Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VitalSigns posted:

If the only thing you care about is getting a president with a (D) next to his name, and not his ability to do the job for four years, running an 80-year-old isn't that big a risk because there's only a small window where his death can screw you over. If he dies early enough you can still have a primary, if he dies after the Electoral College votes you have a VP, if he dies after the election but before the EC vote you can (with some coordination) pick someone else (though there is a risk of loving that up and throwing the election to the House), you're really only likely hosed if he dies right before the election, which is pretty unlikely. And even then, a dead candidate has won before! An unnecessary risk to be sure, but a very small one.

The RBG nonsense was just nuts, gambling an old woman wouldn't die any time in the next four years doesn't even compare.

I mean, the thing with RBG wasn't her age. It was that she kept collecting different cancer diagnoses. When you've already had lung, colon, and pancreatic cancer by the time the race to replace Obama was beginning warm ups, it's a way less safe bet that you'll make it through the next Presidential term than either of the old guys currently running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Doug Burgum the only candidate mailing out fliers that don't, at first glance, look like attack fliers on themselves? The apex of my graphic design skills is realizing font should contrast with the background to be legible, and I'm honestly baffled how anything other than cosplay-cowboy managed to even make it to the printer.

Maybe they've all been so caught up in attack mailers sine the 90s that they've honestly forgotten how to choose candidate photos, fonts, and layouts that don't look scary/off-putting.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 13, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd say that short guys do have hurdles in some aspects of life. The funny thing is average rear end height dipshits like DeSantis who get bent out of shape about their height. You know all the guys who swear they're six foot even but seem to be 2 inches shorter than the 6 mark on the side of the gas station door.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think that if you really look at yesterday's results Conservatism wasn't beaten black and blue, it was failed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zotix posted:

I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one

Every single answer starts with this.

They are Republicans after all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

StumblyWumbly posted:

Republican Presidential primaries tend to have a lot of folks who use the primary as advertising for their next media or talking head job. Hell, this was probably Trump's plan until he won.

Trump dreamed bigger, and was going to flip his loss into a whole new cable channel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Space Fish posted:

Reposting in light of Nikki "they're not three inches, they're five" "ammunition heels" Haley. Ron wants to catch the kick on its way to Vivek.

I'm no fan of the GOP but she and Christie are the only coherent speakers on stage across all three debates so far. Did anyone catch the shot of Tim and Vivek chuckling on their end while Nikki was speaking? Looked like morons. Does that happen a lot in debates and it's just kept out of frame?

Everyone wants to be like daddy Trump without understanding what he actually does. Trump doesn't chuckle at someone, he interrupts to point out their wife is ugly and they suck. Toxic alphabroing is about asserting power through intimidation and bluster, not giggling in the back of the class while someone else is talking.

Which is why acting like a petulant child in a debate is abnormal. If you're not taking it with "proper" seriousness your other option is being an rear end in a top hat. Voters can respect and support assholery, dipshitery on the other hand is a tough sell.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think part of the reason he doesn’t drop out is because he realizes the Florida gop would gently caress him over if the money flees more or disneys butchers bill is too high or trump demands it. Every article I read talks about how desantis didn’t even try to make friends and in roads into the party more and throws tantrums and poo poo. Meanwhile Trump will call you if you’re sick.

His main issue is that he was built up as the next guy, and promptly turned around and used that status as a club to threaten the legislature into line. This was exasperated by his win making him look like he was wildly popular. So for a time he was demanding fealty and charging favors as the guy who was going to win the nomination. Then by the time he actually announced, he was beyond his sell by date but had demanded a lot of absolutely stupid moves that will only hurt everyone who carried them out.

The Mouse is not going to forget this, and most of these guys are stuck in the cage with him. Their calculation was that they'd have a powerful backing from next level DeSantis. With the usual modern day Republican Political Calculus and Planning caveat of a huge stein of Kool-aide being drunk at the same time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Turns out being a good boyfriend is too time consuming to allow for a Presidential run.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
DeSantis' problem lie more in his anti-charisma, AI mannerisms, and clear usage of high heels. People can't hear his meaningless answers through his strained, rigor smile.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VorpalBunny posted:

So has Trump gone even further down the fash-hole than before? The media is reporting it like he's literally parroting Hitler, and his plans for a second/forever term are more alarming than ever. Did the recent polls just go to his head? He had been off the campaign trail for a while, and sort-of keeping his mouth shut, but these recent rallys have reminded everyone of the rhetoric and I feel like people are alarmed he's still aiming for authoritarianism.

