Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna log in and play this game right at 7pm and it's gonna be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm 37 and my son has a PD day tomorrow but I'm getting local pizza not pizza hut, I hope that's ok

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I am having a good time diabloing

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I feel like if I can log in at 6pm est on a Friday with no issues Tuesday should be easy. Standard couldn't have sold that many more than DD+ult combined?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I killed a giant lich with a dozen diabros and got a bunch of legendaries, good poo poo

Post game content seems pretty solid

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm following the maxroll Bone Spear Necro build guide and can concur that it sucks to have to use the generator skill at any point. Basic skills really ought to be better

I use my generator just to fill but I get most of my necro juice from exploding corpses and that's pretty rad!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Imprinting is a fantastic way of making yellows interesting and helps fill in some gaps until you're decked out in your build's uniques

Some are probably even BiS

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
also just lol at buying cosmetics when the base transmogs are already rad

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Level cap of 100 is kind of absurd considering nothing really changes after like level 30. I would go with 60 tops with the way things are currently designed.

??? you get access to a massive skill tree thing at 50

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm bad but blood mist owns and I use it all the time, especially on world bosses. It's an instant CC break there's tons of opportunity to use it even on baby mode wt1

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I haven't played with it much but seems pretty similar (though smaller) than the PoE tree from what I remember, with yeah some +5 Int or whatever but each board also has two major doodads that are comparable to a D3 jewel or legendary aspect, otherwise.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The first bug I encountered was when I hit the skip button too quickly at the start of the credits and had to sit through them all

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I hate the poe tree but the point made was just that apparently nothing changes post-30, and a mini poe tree seems significant enough even if it's just the D3 paragon+jewel system in new clothes.

I mean you can be reductive and just say it's more "number go up" but the amount of post-campaign content at launch is pretty solid. I'm enjoying all the stuff that opened up at wt1 and am looking forward to nightmare dungeons and helltides in wt3 soon!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

Are there any classes that drop their basic skill and just run a core skill for damage and have decent resource generation? Blizzard leaning into builder/spender for every class with basic attacks feeling so trash is lame. And the Barbarian whirlwind changes kinda shows that's how they want things to be, no easy resource generation, you must hit your basic attacks a few times before your core skill

Probably possible to pull this off with bone spear since so much of your resource comes from corpse explosion. But they also just nerfed that a bit and there are definitely times (usually bosses) where you have no corpses and no essence. Maybe the endgame build with uniques where you're also building essence from the blight ability

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Fighting giant liches with ten other players and getting nuked by a party of streamlords while trying to extract red dust in my single player rpg

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

soscannonballs posted:

I think a lot of people are gonna be pretty mad at the nerfs. My build got hit pretty hard which sucks because its the only build for my class (necro) that I actually enjoy playing. I didn't pick bone necro because it was meta, I picked it because Bone Necro was my favorite build in D2 and D3 and now its going to be a lot less fun to play. I hope they make some tuning adjustments to the resource system that aren't just flat nerfs, because having to use a basic skill sucks rear end. My buddy is doing WW barb and his build straight up didn't function without a bunch of legendary powers, and with the nerfs it might not function at all.

Bone necro lost 0.6% crit and went from 9 to 6 essence per corpse explosion, it will be just fine

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

Yeah I get the impression these balance changes are from averaged data from tens of thousands of players, and blizz knows what they're doing.

When corpse explosion was extremely overpowered in the first beta weekend, it was hilarious as a player because of the power fantasy of it all, but you can imagine that ruins the end game once it scales up even more and you're one-shotting bosses.

Excuse me I paid one hundred dollars to play this video game four days early and it's absolutely bullshit that corpse explosion only gives me 6 essence instead of 9. Completely unplayable

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

it should be legally mandated by a court of law for a helltide to be active at all times

helltides fuckin own. At least more frequent than they currently are but preferably, always

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you aren't doing summons then I would probably shy away from Necro, the Summoning Class. Probably pick Sorc over Necro if Druid doesn't rub you the right way.

I haven't used minions in like 50 levels, bone necro owns

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I will say this for playing necro: it's gross as hell!

Really living up to the class fantasy as I explode the corpses of my enemies after each battle to recuperate my necro juices

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is there any point to the blue(magic) glyphs? Seems like you only have room on the paragon boards for a handful and I already appear to own almost all the yellow(rare) ones. Or is it just typical diablo lootflation stuff?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Syrinxx posted:

I'm missing just hopping into games and doing [greater] rifts. Is there a way to just quickly play with other people somehow that doesn't involve discord or clan lfg

Like random people? It's easy as hell to just hop in your friend'a game and kill poo poo

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

If there is a thing I don't love about D4 it's that I'm like 25 hours in at level 53 and can't just melt whole rooms of dudes at once with any regularity. In D3 I'd be rocking in GR 100+ by this point, but I remember back in the beginning where it was very slow also.

