Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bought some tortilla chips, which have tripled in price in the last 4 years and repeatedly shrunk in size, and noticed that the bag has not only a viewing window--pretty standard thing--but a reflective back panel, perhaps to create the illusion of "wow, more chips."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

naem posted:

food prices jumping so much has me honestly concerned

I also used to wonder why my grandparent’s generation would make such a big deal about food, always offering and the making a big deal out of it, I think they went without more than many have the last few decades. We might be returning to harder times

This passage kinda haunts me, even though I should be armored against stuff like it:

E.M. Forster in 1909 posted:

Time passed, and they resented the defects no longer. The defects had not been remedied, but the human tissues in that latter day had become so subservient, that they readily adapted themselves to every caprice of the Machine. The sigh at the crises of the Brisbane symphony no longer irritated Vashti; she accepted it as part of the melody. The jarring noise, whether in the head or in the wall, was no longer resented by her friend. And so with the mouldy artificial fruit, so with the bath water that began to stink, so with the defective rhymes that the poetry machine had taken to emit. All were bitterly complained of at first, and then acquiesced in and forgotten. Things went from bad to worse unchallenged.

It was otherwise with the failure of the sleeping apparatus. That was a more serious stoppage. There came a day when over the whole world — in Sumatra, in Wessex, in the innumerable cities of Courland and Brazil — the beds, when summoned by their tired owners, failed to appear. It may seem a ludicrous matter, but from it we may date the collapse of humanity.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Extra row of tits posted:

Woah woah woah…

Do you know what book this is from? I used to own it and have been looking for a copy for ages, if I remember right it has to fingertips nearly touching with electricity running between them.

The Machine Stops, a short story I first read in an Adbusters way back in the early aughts, in a mighty bookstore chain long since turned to dust. The story is also public domain and easily found online, maybe you read it in an anthology book?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Woolie Wool posted:

How long until ISPs start attempting to DRM internet connections to stop this? As a bonus, you'll have no choice but to buy their marked up lovely routers too.

Not DRM, but:

My landlord forced all of us to allow Comcast to enter our homes and install XFinity modems. A month prior they put ads up about this exciting opportunity to have XFinity "preinstalled" in our apartments.

A personable sales guy showed up at my place and, since Comcast is a local monopoly, he already knew I was a customer. Since he had access to my account, he knew I had my own modem and router (drat right I have a pihole), and didn't give me any crap about having to switch over to their hardware.

Instead, I am responsible for storing and keeping their hardware safe. A relatively minor gripe (at least I don't have to use my electricity to run their hotspot), but they and my landlord can go to hell anyway.

That "preinstalled" modem/router that I had no choice but to house in my place would cost me an extra fifteen bucks per month to "lease," in addition to cost of Comcast's internet service.

What an opportunity.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If I spent enough time on wikia I'd probably just sub to a ublock origin list targeting its annoyances or manually block them. This thread reminded me to add adguard to my phone as a DNS though, thanks thread. Ththread.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Application titlebars are friggin huge these days, even on phones, and the bottom of apps like Gmail are taken up with a half inch of buttons I don't want and can't get rid of.

Then, there's orienting your screen horizontally and those screen elements don't resize or disaappear to accomodate the very clear lack of vertical space.

Then the keyboard slides up when you need to type, and it includes a gutter with a single button on it for hiding the keyboard, yes, taking up vertical space.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 14, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I posted a job on LinkedIn and I regretted it almost immediately. Constant emails like the service has emotional and co-dependency issues, from multiple lists I was opted-in to by default, and the UI to unsubscribe had little rhetorical tricks that still technically kept you subscribed to the messages.

No one applied, so rather than deal with their garbage I just blocked them forever and let my job ads expire.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Outrail posted:

The only really useful measure of Amazon ratings is to sort by recent, quickly scroll through and see how many 1 start reviews there have been in the last six months.

ReviewMeta will also apply some algorithmic stuff to Amazon reviews in an attempt to suss out the fakes. Id still take it's results with a big ol grain of salt, since its tech is probably long in the tooth. Use camelcamelcamel to check price history also.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Biplane posted:

Abolish air travel, except for medical transport.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ryde posted:

Half of my kid's grandparents live in Japan and the other half live in the US, how will they go visit them?

do you think this thread is actually going to abolish air travel

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Avoid developing a dependence upon apps, streaming, and software as a service, is what I'm concluding from this thread.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There isn't a single piece of web content that's worth seeing an ad for

If you see an ad you can't block hit da bricks

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Netflix recommendations make YouTube recommendations look like mind reading.