I think it's less him Hitlering faster, more leaks of depositions and other info coming from the trials making it less easy to sweep under the rug and ignore. So 3 years of building evidence finally hitting a sufficient saturation point that it's no longer loony lefties and RESISTANCE RADICALS saying dudes fash. His continued use of the bullhorn is just keeping it from regressing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mustang posted:

I still don't know what Ron thought he was accomplishing by agreeing to this, I think he thought Newsom would back out of it for some dumb reason.

Nobody is going to watch the debate, so the goal is to make clips for the base. Ron's still got an uphill battle to get usable clips that don't include one of his weird mannerisms, or highlight his hosed up boots.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Clarste posted:

What is Newsom accomplishing? I think they both want the exact same thing, tbh. To get some clips of them owning someone their supporters already completely loathe. Which is safe because those supporters won't care even slightly care what the other guy says, he's just an ideological strawman. In that sense, they could probably both benefit from this? At least a little.

My favorite part of "viral" clips of a debate/podcast/conversation between people is when both sides show the exact same clip to their bubble, and both groups agree that their guy totally destroyed and ended the other guy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Riptor posted:

I don't see how it hurts and to the extent that more people know his name outside of California I do think it helps

Also outside of Trump, and maybe Mitch, DeSantis is probably the #1 current political bad guy for Democrats. Newsom probably would have liked to get his kicks in before Ron's total implosion, but being the guy who publicly beat DeSantis is good feather to put in your hat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zwabu posted:

The thing is, no matter where she is actually campaigning, she has to be paranoid to avoid a video clip that will alienate the huge number of “state’s rights heritage not hate” people in her party.

You bullshit a list of a bunch of things that ultimately boil down to slavery but make it seem like they're something else, then end with "of course slavery was also an issue". Racists are happy, because you clearly said slavery to avoid the gotcha, and Democrats are unable to spin up an effective controversy because you said the magic words.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Virtually anyone but Trump also doesn't galvanize the other side to crawl through broken glass to vote for the candidate they don't really like that much anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trump will ramble on in every direction no matter what the question, but I think you guys are really overthinking his thought process. Dude's a product of the Northeast and has zero curiosity or brains. He'll say it was slavery, and then enter his typical word salad where he may brag about how he would have won the war so fast or he might just start ranting about how everyone is so uncivil to him now.

If he'd actually spent any real life time outside New York, LA, or South Florida then he might maybe do a little off-key ditty about State's Rights.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They finally accrued enough job experience to qualify for entry level instead of unpaid intern. It's just good business.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jesus III posted:

That was disturbing. The next Dem governor candidate should just run his face with no music for 30 seconds.

That's not how Charlie Christ runs his failure campaigns. Plus, ol' Charisma Bot is term limited out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Asa Hutchinson's gonna ride tomorrow's freak blizzard, that traps everyone but his one supporter in their houses, to victory!

It's crazy that we're where we are right now because of a decades long temper tantrum by the right over Nixon resigning. Everything culminating in elevating Donald loving Trump to god king.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Quadrupling down on Trump is only possible due to using the right wing media sphere to encase Republicans in an alternate reality. All the infrastructure built up to keep a right wing psycho from being forced to face consequences is now preventing the guys who built it, the surviving ones anyway, from excising the cancerous parasite who took over.

It's a deep black kind of comedy that their final success in inoculating their base from reality has resulted in them having to bend the knee to a total clown they always hated. The measured, competent, evil minority rule that they dreamed off has been choked to death by the unhinged, blundering, psychopathic monsters that have taken over their platforms.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Chris Christi just another case of stolen Italian valor?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trump voters dying in the snow on the way to vote for him would probably make him feel better than winning the primary.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lil ronny isn’t dropping out till late in the game because of his fragile ego, it’s gonna be tup.

The current state of things is that every candidate has their own billionaire or group of billionaires who funds them. So regardless of any results, the only thing that can make them drop out is either shame or their sugar daddy pulling the plug. Since Meatball doesn't have any shame in his programing, he's in it until the people behind U-Line shipping and packing pull the plug.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mappo posted:

I think Haley is being massively overrepresented. She is still 13 points behind Trump in NH and she is going to loose hard to him in SC, the state where she was Governor. After that, why would you bother backing a candidate that can't even carry her on state.

Voters don't care about carrying your own state. They care if you win the last primary and if you have some sort of actual path to victory. Winning you own state is something that mattered in the old days when a wide array of rich people were backing candidates. Now it's all sugar daddy billionaires and common man rubes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Trump is gonna hit 60% and cause both Nikki and Rob to drop out overnight lol

Pudding Fingers and Lost Cause won't drop out until their billionaire backers stop writing checks. They're both in it for the Trump stops running Powerball.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Caros posted:

I assume you mean the Trump's heart stops beating Powerball.

