Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Oh yeah, Webp files! Which places like imgur refuse to allow upload of years after they started showing up.

I hate that my phone will happily download a webp file...it will let me see it in my Downloads folder if I open that directly...it even shows me PREVIEWS of the Webp files when I go to select an image to share to someone in Google Voice or other chat app.

Only when I click on the file and then hit "Send" will it tell me the file type is unsupported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vampire Panties posted:

I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago and never looked back, but with of the enshittification of online marketplace sites, I was sorta forced to recreate a Facebook account so I can browse Facebook Marketplace. If you're trying to buy an inexpensive used car, there really isnt anything better than loving Facebook.

Yup. Craigslist is just pure garbage. Not so much the site itself...it was extremely barebones in 2002, and it remains the same today. That's fine. But the content is pure crap, I never see anything of value posted there. I swear, it is some sort of actual time tunnel to 60 year old dudes in 2005 trying to sell their "vintage" crap.

I've tried LetGo or whatever those mobile-based "local used sell/buy/swap" apps, but it seems almost no one near me is using them.

So FB Marketplace it is. But man...part of it is the design of the webpage and it's refusal to work remotely correctly on mobile. Probably so it can force me to get the FB app? But not a chance in Hell. But the search categories, filters, etc... just never work. A good 3/4 of the time I try to turn a category on, I get a "no results in your area" message.

And then the content is some good, but plenty of bad. Filtering by price for, say, a car is pointless because even if you set a lower limit of like $500 to filter out everyone who puts $0 as a price, there are just far too many people who put like $1245 or $2345 as a price. I'm only trying to find a roughly $2-5k used car for my GF. And that's not even getting into the outright scam/fake ones, etc.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Dog poo doesn't turn completely white when dry anymore

It's cause society decided to be a LITTLE nicer to dogs and feed them better, so dog food manufacturers* don't just stuff dog food with like 80% bone meal as nearly nutrition-less filler anymore.

*Well, maybe the Wal-Mart Old Roy brand still does...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God drat. My main bank's online portal updated and it's so much worse. Clearly designed JUST to be more readable on mobile/tablet (despite having a perfectly usable app...and it being absurdly easy to detect if someone is on mobile/tablet and just adjust the page accordingly.)

1) The main page has no "account summary" like it used to. I could see the three or four most recent transactions to my checking account and credit card on the one page without having to go to the main transactions page for each account. So it's another click to see those, and I can never see info from more than one account at once.

2) The main "transactions" page now is like 3x the font size, ONE column that is just the transaction (it used to be like 2/3 columns? Like a left-nav column, the transactions in the middle, and I think the right column was just ads for other bank services.) So now to nav to another area if I'm scrolling down in my transactions list, I have to scroll all the way back up rather than use the persistent left-hand nav (and now since it shows like 1/3 the total amount of transactions because of the increased font and cell size, it's a lot more scrolling.)

Edit: This is what you see when you first go to the transactions page...a whopping TWO are seen before you have to scroll:

And the most you can ever see at once is six...it would be seven if I maximized the window:

Second edit: Oh, and while it's more secure, it now required a two-factor login every time. I used to be able to "remember" a given browser and for at least a week or so I wouldn't have to keep doing the 2FA to login.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 28, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

redshirt posted:

I've been told they don't make 2x4's like they used to.

They really don't, but then again, I don't know if we want them to? Lumber made from old-growth forests is definitely denser/stronger, but it's probably overall for the best that modern lumber is from managed forests grown specifically to just be cut down a couple decades later.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

The Clip is still in production, but I can't vouch for whether or not they made the new ones suck.

I have an old one with Rockbox firmware that I still use for listening to audiobooks in bed. I have no idea how the battery still holds a charge, but it does.

Edit: this right here, the MuVo, was the pinnacle of MP3 player design. No cables needed, just slide the halves apart and plug it in like a flash drive. No dumb software needed to add music, just copy and paste. No internal battery to poo poo the bed, it runs for ~20 hours on a rechargeable AAA.

What's the red part for?

Like...it looks like all the "brains", controls, and even the headphone jack are on the removable grey part.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Paint.NET is still good, and free. Download that.

Although speaking of Paint.NET, MS Paint, and Windows Search, it doesn't matter how much I open Paint.NET, or pick that from the option when I do a Windows search, it will ALWAYS put MS Paint at the top of the results list.