Yo, I said "Not for me," I never want to see Adam Sandler's goddamn face again

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I see those kinds of DVDs at the library, and sometimes the quality is pretty crappy too, to boot. The DVD of Dune looked like a grainy mess, such that the end credits were completely unreadable.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I mentioned that Albrae town hall meeting to a couple homeowning friends today, spent the next hour hearing lectures that began with "I'm not racist, but..."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just buy the same cheapo wired earbuds about every nine months (when they break) and have a fifteen dollar wireless earpiece for phone calls and podcasts. Never gonna pay $200 for apple anything.

Time_pants posted:

Premium streaming services need to gently caress off with advertising to their paying customers. That was the final straw that got me to end my subscription with the WWE Network a few years ago. Some of the ads were inexplicable, too. Why are you advertising a pay-per-view that happened 6 years ago? That's a really weird thing to do, WWE!

*Taps the sign*

doctorfrog posted:

There isn't a single piece of web content that's worth seeing an ad for

If you see an ad you can't block hit da bricks

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

All You Can Eat posted:

I see in the splash pattern that person was very lucky. The toner somehow missed exactly where he was standing.

I wonder what the inside of their lungs looked like after that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Plan R posted:

I'm looking at windows 10 calendar, making a few appointments and reminders. It's now telling me the whole thing will be stripped out and replaced by Outlook next year.

loving hell. is it too much to ask for a functioning calendar?

If you just need a desktop application, EssentialPIM might still be free and good. Heck, see if you can find an old version of Palm Desktop.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You can turn off your view history and you'll never see another nazi video. I don't think I've ever been recommended poo poo like that.

Yeah, this. I mostly watch videos from channels I've subscribed to, and I mostly see recommendations from these channels, and these channels only. I generally ignore anything that isn't from a channel I'm specifically interested in.

I don't see YouTube as being a continuous stream of entertainment mind-reading, but a place I go to watch specific videos that I've picked out. That is, I rely on myself, not YouTube, to pick things for me to watch. And if there's nothing on there to watch, I stop looking and don't watch anything.

I can't think of a single service that has been good, at all, at recommending me things that are good for me. So I ignore recommendations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

the Nexusmods solution: every month you download a resource pack of the hottest meme images and an assortment of hip fonts, and a browser plugin assembles the latest memes from them based on a simple scripting language anyone can learn. Or, just install our app!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Found out today you can't make a copy of a folder in Google Drive

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

1: Whoops, my browser lost focus, let me click on it to bring it back, and, oh, there's literally nowhere I can click on this web page that doesn't result in either a video playing, or a new page loading.

2: Hm, let me read this interesting passage, but first, where the hell can my mouse go that doesn't result in something popping up in front of the text I'm trying to read?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TVGM posted:

This. I guess the current metric is to see if they're a public company, if so :sever:

An enshittification index would be nice.

Consumerist.com used to chronicle the post-2008 slide into what we're now living every day, but it folded some time ago.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AntennaPod (Android) is free and open source, so no ads or data collection (except those baked into the podcasts themselves), and if it dies, someone will fork it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm guessing that YouTube lowered the quality of 1080p video, labeled the previous decent quality of 1080p video as "enhanced" and wants money for it. Kinda like "family size" food packaging.

nothing on youtube is worth paying for, or watching a single ad for. shut up and play videos, or don't, I don't care.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DrBouvenstein posted:

And the logo is butt:

I'm not seeing a butt, but I am seeing a chimpanzee skull

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When they merged the platforms they decided to go with the least recognizable name option.

I think it's more "let's continue colonizing common words with our branding."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Denim Dude posted:

I did this using the element zapper/picker but found I couldn't scroll down the page. I'm not trying to read comments but sometimes I want to see the video description to see if they added system specs on a game performance review. It bugged the poo poo out of me so I thought I'd try to find something better. found an older reddit post from March with some filters I could try. I added them and it and it didn't work. Then I added them and closed the browser and reopened and it's been 100% normal since.

filters for ublock origin;

youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)
youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)

I'd be curious on some feed back to see if it works for other people.

Also I heard for mobile whatever the new fork of youtube vanced is still working but I really don't watch youtube on mobile so I didn't check.

Sometimes, when you zap an irritating element on a page, there's an invisible lightbox that locks things up. You can sometimes just zap that invisible thing. I used to go all detective when things like this happen, but these days I try to rely on EasyList and Fanboy annoyance lists, because sometimes I break other stuff. Often all it takes is a little waiting.

The real tragedy for me will be when yt-dlp no longer works or is lawyered out of existence. These days I like to download longer-form videos and just watch them without the use of a browser.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

bossy lady posted:

Bandcamp is probably hosed:

https://www.wired.com/story/epic-games-sale-bandcamp-music-platform-limbo/

There goes the last thing I cared about on the internet. gently caress you Epic. They probably just bought Bandcamp to play Lawsuit Games (TM) with Apple.

goddammit

This was the one decent online music service, acres of albums I've gotten from there. At least I can still download them, for now.

