Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

In retrospect, maybe launching a presidential campaign with no concrete plans other than "hire people to make meme videos catering exclusively to a specific brand of early-20's Twitter cryptofascist" wasn't a very good idea!

I mean the plan, at least from my perspective was:

1) Say you are running as a Trump-like (x)
2) Scare other people from running ( )
3) Hope Trump's legal problems prevent him from running ( )
4) Somehow get good media coverage - Incomplete, he did until he didn't
5) Rally the base around you ( )

I know in USPol I mentioned No Labels but my guess is they are getting more coverage because the Republicans are floundering for a national figure at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Trump's 2nd Term, No Trump.

Or

Become Florida, Or Else...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

This seems like a loser strategy from a campaign desperately trying to make something happen. Harris isn't even all that visible in public. Also, at some point you have to OFFER something to the American public.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A candidate it is physically possible to have a beer with.

I have a beer within close proximity of a being called Ron DeSantis, politician.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Someone asked me how do you do the Trump routine without acknowledging the big lie, which is admittedly hard. But DeSantis needed to come out and just say, Trump lost. His personality and mental fortitude caused him to lose and we need to accept that. Yah, he would of lost some of the base but he would of distinguished himself from the field and got press for standing out in the field.

As it stands there is nothing to distinguish him from Trump.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The poll in USCE that put DeSantis in 3rd is both amazing and the reason we shouldn't believe Jan 7th 2021 hype on candidates.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Name Change posted:

I never thought I'd come to say this from where I was at some years ago, but if you are looking to polls for vindication of your gut feelings you may as well stick with your gut feelings. Lately they're way off. Remember the guaranteed slam dunk for Republicans during the midterms? These aren't even polls close to an election, they're not even worth thinking about IMO.

Not much has changed about Biden since 2020. A lot has changed about Trump and none of it's good for Trump.

Also:

Reagan, Clinton, W., and Obama lost tons of "popularity" from their first election going into the second term. Usually, they recover after the campaign pushes out into the world and things come into focus.

This isn't to say it can't happen. Hell, it just recently did and if the economy just loving tanks on say August 1st, then yah its going to be hard. But those are things you can't control.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Most of the also-rans are betting on him landing in prisoner sooner rather than later and so need to keep the act up until that point, except Christie who seems to just want to throw molotovs at Trump.

Also, one of them is hoping to catch fire somehow and change the race.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I wander outside of my echo chambers now and then - a few times a week really - and the reporting, comments, topics and selective reporting is really something. Especially when I know that it actually LANDS. All I need to know about it, I can ascertain by simply overhearing conversations at work. The Rush Limbaugh model is 100% the modern GOP mold.

There has to be a study out there about how the fracturing of media has allowed people to self-select what they want to see. Back when it was just ABC, CBS, and NBC reporting news you were getting dry fact reporting and then fox and all these smaller networks come out AM radio decides to go full conservative talk and it allowed people to not have to engage with uncomfortable things.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sax Mortar posted:

I can't wait for the NH primary to be over. Living where I do in MA means we share a media market and I've been pelted with Haley ads non-stop.

Did you hear the Hip-Hop Candidate (whose running as a Republican apparently?) on the radio too?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gyges posted:

It's hard to tell at this point how long Haley and DeSantis are going to limp through the primary. Their entire run is predicated on being the one there when Trump magically goes away. I think Ron's billionaire masters are more likely to tell him to wrap it up than Haley's though.

Haley winning New Hampshire gives her a shot in the arm and a bunch of media coverage of coming out of nowhere, I am not sure it could break Trump but it might get some money behind her.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

daslog posted:

Got home to New Hampshire tonight after being away for 2 weeks. I received a handful of political mail

who the gently caress is doing their targetting?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

Also who is sending Biden mailers when he’s not even on the NH ballot?

A few democrats are campaigning up there to get some press, so basically make sure the margin is so large the media won't report on it.

edit: also to weed out bad addresses and get volunteers for the election later on.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Huh? Why is he not on the ballot?

The Democrats told New Hampshire they will no longer recognize them as the first in the nation primary.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Timmy Age 6 posted:

On the subject of Haley's targeting, or lack thereof, I got this text yesterday.

I have a consistent record of voting in Democratic primaries here... why the gently caress do they think Judge Judy is going to get out my vote for Nikki Haley? This is after a run of messages about several events with Governor "Spineless loving Weasel" Sununu. They're bad at their job.

I wonder if the Haley people are banking on some unenrolleds to vote Haley. That would be my guess. It never works but hey, maybe this time.

Also, gently caress the Sununu's forever and ever and I say this from deep in my Masshole heart.