Edit: Oh, but don't just type in paint.net in your browser bar, because it will try to go to the website "www.paint.net" (seems to just be a parked domain for sale by GoDaddy*), you have to go directly TO google and type in paint.net in the search bar to get the paint.net download page.

*I'm not sure WHY the Paint.NET people don't try to buy that domain, but I assume GoDaddy is selling it for too much.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 6, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

redshirt posted:

Believe it or not, HP Printers used to be rock solid and a great choice, though more expensive. That ended quite some time ago though.

If you're getting a consumer grade printer for your own use, get a Brother laser. Rock solid. I got one like ten years ago for just over a $100, and it still works just fine, and it can even do simple scans and photocopies.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Are you saying we need to bring back radio...on the internet?!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

meanwhile literally every time i open something from google drive everything about the interface has gotten slightly worse somehow

Remember a free years ago when, for no reason, they stopped calling out Google Drive, made you download a new and shittier app called "Google Sync" , and then reverted back to Google Drive and you had to download the new OLD app?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I feel like just a few years ago, you could pretty easily find popular scenes of a lot of TV shows and movies on Youtube or maybe Daily Motion if you had to resort to that.

But now, it seems like a lot of studios have been a LOT more serious about DMCA takedowns and scouring those places, so I'll try to Google for a scene and I'll get unrelated ones, or, worst of all...that God-awful loving "GetYarn" site that, seemingly, has almost entire episodes of TV shows on one to two second clips at a time. So their tagging/SEO will make it look like the given clip you're loading is the entire scene...but it's like part 1 of 20 for that scene because of how short all the clips are. And they DOMINATE all the video searches now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

Gmail's spam filter has allowed more obvious scam emails into my inbox in the past year than the previous 12 years combined.

Oh yeah. The latest one I've seen, that's hit my inbox (PRIMARY folder, no less, not even shunted to the updates or promotional folders/labels) are scams claiming to be from Lowes' Home Depot, or Harbor Freight wanting me to do a survey to win some product. I distinctly remember the fake Lowes' ones claimed I'd get a Yeti cooler backpack.

And it wasn't, like, one or two that got through. It was a weird surge where for a week or two, I'd get multiple emails DAILY to "take a survey to claim my prize" or something. Every time I hit the button in Gmail to flag it, but still got more...I did searching, and LOTS of people in various forums or the google help boards were literally complaining about the EXACT. SAME. EMAILS. Then after a week or two, they'd finally stop...only to appear again a couple months later for another week or two.

I think so far it's happened three times and each time it was from a different one of those three hardware/tool stores. I expect the next batch will be fake ones from Tractor Supply, Co or like Acme Tools?

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of things that are probably pandemic adjacent, people don't really say bless you or gesundheit or even a silly joke when you sneeze anymore. Just complete dead silence. It sucks.

Or the exact opposite, where a single sneeze or cough has someone making a COVID "joke".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The traffic around my city has gotten shittier.

10 years ago, visiting some family was about a 3, 3.5 hour drive. Now it's 4 hours minimum, and the deadlock always happens in the same spot.

Don't worry, politicians have been furiously pushing the "just build more lanes!" button.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

bus hustler posted:

There are still stores like that, Ollie's and in the northeast Ocean State Job Lot still get like... bins of random poo poo that they only have once.

Man, I have a weird love of Ocean State Job Lot.

I also have no idea what that name means. I know Ocean State is Rhode Island, so I assume the store started there...but the gently caress is a "Job Lot"?

But yeah, there's none near me, but typically once or twice a year I'll end up on a vacation/road trip through parts of New England that does have one.

However, "two towns over" from me is a store called Vermont Discount Store. It's the kind of name Ron Swanson would give a store.

But it's a standard liquidation outlet, so no promises on anything they might have in stock at a given time. Sometimes it's slightly damaged goods, other times it's slightly "expired" food or medicine*, and maybe even seasonally packaged items (like cereal with Christmas stuff on it) once that season is over.

*There's also LOTS of little signs/notes throughout the store letting you know expiration dates are mostly meaningless, so don't worry about them. Which is mostly true for a lot of dry and canned goods.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

T-Shirts all suck now. I know I've put on weight, but this isn't about my misguided attempts to still try and fit into a large shirt when I almost certainly need an XL and then getting mad it doesn't fit around the middle. No, this is about the sleeves.