Every ARPG game they want to make the combat have mechanics and be hard and then slowly realize people just want to fill the screen with explosions and collect better and better loot faster and faster.

I'm 56 and I can explode whole rooms easily (corpse tendril to pull then bone prison and spamming bone spear/CE). I'm glad combat is also still deliberate though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Level scaling owns for this type of game. Without scaling it invalidates large swathes of the game and do people actually return to the newbie areas to make themselves feel good by exploding some poor rear end quillrat for a billion damage?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Gejimayu posted:

How much are people just being babies?

It's a video game and more specifically an arpg so 100%

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
iirc the devs straight up said that pvp is intentionally unbalanced for single players and being a cutthroat experience lines right up with how it was in d2 too

I've farmed out maybe 30000 blood sharts or whatever over a handful of entries and am 1-1 on kills-deaths so far. It's not too popular and if there's a roaming death squad I just go somewhere else.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Actually it was pretty fun when I was minding my own business flagging myself to open one of those bloodsworn only chests and some dude tried to gank me and got corpse exploded back to kyovashed

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah 45mins in a Helltide will land me a good dozen legendaries at level 60.

Still enjoying the endgame activities but it's not wholly unsurprising that it's unsatisfactory for people who have been playing 8hrs a day since EA. It'll be a while before the casuals catch up (most of my friends are in the 30-40 range), but definitely better than just repeating the campaign another 3-4 times and seems to be a good structure for further improvements.

Repeatedly running the exact same dungeon to get to 100 sounds like a miserable and unnecessary way to burn yourself out though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Events and dungeon mobs seem to drop the most legendaries while leveling, op. Imho

I got back to back uniques running nightmare dungeons at tier 10-15 and well rolled legendary items besides. Anecdotally the reward upon completion seems to be weighted a bit higher

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

rap music posted:

what am i supposed to do with all these drat sigils because im getting them faster than i can spend them

should i just trash t1 since im flying through them in a couple minutes

You eventually get the ability to salvage/craft more, but I'm not sure what the trigger is for that quest. I think if you do the first one a higher tier sigil will drop, do that one and it may unlock?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I like the more intimate and deliberate combat in this. It's a nice change from other arpgs which were approaching vampire survivors territory. It makes those large hits (frost nova one shots / corpse tendrils + boosted bone spears) that much more satisfying when mobs aren't already getting exploded by a stiff breeze

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

God drat are the lilith shrines annoying.

I smashed mine out last night. Threw on some music, the d4 map genie thing, and just zoned out while running around. It's not so bad once you have the strongholds, and if you can resist getting distracted by cellars/events

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
hoard nothing it's just gonna collect dust as soon as seasons start rolling around anyway.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It'd be nice if they did a thing where if you beat a nightmare dungeon at tier 30 or 50 or whatever you get the max roll for the aspect

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Oh no I can't get to level 100 within a week by grinding the same dungeon entrance repeatedly

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Does ilvl even go up after ancestral gear at 725? Like can I get an ancestral shako at ilvl725 at level 71 and then find an ilvl800 shako at level 95?

If the gearing doesn't change after you start wt4 and the only thing you're doing is increasing stats by level without anything interesting happening seems like a lot of teeth gnashing. At least in D3 you needed to be 60 before you even could access the best sets and legendaries, D4 seems more like D2 where the grind past 70-80 is just a pointless climb for the poop sockers

acumen fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 9, 2023

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

The limitation of six skills may have to do with consoles/controllers

It could also simply be an intentional restriction to provide more decision making for the player.

I don't think anyone wants to juggle a dozen active skills and a dozen passives with 1-2 actives is poo poo design too. The limitation was present in D3 too which was before the series was on consoles.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Clocks posted:

Controllers have been figured out for ages now. People play ff14 on controller and that's an MMO where you can have several dozen buttons.

Just holding a shoulder button + face buttons would give you an extra 16 actions easily.

yeah this isn't a controller limitation at all. 3-6 active abilities just seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of games and is probably a lot easier to balance around. If there's cool abilities that you have clearly better options for then that's a balance or buildcrafting thing, not a hotkey thing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Kaddish posted:

I noticed that too, I wonder if not all dungeons have a NM version.

They don't. I assume it's something that'll get patched in over time/seasons, although I'm not quite sure why only some of them get NM versions in the first place. Might just be the more "standard" dungeons that can't be skipped through as easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

M. Night Skymall posted:

The nightmare dungeons are seasonal, with a different set for wt3 and wt4 each season (This being season 0, I guess.) Not sure what the reasoning is though.

Ahh that makes sense. Rotate them out to artificially make them feel new/fresh again since you need to grind them so much for glyphs