crusader hero in Heroes of the Storm, that's the hardest of times, being whisked away to fight in the now dead moba.

Johanna, in my head canon, was the PC crusader who ascended to godhood under the teachings of Zultan Kulle.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

For the statues, grab a map and just enjoy the world. There are some amazing sights to see outside of the main story. They did such a good job creating what's essentially a post apocalyptic world. Malthael did some serious work unlike the rest of the council of dorks.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

At wow launch (back in 2004 or whatever) their concern was that every class has at least one viable build

Maybe that is their strategy on release

That also meant if you could heal you had to heal.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Characters being big dumb idiots is a Diablo staple. Tyrael, anyone who believed Adrial wasn't tricking them, and Azmodan are good examples.

PCs able to achieve such ridiculous power because they're the only one not stupid. Zultan Kulle isn't either but he's a ghost so it's a wash. Amazing humanity keeps lingering on through all this. Angels and demons can't really die I guess so they're free to stay being dummies.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Deki posted:

Saying balance is in a bad state shouldn't be that outrageous of a statement. Looking at rogue, one builder is wildly more useful than the rest, and stuff like cold imbuement sucks poo poo unless you specifically build around it with related aspects, and then it's just merely very bad. Its not so bad that I can't make a non-meta build work, but I'm mostly working around what's actually dropped for me.

Their dev blog posts indicated they were making repeat sweeping changes to major itemization and skill systems up until around a year before launch. Given how polished everything else is, I think balance was the major reason for the devs allegedly wanting a few more months before release.

There's a reason season 1 doesn't start until July.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Astryl posted:

This game probably needed another six months to a year to have all of the features they originally promised.

But Blizzard desperately needed a win due to all their other issues and regardless of all of that, review wise and sales wise, this game is likely to give them that, and possibly another GOTY.

It'd have a good shot at goty if it wasn't already locked down as hard as Elden Ring locked down last year for sure.

D4's a good game and has potential to carry Diablo onward another decade.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Finished act IV finally. Huh they really did just make a4 "ok go kill andarial k thanks bye." Oh well, she was a fun fight. First time in a while I felt almost threatened as bear.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

Yeah

It seems like blizzard wants people on for way longer than that though

I guess we will see

They'll like those 2-6 week seasonal people if they buy battle passes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SettingSun posted:

What do you guys think will contribute to the battle pass? Exp earned? A separate currency you earn when you finish content?

I'd guess either battle pass points you earn doing content or journeys like D3.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CBD Corndog posted:

They've said as much, yeah. There will be a journey-like list of tasks that refresh to give battlepass progression
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23952500/what-you-can-expect-from-diablo-iv-s-post-launch-experiences

Yeah those are exactly D3 seasonal journey tasks which is cool because they fit so well with the seasonal model.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gone Fashing posted:

I think that will happen for season 1 because the game just came out but I would be surprised if it lasts much longer than that. The dad gamers will finish the campaign in a few months and then never login again

As a dad gamer, I will never touch eternal mode unless there's some sweet cosmetic there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doomykins posted:

Game will really kick rear end when the first expac hits!

Yeah that's every Diablo game for the last 20 years.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Diablo and Imperius gonna fuse together with the same goal in mind: wrecking up sanctuary.

Really I could see one expac based around the prime evils and another based on the nerds in heaven.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

big cummers ONLY posted:

What's the fastest route to getting a mount? There sure is a shitload of boring running in this Diablo so far.

Power through the campaign.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They probably just said gently caress it and died of old age after they got back from punching death. Oh yeah I beat death but not before death killed almost everyone.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

smoobles posted:

Probably chilling not giving a gently caress about Sanctuary. Didn't he spend Diablos 1 and 2 trying to get back to Hell, and 3 taking over Heaven so that angels would leave him alone?

He truly does not give a poo poo about the player character he just wants to hang out in Hell and indulge in his hobby of giving people nightmares. He is a goon.

Mephisto took 50+ years to reform I imagine Diablo is doing the same.

Baals busy trapping idiots who afk in world stone keep still.

Edit: question: are there drop differences between w1 and w2? Or does only w3/4 crank that poo poo up? Need some codexes I think to beat the capstone. Figure w1 would be more fun to just murder through.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Prava's a chud though definitely.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

My personal hope expansions wise is that we fight the Prime Evils in reverse Diablo 2 order. Baal, Diablo, Mephisto.

You actually ride baal as a mount during the mephisto fight.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

D4 would have a solid chance if it stayed in the oven until 2024. Zelda has that on lock, totk is an Imperius-damned masterpiece.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm learning so much from this thread, clearly the person best able to judge how good a game is has played it the least. Where my gamer dads at with 7 minutes in game since buying it for $100 for early access, give me your most accurate reviews.

I hit 50 this weekend, completed the story, got owned by the curator, then went to kill the bad demons for loot.

I foresee many more sessions of demon slaying.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

wemgo posted:

Yeah, the snes one

gently caress yes they're getting more of my money

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Andariel and Duriel were last killed ~70 years ago, Azmodan and Belial only 50. So maybe they need more time chillaxing in the Evil Kool-Aid bubble.

It is kind of funny that they made a big deal out of Elias resurrecting Andy only for Duriel to just pop up like "oh hey, I'm here too." Seems like his entire piece was cut out of Act 4.

Depends if the black soulstone was the starting point or when they originally got smacked up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You could chuck the soulstone in the ocean but eventually the demon trapped inside will convince some rich idiot to dive down and get it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bear skin that's actually a yeti.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's been Diablo since like 2007 and has been a part of D4 since they first mentioned seasons.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Icy veins statue map was nice.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Landslide build does the generator ok. Take the storm generator since it tags stuff with vulnerable and buffs earth skills then landslide away. Well it's not a full endgame build though.

Stuff where the generator debuffs the enemy or buffs the spender is cool. More stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pro seasonal arpg tip: spin the class wheel to decide what to main that season. Don't like that class? Spin again!