It seems like ~10 years ago, all the t-shirt manufacturers got together and decided to make the sleeves REALLY short. Like, it doesn't matter if you get a M, L, or XL...the sleeves are all going to be the same length, and that length is "your armpit hair pokes out if you raise your arms."

WTF? I don't want ones that go to my elbow, or anything, but it seems any new shirt I buy, the sleeves are just too drat short (especially the inner seem , so you get shirts where the hem line is at a very odd angle.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Silhouette posted:

it's not 1992 any more grampa, short sleeves are supposed to end at mid-bicep when your arms are relaxed, not hit your elbow and billow out like Doug Funnie

Did you miss where I said that's not what I want? I just want them a little longer. They don't even go mid-bicep, they're like..1/4 of the way down my bicep of my freakishly long gorilla arms.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Like...two years ago? More? Less? Google finally killed Hangouts after threatening it for years.

Hangouts ruled, at least the UI. I used the Chrome plugin for texting from my desktop, and it was great. You could just drag+drop or copy+paste images inline to send to people.

The Google Voice web interface (there's two, one that's built into Gmail and a separate GV-only web portal) and they both suck. They can't do copy+paste or drag+drop of images. You have to right click, save, then go to the file uploader. It's so much slower. It's actually quicker for me to right-click, send it to Pushbullet, then go into GV on my phone and GV usually sees the image that Pushbullet synced and I can send it from there.

But I said usually. Sometimes, the GV image picker on my phone justdoesn't see some images. They're in the same folder as other images it CAN see, and it's a JPG or L:NG, not accidentally a Web, file (gross), but just doesn't see it. And GV has no option to browse the entirety of my phone's storage to send a file, even though almost every other app on my phone can.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

redshirt posted:

I'm sorry about your lack of rain. Here we've gotten so much extra rain everything is mud and wet and I've never seen it so wet in over 10 years. Wish I could send you some extra wetness.

Same. Wettest July ever here. The flooding impact was the greatest since 1927, and the only reason that impact was so great THEN was because the complete lack of any sort of modern flood control/infrastructure.
https://www.weather.gov/btv/The-Gre...ne%20in%202011.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

if you open your car by any means other than a physical key, the car companies are laughing at you.

Does the remote unlock fob count as they key? Mine is built INTO the actual key, if that helps?

My car also still needs an actual physical, metal key inserted and turned to start, no push-button. It's a 2019, so surprised it ISN'T just an RFID (or whatever they are) fob. I'm guessing it'll be the last (new/newish) car I own that still uses one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

credburn posted:

What does this mean? This is the second time I've seen this.

It doesn't MEAN anything. That's the beauty of it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

anonumos posted:

AdBlockers got worse in the 2010s. Every single one that i once trusted got Google Chromed.

AFAIK, Ublock Origin is still good, but who knows with the rumors I've heard of how Chrome will change how it deals with ads/ad-blockers, but I think Firefox will still work with it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There was a time when you could be pretty sure any on-screen keyboard would be QWERTY, and maybe failing that, it would be alphabetical; but at least still in a grid format to easily go between the letters.

Now, too many things are a single alphanumeric row...often with NO wrap-around.

"Oh, you need a Y and then an A? Ha, have fun!"

And then you try to hold the arrow key to have it scroll the whole way back to be quicker, and one of three things will happen:
1) It doesn't work and you have to hit the arrow key once for every letter you want to go back.
2)It works, but is actually TOO fast, and blitzes past the letter you needed.
3) It works, but there's so much of an initial delay from when you first hold it down to when it finally starts moving, that you're pretty drat sure hitting the button for each letter would be faster.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 11, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ugh, you're all reminding me I need to go to the dentist, I haven't been in almost two years. My company was bought out, and our dental insurance changed and it's not accepted at my old dentist; who I actually liked. As far as I could tell, no big upsells on anything.

It's a local dentist, not any big chain like Aspen or Sage (wait...why are they all plant/tree named? Even my old dentist was called Timberlane...curious) but now I have to either just go and pay for things out of pocket, or try to find one in the area that does accept my insurance. I guess cleanings without insurance aren't usually TOO pricey, right? At least not if I don't get X-rays?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Riatsala posted:

Love that my windows install at work has a taskbar icon that ostensibly shows me the weather but actually just aggregates a ton of news stories specifically designed to make boomers mad. So glad my aging coworkers have an alternative rage machine that isn't blocked on the work network! It's just a million articles titled 'Boomers got everything wrong - and these unemployed queers are ANGRY' or 'New law will give homeless minorities YOUR home'

You should be able to turn that off:

Right click the Taskbar, select News and Interests, then Turn Off:

I am 99% sure you don't need any sort of local admin permissions. Even the lowest-level user should be able to turn that off on their profile.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

do you think boomers will do that tho

No, but Riatsala can at least turn it off for himself, and then maybe try to sneak around the office and turn it off for any Boomer that leaves their PC unlocked, which in my experience is most of them.