Fleeing the country, coma, and sudden brain infraction with a side effect of making him realize he's a piece of poo poo and feels the need to atone, are also technically above zero odds.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's hard to tell at this point how long Haley and DeSantis are going to limp through the primary. Their entire run is predicated on being the one there when Trump magically goes away. I think Ron's billionaire masters are more likely to tell him to wrap it up than Haley's though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bodyholes posted:

I could see Ron running successfully in 2028 because fortunately for him, Republican voters have no long term memory and will completely forget how pathetic he was if he hits the ground running with a retooled campaign and aggressive image next time.

Assuming we're still doing the charade of elections by then, of course.

He doesn't have the charisma to win and will always be dunked on no matter what cycle it is. All of his hype in the media was the result of his people tricking the national media into believing Ron was a political mastermind who did nothing but win. The truth is that he got to where he is by cravenly only running when he would probably win, and barely winning the one actual race he was ever in. Remember that in 2016 he jumped into the Florida Senate race and then fled like a chicken the second Rubio came back.

Young Freud posted:

It's already cracking. Remember that the Moms For Liberty bullshit was wholly-subsidized by DeSantis to export Florida culture war to the rest of the country in advance for DeSantis' candidacy. Turns out their head leadership was caught raping women and/or having threesomes. Another got outed for throwing alcohol parties for underage minors. The whole organization is now facing pushback for their book bans and I'm pretty sure with DeSantis now out, they will collapse.

Also, the state legislature went along with DeSantis' crazy culture war bullshit and COVID denialism because they thought he had a good chance at the White House and wanted to get some juicy positions, especially in the Cabinet. Now that is no longer happening, what good is he?

Ron's going back to Florida weaker, this may as well be a two-year lame duck period for him before he starts collect unemployment.

It's also important to remember that a decent chunk of his power came from the illusion of power that the 2022 race gave him. It can't be overstated enough how much Charlie Crist sucks and how incompetent the Florida Democratic Party who keeps propping him up is. If DeSantis was running against an actual opponent the race would have been much closer than against perennial loser and former Republican Charlie Crist.

Getting absolutely murdered in the 2024 primaries from the second he announced has all but completely destroyed his image of strength. Especially with Trump clearly pissed at him and making GBS threads on him from in-state.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's important to keep in mind that Ron's agenda has not "worked well". It just hasn't overturned more than 2 decades of Republican rule within 3 years. Almost everything that he's done that you know him for, other then being a COVID moron, has taken place between April of 2021(Riot idiocy) and May of 2023(finally jumped in the race). Prior to that, he was a JEB level tolerable evil outside of COVID. The ratfucking of Florida's Felon Voting Amendment wasn't his baby, and he just went along with it. Though maybe you could push his non COVID bullshit 4/5 months if you want for his idiotic raids on felons who voted.

As for his agenda's success, it's been largely a case of passing a hateful thing that gets national press and attention but is then later halted by the courts. His Don't Say Gay poo poo is about the only thing he's done that wasn't stopped or extremely blunted by the courts at first chance. Given the lightning fast speed of our legal system, it will probably only get worse for his agenda. All of it is clearly just a hasty PR job for his run at the White House with no care for whether it sticks or even does anything. It just had to last for 2022 and 2023, while not completely collapsing before November of 2024.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

I heard an NPR segment today interviewing Republicans who will reluctantly pull the lever for Trump even though they say they don't want to. A lot of them, along with plenty of people I run into here in NE FL MAGA County, seem to say that they dislike both parties but Trump is "the only one they can trust" and someone who "looks out for the people" and I just...

I'm not sure where to start with that. Donald Trump doesn't give two shits about anyone but himself and the idea of him being trustworthy is a whole other level of delusion. He really did tap into a large segment of the "both parties bad" populace. And these people aren't wrong to point out that establishment politicians on either side of the aisle have let us down for decades but I'm not sure how they landed on Trump to be the baton carrier for trustworthiness and compassion for the little guy.

Jesus Christ.

A lot of people, especially in the South, are culturally Republican. They don't really have any dogmatic or deeply held political beliefs, and if you talk to them about most things they'll be reasonably agreeable. It's just that they were raised to be Republican, all their family is and virtually everyone they know is one too. So they defend their party and support it, even if they don't like a particular guy. It's their team, so they're going to support their guy.

