Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

that was supposed to be the disney sizzle reel

sorry, i meant to quote haveblue. my reply was to this

haveblue posted:

I would go with 2, this device has been so secret there are so few third party devs working on it

the richest company on earth didn't bother hiring a couple of game devs or cg artists to make a really cool sizzle reel demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

time to barf any% speedrun WORLD RECORD

it is interesting that you'd say that, because i kind of figured that commercial flights are stable compared to any other transport. not like passengers have any frame of reference whatsoever either way, and while motion sickness on planes is a thing, i've not been on a flight with anyone getting sick for like two decades at this point.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i nearly always hear someone barfing when i'm flying back west. the plane is already descending when it crosses over the sierra nevada and the turbulence coming off them is significant.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Sagebrush posted:

time to barf any% speedrun WORLD RECORD

plane? oh man, what about car?

choo choo all aboard the vomit comet

its gonna be great when all of these things on ebay stink of nepobaby puke the same way early oculus headsets did

doubly so because its using ir to infer transforms for frame of reference. like i get it "makes sense", but you'd need an accelerometer to draw a marching frame of reference to alleviate nausea here (assuming you can do the latency fast enough for a vehicle which I doubt) but i don't see apple having the common sense to figure that out

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Expo70 posted:

a polymorphic dashboard of primitives

turn on your monitor

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

infernal machines posted:

and also $3500 a unit

you don't generally create weird art with a $3500 paintbrush. i mean you could, but on average that's not going to select for the people creating weird art

My ipad pro from a few years ago cost over $2k (I got the 1TB option as it was the only way to get more RAM in the unit) and I use it for Clip Studio Paint almost exclusively and other than a new version with a bigger screen (I would kill for a 16" iPad specifically for keeping on your desktop for art apps) I can't see spending more than that for doing the same thing. I did buy a 30" Wacom Cintiq and that was over $2k but had to be hooked up to my computer. One day it stopped working and I'm glad I spent a few hundred bucks for an extended warranty because they said they couldn't repair it and just gave me the cost of the cintiq back.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

goblin week posted:

turn on your monitor

not quite?

the closest you get is programs which let you yank bits of their ui and stick them back together like photoshop and even they are limited to their own windows and their own workflows and their own tenses and moments of interaction

again, its literally the idea of stitching programs together out of other programs -- not just glueing chunks on the front

some early dev tools on NeXT and Mac OS took a crack at this but even then it was a very very basic attempt

on the upside, we got the worldwide web out of that

on the downside, we also got the world wide web out of that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is interesting that you'd say that, because i kind of figured that commercial flights are stable compared to any other transport. not like passengers have any frame of reference whatsoever either way, and while motion sickness on planes is a thing, i've not been on a flight with anyone getting sick for like two decades at this point.

i imagine someone going 600 mph in one direction with something strapped an inch from their face showing them motion in a different direction while their surroundings are completely blocked out is going to barf

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

infernal machines posted:

you don't generally create weird art with a $3500 paintbrush. i mean you could, but on average that's not going to select for the people creating weird art

wow do i ever have some news for you about the cost of art supplies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My ipad pro from a few years ago cost over $2k (I got the 1TB option as it was the only way to get more RAM in the unit) and I use it for Clip Studio Paint almost exclusively and other than a new version with a bigger screen (I would kill for a 16" iPad specifically for keeping on your desktop for art apps) I can't see spending more than that for doing the same thing. I did buy a 30" Wacom Cintiq and that was over $2k but had to be hooked up to my computer. One day it stopped working and I'm glad I spent a few hundred bucks for an extended warranty because they said they couldn't repair it and just gave me the cost of the cintiq back.

yeah that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cintiqs are fuckin expensive as poo poo

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

cintiqs are fuckin expensive as poo poo

some of the alternatives are starting to get good and i hear positive things from people who regular them in their dayjobs producing unspeakable horrors for suspiciously wealthy furries

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk poo poo but my understanding is that there's a big dividing line in digital art where one side is cintiq+photoshop and the other side is ipad+procreate

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

apple has spent years and billions of dollars employing hundreds of very smart people on this and "powerpoint floating in space" is the best they could come up with

Yeah but wait until you get a load of "Excel floating in space".

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I had an old rear end toshiba m200 convertible laptop with a wacom digitizer and though i don't have any art skill, it was really, really fun.

Also still felt better than pencil + ipad 6th setup.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i imagine someone going 600 mph in one direction with something strapped an inch from their face showing them motion in a different direction while their surroundings are completely blocked out is going to barf

the speed does not really matter at least, as one can observe in that there's no particular sense of speed on a plane.

but reading other comments i realize that on planes i already isolate from whatever is going on around me to the extent i can with current technology, so there may well be a lot more human misery than i realize. much like my life in general.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

idk poo poo but my understanding is that there's a big dividing line in digital art where one side is cintiq+photoshop and the other side is ipad+procreate

that's largely people producing work fulltime who have an excessive budget and have youtube or streaming channels vs students with wealthy parents who are or want to go to artschool which are two of the more visible demographics

if you're into getting volumes of work done, look into Huion and XP-PEN's newer stuff but make sure it has tilt and that you try before you buy to get a feel for it though screen tablets are kind of a meme honestly and a lot of people want them thinking it'll suddenly improve their art skills or make them feel as comfortable drawing on the computer as they do with materials

turns out a lot of getting comfortable on the computer is one hell of a lot more to do with memorizing your software, your hotkeys and doing as much automation as you possibly can for tool switching, setup and layer actions (which is really one of the main draws of photoshop, though clip studio is a really close second on this front, especially its ai masking tools for coloring which i'm honestly furious adobe hasn't brought to photoshop)

i did try these out and found i got on with them, but i had the discovery that I (and as it turns out most people) work much much slower because hands covering the screen slowed everybody down like crazy, and that its actually far more optimal to work with a largeish tablet without a screen and that a good desk and posture are way way more important than where your eyes go

if you can go from xbox to playstation controllers, or from qwerty to dvorak or you can go from pencils to charcoals, you can absolutely draw with your eyes on a screen

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I just checked in with my Apple friends and they say the Vision Pro is amazing.