There is also a Group Policy setting that can disable it, so if you're chummy with anyone in IT you can ask them to try and push it through:
https://www.prajwaldesai.com/disabl...ests%20feature.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Outrail posted:

Imgur loving sucks. Give me the goddamn jpg url don't make me click a hundred buttons and gently caress about with editing the url every time. You're an image hosting service, know your place.

They're desperate attempt at trying to be some kind of actual social media site is killing it.

You can't upload images to it on mobile without the app, AFAIK. I even tried clicking the "Use Desktop Site" option in Chrome mobile, and it worked until the actual upload then it failed.

This is the bananas workaround I use:
The Awful App. It has a direct "Imgur" upload button, so make a post you never intend to post, use that to upload the image, then copy the actual Imgur link and paste it where you need it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

The Apple Remote brings a touchscreen-like control that works with this. (Should it be necessary and should UX be designed like this? No.)

I hate the Apple Remote*.

Modal Auxiliary posted some gripes about it, but I got more:

They already said ergonomics, but the ergonomics of the Apple Remote are so bad it needs to be said twice. In the dark, there's no way to know which way is "up." So you think you're trying to hit the touchpad, but it doesn't work. Or you want to hit the volume button, but it's the menu button, or something. We put a little "remote condom" on ours so it's easier to tell.

The touchpad is also way too sensitive. You want to scroll one letter to search (and, as I said before, search on Apple TV is a single fuckin' row of letters with NO wrap-around) but you always go past what you need. Then you finally get to the letter you want, so you push down to select it...but oh, so sorry, in the act of pushing down you slightly moved your finger, so the cursor moved and selected a different letter. The same goes for selecting shows from the main steaming page.

There's two buttons that are basically "who the gently caress knows what this will do." One says Menu, the other is a picture of a TV. In my experience, BOTH tend to just take you "back" to where you were, though more often than not the TV button goes FURTHER back. It depends on the app/streaming service, but I've noticed in Hulu it usually goes all the way back to the main Apple TV menu (which, personally, I would think the MENU button would do.) But sometimes both buttons only go one "level" back, so you're in a show, it wither button and you're at the main page for that show, hut it again you're at hte main page for the streaming app you're using, and a third time to go back to the Apple TV menu.

Long pressing menu brings up a menu, at least...or I THINK it does? But there's also a "Settings" app on the main Apple TV page that actually has most settings you want, not the settings in the menu long-press, so don't bother. Also, long-pressing the TV button also brings up it's own menu, and that's the one that has things like restart and off for some reason.

I'm 90% sure it was all on purpose to get people to use voice search more, but I refuse. gently caress your voice search.

*It seems the newest generation of Apple Remote (I guess now called the Siri remote) might have fixed some of these issues. I'm looking at pictures, and it seems, at least from the outset, it is a lot easier to know which end is which and have less accidental touch presses, and the weird "menu" button seems to be replaced with a dedicated "back" button:

Edit: Oh wow, but the moved the Play/Pause button to where the old Voice Search button was, and the old Play/Pause button location is now mute. Why would they do that?! In addition to just confusing people used to the old one, having one of the most used button (play/pause) be easy to find on the BOTTON is much better from a usability standpoint.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 17, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Outrail posted:

Are we just adding whatever bullshit fees we want now? Can I charge stores a payment fee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCT3jm1A-5U

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah as someone who does desktop support, the biggest failure item I've seen on laptops, other than batteries, are the USB-C ports. Like was mentioned above, the cables from docks are thicker, so less flexible, but you'd better believe people will cram those cords up against their cubicle walls and the stress will break the cable, if you're lucky*, the USB-C port if you're not.

*Not THAT much luckier, since even though Dell made it so you CAN replace the USB-C cable on the WD15 or WD19 docks, they don't actually SELL those parts directly, anymore. At least not as far as I can tell. They even seemed to stop selling the "WD19TB upgrade kit" which could accomplish the same goal if you have a broke USB C cable, albeit at a higher price (or same price if you already HAD TB versions of the dock.)

