Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Starting to look as though Declan Rice to Arsenal will be done soon, with fees from 90-100m being quoted. So that’s cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheRat posted:

Is that actually being reported by anyone serious? I've not seen it outside of Arsenal posters so far. Actual journalists are saying West Ham want far more than Arsenal are willing to pay (so far)

The Guardian’s top story is about how arsenal are confident of getting him for 90 and the Telegraph have a piece about how west ham are spending the 92m they’ve agreed for him (which is a very weird way of addressing the issue) so it does seem to be picking up steam.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

tristeham posted:

his game last night really didn't scream 90 millions worth midfielder

Not showing up in big games means he has real Arsenal DNA.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It’s been kind of in the back of my mind that the current crop of players in their prime late 20’s- early 30’s haven’t really produced as many top, top players as other generations*, so I wonder if we’ll see other top clubs invest in youth.

* I haven’t actually thought too hard about this and I’m sure it can be partially refuted through googling and effort posts so please don’t @ me.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I get what you're saying. I think part of that is because of how utterly dominant Messi and Ronaldo were. Neymar is probably one of the best players of that late-20s, early-30s demo that you mentioned, but even so, his entire career has been played in the shadows of those other two.

It does get tough to think about because of how long Ronaldo and Messi were utterly dominant, but it also feels to me that the generation before them were also better, too. If you look at the Ballon D'or nominations for the mid 00's there were just a glut of players really, really good players. Just looking at 2005 for instance, we had Ronaldinho, Lampard, Gerrard, Henry, Schevchenko, Zlatan, Kaka, Maldini, Drogba, Ballack, and Zidane all playing at the same time. OTOH Jorginho finished third in Ballon D'Or voting in 2021.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Carrier posted:

Would those players be considered as good if they were playing in an era with Messi and Ronaldo? Like I feel like Lewa, Kane, DeBruyne, Salah, Neymar, Bale etc. are all players that would feel at home in that list but obviously pale compared to the big two.

Lewa is probably aged out of the range I’m thinking of. The rest of the players are probably on the same level even if Bale died several years ago, but it seems like a smaller and less inspiring list with the “etc” doing a lot of work.

Ornstein has tweeted that Arsenal are in for Havertz.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Wanting to make a profit on Kai Havertz after a few years when he hasn’t quite worked out and all of his hype is gone seems a little misguided, so very on brand for Chelsea these days.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TyrantWD posted:

Edu has to go. He is not good enough at executing transfers to get us where we want to go.

Literally every large transfer a club gives us their asking price X, and he goes how about X-20, no? How about X-15, no? How about X-10, no? X-5? OK fine, we will pay X.

He takes weeks to eventually give in and pay the full price every single time, and occasionally gets gazumped in the process.

This is a very extreme reaction, OP.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Good news, west ham want over 100m so apparently arsenals second bid is £101m

£40,000,001

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’ve always just assumed that Portuguese players seem prone to going to wealthy footballing backwaters because they’re big into third party ownership still.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Given that Arsenal are rebuilding their central midfield after their best league performance in decades, they may want to speed this up a bit as this all could go pretty badly if they start missing out on their targets.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

West Ham rejected Arsenal's first offer because of unrealistic add-ons like that

his proposal includes a lot more guaranteed money while we're discussing the pros and cons of made up transfer offers

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Right. He was saying 90+15 instead of 75+15 so I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Havertz to Arsenal is apparently done for 65m pending medical and bolding. Seems like a nice move for Chelsea to get their money back given that he didn’t quite work out there.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

whostolemyhat posted:

Isn't it only City that are wealthier than Arsenal? Arsenal are one of the richest clubs in the world, and there are very few other clubs which will just rock up and go "here's £100m over 2 years" because they don't need to worry about budgeting at all.

I’m pretty sure that United and Liverpool have basically always consistently outperformed Arsenal financially.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Chelsea have spent 35m on Nicolas Jackson, a striker who had an okay season with Villarreal last year.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

With the Saudi stuff I feel like we're just at the beginning of another cycle of a league getting big money injections and trying to raise its profile by signing big names. It happened with MLS, it happened with China, it happened with the smaller Gulf states like Qatar on a smaller scale, I even remember it happening with the Russian league when it was flush with oil cash. Every time what's happened is some older players go to pick up big paychecks at the end of their career, a few younger players go there to waste some years of their career from some combination of sketchy agent shenanigans, wanting the big payouts, or falling for the hype that this is the league of the future, and after a few years it all dies down again when everybody remembers that the best players want to be playing for prestige clubs in the Champions League instead of competing for nothing in a Mickey Mouse league, and eventually the people injecting all the money get impatient, stop throwing their money in a big hole, and discover that actually the league isn't sustainable or popular without huge ongoing cash injections. Maybe this is the time that finally breaks the trend and Saudi Arabia becomes the new heart of world football, but I doubt it.

The Saudis seem to have more money than the past groups of oligarchs who have dumped money into football. They also seem to think that sportswashing is actually something that confers a benefit on them, so they may actually have the determination to Lee going with this. I just don’t see how a bunch of stars playing in the desert for teams with no known history outside of Saudi Arabia will ever be interesting viewing. Seems like their money would be better spent hosting events and sponsoring/buying teams.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Havertz is a bit of a head scratcher, as is the fee for Rice, but I'm willing to trust Arteta and Edu given what they've done so far.