This was not my experience when working on AR products so I guess I have to buy one to see what's up.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the speed does not really matter at least, as one can observe in that there's no particular sense of speed on a plane.

but reading other comments i realize that on planes i already isolate from whatever is going on around me to the extent i can with current technology, so there may well be a lot more human misery than i realize. much like my life in general.

idk, there's a definite sense of motion (especially during descent/ascent) that i think might make using it kinda tricky

people using other goggles were getting motion sickness while completely stationary, idk how much having a visual passthrough might help but i imagine "not much" (particularly since the main selling point, for plane trips anyway, is that you can completely block out your surroundings)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1665824548967546880

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

tk posted:

Yeah but wait until you get a load of "Excel floating in space".

eve online?

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
Fun conversation:

"Remember that time where someone wore out the velcro on their perfectly good Rift and they contacted Meta support?"

"Yeah?"

"Apple was listening when Meta flat out told them to 'just buy a new headset', and thought 'its my time to shine'."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you're accelerating during ascent and descent. not because ascent or descent requires that, but the flight plan tends to have those happen at the same time

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

tk posted:

This was not my experience when working on AR products so I guess I have to buy one to see what's up.

I think if its nice to use, people will probably try to find ways to actually make it useful

Developers will literally drag Apple kicking and screaming

Isn't that how apps happened on iphone?

apple was like "nnnooo moooommmmm juuust use a websiiiiiiite oooh my goooaaaawwwwddddddd onnlyyy apps for uuuusssssssss" like a spoiled teenager sobbing and stamping its feet in the store

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 5, 2023

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

So, I'd done a bit of work on VR education apps on the instruction/learning side and was thinking that after this I'd know if I wanted to try making something in Unity or buckle down and actually learn Apple's AR ecosystem.

But now after seeing how much the demo was focused on watching movies and 'iPad apps but floating,' and all the very reasonable critiques in this thread, with this price tag I feel like I should just wait for the second version (if it ever comes out) or wait and see what Epic does in ten years.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hahahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

eve online?

rotor posted:

hahahaha

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I had an old rear end toshiba m200 convertible laptop with a wacom digitizer and though i don't have any art skill, it was really, really fun.

Also still felt better than pencil + ipad 6th setup.

this has got to be rose-colored glasses. the apple pencil is noticeably more responsive than nearly any wacom product i've used. an intuos on a fast computer with a high-refresh display is the only thing that comes close. i greatly prefer the software options on a real computer, but the hardware snappiness of an ipad pro + pencil is really nice.

rotor posted:

in my experience this is about the sort of art you're doing and your experience level. seasoned digital artists who are used to photoshop will use cintiqs, as will zbrush operators etc. people who are newer to the area, and/or who are traditional artists moving to digital, tend to go with the ipad.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Don't forget the M2 Ultra Mac Pro, look how barren the motherboard looks:

did they change the wheel interface how much are the new wheels

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

this has got to be rose-colored glasses. the apple pencil is noticeably more responsive than nearly any wacom product i've used.

Wasn't response time so much as 'paper x pen(cil)' feel. That thing really did feel like a sketchbook. I know a lot of the e-ink tablets have been chasing that aspect

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

shame on an IGA posted:

did they change the wheel interface how much are the new wheels

$400.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Expo70 posted:

I think if its nice to use, people will probably try to find ways to actually make it useful

It doesn't need to be useful, it needs to be useful in a way that other devices couldn't be. A lot more useful.

Apple can afford to play the long game so maybe they have some good idea. Feels pretty aspirational to me.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tk posted:

VR demos incredibly well. assuming the demo doesn't make you sick it's pretty impressive

after having a headset for a year, you've played superhot and beat saber and tried the other games that aren't fun or are 10 minutes long, and that's about all there is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you also get tired of having to lock your kids and pets out of the room so you don't punch or step on them

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Expo70 posted:

plane? oh man, what about car?

choo choo all aboard the vomit comet

its gonna be great when all of these things on ebay stink of nepobaby puke the same way early oculus headsets did

doubly so because its using ir to infer transforms for frame of reference. like i get it "makes sense", but you'd need an accelerometer to draw a marching frame of reference to alleviate nausea here (assuming you can do the latency fast enough for a vehicle which I doubt) but i don't see apple having the common sense to figure that out

drat you're right people are going to try and drive on these so they can overlay their movie 50m in front of their car or whatever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

distortion park posted:

drat you're right people are going to try and drive on these so they can overlay their movie 50m in front of their car or whatever

it'll be fine, surely full self drive will be perfected in the next six months

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/sterlingcrispin/status/1665792422914453506

quote:

Other tricks to infer cognitive state involved quickly flashing visuals or sounds to a user in ways they may not perceive, and then measuring their reaction to it.

this is creepy af.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I really want that 15” MBA but my 13” M1 is fine except it needs a new battery

if I’m gonna spend $129 for a battery I might as well spend the $1600 for a new laptop instead, right?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

watching the state of the union and the vision pro stuff all looks like rear end.

swiftdata though :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

crispy silver