So there's more stuff that's shittier. It's one thing to just NOT make parts user replaceable, but I feel like it's a bit shittier to make them use replaceable, in theory, but then just never actually sell the replacement parts.

V V V I'm just talking about the USC cable from the dock, it's already designed to come off and get replaced, they just stopped making/selling the parts V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 23, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Because microsoft like 99.99% of all tech companies have no god drat idea how to name things.

Just pick a naming system and stick to it drat it!!!! No one cares if it's garbage just let us know which one comes after which one!!!

The number of iterations that are all almost exactly the same but slightly different for no reason (other than I assume some middle manager wanting to take credit for doing something) that Microsoft Configuration Manager/Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manger/SCCM/you get the idea has gone through is insane.

Edit: Just looked a t the current version I have installed, and it is currently listed as "Configuration Manager Console." Check with me in 6 months, it will have changed again by then.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

And you either have to deal with horrible customizations on top of already imperfect Android or pay the Apple tax with all the associated drawbacks.

Get a Pixel. I mean...still no 3.5mm jack (boo hoo, it comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, stop whining) but it's pure Android, no UI skinning/un-installable vendor/3rd party apps like a Samsung or any phone from Verizon or whatever.

https://stackdiary.com/critical-vulnerability-in-webp-codec-cve-2023-4863/

quote:

Critical WebP bug: many apps, not just browsers, under threat
The heap buffer overflow (CVE-2023-4863) vulnerability in the WebP Codec is being actively exploited in the wild.

Adding more reasons to hate WebP!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Went to Peter Piper Pizza (and I’m sure this applies to other pizza chains with big birthday party vibes) to celebrate my nephew’s birthday and all the games were just bullshit trick, chance, and skill games to win tickets (which are now on a tap card that also doubles for tokens). I mean, the latter is easier than physical tokens and tickets,

I miss physical tickets because I felt like a genius when I was...idk, 12 or 13 and wondered if I could put basically ANY of those admission/raffle-style tickets into the automated ticket counters that scanned them and spat out a receipt with the amount. Turns out for the arcade I went to...yes! (I looked up just now and it does depends on the machine. Some can be configured to only scan tickets with certain barcodes/other info on them, but some just accept any ticket you shove in there.)

Granted, for most kids, that's useless info, because where are you going to get a roll of those tickets? Well, for reasons too tedious to get into here...there was a big roll of those in my house for, like, two years. My dad had them leftover from running a raffle thingy for some organization. But those rolls hold a smaller amount of tickets than you expect. I just looked, and it seems most new rolls now have like 2000 tickets, and this was a used roll, so it was only a few hundred tickets I got from it.

Granted, free tickets is free tickets, but a few hundred extra still don't get you much.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

anonumos posted:

I remember hearing about a major bank, I think BoA, who began charging a random % of their customers a $1 fee, figuring some would ignore it and some would dispute it. They made bank.

Well don't worry, I'm sure whatever fine was levied against them was less than the profit they made, so there's nothing to stop them, or any bank, from pulling similar poo poo in the future! :haw:

:smith:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 26, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Remulak posted:

she could just be a nut.

She's crazy in the coconut!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ghost emoji posted:

Using a work computer for anything is a pain when I can't install an adblocker. It really is an entirely different internet. I don't know how people get anything done.

We're also locked into whichever version of Windows it is that shows a bunch of news stories every time you click on the taskbar. Not only does it take up like half of the monitor, it's the most inflammatory boomer ragebait you ever did see. I think the same page is the default home page for the browser as well.

I would switch back to Windows for personal use if the OS still looked like it did back in the Vista/7 era. I like a good drop down menu with some text. But everything in modern Windows is massive brightly colored squares with unlabeled emojis.

1 ) Are the browsers so locked down you can't install ANY extensions? Even on my work PC I didn't need any admin access to get uBlock Origins installed

2) I'm 99%sure you can turn those news things off. Right click the Taskbar, go to News and Interest -> Turn Off:

In 11 I think it's a bit different, but close. Right-click the taskbar -> Taskbar settings, turn widgets off.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Seconded. We don't get admin access on our workstations but I was still able to install the uBlock Origins extension for Edge. Thank god for that. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to make opening a new tab not show me a wall of Facebook style boomer rage bait. Or is that just how news articles are written now?

Yeah, that stuff.

