Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Skype still exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

At my Costco the self check out is just a lovely crowded regular checkout

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

credburn posted:

Your Costco has a self-checkout? That sounds horrible. How does that even work? Doesn't one go to Costco to buy hundreds of things at a time?

It worked so well that they just station employees there to scan all your stuff for you!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Cerekk posted:

On topic for both threads is that Costco got rid of the diced onions for the $1.50 hot dogs

You just have to ask at mine

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Every produce item is a banana

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Laserface posted:

The hentai car thing is a legit Japanese sub culture

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itasha

The cringe is the point.

This one is kind of funny if you're a guitar player

https://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/mikustomp/

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Tarkus posted:

It's always been a thing and was worse 20 years ago since so many people smoked. You're just noticing it more for whatever reason.

Everyone vapes now, so it's probably that

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Why would anybody not have done this already in 2023? Do you people also go around sucking on doorknobs?

I don’t think I’ve sat through a full commercial in at least 10 years. It’s so bizarre and disturbing now when I do see an ad that I have to turn my eyes away and mute it until it’s over.

My wife and her family love to watch live sports. They repeat the same 6 commercials over and over again all day. I have to leave the room or the house to do something else after about 20 minutes.

Also nhl just did this last year lol
https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-fans-are-already-fed-up-with-the-new-digital-board-ads-153359581.html

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

- LG MammyTech, which renders everyone in vaudeville era blackface makeup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcY_jsWbE4

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Triikan posted:

The secret to not bagging your own groceries is ordering your groceries for pickup. They even bring it out to your car for you!

Unless somebody explains why this is somehow lovely, I can see a future where you're not even allowed in the store at all.

They usually give you the lovely produce and substitutions can be annoying, but other than that it's great.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

While they're lower maintenance, the love you get in return will be utter poo poo if you don't interact much with your cat. That's how people get the notion that cats are cold, aloof bastards - and if you let your cat outside, your cat will simply become someone else's cat.

We have a lot of cats wandering on the streets here in a residential area. Multiple cats are trying to become ours, because even though we don't let them inside our home, we acknowledge their existence and give them a few pets and kind words. In return, one of them has become the security guard to my motorcycle. He sits on it all the time, and it hasn't been stolen yet so he's doing a great job.

Shockingly that's apparently already more than the actual owners do with them because they just continue hanging around our house instead of going to their own home. Even if there's no hedgehog feed they can steal.

Meanwhile my kitty is as loyal as a dog. She sits next to me, cuddled up against me on the sofa every night without exception. If i'm not sitting there, she'll bother me until i sit down for a few cuddles with her. If she's in my bedroom and i want her to go down, i say 'downstairs' and she'll either get up from my desk chair and walk downstairs, or hide under my bed if she's not feeling like going to bed yet. Cats can definitely understand commands as part of a routine, but they don't always care about your stupid commands if they wanna have more late night snuggles.
People are always amazed by how friendly and social my cats are.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

wash bucket posted:

... can I ask why you're still using Google Maps to get to a school you've been going to for over a year?

Traffic and road closure information

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

GolfHole posted:

ahh just like tv.

at what point do people who willingly go into advertising get treated for the scumsucking human poo poo that they really are?

Yeah anyone in marketing or advertising should just jump off a cliff into a volcano

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

Oh no this is called server side ad insertion and they inject the ad directly into the stream.

I can remember ads on VHS tapes as early at the 80s and they were getting pretty crazy with it sometimes at the end of the DVD era. If you had a compliant DVD player it wouldn’t let you skip them either.

Core memory unlocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Bu51Bwdwo

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia

This movie will be just like Jumanji right

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Old people must love 2FA

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Those freestyle machines are like half the reason I even bother going to the movie theater ever at all anymore

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

One of my favorites in that vein was yahoo and tumblr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uIrAN4JneY

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

For the record I have a Pixel... 2, I think? I don't know how old it is, it's positively ancient as far as modern phone standards go, and I'm extremely happy with it. Unless I hear (from this thread, probably, lol) that the newer ones are poo poo I'll probably be getting another one when this one eventually craps out. Pretty sure it came with the adapter, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't anymore because most people probably don't need it anymore, but they're cheap as hell at Best Buy and probably every store that sells phone crap. I refuse to get on wireless headphones. One more stupid thing to lose its charge, then lose its ability to keep a charge so you have to get new ones, but more importantly I would absolutely lose an earbud loving immediately.

They kinda suck now, but still better than most other phones.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah the SMD part loving sucks

I hate SMD so loving much.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Extra row of tits posted:

Books.