Nicky Pepe was a decent but really weird player. I think that if he had a consistent run of starts in the PL he would have had a decent goal return, but he also goes missing for long stretches and brings very little to the table except for his ability to pop up with the odd goal. He probably would have made sense for a team that needed goals so much that they could accommodate him and at a fee that didn't involve a financial crime, but he didn't make any sense for Arsenal.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

I actually have no idea what viera’s position/style is. Every time I’ve seen him play, he looks all over the place and ineffectual in defense or attack

He seems to exclusively be a no 10/ central attacking midfielder, but yeah - he’s not good and I think Havertz coming in means we’ve probably seen about the last of him.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Were United ultimately the ones who bit on the Michael Owen brochure?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’ll always remember the time he threw his shirt on the ground because he had been boo’d for being poo poo.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Da-da-da da da da da SALIBA

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Can’t believe we’re on the verge of signing Mbappe.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Thanks Ants posted:

Reworking all the Henry songs

Surely his song has to be based on mmmbop?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Thanks Ants posted:

United want 50m for Maguire

lmao i thought they were just going to let him go for free.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that spurs are apparently asking bayern for £120m for Harry Kane, a player with one year left on his contract and no resale value

that's nearly five drogbas

I don't follow OP

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Hasn’t Barcelona’s thing historically been to be publicly very interested in players so they they can get them unsettled and swoop in for a cheap transfer fee?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Just Chamber posted:

Yeah but he completely squandered the 80m for Bale and I would love him to do the same again

I was going to say that I’m just here to see how Spurs squander the Kane money.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I wonder how the Saudis are identifying these players. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern in who are being linked with moves to the Saudi league. Have they just asked the major agents to poll their clients to see who would be willing to play in a bush league in the desert for a ton of money?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Sandwolf posted:

Everyone going there wants $$$ over a respectable playing career. Did anyone come back from China and continue to play at the top level..?

No I get that. I’m just wondering how they have gone about identifying people who are down for that.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
لن تمشي لوحدك

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ulio posted:

Saudi's aren't the smartest businessmen, they have been just lucky to have one of the most important commodities in the history of humanity since last century. This is clearly dumb as poo poo but probably true.

I keep imagining how they formulated this plan and all I can imagine is some Prince’s aide presenting their plan to sportswash Europe and the presentation is just the aide pulling a piece of cloth off an easel to reveal a piece of poster board plastered with the faces of all the best players and a caption that just says “BUY ALL THE BEST FOOTBALLERS.”

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
United seem to be spending 70m on Rasmussen Hojlund, a young tall striker who scored a modest amount of goals in Serie A.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Just Chamber posted:

Arsenal are not signing Raya. No way we'd just give up on Ramsdale like that and no way we're benching him which will gently caress up his development. Also no way Raya would join Arsenal to be a number 2. Silly rumour all around really. Matt Turner should get at least a chance in the starting 11 if Arteta is trying to kick Ramsdale up the arse for making stupid mistakes.

It’s from Ornstein, so it’s almost certainly something Arsenal has put out there.

I don’t really get it, though. I haven’t been entirely convinced by Ramsdale for quite a while now, but he has been a nailed on starter for two years now and seems to be popular within the team. It seems like there are better places where they can put their money, like a striker who scores goals.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

paddyboat posted:

Fabinho done for €46m. Here is a video of him and his new(?) pet tiger.

https://twitter.com/joshlfc1909/status/1686100671676715008?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

So the Tiger is gay and that’s why it couldn’t come to Saudi Arabia?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Crazy to me that Arsenal have set up this Raya transfer as a smokescreen to deflect from Mbappe’s imminent arrival, but here we are

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

wooger posted:

Martinez is/was amazing too, there’s a real pattern here. Arsenal continue to fiddle around selling decent keepers off for no reason and still don’t have a deep enough squad to compete if their star outfield players Saka / Rice / Odegaard go down.

The backups for those players are Trossard, Partey, and ESR, which is pretty drat good for depth. I don’t think it’s very typical or realistic to expect a team to be more deep than that. Most teams just really can’t compete if all of their best players go injured for extended periods of time.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
All things being equal, if everything had worked out nicely and Arsenal could have identified Martinez as being a competent keeper five years ago, I probably would have preferred to just stick with him rather than spending ~100m on Leno, Ramsdale, and now Raya. I don't remember whether he's actually good with his feet, but that's also a dumb strategy for foreign fancy dans.

For Raya, I think Masonity made a good point that lowering goals conceded is probably the easiest way for Arsenal to pick up points. I'm more of the opinion that Arsenal conceding goals was the result of the defense getting discombobulated when Saliba and Tomiyasu went down and Arsenal had to play Holding at cb and White on the right, but Timber should probably address that problem. I guess saving some points off of Ramsdale's gaffs will help.

The weakest position for Arsenal right now is probably at striker. Gabriel Jesus is fine, but Nketiah doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Finding someone who could contribute more goals or potentially just offer a different style of play from Jesus would be great, but actual good strikers who cost less than 100m are very tough to find these days so I'm not really holding my breath.

e: Also I did forget that it seemed like Ramsdale was falling apart at the end of last season.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

Are you still selling Balogun while persisting with Nketiah? I'm very surprised that Arsenal still see anything in Nketiah other than possibly being unable to sell him due to that fat new contract he got last season for some reason.

It seems that way and I don't really get it, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TyrantWD posted:

Because Balogun wants to be a starter. If he was happy being a backup and fighting for a spot, and we had teams willing to buy Eddie, we would sell him instead. There is interest in Balogun from other teams, next to nothing for Eddie.

Like when we sold Emi and kept Leno. Emi wanted to start, but also had teams bidding 20m for him, while Leno had no interest. Couldn't keep Emi and sell Leno when there is no one to sell him to.

Assuming they don't go and buy another striker, I'd just prefer to keep them all. It's not like three is an obscene amount of strikers. Both Nketiah and Balogun have multiple years on their contract and if they can't get into the team or are unhappy they can gently caress off in the winter or next year.