Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

anonumos posted:

Fireflies, too, though not migrating. I remember fireflies showing up in May and sticking around until August, or something like that. Basically all summer. Now we're lucky to see them for a few nights in June.
I remember whole clouds of lightning bugs every Summer night when I was a kid in the 90's and my recollections can't entirely be rosy tinted trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The service as a subscription model is killing everything, this happened with a company we were buying from for more environmentally friendly washing machine and dishwasher detergents. Why do I need to subscribe to your detergents, why?? Just sell me the detergent when I need more detergent goddamn

Perfect way to make money as a time traveler though, start subscription services. There was absolutely enough technology in the 1890's to start a subscription service for men's shirts, it's just no one was lovely enough to come up with the idea.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

They had fast enough lines of communication and banking facilities that you could have definitely started a subscription service for wine in 1400's Europe

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

anonumos posted:

It makes me sad when emotionless people get an animal that needs affection, play, and careful feeding. They just leave a bucket of slop laying around, shoo the poor thing away when it wants to cuddle, toss it out the door when it soils the carpet, and swear at it when it whines. There are too many emotionally neglected pets, living miserable lives in smoke filled hell holes or chained outside in all weather. Poor things are companion animals. They deserve more.
This sounds like my childhood

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I understand now why I'm always barking at strangers!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's directing you to the side of the school with less traffic

Yeah that's what it sounds like, it directed you around back when everyone had to go to the front and now it's directing you out front when everyone has to go to the back. It doesn't know about the arbitrary rule changes, it's just trying to make your day a little easier.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Armacham posted:

Bridge to Terabithia

This movie will be just like Jumanji right

Still.the most deceptive movie marketing so far

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

All You Can Eat posted:

Sour candies are weak as heck these days. I have a bald spot on my tongue from when I ate three Warheads on a dare in the early 2000s, they were that potent.

Over the years these candies have gotten milder and milder. I bet they toned the intensity down to save costs, maybe also because morons kept burning their tongues by going overboard.

20 years ago I used to walk 2 miles to the dollar store and 2 miles back, uphill both ways, just to get a big sack of Warheads, and I definitely feel like I ate three at once back then.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Boomers always want something on they've always got to have the radio going or the TV or something all the fuckin time it's exhausting

What I chalk it up to is them being Cold War babies and always being a half hour away from a complete nuclear holocaust destroying their entire world: so they always have to be receiving some kind of signal just to let them know the missiles aren't currently incoming

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

erosion posted:

If you have to stay in a hotel, consider bringing lots of drinking water, like a 24 pack or a few gallon bottles.

I stay in lots of hotels, I like to bring a 12 pack of 12 ounce bottles. Also some jerky and some trail mix that's all nuts and dried berries, not any candy. These snacks are filling and shelf stable, which is good because you never know exactly what the fridge situation is going to be. The road to financial ruin is paved with minibars, room service, and bottled water on the desk that costs you $6 the second you break the seal.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

the lady that checked me in at the MGM Grand last week told me not to drink the water on top of the fridge because it's $24 a bottle. this was as busy as it possibly gets right in front of her supervisor, mid day. definitely not there to exploit drunks and kids

Sociologists have run endless simulations with endless test populations, figured out all the numbers, and it turns out $17 is the sweet spot for the in-room bottled water at the MGM Grand. Any more than that, and the essential humanity of the check in lady asserts itself. Any less, and the check in lady thinks to herself "Yeah, gently caress this guy! I can't wait for him to see that he got billed $16 for a bottle of water!!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

"Please scrub the wall sconces with a toothbrush before you leave (you must provide your own)"

"$250 cleaning fee"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah seriously podcasts are very helpful in developing parasocial relationships with Californian strangers whom you will never meet

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Apprentice Dick posted:

Hey, a lot of them also live in Austin now.

Oh yeah my two favorite podcasters just moved, one to Seattle and one to Vancouver.

They're real, and strong, and my friends

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Wawa has been getting steadily shittier for 30 years

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sizzlis are still good. They've still got a fine selection of ice cream and beverages. The cheese stuffed pretzels are good. It's a very convenient place for a lot of different reasons. But the decline in hoagie quality is just sad.

I'd still rather have Wawa than live somewhere without it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cyks posted:

That’s criminal.

I find the seasonal/limited time stuff usually sucks but that’s true for most food places. My girlfriend gives me poo poo for it but I love their tuna salad sandwich.
I bitch about Wawa and then I go visit people far away and I'm like what I don't have access to paninis and a freestyle machine and taco dip at 415 am??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Edit: made a mistake

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

credburn posted:

Oh yeah, turn on your embeds!

I remember being really annoyed with people posting YouTube links without context until someone, er, pointed that out.

This happened to me also!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Virigoth posted:

lol Chipotle is raising their prices again.

They're so loving expensive for nothing. Just nothing. Also I eat Chipotle about once a month.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

teen witch posted:

I don’t get the mentality of making a disgusting mess out of a bathroom and then just leaving it for others to contend with. Especially when it’s among a group of people who could deduce the deuce given some time. Like who loving raised you to be like that?