It's a lot like Christians who never go to church, never read the bible, and at best might say grace before large holiday meals. They'll be more than happy to join you on a wildly ungodly party weekend, as it has absolutely no bearing on anything other than being a checkbox on forms. However it will occasionally and randomly pop up in some performative or weird way that they're absolutely a good Christian.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's not complex. They're racists and they believe Trump will hurt minorities because he has in the past and will continue to.

Please don't minimize the existence of complete loving idiots who vote horrendously without an actively racist motive.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the primary is over, its just the question of "does haley do well enough to keep up the charade/horse race/excuse to keep running" Or "does she get crushed by king dumbass and bend the knee by the 31st". I am weirdly still surprised desantis didnt keep loving that chicken and stay in until florida.

Whether she stays in or not is almost completely up to whether her billionaire(I think she's a Koch project) wants her to keep going, polling and placement be damned. Ron is out because his puppeteers are all of the "Sure would like a competent Trump" variety, and they don't think it's worth it to keep trying to get their Big Mick to take off when they've already got a Big Mac on their plate. Since Haley is the Renfield of the "Never" Trump billionaires, she's free to keep going as long as they want to make a point. Or, like a baby eating a lemon for the first time, she discovers shame.

Citizens United has all but killed the idea of a large base of donors determining whether or not to support the candidate based on their performance. At least on the Republican side. Kind of ironic that Trump is basically the last gasp of the old way.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 23, 2024

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

Nevada switched from a caucus to primary but the GOP got mad and somehow that ended up with them running a primary AND caucus but candidates can only compete in one of them. And Haley picked the primary even though the delegates are determined by the caucus. Presumably her strategy is that it will all be such a confusing mess that a primary win for her will be worth more than being beat by Trump in the caucus. But it’s all very dumb.

I’m sure someone else can explain it better or fix my mistakes.

It's probably the smartest possible move. In 2008 and 2016 it was successful in muddying the gently caress out of the waters in the few states that had both and then had two different winners. Since the GOP is primarily winner takes allish anyway, might as well go for the empty media win.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

C. Everett Koop posted:

They really needed to have the little dude on the right passed out on the ground at that point.

That's a top percentile alcoholic. If it wasn't for the overwhelming smell of raw alcohol wafting off them you might only think they're a little drunk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FizFashizzle posted:

I've been drowning in Haley stuff here in Asheville. She had to have blown out the war chest to try to win her home state.

The idea of home states has been increasingly meaningless for years. The nationalization of everything has only been accelerating since Gore couldn't carry his home state in 2000. This is especially true for someone who last held a state office just as we all were hurled into the darkest timeline. We're over 7 years away from the last time that Nikki Haley was even a South Carolina politician.

There's only a very small handful of politicians who have shown any sort of ability to buck the national trends of their state in the last decade or so, and Nikki Haley was never even within sight of them.

She's still not winning poo poo, and it's probably going to be 60/40 everywhere until team Koch tells her to pack it in. Can't wait to laugh when she takes DeSantis's spot in 2028 as the presumed front runner, only for ol' Donny Trump to run again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Acebuckeye13 posted:

John Nance Gardner, one of FDR's VPs, famously described the position as "Not worth a bucket of warm piss."

It is kind of ironic that the only people who can get the gig of being paid 6 figures a year to quietly twiddle your thumbs in obscurity are exactly the people for whom that would be torture.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I hope you're right but I don't think this is the case. He gained voters in 2020 despite everyone knowing full well what and who he is.

It's hard to tell how much of the increase was people converted to the cult and how much of it was people excitedly waiting to join the cult once it proved it had legs. A decent factor in 2016 was nobody thinking Donny Trump could pull it off, which absolutely kept otherwise excited to be openly racist shitheads at home waiting to see if it was safe to wear the hood as a hat instead of a mask.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Home States aren't really a thing in 2024. Especially if you aren't even a sitting official.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Unless Haley can pick up another billionaire sugar daddy for her campaign she's out then. It will be interesting to see if the Koch crew swallows their pride and funds all the Republicans not named Trump, or if they decide their best bet for a future libertopia is to sit it out and let them burn this cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zwabu posted:

I have no idea how good or bad McDaniel’s stewardship of RNC funds was, but isn’t her sacking basically scapegoating her for the fact that Trump has made the GOP entirely about himself and recent election results reflect the country doesn’t want to buy what he’s selling?

She's being sacked because she didn't hand over as many dollars as Trump's daughter-in-law will. Trump just is unable to hold back from kicking someone who toadied up to him when they are no longer worth abusing.