Angry_Ed posted:

As a Massachusetts resident I've also been getting pinged with Haley texts even though I've never lived in NH, and never voted Republican ever besides that.

I bet you have a 978 area code.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I think even Haley herself doesn't expect to get the nomination at this point, but she's doing well enough that she can justify staying in the race, boosting her profile and becoming the darling of whatever's left of the old GOP establishment.

I mean there is a play for 2028 if she can be the next in line DeSantis and get fawning coverage about how's different than Trump (despite being in the admin).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Gone DeSantis
https://x.com/RonDeSantis/status/1749159384112845285?s=20

Ron's going to retire back to Florida while transforming into Scott Walker 2.0

He looks like Homelander if Homelander didn't work out.

Also, Scott Walker was defeated eventually.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gyges posted:

He doesn't have the charisma to win and will always be dunked on no matter what cycle it is. All of his hype in the media was the result of his people tricking the national media into believing Ron was a political mastermind who did nothing but win. The truth is that he got to where he is by cravenly only running when he would probably win, and barely winning the one actual race he was ever in. Remember that in 2016 he jumped into the Florida Senate race and then fled like a chicken the second Rubio came back.

Also the media wanted a young fresh guy who bucked the COVID trend to play against Biden.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Staluigi posted:

we have lander at home

Ronlander
Chonklander

Ron isn't all that big, I just couldn't resist Chonklander.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

There was the push for a "competent Trump", someone who would do and pass all of the things that Trump and Co. wanted/did but had the decency to shut the gently caress up about it. They want the results without the President telling people to drink bleach and all that fun stuff.

As you've seen, there's not enough primary voters to support Diet Trump over the real thing.

Being Diet Trump isn't a bad thing in the primary, you just needed to call out the corruption. Trump was a bad guy but I want to continue his policies. They couldn't even muster that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dixville Notch gave Haley a 100-point lead, but it is much closer on the Democratic side.

A three-way tie for 0. All 6 of the town's eligible voters decided to vote in the Republican primary and none in the Democratic primary.

Shameful Joe Biden is losing the Democratic Primary.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the primary is over, its just the question of "does haley do well enough to keep up the charade/horse race/excuse to keep running" Or "does she get crushed by king dumbass and bend the knee by the 31st". I am weirdly still surprised desantis didnt keep loving that chicken and stay in until florida.

If she gets 40% or over she is going to keep running. She'll get some money behind her and set herself up for 2028.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. I actually think she does pretty well tonight, maybe pulls a win. NH is kinda the "moderate" GOP state and i think alot of them loving hate trump and even if some bend the knee after, want to blacken an eye before hand.

If she gets within 5 of Trump the media is going to give some fawning praise about her and create some real momentum.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Haley needs to stop mentioning Kamla Harris, no one cares.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Anno posted:

Do we want her to remain in the race as long as possible? I guess I would think so. Or maybe it just doesn’t matter a bit.

I mean, might as well let them attack each other and show how unviable they are.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Inferior Third Season posted:

People also underestimate low probability events.

According to the Social Security Administration's actuarial table, 77-year-old Trump has a 4.9% chance of dying before the inauguration in one year, and 81-year-old Biden has a 7.1% chance. The odds of at least one of them dying before the inauguration is 11.8%. We can estimate about an 8% chance of one of them dying before the election. A low probability event, but not incredibly low. There is less chance of flipping a coin heads four times in a row than one of them dying before the election.

I don;t know I look at this thing it always makes me depressed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

B B posted:

Of course it is. With that said, I think those constitutional provisions were made for the case where the president accidentally or unexpectedly becomes incapacitated. I doubt that the framers wrote that part of the constitution for the case where one of the parties knowingly runs a candidate who is experiencing obvious cognitive decline and has a pretty high statistical chance of dying in his sleep.

There's also the 25th Amendment and the various succession laws. What exactly is the point you are trying to make again? I am very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I generally think the "other party comes to gently caress stuff up" thing is more of a political science fantasy than a significant thing. But for sure New Hampshire and South Carolina are unique states so far for Haley. Still they're also the only two states she's gone head to head with Trump in so that she has done decently and there are some scary numbers for Trump stand as the evidence we have at the moment. We'll see how things shape up down the line but I feel like there's not going to be a classic "coalescing around the front runner" thing here. Trump will win but you already love or hate Trump well before you started thinking about Nikki Haley. So I think as long as she's the last "alternative" standing she will draw a relatively significant number. But we'll see.

the amount of organization to do that, instead of using the energy, time, and resources to help bolster your candidate should make it a fantasy.