As someone with bowel issues, I despise all you stall pissing men. Use the drat urinals!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Outrail posted:

Same with THC drinks. Take random soft Dei k, add extract, charge markup. The cost difference between straight and hard drinks is effectively negligible.

I know someone who's always looking for the latest hustle and he was telling me about his stupid new idea for a thc seltzer so thanks for letting me know why.

Still better than the cool stickers he was trying to sell, at least it messes you up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

What the gently caress is going on with potato chips lately? Like, the last three bags I’ve bought have been decimated crumbs and broken rear end chips with maybe two full chips out of the bag.

You want good chips come to PA, the spiritual home of tater chips

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I switched to the Goon Recommended Way of making popcorn once chips got dumb expensive

I figured out how to make decent popcorn: buy a non-lovely microwave with a humidity sensor so the popcorn button actually does something

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Wait so there's a "this new generation doesn't know anything about how cars work" but for computers?? Awful, absolutely awful. Everyone just repeats the complaints of their forbears, eh? I'm surprised no one's complaining about Eternal September.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

I do this frequently.

30 year anniversary btw

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

E: nope

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 26, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I stayed in a vacation rental, huge house, almost the whole place tied into this sound system with speakers in every room and all these niches in the walls where you could plug in your ipod

Just your original ipod from the early 2000's. Not anything else. So mostly fuckin useless

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Wait, we're talking the iPod connector, right? Effectively, iPod docks were embedded in all the walls. That's fantastic.

Yes even if there is a connecting cable it doesn't abnegate the fact that there was a purpose built niche in every room designed only for the first Gen ipod

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you want some depressing reading, this guy is cataloguing the relentless pace of shrinkflation right here -- with lots of pictures!

https://www.mouseprint.org/category/downsiz/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cars reached their apogee in like 2009 where they had all the modern safety features and ease of use but they didn't have touch screen entertainment systems, just bluetooth and an aux port

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

Clothing quality in general has been on a downward trend for a while, but it has absolutely nosedived in the past 3 years or so. Lots of really lovely synthetic blends or full synthetic fabrics, and everything is so much thinner. It really stood out to me when I went to a Nordstrom Rack recently, it was piles of awful plasticy shirts and pants. Yes it's a clearance/discount store that isn't going to be top quality to begin with, yes synthetics are not always inherently bad, but this was just egregiously awful stuff. The difference in merchandise compared to only a few years ago was stark.

I'm finding myself moving towards niche/boutique brands and even made to measure stuff, and it's a real pain in the rear end.

I bought a.Big Dog hoodie this year and it's soft and thick and comfortable and wonderful

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

ok thank you for the perspectives but I think we should leave the discussion of the various types and degrees of slavery behind and go back to bitching about dumb poo poo

George Washington's beloved chef was a slave and he freed himself, aka ran off. He was famous as gently caress and made amazing food. But he traded that for a life in free obscurity. After he was gone a foreign visitor at Mt Vernon tried to engage his young daughter in conversation, "Don't you miss your daddy??" And her response, the response of a kid less than 10 years of age, was essentially "No, I'm glad my Dad freed himself, and gently caress you."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This thread actively gets shittier anytime anyone brings up anything that involves computers or any kind of technology. However, that's where most of the posts come from. You guys just have so much to say about operating systems, programming languages, applications, displays, video game systems, subscription services, computer hardware, and on and on and on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

StormDrain posted:

All middle age folks want is one thing, the little cart at hr grocery store.

I've been to some groceries where the competition for those little carts is FIERCE

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Frankly the people who think that infinite entertainment for :10bux: a month is remotely sustainable remind me of this:

The whole entertainment and tech industries are built on hyper-exploitation of artists, the Global South, and the natural world and a society that needs 8 hours of "media" per person per day to distract them from the fact nobody has a social life anymore is a garbage hellhole that cannot collapse fast enough.
There's this certain type of person that wants every device and everything in the world to be a white or metal box with a screen on it that does magic stuff and fixes complicated problems simply with magic.

I hate all of them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Avoiding automatic tolls, speed cameras, and red light cameras is a good thing, actually. Not because aggressive driving is awesome but because it's wrong to put our administration of justice into the hands of machines. If I make a bad left turn just a little too late and I'm pulled over, charged, get a chance at my day in court, that's alright. An automatic camera sending data to a system that charges me fines is bullshit.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Biplane posted:

No Machine May Judge Me

Yeah, basically. I want less enshitifying automation everywhere. I don't want to talk to a customer service chatbot, I don't want algorithms to guide the shape of my life, and I don't want cameras run by a horrible private company to decide when I've been a bad boy. You guys are just espousing "only criminals would be afraid of the police!" type sentiments because you hate cars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

The last time I ever saw live music was Streetlight Manifesto and the entire crowd was preteens wearing power ranger costumes

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It may happen eventually, but not for the general public. The store will only be for subscribers, members, etc.