Cerekk posted:

This is as good a time as any to remind people that AccuWeather's business model is to take the freely available National Weather Service forecasts, repackage them, and charge for them, and that they have repeatedly lobbied Congress to make it illegal for the National Weather Service to provide free forecasts to the public.

Don't use AccuWeather

I did not know this. It's like they want to be the TurboTax of weather, or some other, much more on-point analogy of corporate power over public good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dip Viscous posted:

As is the text only forecast, which is what I keep bookmarked on my phone.

Same here. For quick news, I also use text.npr.org. Anyone else got some decent text based sites?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cheap generic LightDims from Amazon have worked for me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I lived pretty good before YouTube and I'll live pretty good without it, if they eventually defeat ad blocking. I get more than half my current sit-around entertainment from YouTube, but I once could have said the same thing about Twitch. Life goes on.

Anyway, I think the "enhanced 1080p" is as much a sign of what's to come as this first shot fired over ad blockers. Degrade the quality of the product until the user does what you want them to, which is pay up and/or watch ads.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At this point--and no judgement on anyone else--I'd embarrassed to pay for a YouTube subscription. I'd feel (no judgement! This is just my personal feeling, and only about myself!) like a little bitch.

edit: vvvv sure, I want to make clear, that I do not feel this way about nice van. Only that I'd feel like a dang sucker at this point to give Google even a dollar of my personal money, when a) they're an ad company and b) they play their services like a shell game.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 13, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have this unfounded hope that the popularity of junk food and convenience food will keep real food mostly not-terrible and its price at least somewhat anchored to reality. Like, if everyone else keeps buying crap and shoveling it into their gullets, in spite of the obvious price gouging and consumer complaints, I'll still be able to cook a decent meal from actual food, as though this meek activity is somehow beneath the notice of big ag.

Eggs and carrots have gotten weird and expensive at times but it's not too hard to pivot to something nutritious and available and reasonably priced, so I can afford to feel smug when I read about complaints of highly priced hamburgers and shrinking portion sizes at fast food chains, or arcane reformulations of pizza crust that was never good in the first place.

Last couple years sure feel like I'm in the early stages of a game of dodgeball with the quality and price of produce though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Improv comedy: it's great fun live, but in nearly all cases, not nearly as good on televised series or in movies. But it seems to be everywhere.

Even scripted comedy will sometimes have the feel of having been based on an improv bit, quickly written into a script, then filmed as quickly as possible with plenty of adlibbing, and just edit out the least funny bits, make it choppy so it feels quippy. You know Reno 911? Let's make that the model for all comedy now, plus an ensemble cast that snipes at each other like The Office.

I just watched S2 of Avenue 5, and it feels so improvvy everywhere, you could strip all the unfunny bits out of it and you'd have a solid hour of halfway decent, scathing, funny television. But no, we have to delay the action for five minutes while an actor appears to stumble through a dated bit where she mistakes siblings as a couple and can't let it go until it's clear she has accidentally encouraged them to have children. Has nothing to do with the plot, and incest jokes were old at least 15 years ago. Keep it in!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LimaBiker posted:

Some things (like navigating a file system) are just very important. I had to help someone who was completely clueless about how to get files off their almost completely broken smartphone without a specific kind of software that would copy files for them - which broke or didn't work on a certain computer anymore.

You can just plug the phone into your PC set it to USB file transfer, approach it like a USB stick, and copy the pictures from whatever folder you want in windows explorer.

I'm all for making things easier, but very often things don't in fact get easier when corporations try (or pretend) to make things easier for the user. Removing full file access to your own device is making things shittier.

the latest update to Kindles, I've read, (are starting to?) change the file transfer protocol from plain ol' USB Mass to MTP. (https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2023/09/01/kindle-scribe-now-supports-mtp-instead-of-usb-mass-storage-after-update/)

quote:

Using MTP is causing some issues for those that use Calibre to manage their ebook library because now the Scribe is being recognized as an MTP device instead of a Kindle, but hopefully things will get worked out soon.

It’s hard to see how this change benefits users at all. In fact it makes things more difficult in some ways. The question is why is Amazon suddenly and without any warning making this change? Something is going on behind the curtain that we don’t know about.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 21, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

E: I was dumb

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 28, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 26, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Remulak posted:

TV companies want to move TVs. On TVs the netflix, etc, buttons on the remote exist only to get paid by netflix, etc, allegedly paying Roku a dollar per remote. As the for apps, even the minimal amount of engineering resources is just a money sink and a reason for people NOT to buy a new TV.

Of course, it's ad space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

shazbot posted:

My air filters app is texting me

can't wait for text prediction to take over this part of things. It'll be a plugin they'll lease from Microsoft/OpenAI, and it'll converse like a middle schooler imitating an appliance in a Philip K. Dick novel.