Books are terrible now. Every book by a well know author is subpar garbage that would slip by completely unremarked if it didn’t have a famous name attached or is some goofy one off piece of poo poo with a designed-solely-to-be-noticed-on-the-shelf name “It’s Shelly Gibsons 30th birthday and my thighs are fat” by 30 year old barely talented hack who will be gone in a year.

Just stick to 90s star wars EU books.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Here's the price list for the lazy

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Wtf is a romance kit? Condoms and lube?

Sometimes one of those cheapo vibrators, breath mints, personal wipes...

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Today I tried to use an American Express gift card (prepaid debit) I've had laying around for a while. I found out pretty quickly that online stores basically won't touch it, and some brick and mortar places might not either! Neato!

Use it to add money to your Amazon account. That's what I do with all of those things now.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

You can't do it with these anymore as of just a few months ago, lol

Just tried to set one up; they only take Visa & Mastercard. Thanks anyway!

Lmao well there goes that life hack

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I just get ads for extra large condoms for my magnum dong

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I guess Far Cry 7 will have a 24 hour countdown to complete the game, which I’m salty about. Who wants to have a “Time left to have fun” component to a game?

This is why Pikmin 2 was much better than Pikmin 1.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Majora’s Mask :colbert:

That's different because it followed groundhog Day rules

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Watching TV in hotel rooms. You used to have all those cable channels, maybe HBO. Now every hotel has lovely digital cable or dish TV shared among all 300 rooms. You can't channel surf like you used to be able to so commercials are even more annoying.

If you are lucky, maybe you can use your existing logins to stream something or cast on your phone but good luck streaming anything on the lovely hotel Wi-Fi connected to the authentic Sorny Magnetbox Smart TV.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I'm sitting in a hotel room right now. The TV is actually a Phillips smart TV but they locked out the network settings, which would be fine if it was actually connected to the network.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

In 2016 Trump was elected and the Cubs won the world series. I don't think this is a coincidence

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

teen witch posted:

I work with images as a major part of my job and the day PowerPoint dies I am going to get so loving lit.

There is a contingent of people who believe that pptx is a graphics file format and that it simply better to embed tifs into a PowerPoint than to send me the actual files themselves. Our specs specifically state what formats to not send. And yet, 500mb pptx files.

Do I look like I know what a jpeg is?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Because it's incentivized by manufacturers. Apple, for example, spent decades restricting their consumers' ability to perform maintenance and repairs on their own products, and only after a number of lawsuits (both class-action and individual) have they begun to back down a bit. Tesla, Johnson & Johnson, AT&T, Lilly Inc., T-Mobile, Medtronic, Caterpillar, John Deere, General Electric, Philips, and eBay, on the other hand, have spent a combined $10 trillion lobbying against the right to repair.

The fact that "right to repair" is even a thing strikes me as patently loving absurd, and is maybe one of the most obvious examples of late-stage capitalist bullshit on display at present. I bought the thing, I own the thing, I should be able to fix the thing without buying proprietary tools or taking it to some shady repair kiosk or backwoods mechanic.

When I was young I always hoped we'd end up in a cool Road Warrior dystopia where I could at least roam the wastelands in a dune buggy wearing spikes on my shoulder pads and palling around with feral kids that look like Steven Tyler, but nooooooo, we have to get stuck with the Wall-E/Idiocracy dystopia instead.

Sir, this is a Carl's jr. Would you like some extra big rear end fries with that?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

I got a double western with crisscut fries and a chocolate shake a month or so ago, and it was over 20 dollars :sigh:

Even taco bell is like $5 for a quesa dilla now

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Prettz posted:

Yeah the early 2000s were weird about jeans
Pre-ruined baggy jeans and then some guys were wearing flared jeans that were disturbingly close to bell-bottoms, which was at the time grosser than tight jeans would be 5 years later

loving boot cut jeans

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Atopian posted:

Am I and the other person saying "use your loving phone as a remote" invisible?

Why does anyone tolerate collecting a pile of single-use controllers in tyool2023 when almost everyone carries around a general purpose computer in their pocket?

Edit: "Oh poo poo my horse is acting up! Maybe it's angry that it has to share stable space with my Ferrari!"
Man what.

Honestly I like the apps, it's just they take forever to load sometimes.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Every hotel has an alarm clock with an iPod/phone dock but it's always whatever phone you don't have or the wrong generation.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

ProperCauldron posted:

When you go to big stores like Target or Home Depot and suddenly your phone internet no longer works. Like god forbid you want to research products n prices, check out market. I deserve a reward for walking into your store, instead I get a punishment. Pretty evil I gotta say.

Baby's first faraday cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

I have driven many new cars and the safety stuff is all garbage and detrimental and unsafe

Yeah I'd rather be thrown clear