It MIGHT be forced on you by your organization through GPO, but you might be able to change it:

In Edge, click the three dots, go to settings, then in the left nav go to "Start, home, and new tabs" and just change it:

That part might be forced, but even if you HAVE to have the "New Tab" page is the thing that, by default in Edge, will have the click-bait Boomer rage poo poo, you can also just click the gear on that home page itself and turn off content:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

FYI, Patreon just released an update and, surprise, it's poo poo!

No more pure chronological feeds. It's all group by the creator you follow, so you have to scroll through a bunch from Creator A before you get to any from Creator B, even if A hasn't updated recently but B has.

And the logo is butt:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

teen witch posted:

While I find gmail to be a bit…I don’t know, persnickety at times, at least I can perform the most basic task without needing to download a fix.

I can't. My gmail search is absolute trash. I thought I posted about it here but it was in a PYF thread, so here's my rant again:

I tried to find my most recent electric bill , and this is what I got:

Because the first result (again, why it's the electric statement from July and not September, IDK) had the word "Burlington", I guess it figures I want to ALSO get results for that, so I get a generic email from the Burlington DPW about an issue with their online portal.
And then another electric statement...from May.

*Oh, maybe it's my fault for not typing out the whole word 'electric'? Ok, let's do that and see what we get:

Ok, we don't have that random DPW result anymore, and I get three electric statements, all of them being too old/not the most recent, and then two emails about my recent visits to an Urgent Care. I can assure you, nothing about my visits were related to "Electricity", and the urgent care is not in Burlington. Like...why in God's name are those in the search results at all?!

If I add more filters it finds things better, (I did find it by setting the time filter to just a month) but why should I have to do that? The word "Electric" should really only give me emails with the word "electric" in them, and if I'm only using that one word in the global search, it should prioritize that word appearing in the subject line, and show them to me reverse chronologically/most recent first.

Here's another example. I ordered some online art from a popular Marvel artist (at least for Marvel Snap), Dan Hipp. It hadn't arrived in a while (I did eventually get it) so I was looking for the order confirm. email to see if it had estimated dates or anything. Here's the result just searching for Hipp":

All I have is a shipment notice (And that's from Oct 6, I was originally searching before Oct 6 and so NO results came up.)

So I did more poking and looking, and this is what I have to search for to find my original order confirmation email:

Has to be MRHIPP. Not just "Hipp".

Again, that is a God-awful search algorithm if it can't find something from "MRHIPP" when I search for just "hipp."

"Oh, DrBouvenstein you dumbass, you need a wildcard in there!"

Yeah, nope. Just as lovely.

Doing some searching now and it seems Gmail doesn't use regex/wildcard operators, and doesn't do partial string match. It SEEMS it's always been this way, but I SWEAR I used to search for partial strings/"close enough" stuff and it found the emails I was looking for. Maybe I'm wrong?

Either way, I can't begin to fathom why it's like this. A company initially built on how good it's web-search was has email searching worse than Outlook 98?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

evobatman posted:

Microsoft gets the money for Windows when computer makers installs it on the computers, or when businesses buy cloud licenses for their employees. Since MS have already gotten their money long before the end user gets their hands on Windows, they have no reason not to turn Windows into an ad-filled data-sucking hell hole. The few people who build their own computers and actually pay for their own operating system are so few that they don't even register financially, and can go gently caress themselves according to MS.

This has been making the rounds lately https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/linux/install because Linux is no longer a threat, as Microsoft has completely decoupled OS sales and OS installs.

Something I'm curious about...does Microsoft essentially get paid twice for a Windows license if a company just immediately wipes a laptop (that all come with an embedded windows pro license in the BIOS) and installs an Enterprise license?
That's what we do at my company, some through Intune enrollment and some still just with Endpoint Manager.

I know the manufacturer licenses that Dell, HP, etc... Buy are definitely cheaper than you or I buying a one-time license , but they still have to pay SOMETHING to MS, and so do large corporations that use Enterprise licensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That sucks, I've never seen a price disparity between the regular and "club" price so big before.

Out of the three grocery store chains near me (Price Chopper/Market 32, Shaw's, and Hannaford) the first two have the "Price Club"/member price thing, but it's free to join, just accept that you'll be feeding "The Beast" with your grocery data and whatnot.

Hannaford must be one of the last holdouts to just do "no memberships, everyone pays the same price." I mean...they HAVE a membership thingy, but it's just for the occasional targeted coupon book mailed to you or something.